Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,291 members, 7,807,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 AM

Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. (10876 Views)

Vehicle Sinks After Bridge Collapses In Dubban Fulani, Gombe State / LMAO: Boy Collapses In Plane After Wearing 12 Layers Of Clothing To Avoid Fee / Two-storey Building Collapses In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by COOLDUN: 4:00pm On Nov 07, 2012
Yea the moderator has acted in an enlightened manner; you have to continue in this form in order to detribalize your forum. Every action must attract a reaction. I wonder why you allowed the tribal insults to be long before deleting them, when they have attracted reactions and caused damages then you remove them. I wish my Ghana brothers and sisters great fortitudes to bear loss of lives and more energies and courage to rescue the trapped ones in the rubbles.
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by dantechnig: 4:26pm On Nov 07, 2012
Please I would like to know the history of the building, its duration after construction, actually the cos of collapse is incompetent workmen and compromise of building materials, cutting corners and Non involvement of Builders(Registered and trained)
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by mekaboy(m): 4:30pm On Nov 07, 2012
NORMALY, SHOPS AND OFFICE SPACES ARE RENTED FOR 10YRS . MELCOM RENTED THE PLACE FOR 10YRS AND HAVE NOT.BEEN THERE.FOR UP TO 1 YEAR BEFORE IT COLLAPSED.
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 07, 2012
mekaboy: NORMALY, SHOPS AND OFFICE SPACES ARE RENTED FOR 10YRS . MELCOM RENTED THE PLACE FOR 10YRS AND HAVE NOT.BEEN THERE.FOR UP TO 1 YEAR BEFORE IT COLLAPSED.

I feel personally that the goods melcom put in that building was too much for it ; the place was chocked up
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Dopefiend(m): 4:44pm On Nov 07, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Not so fast......there's two posts b/4 yours; i guess you were not as quick off the blocks like the two guys b/4 you. wink

The trick is to reserve your spot first by quickly making some irrelevant inane post (just using a 'full stop' is ok for some) after which you can then take your time and modify it as necessary. smiley

Wow dis is 'first to post for dummies 101' grin grin grin
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by RickyRoss1(m): 4:48pm On Nov 07, 2012
This Melcom shop is at NEOPLAN STATION, Achimota, just Opposite our Zenith bank building. This particular building is less than 1 year old, how or why did it collapse. I saw it on TV now and the rescue workers seems hopeless and helpless. They have no machines or anything. It took several hours for excavator to arrive.

The youths are doing most of the work, while the police and soldiers are standing behind with their arms cracking jokes, honestly they have no pity for the victims.

By the way, what are they doing with all those guns? Did they come for war or rescue operation? If rescue operation why are they not rescuing people?

Finally, those Indians that own Melcom shop should be prosecuted. They are notorious for selling substandard goods. Anything you buy from melcom will spoil within few weeks or months. Over 90% of their items are substandard products from India & China. I suspect they used poor quality materials to build this shop.
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 07, 2012
Fire Truck @ Melcom

Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by amiskurie(m): 4:50pm On Nov 07, 2012
Someone frm Ghana told me it was an explosion.
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by otumfour(m): 4:51pm On Nov 07, 2012

22 rescued, 3 dead as search for survivors intensifies in Melcom disaster

A combined team of security personnel are still at the scene of the collapsed Melcom building, Achimota in a desperate attempt to rescue some trapped workers under the rubbles.

The six-storey ultra-modern facility collapsed minutes before it was to commenced daily operations.

The incident has drawn thousands of curious onlookers who are desperate to catch a glimpse of the once glamorous edifice which was commissioned barely a year ago.

JOYNEWS' Eric Curtis-Howard reported that 22 persons have been pulled out alive, with three confirmed dead.

According to a survivor, the trapped workers were having their morning devotion when the incident occured.

The survivor who sustained minor injuries visibly appeared traumatised and told Myjoyonline.com he noticed a crack in one of the main pillars of the structure three days ago and reported the incident to his superiors who took little action.

According to him, he detected another crack in another pillar Wednesday morning and reported the action, minutes later the structure collapsed not after he has being sent out to hang a promo banner.

A strong rescue team, made up of Ghana Fire Service, Armed Forces,Police Service, Ambulance Service and National Sanitation Task Force are making frantic efforts to rescue the trapped workers.

Some workers who were rescued from the rubbles were rushed to the hospital in attempts to resucitate them. Although the number of workers trapped are not immediately known, some believe the number is around 50.

