Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,767 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland (3139 Views)

Abducted Muslim Children Forcefully Converted To Christianity In Edo Idp Camp. / Popular Christians That Converted To Atheism / Some Muslims Will Make Heaven While Some Christians Will Not. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 04, 2012
After going through posts & threads made by some christian- to-atheist converts, I came to these conclusions:

1. Most of them were dedicated church goers and do not understand christianity when they were christians!

2. Most of them were church doctrine followers and not good bible students. They probably left Christianity for Atheism because they were tired of obeying silly church laws & doctrines!

3. Most of them were victims of false teachings & doctrines. That's why they see biblical teachings as illogical & silly!

4. Most of them prayed without faith when they were christians and expected answers. How can you pray without faith and expect answers or miracles to happen?

5. Some were victims of tithe fraud!

An atheist is not supposed to be worried about religious people's heaven or hell, since he/she doesn't have faith or believe in the existence of a God. They aren't supposed to bash religious people or engage them in debates on topics relating to God/heave &/or hell because they do not believe in anything that has to do with the existence of God. But from what I have observed so far, most christian-to-atheist converts had problems with christianity and left because of at least one of the points I listed above!

Advice to my christian brethren & sisters: If you are a church goer, study your bible with honesty, praying & asking for the holy spirit to lead & give you wisdom to understand it very well. Do not rely on teachings from your Pastors (MOGs) or some silly church doctrines & interpretations of scriptures! Decipher scripture with scripture!

If you are not a church goer or do not have a church but do believe in Christ, study your bible at home & pray that the holy spirit leads you & give you understanding; share with brethren online too.

Scripture says:

Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Use scripture to explain & interpret scripture. Brethren & sisters, if you do not do these but rely only on your so-called pastors & church doctrines, you'll end up becoming a stiff-necked atheist!

These are my observations. What are your views?

Please, no bashing o...Na my views on wetin dey go on be that.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:02am On Nov 04, 2012
seriallink:
After going through posts & threads made by some christian- to-atheists converts, I came to these conclusions:
1. Most of them were dedicated churchgoers and do not understand christianity when they were christians!
Lol..
a. Most churchgoers do not understand Christianity. They remain Christians, so that despite living a life that's contrary to the little truth Christianity teaches, they may just 'sneak' into heaven.
b. Understanding Christianity and religion in particular should lead to this truth: All religions are fables made by man. TO understand any of them, you need 'FAITH'..
c. Even the BIBLE talks about those who understand Christianity and still leave it..
Hebrews 6:4
4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age 6 and who have fallen[c] away, to be brought back to repentance.

seriallink:
2. Most of them were church doctrine followers and not good bible students. They probably left Christianity for Atheism because they were tired of obeying silly church laws & doctrines!
Well, you called the church laws and doctrines silly.. I'll skip this then..

seriallink:
3. Most of them were victims of false teachings & doctrines. That's why they see biblical teachings as illogical & silly!
And what are these false teachings/doctrines? Tithes, Seeds, Trinity.. funny, even Christians on this board can't make up their mind on what's wrong and right..

seriallink:
4. Most of them prayed without faith when they were christians and expected answers. How can you pray without faith and expect answers or miracles to happen?
Lol, reminds me of that quote "Religion - creates the virus, sells the antivirus"

Luke 17

5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”
6 He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.
There's nothing wrong with anyone's faith. There's only a God that pretends to answer prayers. If you see the results, it's GOD. if not, you didn't pray according to HIS will. either way, the crook called GOD wins.. original 419..

seriallink:
Well, Oyedepo's church still has so many members....

seriallink:
An atheist is not supposed to be worried about religious people's heaven or hell, since he/she doesn't have faith or believe in the existence of a God. They aren't supposed to bash religious people or engage them in debates on topics relating to God/heaven &/or hell because they do not believe in anything that has to do with the existence of God. But from what I have observed so far, most christian-to-atheist converts had problems with christianity because of at least one of the points I listed above!

In the same way, Christians shouldn't have problems with Muslims or vice versa. As long as one's religious beliefs aren't kept private, then problems/misunderstandings will continue to arise.

seriallink:
Advice to my christian brethren & sisters: If you are a churchgoer, study your bible with honesty, praying & asking for the holy spirit to lead & give you wisdom to understand it very well. Do not rely on teachings from your Pastors (MOGs) or some silly church doctrines & interpretations of scriptures! Decipher scripture with scripture!

