Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,258 members, 7,807,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! (24166 Views)

Check Sign On Camry Dashboard / 2008 Camry Dashboard / Help: 07/08 Camry Starts And Idles But Won't Rev (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 06, 2012
This Sounds very strange but my dashboard is actually melting.

Its an 07/08 Camry SE,I observed this some months back but I didn't attach much importance to it. Well its now really bad. Its so bad that on a hot day you could actually leave finger prints on it. I can't even imagine cleaning it with a rag cos it will just get it messy. Putting paper on it would instantly glue it down.

I really don't know how to remedy my problem. I'll probably have to change the whole thing.

just wondering if anyone has experienced such before.

I looked up and found this links too

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/391341-2007-toyota-camry-dashboard-melting-under-florida-heat.html

http://m.camryforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39361&page=3

I'll take pictures of the Dash tomorrow.
Share your thoughts. Thanks
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 9:17am On Nov 07, 2012
Here are pictures of the Dash.

Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 07, 2012
Wow. You're going to need a complete replacement fascia. I've never heard of a melting dash, even in countries hotter than Nigeria. Cracks due to very hot conditions are common. But melting?

I wonder what your fascia's made of. It's possible it's had a coating applied to it at some point, probably not factory either.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 07, 2012
Looking at the posts on Toyotanation, it would appear yours isn't an isolated issue.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 07, 2012
Siena...Funny thing is that the part close to the glove compartment and the vents are ok. I was actually suprised to see people experiencing the same issue on the links provided above.

I'll take one or two pictures of the vent area so you have a clearer image of the problem...the parts most affected are the areas directly visible to the sun(Above odometer to passanger area)

Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by megxo(m): 11:38am On Nov 07, 2012
toyota ba>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.change kowai
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Igwe9(m): 11:40am On Nov 07, 2012
Hmm, kinda strange to me
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by emmabest2000(m): 11:46am On Nov 07, 2012
stop packing ur car in the sun
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by alkadriyar(m): 11:49am On Nov 07, 2012
I think ur campry is the 4th or 5th am seeing with this problem. I've also seen a nissan murano and infinity with same problem. I'll advise you check the dash-board spray or polish used on it. Or avoid using any chemical substance on it even at the car wash.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by calculusx(m): 11:51am On Nov 07, 2012
@ OP, I noticed the same ttthing on 2 Registered Camry I sold of recent. One of them was formerly mine and didn't experience such when I was using the Car. I latter dicovered tthe likely cause. @ one point or the other when you took your car to carwash,a liquid or spray was applied on the dash to make the it shine,these have a -ve effect on 07-09 Toyota Camry dashboard once its exposed tto sunlight.
I didn't experience such when I was using the Camry because I wash the Car myself on many occassion and never applied any liquid or spray on the dashboard to make it shine. My own likely cause of the problem though.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 07, 2012
I hope you'r not using seat covers because they can further increase the temperature inside your car esp. when left under the sun for long
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by mascot87(m): 12:02pm On Nov 07, 2012
Change am oo,no story
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by optimusprime2(m): 12:06pm On Nov 07, 2012
babs2aroks: This Sounds very strange but my dashboard is actually melting.

Its an 07/08 Camry SE,I observed this some months back but I didn't attach much importance to it. Well its now really bad. Its so bad that on a hot day you could actually leave finger prints on it. I can't even imagine cleaning it with a rag cos it will just get it messy. Putting paper on it would instantly glue it down.

I really don't know how to remedy my problem. I'll probably have to change the whole thing.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-5th-6th-generation-2002-2006-2007-2011/391341-2007-toyota-camry-dashboard-melting-under-florida-heat.html

Sorry about your predicament, you might wanna tint your screens, that will help to some extent.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Johnnoo(m): 12:08pm On Nov 07, 2012
If you bought ur ride new, its an anomaly to have such a problem. But if u got it fairy-used, then u should be suspecting AGEING. Consider changing the assembly.

Imanuelle: I dey Suspect say na winch pipol dey do am..
Someone from the village is responsible..
Can u remember ever losing a bolt from ur car?
Must u always link threads like this to phantoms & figments of imagination
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by optimusprime2(m): 12:09pm On Nov 07, 2012
babs2aroks: This Sounds very strange but my dashboard is actually melting.