A high powered government delegation has been to the scene to get first hand information on the tragedy. First, Mayor of Accra, Alfred Oko Vanderpuye was at the venue. He was followed by Vice President Amissah-Arthur who expressed concerns at the attitude of onlookers who he said were were hampering rescue operations.

The Interior Minister, W. K. Aboah, Trade Minister, Hanna Tetteh, Ade Coker among others.

A delegation from the opposition New Patriotic Party led by Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, was also at the scene to assess the situation first hand.

Several onlookers have expressed disgust at the apparent shoddy work executed by the contractor of the building.

http://edition.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201211/96858.php
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by agitator: 4:59pm On Nov 07, 2012
searay: I think GEJ should be blame for this. Really a sad news.

Where is the drunken fisherman when this thing happened? I support Ghana to sue him. angry angry angry
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by amivel(f): 5:52pm On Nov 07, 2012
Callotti: The bags of cement must have been imported from Nigeria! grin
y are U̶̲̥̅̊ calling naija name in dis one now there's no where in D̶̲̥̅̊ woorld bad things don't happen so respect that name
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Nobody: 6:33pm On Nov 07, 2012
hmmm the op's article said 200 ppl but bbc and news said 50 PPL. HMMM WHY IS THERE ALWAYS MANY VERSIONS TO ONE STORY. SMH LOL
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by emmyasam95(m): 6:54pm On Nov 07, 2012
am in ghana ryt nw,its 55ppl dt wer trapd nt 200 n only 1 lyf lost. so mk una no dey exaggerate nairalanders
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by emmyasam95(m): 6:54pm On Nov 07, 2012
am in ghana ryt nw,its 55ppl dt wer trapd nt 200 n only abt 3 lyvs lost. so mk una no dey exaggerate nairalanders. its a sad event
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by torgbe(m): 7:18pm On Nov 07, 2012
Sorry to da lost souls, i was at Zenith bank opp. Melcom wen the incident occured. Seriously i taught it was the amagedon or end of da world. The staff of the bank,customers and workers near by the building all run-out for our lives. Its high time we give our lives to Christ cus the end can b anytime. GOD BLESS MY HOMELAND GHANA

1 Like

Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by babe4chi(f): 7:18pm On Nov 07, 2012
This is rily terrible... I tink its more dan one person dat is dead... cry RIP to the dead...

Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by torgbe(m): 7:23pm On Nov 07, 2012
This building is barely a year old so y shld this happen. Someone might not hv been doing his work properly. SOME HEADS MUST ROLL. someone got to answer some question. GOD BLESS MY HOMELAND GHANA
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Nwandol: 8:26pm On Nov 07, 2012
Its really a pity that lives have to b lost in dis painful way. These Indians n there stingy nature,only God know the kind of managing they did to come up with that mall
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by emekauzor(m): 9:15pm On Nov 07, 2012
sigba:
GEJ? Blame? Ghana? Let me assume you joking.

Seriously, I think some folks here are on cheap Narcotics

smh !

1 Like

Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:33pm On Nov 07, 2012
I hope no one lost their life and it is not owned by a Nigerian. lollz!

Africans will never learn.
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Josephchuks: 10:28pm On Nov 07, 2012
If the Melcom I knew is this one turned into rubles then there are thousands underground!
Rescue operators do your job and save lives!. By the way last time I visited Melcom I met this pretty lady attendants lurking for
fair skinned Nigerian guys like me!. Don't tell me those girls are trapped underground?' AMA eeeeeh!
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Abrantie: 10:58pm On Nov 07, 2012
sadeiyare:

I feel personally that the goods melcom put in that building was too much for it ; the place was chocked up

The first 3 floors was the store. The top floors was the warehouse. It's evident the weight-bearing columns couldn't hold the weight of the Christmas merchandise.
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by itzlazzy(m): 11:38pm On Nov 07, 2012
Almost went der 4 shoppin 2day
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by itzlazzy(m): 11:41pm On Nov 07, 2012
emmyasam95: am in ghana ryt nw,its 55ppl dt wer trapd nt 200 n only 1 lyf lost. so mk una no dey exaggerate nairalanders
i'm at d scene presently 30 dead,75 trapped n 25 injured.
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by Ranoscky(m): 7:37am On Nov 08, 2012
searay: I think GEJ should be blame for this. Really a sad news.
Lol... joke of the month
Re: Four Storey Mall Collapses In Accra, Ghana. by zoogy2007: 1:04pm On Nov 08, 2012
calloti you be mumu

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Internet Forums In Nigeria / GABRYWYL - QUEEN BEE / Would You Hit? Svetlana Pankratova,Woman With The Longest Legs In The World(Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.