If you are not a churchgoer or do not have a church but believe in Christ, study your bible at home & pray that the holy spirit leads you & give you understanding; share with brethren online too.

Great advice.. better an atheist than a ZOMBIE CHRISTIAN...

seriallink:
Scripture says:
Isaiah 28:10 For precept [must be] upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little:
Use scripture to explain & interpret scripture. Brethren & sisters, if you do not do these; but rely only on your so-called pastors & church doctrines, you'll end up becoming a stiff-necked atheist!
These are my observations. What are your own views?

Thank you.
Good day, broda.. smiley
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Kay17: 10:06am On Nov 04, 2012
Also one can choose to bash a religion or not
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 04, 2012
Kay 17: Also one can choose to bash a religion or not

Lol bros, you dey vex oh! No need to bash them since you do not believe in the existence of their God grin
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 04, 2012
Actually most atheists on nairaland weren't dedicated christians, just people who sat down to think.
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by PastorAIO: 12:57pm On Nov 04, 2012
seriallink:

Thank you.

I'm curious as to how someone can have expectations without Faith. I wonder what your definition of Faith is, and how someone can find himself or herself with expectations when they do not have faith.

seriallink:
An atheist is not supposed to be worried about religious people's heaven or hell, since he/she doesn't have faith or believe in the existence of a God. They aren't supposed to bash religious people or engage them in debates on topics relating to God/heaven &/or hell because they do not believe in anything that has to do with the existence of God. But from what I have observed so far, most christian-to-atheist converts had problems with christianity because of at least one of the points I listed above!

I think a lot depends on whether or not we see religion as solely a personal matter or whether we see it as a Civic matter as well. If just a personal matter then everybody can do their own in private and outsiders don't even have to know what your religion is. However if it is a civic matter then there must be consensus so everybody must bring their own arguments to the fray where the consensus will be bashed out.
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by EreluY(f): 2:38pm On Nov 04, 2012
[b]Christianity, like any other world religions, is a scam. Christians, including this writer, like adherents of other world religions are scammers living double lifestyles. Imagine the atrocious secrets exposed by the Pope's former butler; consider the sex scandal rocking the Roman Catholic Church; imagine the scandalous financial empires built around Oyedepo, Okoties, Asimolowo, etc; and imagine Islam which allegedly is a religion of peace and whose adherents are responsible for the most violent crimes of the 21st century CE. To come to this site and spew rubbish to explicate why some gravitated from theism (and I am one of them) to atheism (agnosticism in my case) exemplifies scammers that adherents of religions are.

Because scammers are liars and because liars often contradict themselves so is their scriptures. For example, Genesis 1: 26-27 contradicts Genesis 2: 7, 21-22. In the former, God allegedly created man and woman simultaneously ["God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them"]. In the latter, man was allegedly first created and woman thereafter allegedly created from man ["Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being...So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man"].

The bible from the very first narrative - the creation stories - grossly conradict itself, symbolising and exemplifying a scam that the book is in all its entirety.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:51pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^Thanks for your views! But I said 'no bashing' nah grin. You don't believe in their God, why bash them? Well, you are entitled to your opinion! What I wrote up there is only an advice for my Christian brethen & Sisters!
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by plaetton: 3:43pm On Nov 04, 2012
My journey to atheism.

I was never a dedicated christian(whatever that means).
Like everyone else, I was forced-fed on christianity before I was able to think. When I was able to think, I tried very much to make sense of it, but somehow,it never made any sense. So I became obsessed with trying to understand it. They more I looked, The more I prayed to the holy spirit to come into me and make me understand, the less sense it all made.
God was a contradiction,Jesus was a contradiction, the Pope was a contradiction, prayer was a contradiction,blessing was a contradiction,sin was contradiction,forgiveness was a contradiction, judgement, heaven and hell were all contradictions.

At a time when being born again was in vogue, I was the odd person out. I tried so much to see the light, I read the bible day and night, I prayed for the holy spirit to infuse my mind with its mystery and new way of understanding,but all to no avail.
The more I tried , the more silly the whole thing seemed.

In my tender age, the very important tangents occured when,in my search, I discovered ,

A. That Jesus was neither from my Village, the neighboring village, nor even my townsman.lol
B. That Israel was not even In Africa, but in a very far place that most people cannot even find on a map.
C. That Jesus lived 2000yrs ago(that was a real shocker)
D.Finally, when in class two secondary school, I read Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart and finally realized how Christianity came to our shores as perfect tool for the pacification,division and control of African people.
It struck me as not being a mere coincidence that modern Europeans themselves were not teaching religion to their children because they themselves had long jettisoned religion.

