Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? (7019 Views)

1 Corinthians 1:17-31 The Worst Passage In The Bible / Shiloh 2013 Prayer Guidelines: Exceeding Grace: 2 Corinthians 9:14-15 / Love, Love, Love (1 Corinthians 13) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by pastormustwacc: 7:51am On Nov 08, 2012
“In one of your web site articles, Can Christians Speak in Tongues Today?, you stated that when Christians of the early church spoke in ‘tongues,’ they only spoke in foreign languages that were native to certain nationalities. You suggested that the ‘tongue speaking’ of the Pentecostal movement, in which certain ‘sounds’ of no known language are spoken, is not in harmony with the Bible. I attend a Pentecostal church, and though I’ve never spoken in tongues, I am told that Paul’s statement about the ‘tongues of angels’ (1 Cor. 13:1) implies a heavenly language, distinct from the languages of men. Would you comment on this?”
With all due respect, Paul’s reference to the “tongues … of angels” (1 Cor. 13:1) affords no evidence for the so-called “Pentecostal experience,” in which the uttering a series of rapidly-spoken, indiscernible syllables is alleged to reflect a “heavenly” tongue of an inexplicable variety. The following lines of evidence discredit the Pentecostal theory.
Tongues: Intelligible Language
In an effort to exhort the Corinthian Christians toward a greater level of concern for one another in their use of “spiritual gifts,” Paul wrote this admonition. “If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become a sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal” (1 Cor. 13:1).
If it can be established that the term “tongues,” when employed with reference to men, has to do with intelligent communication (and such can be demonstrated: see the article referenced above), then it must be conceded that the word “tongues,” when used of angels, similarly signifies an understandable language.
In order for the “Pentecostal” view to be valid, there would have to be some compelling contextual evidence to indicate that the term “tongues” is used in two different senses in this passage, and there simply is none.
Unintelligible Tongues Are Unloving
In chapter 14 of the first Corinthian letter, one of Paul’s major points of emphasis is this. If one employs his gift of tongues before an audience that cannot understand the language spoken, and no interpreter is present to translate the message, such would be a violation of God’s will. In fact, it would be an act of vanity, and not a demonstration of love for the listener.
This is the precise point of 13:1 as well. To speak in a tongue, when no one can understand the words, is an act void of love. Such would be nothing more than a sound (an irritating noise); it would not be an instructive message.
The implication behind the argument is this. If the gift were exercised properly, i.e., in conjunction with an interpreter, the audience could understand the instruction, and such would evince the speaker’s love.
But the identical point is made whether the allusion is to “the tongues of men” or to the “tongues of angels.” Even the tongues of angels, if it were possible to exercise such in an appropriate way, could be understood. There is nothing here suggesting a “gibberish” sort of utterance; just the opposite is the case.
Angels Always Spoke Understandably
There are numerous Bible examples of angels speaking to men. In not a single instance do they communicate in anything except in languages that are perfectly understandable — a communication that the recipient can process readily. There is not one shred of biblical evidence to suggest that angels speak in disjointed, incomprehensible sounds. As one scholar astutely observed:
With respect to the words of angels which are recorded in the Scriptures, nothing can be plainer, more direct, and, we may say, more unimpassioned. They seem to say with the utmost conceivable plainness what they have been commissioned to say, and nothing more. No words are less the words of ecstasy than theirs (Sadler, 217).
Angel’s Tongues: Hyperbole
Paul’s appeal to “angels” in 13:1 is a form of hyperbole (an exaggeration for emphasis’ sake) that is designed to accentuate his argument.
Consider a similar use of this figurative expression in the apostle’s letter to the Galatians. He wrote:
“But though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach unto you any gospel other than that which we preached unto you, let him be anathema” (Gal. 1:8; emphasis added).
The apostle is not suggesting that an angel actually is likely to proclaim a different gospel; the point is one of emphasis. Even if an angel were to preach a different gospel, there would be no validity in it, and he would fall victim to divine wrath.
So similarly, in 1 Corinthians 13:1, Paul is not indicating that some Christians speak an “angelic” (ecstatic) language. Rather, he is merely saying that even if one could ascend to a new height, and communicate on the level of angels, if he did not exercise love by speaking in an understandable fashion, he still would be nothing but a distracting noise. The apostle’s argument does not hint of a mysterious, unintelligible utterance; in fact, it reflects just the opposite.
When all the data is considered, there is no basis in 1 Corinthians 13:1 for the notion that there is a heavenly, ecstatic “glossolalia” that some saints are able to access, whereby they speak to God alone.

