Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,283 members, 7,780,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:32 PM

What Has Marriage Taught You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Has Marriage Taught You? (9845 Views)

What Open Marriage Taught One Man About Feminism / Has Marriage Been Made Marriage So Undesirable? / Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Marriage Taught You? by eremy: 8:57am On Nov 04, 2012
I have learnt to not try to change my spouse but to change myself if I really desire a change.

You are welcome to share yours.

Only serious contributions needed please.

5 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by k2039: 9:14am On Nov 04, 2012
I'm not married yet,but if their is anything I have learnt from marriages around me is that;

1)Divorce is predictable

2)Many oaths taken and promises made before marriage will just vanish with time

3)Love alone is not sufficient to have a prosperous marriage

4)Take your time to know somone before you marry them,because marriage doesnt change people,it reveals people(like my mum will tell me,marry your best friend)

12 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 04, 2012
eremy: I have learnt to not try to change my spouse but to change myself if I really desire a change.

You are really making sense here.guess you are living in Nigeria
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 10:31am On Nov 04, 2012

31 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 10:35am On Nov 04, 2012
Marriage has taught me that no one wins an argument or a fight at the end of the day, you just torture each other so it is easier to make up than to carry on with beef.
Marriage has taught me that it is better to be open and honest and avoid silly games and schemes
Marriage has taught me that men are not mind readers, you want something say it and dont assume they will get the signs or clues
Marriage has taught me that the annoying little habit of your partner like making a mess is what makes them special and different.

13 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Sxsells: 11:09am On Nov 04, 2012
It has taught me that I will spend much more than when single..
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Sxsells: 11:09am On Nov 04, 2012
It has taught me that I will spend much more than when single..

2 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by dan55: 11:12am On Nov 04, 2012
nofin
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by member16: 11:14am On Nov 04, 2012
debrief08: Marriage has taught me that no one wins an argument or a fight at the end of the day, you just torture each other so it is easier to make up than to carry on with beef.
Marriage has taught me that it is better to be open and honest and avoid silly games and schemes
Marriage has taught me that men are not mind readers, you want something say it and dont assume they will get the signs or clues
Marriage has taught me that the annoying little habit of your partner like making a mess is what makes them special and different.
Making a lot of sense.
He's a lucky lucky man..

chaircover: Hmmmmmmm!!! a lot of things.

Marriage has taught me patience and tolerance. It has taught me how to forgive and it has taught me how to talk especially when I am angry. It has taught me how to communicate effectively. I never used to give people second chances and If you offended me I used to bottle it up and stop speaking to you and I could hold a grudge for years but Marriage has taken that from me.

It has taught me not to be selfish and it has taught me the real meaning of the word love. I used to think that love was those butterfly in the stomach feeling one used to feel but I know know that it is a deep seated awesome feeling that grows each day.

having kids has also mellowed me down and made me more tolerant of people because my kids are not perfect because I their mother am not perfect and therefore I cant expect perfection from people.

I also learnt the hard way that you could start off being right in an argument but if care is not taken you could end up being the offender. I learnt that not all questions have answers and I learnt that not all things follow logic. I also learnt that not all battles are worth fighting and the word Sorry is one of the most important words in my vocab.

Kai!!! Ive learnt a lot o! Its true what our mothers say. . . .Ike oko ile eko. can someone translate that for me please.
Like it when women realize that all the things they see in bollywood movies are just fantasy but there's actually much more to relationship and love! Than just serenading them.

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Attention(f): 11:17am On Nov 04, 2012
it has taught me to be more caring and considerate, to open up no more keeping secrets, has taught me proper planning and saving for tomorrow!

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by safeLove(f): 11:26am On Nov 04, 2012
Marriage has thaught me maturity,tolerance and how to communicate better.
It has thought me the usefulness of these words : US,WE,PLEASE,SORRY,THANK YOU.