By mid secondary school, I had confirmed that organised religion was the perfect fraud.
However, I remained puzzled about the nature of god, and was still intrigued by ,and even revered the character of Jesus, based solely on the teachings attributed to him. By this time, I had become an Agnostic.
So my hunger and thirst for understanding religion only increased. So over the years ,I went on a reading frenzy to discover all I could about the various religions and their histories, especially the Judeo-Christian religions.

Another turning point in my road to atheism occurred some years ago when , one after another as if by design , I cam across in a bookstore, 3 books that really laid rest to my mind, the mystery of god.

The first one was the Pulitzer-Award winning book by former Jesuit priest Jack Miles, aptly titled, "God, A Biography". This is recommended reading for everyone.
The other book,again a best seller,by British Journalist Karen Armstrong titled " The History of God" even had a greater influence on my thinking.
http://www.amazon.com/History-God-000-Year-Judaism-Christianity/dp/0345384563

The third book, The one that threw the knock-out punch was titled[b] "God: A Brief History" by John Bowker[/b], former dean of Trinity College in Cambridge.
http://www.amazon.com/God-Brief-History-John-Bowker/dp/0789480506

After reading this last one, I had a sort of an epiphany, a great realization.
Yes.
OMG.
That was it .
God is a mystery because god is an evolving idea, or a set of evolving notions and ideals.
That is why god had different, even contradicting characteristics.
That is why god was different from individual to individual, from culture to culture, from era to era: Because god was in the mind. Each mind or cultural mindset, creates its own god.
That is why wicked people or wicked prophets create a wicked god, kind and loving people or prophets create a kind and loving god.
That is why greedy people and prophets create a greedy money-grabbing god.
Wow!
So the quality of the god created depends on the quality of the mind that creates it.
Bingo!!
SO I had finally found god, right in the sacred ,but fragmented precincts of the human mind.

So religion was just a set of contrived notions and ideals patched together, often by the stronger, in order to control the weaker.

As for understanding the origin and dynamics of the universe, I have turned to my scientific education in physics as my guide.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by plappville(f): 5:20pm On Nov 04, 2012
seriallink: After going through posts & threads made by some christian- to-atheists converts, I came to these conclusions:

1. Most of them were dedicated churchgoers and do not understand christianity when they were christians!

Advice to my christian brethren & sisters: If you are a churchgoer, study your bible with honesty, praying & asking for the holy spirit to lead & give you wisdom to understand it very well. Do not rely on teachings from your Pastors (MOGs) or some silly church doctrines & interpretations of scriptures! Decipher scripture with scripture!

If you are not a churchgoer or do not have a church but believe in Christ, study your bible at home & pray that the holy spirit leads you & give you understanding; share with brethren online too.

Scripture says:

Isaiah 28:10 For precept [must be] upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, [and] there a little:

Use scripture to explain & interpret scripture. Brethren & sisters, if you do not do these; but rely only on your so-called pastors & church doctrines, you'll end up becoming a stiff-necked atheist!

Thank you.

True talk! A true atheist will have no dealing with religous matters/discussion. Because it make no sense to them.
NL atheists appears to be truelly formal church goers as you say. That is why You see them all around Christian thread.

I don't have interest in Atheist discussion, so i don't visit thier thread.

Siraillink: Advice to my christian brethren & sisters: If you are a churchgoer, study your bible with honesty, praying & asking for the holy spirit to lead & give you wisdom to understand it very well. Do not rely on teachings from your Pastors (MOGs) or some silly church doctrines & interpretations of scriptures! Decipher scripture with scripture!

That was a good advise to the churchgoers who truelly seek God broda.!

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by EreluY(f): 5:23pm On Nov 04, 2012
plaetton: My journey to atheism.

Like everyone else, I was forced-fed on christianity before I was able to think. When I was able to think, I tried very much to make sense of it, but somehow,it never made any sense. So I became obsessed with trying to understand it. They more I looked, The more I prayed to the holy spirit to come into me and make me understand, the less sense it all made.
God was a contradiction,Jesus was a contradiction, the Pope was a contradiction, prayer was a contradiction,blessing was a contradiction,sin was contradiction,forgiveness was a contradiction, judgement, heaven and hell were all contradictions.

