Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,471 members, 7,801,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? (18003 Views)

Are Nigerian Women Truely The Most Unfaithful? Vanguard Article / Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money / Shared Domestic Responsibilities Vs. Having Househelps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Nov 09, 2012
na wah for you people - my dad was doing all this in the 80s and 90s and people are making noise about this in 2012.

if women married men like my dad - hmmmmmmmmmm family section on nairaland would be empty - FOR REAL - too much enjoyment of ur marriage would not allow you to be posting here.

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Nov 09, 2012
cotton101: na wah for you people - my dad was doing all this in the 80s and 90s and people are making noise about this in 2012.

if women married men like my dad - hmmmmmmmmmm family section on nairaland would be empty - FOR REAL - too much enjoyment of ur marriage would not allow you to be posting here.

What was he doing? Chores?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Johndoe100(m): 1:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
Yes, Nigerian men are doing more house chores. In a recent survey it was found that 70% of men now do the cooking and 40% wash clothes and their wives underwear. This is the modern Nigerian man for you, so girls you got it made.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by debosky(m): 1:50pm On Nov 09, 2012
jennykadry:

Even when they stay on Fridays for half day you still pay the full amount. If they are usually rostered on a week day that falls into a public holiday, you must pay whether they are there or not.

Even if they are sick and not there you still pay - whether the child caught the disease from the daycare or not. If there is a snowstorm or earthquake you still pay. cheesy cheesy

That's my next business venture - Debo's Daddy Daycare. . .coming soon. cool cool
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 09, 2012
yes - chores around the house, cooking (when my mum was pregnant or late home from work and he got home before her), he used to plait hair - i have a picture to prove it, he used to do the laundry, in fact u name it he helped out and did it.

of course now i know that it was not normal for a igbo born and bred man to do all this back then (even now for some) but i never saw it as an issue.

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by coogar: 1:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
jennykadry: @coogar

Will you help your wife around the house?

of course - there's fun in sharing.....
let's be honest with ourselves - there's no way any man would leave the woman he claims to love with heavy tasks. if she spent all her energy doing housechores all day then the bedroom chores would suffer - i can tolerate headache, stomach pain, fever, cold, cough, etc but i cannot tolerate sëxual starvation......

biko, i am ready to do all the housechores sef if that's what it requires to have the great sex i crave @ night! grin

3 Likes

Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
debosky:

Even if they are sick and not there you still pay - whether the child caught the disease from the daycare or not. If there is a snowstorm or earthquake you still pay. cheesy cheesy

That's my next business venture - Debo's Daddy Daycare. . .coming soon. cool cool

if ur cheaper than my childcare and CRB certified i may consider you!!!! lol
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by eimuhb(f): 1:54pm On Nov 09, 2012
Ujujoan:

Ok, so getting a help is a better solution than hubby helping to do a few things around the home
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against helps (I have one myself), but I don't know why people think it's wrong for a man to do chores.

Some men can never help with chores because of ego, stone-age mentality and many more reasons. I feel getting a help is a better solution. What if U'r married to Bjole grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Nov 09, 2012
debosky:

Yes o you will pay as long as the kid is registered for full time and you signed the papers.

As long as you have your certification, it's a very good business but you really and genuinely have to like working with kids or else I feel sorry for those lil lives undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 09, 2012
cotton101: yes - chores around the house, cooking (when my mum was pregnant or late home from work and he got home before her), he used to plait hair - i have a picture to prove it, he used to do the laundry, in fact u name it he helped out and did it.

of course now i know that it was not normal for a igbo born and bred man to do all this back then (even now for some) but i never saw it as an issue.

Interesting
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by eimuhb(f): 2:00pm On Nov 09, 2012
[quote author=eimuhb]

Some men can never help with chores because of ego, stone-age mentality and many more reasons. I feel getting a help is a better solution. What if U'r married to Bjole grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 09, 2012
debosky:

Debo do quick abeg.I might relocate. You know us nairalander will get a discount naaa
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 09, 2012
coogar:

of course - there's fun in sharing.....
let's be honest with ourselves - there's no way any man would leave the woman he claims to love with heavy tasks. if she spent all her energy doing housechores all day then the bedroom chores would suffer - i can tolerate headache, stomach pain, fever, cold, cough, etc but i cannot tolerate sëxual starvation......

biko, i am ready to do all the housechores sef if that's what it requires to have the great sex i crave @ night! grin

Ashewooo. Your own is sex? grin answer question. Nothing wrong with you both going on one week sabbatical cool
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 09, 2012
[
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 09, 2012
cotton101: yes - chores around the house, cooking (when my mum was pregnant or late home from work and he got home before her), he used to plait hair - i have a picture to prove it, he used to do the laundry, in fact u name it he helped out and did it.

