Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,070 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die (8625 Views)

Oshiomhole Builds 30-feet Underground Drainage System In Benin (photos) / The Planned Relocation Of Boko Haram Convicts To Anambra Prisons- Obiano Speaks / Soldiers On Death Row Starved In Underground Cell —falana (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by fatdon2(m): 12:50pm On Nov 05, 2012
Lagos — Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State has said that two death row convicts in the state deserve to die, saying he owes no apology over his stance which he said was in exercise of his duty as governor.

In a robust defence of his position, Oshiomhole, in an interview, said that even though he had the choice of exercising the prerogative of mercy on the convicts, he had chosen not to do so, given the nature of the offence of the two men whose convictions were upheld by the Supreme Court.

He said: "God can have mercy on them, but I am unable having regard to the overall circumstances of the case, namely, killing and dismembering the body of your victim and wanting to sell some of the parts and you ask me in the name of human rights, let him live."

The two death row convicts, Daniel Nsofor and Osayinwinde Agbomien, are presently at the centre of an international human rights campaign to be freed from execution following the governor's assent to their execution following the affirmation of their guilt by the Supreme Court.

Nsofor was convicted on June 19, 1996 for torturing his female victim and killing her while Agbomien was found guilty of robbing, killing and dismembering the body parts of his own victim

Oshiomhole noted: "I am convinced that those people need to die. In the interest of society they need to die under the law. The rule of law is different from resolutions by some NGOs and nations are not governed by NGO resolutions.

"As a governor, I subscribed to an oath of office which says that I shall obey the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, including all laws without fear or favour. I cannot be afraid to sign the death warrant of a man who has been found guilty of murder.

"I have no apologies, I didn't sentence them to death. I am not the one who accused them, they were accused by those they harassed. They have been tried, they have taken advantage of the appellate courts all the way to the Supreme Court of the land and they were found guilty. The law also says that having been found guilty and sentenced to death, the governor could exercise prerogative of mercy, but I say that I have no mercy on those who kill. Why should you compel me to have mercy on those who kill?"

[b]
"We must have a balanced view of human rights in which the rights, not only of the man they killed, but the right of his relations and much more importantly, to send a clear message to would be murderers, that when you kill a human being and you are caught, you are likely to die. If you don't want to die, then abstain from killing. If criminals abstain from killing, fewer people would be killed by robbers and other murderers and that is the truth.

"If you tell me that the man killed and has a right to life, I refuse that. Amnesty should not be hypocritical about it, we have the records worldwide. Nations are governed by their national values and it is debatable whether those who excuse murderers in the eyes of God whether they are better human beings than those who insist that 'if you kill that you too should be killed if found guilty of killing'.

"The second person was a man who killed a woman. He robbed the woman, raped the woman and killed her. And then he was found guilty of this offence by the Supreme Court of Nigeria and you tell me, though he has killed, let him live. I say no. If he has killed, let him die too. I am not the one who says he should die, it is the law.
[/b]
All I have done is that the law says I should sign and I have obeyed the law by signing because even the government is under the law."

Governor Oshiomhole, however, said that he had in the recent past also exercised the prerogative of mercy on some other convicts who did not kill in the course of their activities.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201211050266.html/?maneref=http%253A%252F%252Fnews.google.com%252Fnews%252Fi%252Fsection%253Fpz%253D1%2526cf%253Dall%2526ned%253Den_ng%2526topic%253Dn

3 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by manny4life(m): 9:45am On Nov 06, 2012
I endorse this... If you're on death row, YOU MUST DIE...

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Eneze1(f): 9:46am On Nov 06, 2012
He who live by the sword should die by the sword, shikena

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Okijajuju1(m): 9:47am On Nov 06, 2012
.Okija Juju is proud to be associated with Gov. Oshiomole. All convicted felons on death row whose cases have failed appeal must be executed.. If you are innocent, sorry.. You should have gotten Johnny Cochrane to be your Lawyer..
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Kassidy90(m): 9:48am On Nov 06, 2012
If u kill. Den u shall be killed......shikena

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by mcevans1(m): 9:49am On Nov 06, 2012
RIP M8S
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by kellystech(m): 9:50am On Nov 06, 2012
Y are u on death row if u dnt wanna die?
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by etenyong(m): 9:52am On Nov 06, 2012
They first killed & its their own turn now to die. I support d governor's decision. Amnesty International should allow d law to b carried out so dat others wil learn frm it dat there is capital punishment if taking innocent life.
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Birichie(m): 9:52am On Nov 06, 2012
If u live by sword,then u 'll definitely die by sword.Those guyz committed high degree of murder,if they are freed..Hw do u want the family of d victim to feel?
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by BashMe1(m): 9:53am On Nov 06, 2012
TRUE
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by CrazyMan(m): 9:55am On Nov 06, 2012
Considering the degree of crimes they committed, I feel death is a fair judgment.