At a time when being born again was in vogue, I was the odd person out. I tried so much to see the light, I read the bible day and night, I prayed for the holy spirit to infuse my mind with its mystery and new way of understanding,but all to no avail.

In my tender age, the very important tangents occured when,in my search, I discovered ,

A. That Jesus was neither from my Village, the neighboring village, nor even my townsman.lol
B. That Israel was not even In Africa, but in a very far place that most people cannot even find on a map.
D.Finally, when in class two secondary school, I read Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart and finally realized how Christianity came to our shores as perfect tool for the pacification,division and control of African people.
It struck me as not being a mere coincidence that modern Europeans themselves were not teaching religion to their children because they themselves had long jettisoned religion.

By mid secondary school, I had confirmed that organised religion was the perfect fraud.
However, I remained puzzled about the nature of god, and was still intrigued by ,and even revered the character of Jesus, based solely on the teachings attributed to him. By this time, I had become an Agnostic.
So my hunger and thirst for understanding religion only increased. So over the years ,I went on a reading frenzy to discover all I could about the various religions and their histories, especially the Judeo-Christian religions.

Another turning point in my road to atheism occurred some years ago when , one after another as if by design , I cam across in a bookstore, 3 books that really laid rest to my mind, the mystery of god.

The first one was the Pulitzer-Award winning book by former Jesuit priest Jack Miles, aptly titled, "God, A Biography". This is recommended reading for everyone.
The other book,again a best seller,by British Journalist Karen Armstrong titled " The History of God" even had a greater influence on my thinking.

The third book, The one that threw the knock-out punch was titled[b] "God: A Brief History" by John Bowker[/b], former dean of Trinity College in Cambridge.

Yes.
OMG.
That was it .
God is a mystery because god is an evolving idea, or a set of evolving notions and ideals.
That is why god was different from individual to individual, from culture to culture, from era to era: Because god was in the mind. Each mind or cultural mindset, creates its own god.
That is why wicked people or wicked prophets create a wicked god, kind and loving people or prophets create a kind and loving god.
Wow!
So the quality of the god created depends on the quality of the mind that creates it.
Bingo!!
SO I had finally found god, right in the sacred ,but fragmented precincts of the human mind.

So religion was just a set of contrived notions and ideals patched together, often by the stronger, in order to control the weaker.

As for understanding the origin and dynamics of the universe, I have turned to my scientific education in physics as my guide.

[size=18pt]THANKS FOR SHARING THIS IMPRESSIVE JOURNEY OF YOURS![/size]

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by mollie12: 7:13pm On Nov 04, 2012
plaetton: My journey to atheism.

Yes.
OMG.
That was it .
Wow!
Bingo!!

Wow.

What a journey.

You seem convinced, so I should probably not bother trying to persuade you otherwise. But just in case you are a bit unsure about the present path choice you 've made, let me try to help you out.

The first thing I'll say is
YOU LOOKED IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES!

Or more like, WHAT EXACTLY WERE YOU LOOKING FOR ANYWAY!?!

A book by a Jesuit priest and another by an academic don?!? Guy, that's like going to the orthopaedic surgeon when I need my tooth pulled! No - there's no way you could have gotten any useful information (or help) from any of those guys.

You say Jesus lived 2000 yrs, Israel is not in Africa, bla bla bla, PLEASE HOW DO ANY OF THOSE FACTS CONTRADICT THE GOSPEL MESSAGE!?! Or is it the same Christianity I'm thinking of that you are referring to? My brother this is HIGHLY CONFUSING!

I read 'Things fall apart' and see the story of imperfect man, using the perfect message of Christ to achieve selfish ends, you read the same book and see... otherwise. I guess I'll just put that to perception.

The true God, His true Son, and their true Gospel message is out there and cannot be tainted by whatever anyone thinks or says or perceives.

I'll plead with you to give God another shot. This time, please look in the right directions, and look with your heart.

NB: Err... we don't pray to the Holy Spirit oh, we pray to God.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by plaetton: 7:51pm On Nov 04, 2012
mollie12:

Wow.

What a journey.

You seem convinced, so I should probably not bother trying to persuade you otherwise. But just in case you are a bit unsure about the present path choice you 've made, let me try to help you out.

A book by a Jesuit priest and another by an academic don?!? Guy, that's like going to the orthopaedic surgeon when I need my tooth pulled! No - there's no way you could have gotten any useful information (or help) from any of those guys.