My own father is a village born and bred Igbo man cool .no shaking cool. Awwwww, God bless that man.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by coogar: 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2012
jennykadry:

Ashewooo. Your own is sex? grin answer question. Nothing wrong with you both going on one week sabbatical cool

i have answered you -
i would help my partner with house chores - it's no big deal......if its a task i cannot complete then i hire professionals to sort it out!

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by eimuhb(f): 2:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
jennykadry:

cheesy[quote author=jennykadry]

Lol!
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 09, 2012
coogar:

i have answered you -
i would help my partner with house chores - it's no big deal......if its a task i cannot complete then i hire professionals to sort it out!

God bless you sir. Are you sure you a Nigerian? Oh yea, London must have corrupted you. Did your dad help your mum around the house?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Nov 09, 2012
eimuhb:

angry angry
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by nuella50: 2:11pm On Nov 09, 2012
debrief08: Yea, especially in child care. I duff my hat for some of them, its no longer sit and read newspaper, a lot of them understand Madam now works, no more child slaves so for an efficient home they have to chip in.
Hubby is wonderful with child care, waving meals and laundary, His Mother when she visits makes him even more domestic, she had all boys and had to raise them well
. So I was lucky not to have the tradition stuck in him.
However he can be annoying sometimes, he doesn't get it done exactly how I want, I have learnt to bite my tongue and say "Thank you Baby/ Welldone baby"
We have help during the week when we are both at work, weekends its just us, we share responsibilities just as we share bills. Same way I don't fall back on my share of the bills same way he does his share of work with pride and joy. He always says to his friends who mock him; My house is my heaven, if I make it nice na me go stay enjoy am
ENJOY MY SISTER GOD GO BLESS YOU N AM WELLA OOH N GIVE ME MY OWN LIKE DAT TOO .
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by coogar: 2:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
jennykadry:

God bless you sir. Are you sure you a Nigerian? Oh yea, London must have corrupted you. Did your dad help your mum around the house?

he did!
i remember his kitchen apron when i was still a kid - and he prepares me and my siblings for school......damn, gone are those days!
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 09, 2012
coogar:

he did!
i remember his kitchen apron when i was still a kid - and he prepares me and my siblings for school......damn, gone are those days!

Ok. Now these was back in the day not even now that the world has changed. Thanks for helping me confirm that my dad was not crazy when he was doing all that he did for us back then. Lol my dad had an apron too, made out of that sack used to preserve blended corn (pap, akamu, ogi) over night and sieve the water grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 09, 2012
Jenny, Cotton una no dey alone, Daddy still cooks till today, only him and Mama left, when we were younger he was home more business Man and Politician, was there to pick us and make lunch, I love him so much, na der our bond form, I will stay with him all through while he made us lunch, he was to my young mind the finest, coolest man in the world.
My Son Loves his grand pa time, I can imagine because he is all sorts of cool, taught me golf, polo, all sorts.
We all learnt to drive at 16, change oils, maintain generators etc, Daddy is just the best jor, no one cooler than him