Adams is right, you can't grant such people leniency. If we're to make this nation a better place, then we must uphold the law.

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 06, 2012
kellystech: Y are u on death row if u dnt wanna die?

I don't think anyone gets himself or herself on death row for the purpose of dying. Certainly not the majority anyway. It's simply the consequence for their actions.

I don't always agree with the death penalty, but such prisoners shouldn't be released either. I'd prefer someone to stay imprisoned for say 25 years. Death is the easy way out. A life sentence is an easy way out as well as prisoners easily come to terms with dying in prison. Giving them a glimmer of hope is the worst in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by pappy2000: 9:56am On Nov 06, 2012
This amnesty int them they craze so how do want the relatives of the people they kill to see the man that kill their people to be walking free,he must die
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by 5much(m): 9:56am On Nov 06, 2012
He who live by the sword should die by the sword,period.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 06, 2012
Okija_juju: .

After you!
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Goldieluks: 10:05am On Nov 06, 2012
5much: He who live by the sword should die by the sword,period.

The harsh truth.
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by vascey(m): 10:06am On Nov 06, 2012
Hard to argue against this. He does have a valid point.
Happy to know he has not allowed himself to be bullied by NGOs.
Yet...
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by datola: 10:08am On Nov 06, 2012
This Adams Oshiomole is talking tough like a US president. We need him as Nigeria's president, though it is a difficult decision. God have mercy.
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by manny4life(m): 10:11am On Nov 06, 2012
ogugua88:

I don't think anyone gets himself or herself on death row for the purpose of dying. Certainly not the majority anyway. It's simply the consequence for their actions.

I don't always agree with the death penalty, but such prisoners shouldn't be released either. I'd prefer someone to stay imprisoned for say 25 years. Death is the easy way out. A life sentence is an easy way out as well as prisoners easily come to terms with dying in prison. Giving them a glimmer of hope is the worst in my opinion.

At the bold, on who's expense? Taxpayers? Do you know how much govt will spend to just to feed the fuckerz daily? angry angry angry Abeg, the sooner they are wasted and join their ancestors, the better it is for the people, no Naira wasted.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 06, 2012
manny4life: At the bold, on who's expense? Taxpayers? Do you know how much govt will spend to just to feed the fuckerz daily? angry angry angry Abeg, the sooner they are wasted and join their ancestors, the better it is for the people, no Naira wasted.

Depending on where, keeping inmates on death row is just as costly as, if not more than, a life or long-term sentence as their dates are years away. Oshiomole said one of the suspects was convicted in 1996. 2012 wraps up in a few weeks. That's over 16 years of him doing what? Lol.

I don't see the death penalty as a deterrent. The family may claim justice is done and that they are at peace, but terminating one person doesn't tame another lunatic.
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by legendsilver(m): 10:23am On Nov 06, 2012
i support the Governor jawe tongue
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Ninilowo(m): 10:25am On Nov 06, 2012
ogugua88:

........buh LIFE IMPRISONMENT gives a glimmer of hope now. What of if someone comes in and grant them (criminals) freedom?

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 06, 2012
Killers deserve death. There are no 2 ways about it.

1 Like

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Redmosquito(m): 10:27am On Nov 06, 2012
Minion: My lord, our biggest supplier is gradually re-endorsing the actual death penalty
Hades: Wtf! Tell them not to ooo! We never sort boko-haram victims finish yet them wan add more
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:27am On Nov 06, 2012
I will NEVER support capital punishment. But to each his own.
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Ninilowo(m): 10:28am On Nov 06, 2012
DIE KILLERS; DIE!!!!!!!
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by garrigangster: 10:29am On Nov 06, 2012
I wonder if many of those lauding Oshiomole would have done the same had it been GEJ who has done exactly the same...
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Redmosquito(m): 10:31am On Nov 06, 2012
Minion: My lord, our biggest supplier is gradually re-endorsing the actual death penalty
Hades: Wtf! Tell them not to ooo! We never sort boko-haram victims finish yet them wan add more
Minion: Ur Evilship, one dismembered in an attempt to sell while the other molested and killed
Hades: Hmm! That must be a country of special breeds. Book two first class tickets pls

2 Likes

Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by PointB: 10:31am On Nov 06, 2012
Oshiomole is my kind of guy.

If the law say he must die, and his guilt proven beyond every reasonable doubt, then the law must take it's full course. I am with Oshiomole on this.
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by adahib: 10:32am On Nov 06, 2012
loving this... exactly what I would do.I hope they die by the electric chair
Re: Oshiomhole - Death-Row Convicts Must Die by Nobody: 10:34am On Nov 06, 2012
Drinkin ma garri....(watchin) angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola Urges Lagosians To Endure Okada Ban / Fulani Herdsmen Caught On Camera Sharing AK 47 And Ammunition In The Bush(video) / Taraba Assembly Speaker Voluntarily Resigns, Kizito Bonzena Elected New Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.