Source: https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/671-what-are-the-tongues-of-angels-in-1-corinthians-13-1

3 Likes

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by BEOsas: 4:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
Your post: Scripturally sound!

There is no basis for the gibberish we see today in our churches, it doesnt matter how you want to twist the issue of Tongues, it all points to INTELLIGIBLE (HUMAN) LANGUAGE!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by pastormustwacc: 5:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
Thank you very much. But i wonder why the tongue-twisting christians are not here to defend their claim.
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by LordReed(m): 9:07am On Nov 18, 2012
Well, considering how I came about to be able to speak in tongues I consider it a very genuine experience. I did not seek it and in fact I was very relutant on that day to even pray but I still got it.

The article did not say anything on this scripture:

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

5 Likes

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 18, 2012
Tongues whether of men or angels should not even be a subject of debate among saints who understands the will and the purposes of God..God is no respecter of persons but a respecter of principles..d article cannot make believers who speak in tongues to desist from such..The only thing that will make u believe is an encounter with the Giver..I had that encounter and I tell u my life Has never been d same..To me no prophecy of d scripture is of any private interpretation. I take the of God literally as it comes and It has worked for me. I believe there are tongues of angels..people should not twist the word of God to suit their own philosopies and ideologies just becos it doesnt appeal to thier senses or feelings..We come to God by Faith not with our carnal sensuos knowledge or wisdom..The foolishness of God is wiser than men..As for me i will speak and pray in tongues till His kingdom come and His will be done.

12 Likes

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by ITbomb(m): 10:47am On Nov 18, 2012
pastormustwacc: Thank you very much. But i wonder why the tongue-twisting christians are not here to defend their claim.
Sometimes we are forced to speak in tongues.
Have u ever been to a church and Pastor say just open ur mouth and flow and u open ur mouth but nothing comes out, the pastor with authority keep on intimidating u and u don't want to be the one that is making the pastor ineffective and u start speaking nonsense then he pushes u and u just have to fall so that he can move over to the next person.

1 Like

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Leadn(m): 10:57am On Nov 18, 2012
ITbomb:
Have u ever been to a church and Pastor say just open ur mouth and flow and u open ur mouth but nothing comes out, the pastor with authority keep on intimidating u and u don't want to be the one that is making the pastor ineffective and u start speaking nonsense then he pushes u and u just have to fall so that he can move over to the next person.

cheesy grin grin
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Nobody: 11:09am On Nov 18, 2012
1.Cor.1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. 2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

ONLY SOME BELIEVERS CAN INTERPRET TONGUES

1 Like

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by jamace(m): 11:12am On Nov 18, 2012
ITbomb:
grin LWKMD grin
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by thelastPope(m): 11:30am On Nov 18, 2012
I must say first and foremost that in discussing topics like this, we must lay a foundation clearly and that is that, the fact something is abused or misused doesn't make the thing bad or wrong or false. Saying a bible principle or doctrine is wrong because of abuse or misuse is also wrong. Right or wrong is determined by what the Word of God says about it.

One thing about the doctrine of tongues is that it is clearly established in the Word and in the new testament. Unlike topics like tithes, seed and many others. tongues wasn't only experienced by the apostles, it was taught, commanded and recommended and several events of it was described. Just like the doctrines of healing and miracles, it is abused today but that doesn't make the doctrine wrong or obsolete. Same goes for the doctrine of prosperity. The bible promises that those who walk with God will prosper but the prosperity doctrine being preached around today is a fraud and inconsistent with God's idea and process of prosperity.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by pastormustwacc: 11:35am On Nov 18, 2012
ITbomb:
I have been to such churches, in fact, i just look at them with eyes-kongba.
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by RedReact: 12:20pm On Nov 18, 2012
When some people speak in tongues, the language can be some other peoples' language, whose country or land has never been.
There was a case like that in which an illiterate old woman was speaking in tongue but the language she was speaking was English. It happened in Ilesa, Osun State. The woman never understood English, neither could she recite ABC.
We have tongues of men and that of angels and that is why it is being referred to as 'diverse kinds of tongues.'
What many believers speak as tongue are tongues of angels, I.e languages on no one, and can only be interpreted by the Giver of that gift Himself, the Holy Ghost.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by pekelepekele(m): 12:20pm On Nov 18, 2012
ITbomb:

Na wa oo . Omo if na me na i know dey fall i go say silently into the pastor ear
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Lyzbet: 12:22pm On Nov 18, 2012
Lord_Reed: Well, considering how I came about to be able to speak in tongues I consider it a very genuine experience. I did not seek it and in fact I was very relutant on that day to even pray but I still got it.

the end of the scripture says 'with groanings which cannot be uttered'. How does dat relate 2 speaking? Groanings that cannot be UTTERED. Try n undastnd d meanin of dat scripture very well b4 u start usin it as an excuse to 'speakin in tongues'

2 Likes

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2012
Anglish grin grin
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Originalsly: 1:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
RedReact: When some people speak in tongues, the language can be some other peoples' language, whose country or land has never been.
There was a case like that in which an illiterate old woman was speaking in tongue but the language she was speaking was English. It happened in Ilesa, Osun State. The woman never understood English, neither could she recite ABC.

Is this not an example of someone receiving the gift of tongue? Note... whatever she said could be understood or interpreted. To the defenders of the hmmm....uninterpretable tongues.... why do you talk aloud when the Bible made it clear that you should be silent if there is no interpreter?... hello?

1 Like

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Originalsly: 1:11pm On Nov 18, 2012
ITbomb:
Thanks for the confession! Lol..next time take a firm stand, open your mouth and tell the pastor you tired faking it. When he push you push him back and tell him you tired falling

1 Like

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 18, 2012
ICor 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

The article is misleading at best.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by pastormustwacc: 1:17pm On Nov 18, 2012
Originalsly: Thanks for the confession! Lol..next time take a firm stand, open your mouth and tell the pastor you tired faking it. When he push you push him back and tell him you tired falling
Na wa for them them pastors o.
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by thelastPope(m): 1:30pm On Nov 18, 2012
Originalsly: Is this not an example of someone receiving the gift of tongue? Note... whatever she said could be understood or interpreted. To the defenders of the hmmm....uninterpretable tongues.... why do you talk aloud when the Bible made it clear that you should be silent if there is no interpreter?... hello?

The bible did describe different scenarios of speaking in tongues. I Cor 14:2 showed there are occassions when you speak in tongues and people around will not understand you. But Paul again di stress that when that happens, the person speaking in tongues should control himself and not distract or derail others since his experience is not directly beneficial to everyone. Paul taught extensively about order and speaking in tongues from I Cor 12-14.

1 Like

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by larrymoore(m): 1:35pm On Nov 18, 2012
I am scoffing!
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by joe4christ(m): 1:45pm On Nov 18, 2012
[size=15pt]This is absolutely gibberish nonsense, those who wrote such an article are confused set of people who are in the verge of twisting the scriptures to suit themselves and their ideologies, but unfortunately for them it wont even change a thing, speaking in tongue is real, for those who have tasted of it knows they are'nt forming it, it flows from withen, as deep down their spirit man, it's a way of communicating with God - your spirit communicating with God in a language coded for God's hearing alone via the holy spirit, yes it is coded so the demonic spirits in the second heavens and evil spirits on earth would not be able to detect what your spirit in collaboration with the holy spirit is saying to God so they dont set trap against you to hinder your testimony in christ.
Speaking in tongues is like sending a private letter to Obama sealed in a secured envelope with secured seals so no one else can open or detect what's written inside without Obama noticing it until it gets to the receipient.
So is tongue, it's prayers hiden in mysteries unable to be deciphered by the kingdom of darkness except God himself,
and that is why speaking in tongue is a prayer directed to God alone that even your senses cannot figure it out, only the Holy spirit in connection with your spirit interceeds on your behalf to the father.
So the cannal man cannot understand this, only those in christ can.
Bless you![/size]

7 Likes

Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by LordReed(m): 2:37pm On Nov 18, 2012
Lyzbet:
the end of the scripture says 'with groanings which cannot be uttered'. How does dat relate 2 speaking? Groanings that cannot be UTTERED. Try n undastnd d meanin of dat scripture very well b4 u start usin it as an excuse to 'speakin in tongues'