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by damiso(f): 2:44pm On Nov 09, 2012
@debo pls abeg we need to have childcare co operative so nld discounts like buy1get1free for ppl like us with two under 5s smiley would apply.Seriously though the childcare thing is what has made some people stay at home mum cos kini point.If i pay childcare and my travel cos i commute quite a distance am left with zero nada zilch.The other downside is getting back into the workforce after taking 5 years is getting increasingly harder.That is why a couple need to work together to achieve a common goal.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by ohzee(f): 4:16pm On Nov 09, 2012
Well I guess you are talking about men less than 50years and married less than 10years in Nigeria. A lot depends on how rich he is, the kind of work he does and the pattern both of you set early in your marriage. If he is a very busy and rich bizman who comes home after a stressful day expecting to be pampered, lady even if you are MTN CEO, he will not cook and clean for you oh! The best thing is not to expect too much, do the much you can, get a housekeeper if you are a career woman and appreciate the little or much he can do for you. Whether we like it or not,women are home makers, men are providers.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 09, 2012
debrief08: Lol @ Western Culture, You like Western Internet, You like western Dolloars and pounds, You even took western Education but when it comes to being less selfish and sacrificing Me time for Family time then Western Culture is bad. If western Culture is bad then reject it totally and all the advancement it comes with. Go back and live in thatched houses, don't attend their schools or hospitals. They want to spoil you
lol, I love u debrief08!!

I'm so happy when I read from you, jennnykadry Sisi Kill, Ujujoan, Chair cover and Kobojunkie at times. I have so much respect for you ladies.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by SisiKill1: 5:03pm On Nov 09, 2012
jennykadry:

Even when they stay on Fridays for half day you still pay the full amount. If they are usually rostered on a week day that falls into a public holiday, you must pay whether they are there or not.

People think it is that yeye naija day care they have in people's backyard. This one is serious business

Vacation nko. . .if your child has to be out of the daycare for more than a week, you better give them advance notice or you will pay for however long she's gone for. The rationale behind this is so they can know how to offset what they won't be getting from her. Every Class has a teacher to child ratio. . .depending on age.

For babies (6wks to 18months) it is 3 babies per one person. . .If it is more than 3, even if it is just one more baby, they must hire an assistant. So If you don't tell them your child isn't gonna be in school for a certain period and that assistant comes to work. . .you are paying for it. No argument!!

From the Owner's POV, it is a lucrative business!! cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 09, 2012
Shollypopz:

I'm so happy when I read from you, jennnykadry Sisi Kill, Ujujoan, Chair cover and Kobojunkie at times. I have so much respect for you ladies.
kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by dayokanu(m): 5:08pm On Nov 09, 2012
damiso: Before i started living in the west i had this erroneous impression that western men were the best husbands smiley.romantic caring helpful etc.fa fa fa foul.People are people full stop.We all have challenges its just the diff enviroments that react to it differently.I watched a documentary recently and there was a poll that said women sort of resent their men cos they now have to work and oftetimes still have to do lion share of domestic chores.Western women face the same challenges of gender roles being merged.So pls women taking care of the home is not peculiar to one culture or people

Interesting
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by dayokanu(m): 5:08pm On Nov 09, 2012
Ujujoan:

Actually, a woman's need to work may not necessarily be from lack of money. It could be for self fufillment, career advancement, making one's impact in the society e.t.c!
Your wife shouldn't just be defined as Mrs. 'you' and mama 'your kids' . . . A person should be MORE than that!
Why else will she have to go to a University and get a degree (except you married an illiterate).
If you want a slave for a wife, who's only purporse will be to satisfy YOUR needs, then get ready for a bitter bitter wife!

Are you saying all these to seduce me?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by SisiKill1: 5:25pm On Nov 09, 2012
You guys. . .I know you are joking but honestly this LONDON COOPERATIVE DAYCARE sounds like a very very good idea. I think you should really look into it. Like play, like play it can become something big oh!

And Coogar not one word! I know you are going to say. . .from cooperative meat sharing to cooperative daycaring! I know it so don't you dare!! cheesy cheesy

Shollypopz:

Awww! Thank you! kiss kiss
Re: Are Nigerian Men Taking-Up More Domestic Responsibilities In The Home? by greatgod2012(f): 5:41pm On Nov 09, 2012
dayokanu:

Are you saying all these to seduce me?

shes not saying all dt to seduce u at all, that is d fact, how do u expect to be respected when ur impact is never felt in ur marriage, when u are always at d receiving end, and now they will come and be complaining that they are not involved in decision-making, how can they? when they are not different from "bukata"
abeg, our women need to wake up,one good turn deserves another, if u respect urself, men will respect u and vice-versa, abeg i dey enter kitchen jooh.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Letter To Married African Men And Women By Temi Badmus / How Lagos Couple Died In Fire, By Neighbours (photos) / What TV Channel Do You Watch Together As A Family?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.