3 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by dazzler1: 11:33am On Nov 04, 2012
That a natural man cannot love but can only lust. A godly man can love because love is of God.
Love has deep-seated meaning devoid of deception.
You give,give,give,give,... all forever without expecting anything in return.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by yahooman: 11:33am On Nov 04, 2012
Marriage has
safeLove: Marriage has [b]thaught [/b]me maturity,tolerance and how to communicate better.
It has thought me the usefulness of these words : US,WE,PLEASE,SORRY,THANK YOU.

Taught
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by manugbo(m): 11:42am On Nov 04, 2012
marriage has taught me that package doesnt really matter, but what matters most is the quality of its content.
and overtime, i ve come to understand that it is better to marry your best friend.
Before marriage, both parties should go for total medical check up together.
not gud to go into sex before marraige

2 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by owners: 11:44am On Nov 04, 2012
Marriage has taught me to forgive quickly, love unconditionally, to be a good listener,slow to speak and always on my knees in prayers for my family. I am amaze at how I have transform to be a better person,i keep growing daily.

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by member16: 11:45am On Nov 04, 2012
manugbo: marriage has taught me that package doesnt really matter, but what matters most is the quality of its content.
and overtime, i ve come to understand that it is better to marry your best friend.
Before marriage, both parties should go for total medical check up together.
not gud to go into sex before marraige
Am curious to know your reasons?

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by PRD(m): 11:47am On Nov 04, 2012

Marriage has taught me patience and tolerance. It has taught me how to forgive and it has taught me how to talk especially when I am angry. It has taught me how to communicate effectively. I never used to give people second chances and If you offended me I used to bottle it up and stop speaking to you and I could hold a grudge for years but Marriage has taken that from me.

It has taught me not to be selfish and it has taught me the real meaning of the word love. I used to think that love was those butterfly in the stomach feeling one used to feel but I know know that it is a deep seated awesome feeling that grows each day.

having kids has also mellowed me down and made me more tolerant of people because my kids are not perfect because I their mother am not perfect and therefore I cant expect perfection from people.

I also learnt the hard way that you could start off being right in an argument but if care is not taken you could end up being the offender. I learnt that not all questions have answers and I learnt that not all things follow logic. I also learnt that not all battles are worth fighting and the word Sorry is one of the most important words in my vocab.

Kai!!! Ive learnt a lot o! Its true what our mothers say. . . .Ike oko ile eko. can someone translate that for me please.
The husband's house is a learning house.

2 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Holuwadammie(m): 11:48am On Nov 04, 2012
eremy: I have learnt to not try to change my spouse but to change myself if I really desire a change.

Well, am not married but what i av understand about marriage was dat is d grooming of two individuals with diffferent family backgrounds dat av different identity but very difficult to know each other characters. But at tymes goes on dey understand each other.
The keyword for marriage are patience, endureance, trust, maturity,courage and the couple shud tried to avoid their matters to 3rd parties.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by question(m): 12:04pm On Nov 04, 2012
It is very clear in marriage that "all that glitters is not gold".
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by alienYOUTH(m): 12:07pm On Nov 04, 2012
- Marriage has taught me to almost not think about/take care of myself and focus all my efforts @ making my Wife and Kids comfortable.

- Marriage/Fatherhood has shown me why my parents used to behave like they did towards us as kids.

- Marriage has taught me not to bicker @ every fault or annoyance & jst let some things slide by for d sake of peace (Patience & Longsuffering).

- Marriage has taught me to rely on God more, no man can run things alone.

- Marriage has driven me continually to strive for success @ all possible & reasonable cost; cos i cant afford to fail/relax with all these dependants behind me *Sleepless nights & Caffeine addiction sad*.