Excuse? Since when did scripture become an excuse? Did the Disciples need an excuse for what happened to them after the Holy Spirit baptism?
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by jcross19: 2:42pm On Nov 18, 2012
joe4christ: [size=15pt]This is absolutely gibberish nonsense, those who wrote such an article are confused set of people who are in the verge of twisting the scriptures to suit themselves and their ideologies, but unfortunately for them it wont even change a thing, speaking in tongue is real, for those who have tasted of it knows they are'nt forming it, it flows from withen, as deep down their spirit man, it's a way of communicating with God - your spirit communicating with God in a language coded for God's hearing alone via the holy spirit, yes it is coded so the demonic spirits in the second heavens and evil spirits on earth would not be able to detect what your spirit in collaboration with the holy spirit is saying to God so they dont set trap against you to hinder your testimony in christ.
Speaking in tongues is like sending a private letter to Obama sealed in a secured envelope with secured seals so no one else can open or detect what's written inside without Obama noticing it until it gets to the receipient.
So is tongue, it's prayers hiden in mysteries unable to be deciphered by the kingdom of darkness except God himself,
and that is why speaking in tongue is a prayer directed to God alone that even your senses cannot figure it out, only the Holy spirit in connection with your spirit interceeds on your behalf to the father.
So the cannal man cannot understand this, only those in christ can.
Bless you![/size]
please can you tell me the purpose of that speaking in tongue because some that are speaking in tongue are still struggling for success . according to what you said that is like secure medium to pass message to God right without any hindrance but you forgot that the answering of your prayer depend on your faith and the grace of God . Am still asking what is the significant of that speaking in tongue ?
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Frankiss44(m): 2:52pm On Nov 18, 2012
ITbomb:

ROTFLMAO.... Guy u don mad before when dem cure because e be like say dem nor cure u finish
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by drnoel: 2:54pm On Nov 18, 2012
Lord_Reed: Well, considering how I came about to be able to speak in tongues I consider it a very genuine experience. I did not seek it and in fact I was very relutant on that day to even pray but I still got it.

Shows u r just saying gibberish with no luv 4 d listener,....did u read the OPs thread at all. U have to pray about it...
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by drnoel: 3:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
ITbomb:
I thank God for brother. Have friends who have told me the samething, but I have Neva put myself in that kind of situation. I don't pretend most especially not in church. If the pastor doesn't like it he or when can go and jump...
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by LordReed(m): 3:43pm On Nov 18, 2012
drnoel:
Shows u r just saying gibberish with no luv 4 d listener,....did u read the OPs thread at all. U have to pray about it...

How did you arrive at this conclusion? Did you even understand what I wrote? I did not go seeking for a speaking in tongues experience, it just happened to me while praying. Tell me, what happened to the Disciples at Pentecost?
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by pak: 3:48pm On Nov 18, 2012
Am not sure this post specifically address the issues raised in this thread.

But on a personal level, I speak in tongues when I want to pray and I can't seem to get the words in any of the natural languages I understand to express the thoughts that are deep in my inside.

Truth is prayer (for those that believe in God) is spiritual communication and it will be absurd to think that natural languages will suffice to express all we want to share with God. Hence the need to speak in a language where 'deep calls unto deep'.

In moments of anxiety or great pressure, excitement (there is a word for it - ineffable) the best I can do is just to flow in tongues. Especially in times when for reasons I can't mentally focus on the prayers. I open my inside (and tongue) and allow my spirit do it for me.
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Mckybarf(m): 3:49pm On Nov 18, 2012
I still wonder why people- even self acclaimed christians still cant seem to get straight about this whole issue of tongue speaking. As far as i know from scripture, there are two kinds of tongues- prophetic tongue, which requires an interpretation and devotional tongue which is just a believer speaking to God. I for one use the devotional tongue and have encountered the use of the prophetic though not personally. Cant fathom why people always seem confused about this.
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by Mckybarf(m): 3:54pm On Nov 18, 2012
Bobbysworld28:
ICor 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

The article is misleading at best.

i rather find its intent malicious. Its attempt at discreditting is a woeful failure.
Re: What Are The “tongues Of Angels” In 1 Corinthians 13:1? by FEMIMACRO(m): 4:00pm On Nov 18, 2012
Not sure Dis one understands christian doctrine at all.
Go and Read Jude20. That's my own answer dat can help u.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is My Neighbour.? / Why Do People Change Church? / Is Wearing Of Trousers By Women A Sin? The Meaning Of Deut 22:5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.