Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,229 members, 7,807,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. (75740 Views)

Between Petrochemical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry And Pharmacy? / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering / "Ababio" Chemistry Textbook - Osei Yaw Ababio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Princetunas(m): 12:11pm On Nov 04, 2012
I was given admission to study Industrial chemistry instead of pharmacy and my sister advice to forfeit the admission cuz she studied microbiology and she's always being sayin that is very difficult to make it in Nigeria as a scientist and she advice me to wait til nxt year or i should study d course, so i wil later goes into business world. Pls, i want Nigerians to enlighten me about d course. (i.e job opportunities, private establishment,or other advice)
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Nobody: 1:01pm On Nov 04, 2012
Am sorry to say your sister is wrong about scientist being difficult to succeed.

Pharmacy, industrial n applied chemistry/physics, microbiolgy, food science engineering, biochemistry. These are very lucrative courses to study.
Fact is, if you do any of those courses in school and you come out with good grades, your I.q is great and you have vast knowledge in your research fields. You are going to be a hot cake in these industry.

Even while at school there's always an association or body that creates a forum for serving as link between these stydents and their prospective employers.
Take for instance my own course has a body that provides a platform for us to relate with top directors in d general meeting. At least attending d general meeting is a direct way of meeting with these top scientist from various food companies such as peak, nestle, nigeria brewries, etc.

Now back to d topic.
As an industrial chemist you can work in pharmaceutical industries and we have quite a number of them in nigeria (pfizer, edmark, neimeth, fidson, etc)
You can even work in... I'd be back to finish up. Low batt

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Princetunas(m): 3:36pm On Nov 04, 2012
Ok, interesting... (waiting)
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 04, 2012
You can also work in chemical producing companies.
Take for instance jik, detergents, pz cussons, etc.
You also fit in as a lab chemist in any production company be it steel, glass anything.
An industrial chemists can work on research fields and even fit in the food industry in some cases. Take for instance, cway that produces water dispenser. You can help in analysing the amount of chemicals being added to the water and help carry tests on developing new and beneficial chemicals.

Now, the biggest part where you are most useful is "petroleum"

Just a breakdown of d whole story:
Places where u fit after schooling are
-fibre and textile industries
-chemical production plants such as paints, cosmetics, soaps, fertlizers and explosives.
-plastic industries/ synthetics
-petrochemical industries
-Metallurgical industries such as steel, alloys for various purpose
-pharmaceutical industries
-glass industry_ most widely used such as the glass equipments, lenses, jars, panes etc
-manufacturing industries such as ceramics, cement factories
- lastly, food industry. Here u help manufacture food preservatives, flavouring, etc.

You can only fit in a part when you focus, study, and be inquisitive. Make research
Don't just be there. With your result n intelligence , you will prove to ur employer why they shouldn't let go of you.
So just throw away that impression your sister had embedded in you that its difficult for scientists to be successful. And only then would you go places. With industrial chemistry you are far better and more open to job opportunities unlike pharmacy that gives you fewer job options

9 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Princetunas(m): 5:09pm On Nov 04, 2012
Thank u very much @ candygosh. Infact, I'm very grateful.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Idacrux: 5:34pm On Nov 04, 2012
Pure and industrial chemistry is a lucrative course anywhere in d world because everithing on earth is based on chemistry.....as for ur sister may be that's not her destiny in life so dont compare her with urself.,,,,,,,,for job d other person has said it all;in addition u cn work in nafdac,shell,mobil,guiness,as a consultant.wishing u goodluck!!

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Joboms(m): 6:04pm On Nov 04, 2012
@Candygosh, what about some that studies Chemistry (not industrial)
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 04, 2012
Joboms: @Candygosh, what about some that studies Chemistry (not industrial)
You see all of these things apply to one another , maybe a little similarity n difference. Most science courses are basically labwork. You spend 80% of your time in a lab and the rest studying.

Chemistry be it applied chemistry, industrial chemistry, food chemistry, etc they are all the same just dat doing chemistry as a major in school give you the opportunity to fit anywhere in d industry too. In short "chemistry" Covers much wider areas.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Nobody: 8:26pm On Nov 04, 2012
Idacrux: Pure and industrial chemistry is a lucrative course anywhere in d world because everithing on earth is based on chemistry.....as for ur sister may be that's not her destiny in life so dont compare her with urself.,,,,,,,,for job d other person has said it all;in addition u cn work in nafdac,shell,mobil,guiness,as a consultant.wishing u goodluck!!
Exactly, including chevron, spintex, etc
The list is endless and these are industries scattered all over some parts in nigeria now.
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 04, 2012
Princetunas: Thank u very much @ candygosh. Infact, I'm very grateful.
You are welcome. So am hoping you choose wisely and focus on being someone successful
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Princetunas(m): 10:02pm On Nov 05, 2012
Ok o, i'm gr8ful. Proud 2 b a chemist!
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by FUTYGUY(m): 9:45pm On Aug 12, 2015
Your sister is just being naive. I am an undergraduate student at FUT Yola studying Industrial Chemistry, out of about 35 students only I and one of my colleagues choose Ind.Chem as a choice course to study. At the moment we are about resuming for our third year and I can tell u that 98 percent of them are happy that the university changed their choice course, these were people that applied for Chemical Engineering. So in essence what I am trying to say is why Pharmacy; after your first degree that is Ind.Chem u can go for Pharmaceutical Chemistry for your second degree rather than wasting a whole year and what makes u fill u will be offered Pharmacy come next. How I which I know u in person. Hope this helps u in making a better choice. MY CANDID ADVICE DON'T REJECT THE ADMISSION BETTER STILL GOGGLE INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by 0gaDavo(m): 11:45pm On Sep 12, 2015
Am sorry to say your sister is wrong about scientist being difficult to succeed.