You say Jesus lived 2000 yrs, Israel is not in Africa, bla bla bla, PLEASE HOW DO ANY OF THOSE FACTS CONTRADICT THE GOSPEL MESSAGE!?! Or is it the same Christianity I'm thinking of that you are referring to? My brother this is HIGHLY CONFUSING!

I read 'Things fall apart' and see the story of imperfect man, using the perfect message of Christ to achieve selfish ends, you read the same book and see... otherwise. I guess I'll just put that to perception.

The true God, His true Son, and their true Gospel message is out there and cannot be tainted by whatever anyone thinks or says or perceives.

I'll plead with you to give God another shot. This time, please look in the right directions, and look with your heart.

First, I did not say the three books made me an atheist. I am convinced that I was born an atheist, to question things, especially something as important as religious beliefs.
The books led me to the realization and full acceptance of a reality that I had been running away from, even while persuing same.
The books did not reveal anything entirely new, but just helped to point out realities that I had ignored, even though they had been in plain sight all along my journey.

And from whom would you prefer to gain knowledge or useful information , some academic dons, or from stone-age cave dwellers, tent dwellers and sheep herders of the middle east? You are entitled to your choice.

I have long created my own god, an evolving god. I created it , so I set the rules, boundaries and control it. It has no choice but to evolve with my mind.

As for praying to the holy spirit, do you mean to say that I had been dialing the wrong number all this time?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Kay17: 7:55pm On Nov 04, 2012
mollie12:

Wow.

What a journey.

The true god and his true son with that desire and that want. Why isn't he questionable? Why is he a mystery? Why is he beyond reason?
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 04, 2012
plaetton:

First, I did not say the three books made me an atheist. I am convinced that I was born an atheist, to question things, especially something as important as religious beliefs.
The books led me to the realization and full acceptance of a reality that I had been running away from, even while persuing same.
The books did not reveal anything entirely new, but just helped to point out realities that I had ignored, even though they had been in plain sight all along my journey.

And from whom would you prefer to gain knowledge or useful information , some academic dons, or from stone-age tent cave dwellers, tent dwellers and sheep herders of the middle east? You are entitled to your choice.

I have long created my own god, an evolving god. I created it , so I set the rules, boundaries and control it. It has no choice but to evolve with my mind.

As for praying to the holy spirit, do you mean to say that I had been dialing the wrong number all this time?

That was exactly what I was trying to convey! You are probably one of those who dialed the wrong number grin! Give it another try with genuine faith & you'll find answers. It works brah!
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by plaetton: 8:31pm On Nov 04, 2012
seriallink:

That was exactly what I was trying to convey! You are probably one of those who dialed the wrong number grin! Give it another try with genuine faith & you'll find answers. It works brah!

And the 150 million Nigerians are the proof that it works? What number are they dialing, wrong number too?
Who has got the right number?
Let me guess, your church?
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 8:35pm On Nov 04, 2012
Their pastors didn't teach them well! grin
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 04, 2012
jammyng: Their pastors didn't teach them well! grin

plaetton:

And the 150 million Nigerians are the proof that it works? What number are they dialing, wrong number too?
Who has got the right number?
Let me guess, your church?

You must have been confusing me with soneone else grin I'm a Christians not a Churchgoer! I don't have a Church, I study my Bible at home & share with brethren online sometimes. I'm okay with that grin so, no pastor or church doctrine for me!!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by plaetton: 9:20pm On Nov 04, 2012
seriallink:

You must have been confusing me with soneone else grin I'm a Christians not a Churchgoer! I don't have a Church, I study my Bible at home & share with brethren online sometimes. I'm okay with that grin so, no pastor or church doctrine for me!!

I get you.
But do you think we would be living in a much better world,if, instead of teaching or reading a book like the bible from infancy, we teach or read to our children books on quantum physics or the unified field theory?
The religious lores are as confusing to children as quantum physics would be to them, right?. But which amongst them would engender less conflict, division, hatred and wars?
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 04, 2012
^^^I believe the world would have been a better place today if man had not been disobedient to God! God would have given us easier ways of understanding science & each other too; He created the world remember?

Scripture says:

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do [his commandments]: his praise endureth for ever.

I know none of these things makes sense to you because you don't even believe He exists! So, lets just leave it @that

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by UyiIredia(m): 12:14am On Nov 05, 2012
A question for plaetton: What if religion is actually evolving a means of understanding God in the same way science evolves to arrive at the truth ?