2 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by jambogini: 12:08pm On Nov 04, 2012
married and separared not really easy, am still learning
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 04, 2012
All these marriage threads never fail to depress me.
Look at all the sad lessons people are learning. . .
(Try not to change your spouse but change yourself, the annoying habit of your spouse makes them special and different, all that glitters is not gold, be patient and long suffering.) sad

8 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by r231(m): 12:28pm On Nov 04, 2012
undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by dazzler1: 1:01pm On Nov 04, 2012
fellis: All these marriage threads never fail to depress me.
(Try not to change your spouse but change yourself, the annoying habit of your spouse makes them special and different, all that glitters is not gold, be patient and long suffering.) sad

Are you married? What depressed you about marriage talk/tolerating your partner? Both wife & husband are not perfect.They only need to see strength in eachother's weakness. The more you talk about it,the more knowledge u get.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Nov 04, 2012
fellis: All these marriage threads never fail to depress me.
The annoying habit I wrote about is not a slap or cheating or major things, it things like hugging the remote, chewing like a cow, pouring water on the bathroom floor, scattering clothes, being a neat freak.
What is depressing about that?
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by greatgod2012(f): 1:27pm On Nov 04, 2012
Marriage is teaching me to be humble, tolerant, loving, patient, adaptable ,trustworthy and focused. Infact, marriage is a school on its own, u keep learning and learning and learning as much as u are still married, u keep learning, dt is why i did not use "has taught" because im still learning and i will continue learning.

4 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Ijebulogic(m): 1:29pm On Nov 04, 2012
Make sure you marry your true friend who makes you laugh....everything else will work out.

3 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Chubhie: 1:33pm On Nov 04, 2012

I also learnt the hard way that you could start off being right in an argument but if care is not taken you could end up being the offender.I learnt that not all questions have answers and I learnt that not all things follow logic. I also learnt that not all battles are worth fighting and the word Sorry is one of the most important words in my vocab.

Words on marble!!!! Amazing to see years of experience,compressed into fewer lines.For those still evolving, take a moment and digest these lines.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by k2039: 1:39pm On Nov 04, 2012
greatgod2012: Marriage is teaching me to be humble, tolerant, loving, patient, adaptable ,trustworthy and focused. Infact, marriage is a school on its own, u keep learning and learning and learning as much as u are still married, u keep learning, dt is why i did not use "has taught" because im still learning and i will continue learning.

I just saw some of your past grades

Marriage101:A
Marriage201:A
Marriage301:A
Marriage401:A
Marriage501:A

Expecting A's in the remaining courses
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by richfaxy: 1:44pm On Nov 04, 2012
Patience and tolerance and long suffering
It takes patience to be able to live with your wife and tolerance to be able to endure somethings from her.

Never to try to change my spouse, cos that's who they are.

thought me not to be to quick to jump into conclusions, but rather give my spouse the benefit of the doubt or hear the person out before i start reacting cos, their might be a genuine reason for their actions

You can never understand a woman.

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by EfemenaXY: 1:46pm On Nov 04, 2012
No long story.

Patience and Understanding.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 04, 2012
dazzler1:

Are you married? What depressed you about marriage talk/tolerating your partner? Both wife & husband are not perfect.They only need to see strength in eachother's weakness. The more you talk about it,the more knowledge u get.
I am not married.
I am the type of person that likes to solve problems rather than tolerate them. Trying to see the strength in another's weaknesses, (especially weaknesses that are problematic to me or that inconvinience me) rather than eliminating them, might be difficult. But I guess I will just have to learn to do it.

debrief08:
The annoying habit I wrote about is not a slap or cheating or major things, it things like hugging the remote, chewing like a cow, pouring water on the bathroom floor, scattering clothes, being a neat freak.
What is depressing about that?
Ok. Thanks for being specific and mentioning that the habits are not so bad.
Except for things like pouring water on the floor or scattering clothes, those are things that would be very annoying to me if he does them and expects me to always be responsible for tidying up after him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Just Don't Understand My Marriage Anymore... Please Help.. / My Future Sister-In-Law Is Hard To Please / Ladies How Do You Manage Loose Vagina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.