Pharmacy, industrial n applied chemistry/physics, microbiolgy, food science engineering, biochemistry. These are very lucrative courses to study.
Fact is, if you do any of those courses in school and you come out with good grades, your I.q is great and you have vast knowledge in your research fields. You are going to be a hot cake in these industry.

Even while at school there's always an association or body that creates a forum for serving as link between these stydents and their prospective employers.
Take for instance my own course has a body that provides a platform for us to relate with top directors in d general meeting. At least attending d general meeting is a direct way of meeting with these top scientist from various food companies such as peak, nestle, nigeria brewries, etc.

Now back to d topic.
As an industrial chemist you can work in pharmaceutical industries and we have quite a number of them in nigeria (pfizer, edmark, neimeth, fidson, etc)
You can even work in... I'd be back to finish up. Low batt
ya a baga

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Shinkx: 2:19pm On Sep 28, 2015
please.. which branch of chemistry is more lucrative.. for msc in nigeria.. i am truly in love with msc organic chemistry.. ur advice is urge ntly needed.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by alphabbey1(m): 1:39pm On Jan 05, 2016
where is this guy now. Am also a newly admitted ICH into University Of Ibadan. Drop ur line, lets talk

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Simcha: 1:37pm On Feb 19, 2016
alphabbey1:
where is this guy now. Am also a newly admitted ICH into University Of Ibadan. Drop ur line, lets talk
bro how much is the school fees and the acceptance fee? Thanks
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by alphabbey1(m): 4:07pm On Feb 23, 2016
Simcha:
bro how much is the school fees and the acceptance fee? Thanks
acceptance fee #20,000........ Skul fees #23,800..... Compulsory Hostel fee #14,000
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by PrinceVecllin(m): 9:16pm On Mar 27, 2016
rep chemistry dept unilorin

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Emperor119(m): 9:41pm On Dec 10, 2016
Chemistry all dy way 200lv FUTO

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by MrFem: 2:35am On Mar 26, 2017
pls can a biochemist work in petroleum industry
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by MrFem: 2:36am On Mar 26, 2017
MrFem:
pls can a biochemist work in petroleum industry
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by dasamek8: 8:42pm On Jul 08, 2017
[quote author=MrFem post=54951706][/quote]
yeah environmental aspect, bioremediation, phytoremediation, env. Toxicology maybe other non related jb

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Thermodynamics(m): 12:19am On Jul 09, 2017
My guy, go for what you want, don't settle for less, it takes a lot of courage but you can do it. Study what ever you want, follow your passion an you will get there. I will use myself as an example, I got admitted into Maths and Statistics (my first admission) but ignored it, I took jamb again and got admitted into computer science and also ignored it because I wanted to study Mechanical engineering, I later took jamb for the third time and got my dream course. Now I feel fulfilled and I am about to graduate as an Engineer. You can do it, people will insult you and say you are stupid for rejecting an admission in Nigeria, but don't listen to them. I remember my friend's elder brother calling me a FOOL for ever rejecting an admission in Nigeria but today, I am proud of myself. Follow your passion, get what you want at all cost. Am, not saying industrial chemistry is a bad course but my advice to you is that:
DO NOT ACCEPT WHAT WAS GIVING TO YOU, YOU HAVE TO TAKE WHAT YOU WANT, DON'T BE A VICTIM OF NIGERIA, OR DO YOU WANT TO BE ONE OF THOSE GUYS WHO ALWAYS COMPLAIN OF HOW THEY WERE GIVEN A COURSE THEY DID NOT APPLY FOR? GO FOR WHAT YOU WANT.

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by EngrBello(m): 7:55pm On Jul 27, 2017
being a Nigeria victim or not doesn't determine future . you for instance; may end up doing a computer science job or statistician job in a good company...it all depends what on opportunity...Just make use of it on time...industrial chemist/chemical engineering slots are much more available than pharmaceutical slots (during job recruitment) all because pple study one course more than other!

am a graduate of mechanical engineering(upper credit) but im already falling in love with industrial chemistry..and am doing direct entry

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Princetunas(m): 10:29am On Jul 23, 2018
I`m now a graduate of Industrial chemistry, thanks
@candygosh and others for all the advice. smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by paul100(m): 11:26am On Jul 23, 2018
Is industrial chemistry similar to chemical engineering
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 23, 2018
Princetunas:
I`m now a graduate of Industrial chemistry, thanks
@candygosh and others for all the advice. smiley

Congratulations my co chemist.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by alphabbey1(m): 1:34pm On Apr 14, 2019
Am now in my finals. Will soon be a graduate....
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by Nobody: 3:38pm On Mar 16, 2020
Idacrux:
Pure and industrial chemistry is a lucrative course anywhere in d world because everithing on earth is based on chemistry.....

A friend just used almost these same words last week!

If your assertion is true - and I think it is - why should ANY graduate of industrial chemistry ever lack work to do?
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by royrit: 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2020
enroll for our event planning training get certified
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by everyevery: 7:18pm On Mar 16, 2020
The chemist gurus, I hail o
Please what can I add to my spray starch that would remove after-white stains on the clothes and again would make the smell inviting?
Re: What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. by debradixon: 6:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
Whilst surfing the web in some cases I have found a site that is definitely very thought invoking like this one. I want to express that I found the content within your site has been pretty enjoyable and I also learnt new things. I'll be sure to watch out for the following article.. Thanks for the fantastic write-up I will return in the future. german toll free numbers

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bad Things That Happen At Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) Kaduna By Commandant / FUTO Student Test Runs The Airplane He Built As His Final Year Project / 7 Most Difficult Courses To Study In Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.