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by plaetton: 12:28am On Nov 05, 2012
Uyi Iredia: A question for plaetton: What if religion is actually evolving a means of understanding God in the same way science evolves to arrive at the truth ?

Good for them.
But which religion and which version of god?

God, or the idea of god, has been with mankind from the beginning. We have had many sacred books, many alters, many prophets, saviours and many visions and revelations.
If after all this time, religion is still trying to evolve a means of understanding god, then one must ask, what has all that noise,conflicts, wars and exploitations been about, since, apparently, we are yet to evolve a means of understanding god?
If religion is actually evolving a means of understanding god, then what are those TV evangelists all talking about? It means they have, just like the rest of us, been clueless all along.
I guess they just decided to milk it for what it was worth. Do you agree?
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 12:39am On Nov 05, 2012
plappville:

True talk! A true atheist will have no dealing with religous matters/discussion. Because it make no sense to them.
NL atheists appears to be truelly formal church goers as you say. That is why You see them all around Christian thread.

I don't have interest in Atheist discussion, so i don't visit thier thread.

That was a good advise to the churchgoers who truelly seek God broda.!

A true atheist? What kind of foolish term is that? There ia no such thing as true or false atheist. Get a brain

You say that a true atheist has nothing to do with religion. Please explain Buddhists who are also atheists.
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by UyiIredia(m): 1:18am On Nov 05, 2012
plaetton:

Good for them.
But which religion and which version of god?

God, or the idea of god, has been with mankind from the beginning. We have had many sacred books, many alters, many prophets, saviours and many visions and revelations.
If after all this time, religion is still trying to evolve a means of understanding god, then one must ask, what has all that noise,conflicts, wars and exploitations been about, since, apparently, we are yet to evolve a means of understanding god?
If religion is actually evolving a means of understanding god, then what are those TV evangelists all talking about? It means they have, just like the rest of us, been clueless all along.
I guess they just decided to milk it for what it was worth. Do you agree?

Partially. Some are milking it, some aren't. But I think that monotheism has finally evolved a concept of God that is accurate seeing that it has been stable for more than a millenia now.
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:26am On Nov 05, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Partially. Some are milking it, some aren't. But I think that monotheism has finally evolved a concept of God that is accurate seeing that it has been stable for more than a millenia now.

What about the trinitarians vs human Jesus?

Even christians are divided on whether Jesus is God.

Which god I ask?
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by UyiIredia(m): 1:32am On Nov 05, 2012
Logicboy03:

What about the trinitarians vs human Jesus?

Even christians are divided on whether Jesus is God.

Which god I ask?

Stop polarizing the issue by asking which God. You know most religions refer to one ultimate Creator.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by yah1(m): 1:33am On Nov 05, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Stop polarizing the issue by asking which God. You know most religions refer to one ultimate Creator.
In this respect, paganism and christianity all serve the ultimate creator, do they not?
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by UyiIredia(m): 1:39am On Nov 05, 2012
yah:

In this respect, paganism and christianity all serve the ultimate creator, do they not?

Yes, they do. In their own way.
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:41am On Nov 05, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Most religions are polytheist.

Fail. Paganism existed far before monotheism.

Fail.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by UyiIredia(m): 1:49am On Nov 05, 2012
Logicboy03:

Most religions are polytheist.

Fail. Paganism existed far before monotheism.

Fail.

But even then these pagan religions recognise an ultimate source of all life. In the Greek Mythology it was Cronos. In Ifa worship it is Eledumare. I was once in Ifa worship so I know this.
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:51am On Nov 05, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

But even then these pagan religions recognise an ultimate source of all life. In the Greek Mythology it was Cronos. In Ifa worship it is Eledumare. I was once in Ifa worship so I know this.

Didnt greek mythology also have Zeus as the head of gods?

Ifa worship? I fear you! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Reasons Why Some Christians Converted To Atheism - My Observations On Nairaland by manmustwac(m): 1:55am On Nov 05, 2012
seriallink: After going through posts & threads made by some christian- to-atheists converts, I came to these conclusions:

Scripture says:

Thank you.
this is just your own church brain's biased christian point of view about why we ex christians became atheists. Since you can't think outside the box of religionit will be very difficult for you to understand with that big mental block called faith blocking your senses angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Invent A Religion / HELP : Paranormal Activity In My House. Should I Move Out? / Why Do Catholics Confess Their Sins To Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.