Sorry about your predicament, crap happens you know.
You might wanna tint/Darken your screens, that will help to some extent and I hope your car's colour is not Black or Dark? If it is, a respray to Metallic white will also help.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by ifysoft: 12:11pm On Nov 07, 2012
Sorry.. This is a clear reaction of shinning chemicals used by those sharp car wash boys in order to make you feel your vehicle was washed perfectly.. Happened to my old car too some years back.........
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 12:37pm On Nov 07, 2012
Thanks so much Guys.

My windows are actually tinted.

If I recall I had it washed something ago and the Car wash dude maybe in a bid to impress me excessively detailed the interior with this funny oil/shine. I guess the chemical must have been to harsh. Relating to all the possible conditions a few people have given above.

1 Like

Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by andyanders: 12:47pm On Nov 07, 2012
Strange, strange strange. I have never heard or seen. Have you checked if any electrical wire is exposed under the dashboard maybe when a Nigerian Electrician worked on the car.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 3:04pm On Nov 07, 2012
babs2aroks: Thanks so much Guys.

My windows are actually tinted.

If I recall I had it washed something ago and the Car wash dude maybe in a bid to impress me excessively detailed the interior with this funny oil/shine. I guess the chemical must have been to harsh. Relating to all the possible conditions a few people have given above.

IMO, I think that's the origin of this problem.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by donblacky(m): 4:39pm On Nov 07, 2012
Wow @op
A♏ experiencing same tin on my toyota corolla,d dashboard is a big mess nw.when ever d weather ɪƨ hot nd d car ɪƨ parked,it starts melting nd when U touch It,It cms off.started noticing It ever since a guy used a certain dashboard spray on It,was advised to use a dashboard cover that will b glued to d dashboard(dnt knw hw they intend doing It)ßυt tinking of giving It ǻ try cos d dashboard is disgracing itself nt Mƹ(na so i Go Dεγ find tree to park under, any where i Go)
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by LordReed(m): 5:25pm On Nov 07, 2012
Get a sun shield.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by BALLERON(m): 6:42pm On Nov 07, 2012
very True, its also a factory problem noticable in 2004-2008 infinti fx35.Replacing the dashboard is the solution , sight of a melting and sticky dashboard could be disgusting. Fx35 dashboard is about $1k, that of 07-09 toyota camry is about $300. Check ladipo for local purchase.
calculusx: @ OP, I noticed the same ttthing on 2 Registered Camry I sold of recent. One of them was formerly mine and didn't experience such when I was using the Car. I latter dicovered tthe likely cause. @ one point or the other when you took your car to carwash,a liquid or spray was applied on the dash to make the it shine,these have a -ve effect on 07-09 Toyota Camry dashboard once its exposed tto sunlight.
I didn't experience such when I was using the Camry because I wash the Car myself on many occassion and never applied any liquid or spray on the dashboard to make it shine. My own likely cause of the problem though.

1 Like

Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Nobody: 7:53pm On Nov 07, 2012
Very informative posts. I guess people would now take caution on the kinds of Polish/chemicals they use for Detailing.

I'll make market surveys on the cost for getting a replacement dash or odering one from the US.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Benzora(m): 9:39pm On Nov 07, 2012
The melting of the dashboard has nothing to do with the polish used by your carwash. The problem with some of these dashboards is the factory poor quality which cannot withstand high temperatures. Give me a call on 07036017448 and I ll refer you to someone who ll help fix this problem. You don't need to replace your dashboard. It can be perfectly fixed.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by Benzora(m): 9:43pm On Nov 07, 2012
Sorry folks the number is 07036017448. I apologize for that error.
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by nagoma(m): 10:09pm On Nov 07, 2012
emma_best2000: stop packing ur car in the sun

What do you mean "packing"?
Re: My 07/08 Camry Dashboard Is Melting: Sticky! by scholes23(m): 10:15pm On Nov 07, 2012
there's no 2 ways abt it, just get another one. Not just another one but something og high quality and when u get it, dont park ur vehicle under the sun. If u do so or ur car was parked and all of a sudden the sun just pops out, u can as well put a carton on d windscreen of ur car(using ur wiper to support it ) so that sun wont penetrate. And lastly, when u take ur car to the car wash, monitor them so they wont rough handle ur dash while cleaning.
I strongly bliv all these would do a lot of help.
PEACE OUT
Scholes23

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015 Cadillac Escalade Unveiled / First Fully Covered Bike With AC Made In India / 10 Facts About Volkswagen Beetle You Probably Never Knew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.