Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,867 members, 7,798,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? (7321 Views)

Would Nigeria Be Bad As It Is Now If Goodluck Johnathan Was Still In Power / President Buhari Was Misquoted: Like An Old Wine,he Gets Better With Age- Adesin / In Event Of World War 3, Would Nigeria Be A Safe Country To Reside? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by SlyIg(f): 8:12am On Nov 10, 2012
Na today?
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by adonisyung(m): 8:13am On Nov 10, 2012
Revealedtv:

Na wa for you ooo...what is wrong with a little sacarsm? God is not as odd minded as you are...spoilt sport...Abeg rest for one side! angry
0k!
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by slap1(m): 8:20am On Nov 10, 2012
DEPENDS ON THE TRIBE AND RELIGION.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by bright007(f): 8:21am On Nov 10, 2012
To a large extent religion and tribal diversity are primary problem militating against a united Nigeria.
I believe that if we were homogeneous both in religion and tribe,Nigeria would have been better than how it is now.
For religion,Islam is our major problem while tribe blame is equally distributed among all Nigerians.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by ogayor: 8:27am On Nov 10, 2012
Nigerian problem in my opinion is far from religion and ethnic diversity. The problem is GREED in all ramifications
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by DonaldGenes(m): 8:30am On Nov 10, 2012
adonisyung: I feel the reason for the problems Nigeria is facing is tribalism and religion....

Do you think it would be better if we all were of the same tribe and same religion?

I think we should go our separate ways,north should go their ways while we from the south-south go our own ways since so many lives have been lost all in the name of religion

1 Like

Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by adonisyung(m): 8:31am On Nov 10, 2012
slap1: DEPENDS ON THE TRIBE AND RELIGION.
Ë.g
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by adonisyung(m): 8:33am On Nov 10, 2012
bright007: To a large extent religion and tribal diversity are primary problem militating against a united Nigeria.
I believe that if we were homogeneous both in religion and tribe,Nigeria would have been better than how it is now.
For religion,Islam is our major problem while tribe blame is equally distributed among all Nigerians.
great thinker
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by charles009(m): 8:54am On Nov 10, 2012
k2039: I think they both have their merits,The problem is not than nigeira is multicultural but the point is our thinking and orientations as individuals.Their should be freedom to choose one's religion,besides the religion which is our main problem is Islam and they have it in their quran
(Qur'an 2:256)There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.

Their is obviously strenght in diversity,in an homogenous society the thinking is thesame and it's my belief that when people think and reason thesame way then obviously only one of them is needed.

I think ignorance again is another problem,each one of us should realise we didnt choose our race,ethnicity,nationality,families etc at birth,we were born into them(I'm a yoruba but I could have been born as Hausa or Igbo,so why should I be bothered about my tribe then when I didnt choose it,I'm not better of because of my tribe).Infact most of us didnt choose our religion,we are born into it.So this things shouldnt realy count.

So in Nigeria our problem is our inability to synergize and synergy is all about valuing the difference,a diverse society will achieve more due to the differences,it provides a lot of options.

E.g there are certain sport games that some tribes are better than the others,so the better ones will give the country a good representation in international games.

So my point is just that each tribe has it own weakness and strength,each one will compensate for the other's weakness.

So Nigeria is better off if we synergise rather than break away.
No try quote koran here again! U dey mad! Them tell u, whether boko hram dey here!
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by charles009(m): 8:57am On Nov 10, 2012
Kill all other fucking tribes and leave only the igbos! Naija would be better! U may leave some yorubas but endeavour to kill all hausas!
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by slap1(m): 9:06am On Nov 10, 2012
adonisyung: Ë.g
Na Laila Ikeji go do that amebo for you, I no fit.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Akanbiedu(m): 9:20am On Nov 10, 2012
Not exactly. You only need a dominant group, the others have to blend.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Oahray: 9:20am On Nov 10, 2012
Nigeria? There would surely be a new reason for discrimation and unrest. What of disputes between clans of the same tribe? What of pastors wey dey attack and accuse each other everyday, under the same christiandom? If there is jealousy and greed, there would always be a reason to hate or discriminate.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by k2039: 9:29am On Nov 10, 2012
That was the only thing you saw in my post
charles009:
No try quote koran here again! U dey mad! Them tell u, whether boko hram dey here!
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Nobody: 9:31am On Nov 10, 2012
Nigeria, and indeed, the entire world would be "BETTER' with One tribe & NO religion at all!

But since that's not possible, we have to look at issues like tolerance, functional education, good leaders and what have U...
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Thok(m): 9:33am On Nov 10, 2012
A Multicultural society is one of the intrigues of our existence as a country.. The differences and similarities that exist spices up our social lyf.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by akintun: 9:54am On Nov 10, 2012
Tribe and religion are d most obvious diff. Believe me if we have one tribe and one religion people would come up with something to make them look diff, and better than d rest. I can remember an event that occurred a couple of years ago, when a man( I think from IMO state) came to complain to my aunts about his fellow shop owners who are from Anambra. He was told to vacate his Lagos based shop becos he his not frm Anambra. I can remember my aunts telling him to just employ someone from Anambra. Dat event showed me dat d problem with Nigeria might not be tribal.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Obinoscopy(m): 10:03am On Nov 10, 2012
Nigeria will still be worse off if we were only one tribe and one religion if we still have the same orientation and the same crop of leaders. In fact we might even be worse than Somalia, a monolithic, monolingual, monotribal and islamic country. Despite Somalia's homogenous society, they're still in a mess courtesy of their leaders.

Guys lets prioritise our problems. Our multidiversity is the least of our troubles. Bad leadership is the bane of our national development and progress.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by uceee(m): 10:30am On Nov 10, 2012
The singular worst problem Nigeria has is our cultural and religious diversity. We have very different orientations. What do we even have in common? That is why there is no sense of nationhood or a collective purpose to excel. Most would say the problem is our government, but our government is just a very clear reflection of the people. Everybody wants what is best for himself, his family and his tribe in that order. Who then wants what is best for Nigeria? Nobody.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Solozzo(m): 10:35am On Nov 10, 2012
The problem with Nigeria is corruption , bad leadership and a lack of morals and ethics. These problemsfindtheir outlet in religious fanaticism and tribalism. Many states have a homogenous language and religion eg Sw And E states but how much progress have they made?

1 Like

Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Nobody: 10:56am On Nov 10, 2012
Diversity is always a problem. Let's look at it from the marriage perspective, will a marriage be more successful if it involves two people of different religion and different tribe? or two people of the same religion and dsame tribe? I think the answer to this thread lies within that scenario.

But then, diversity can be an advantage to a very enlightened nation like in the western nations, viz. America, etc...and not in an African nation where people cherish their tribal n religious sect more than any other. If the Colonial masters weren't greedy and cunning, they ought to have carved out so many countries from most countries we have in Africa today, knowing too well that Africans are tribalistic and religiously driven set of people.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Nobody: 11:03am On Nov 10, 2012
Everyone knows that corruption is Nigeria's major problem, no doubt abt that, but what brought about corruption shud be the question? Trace back into the history of Nigeria and u wud discover that the quest for tribal interest and religious fanatism has been the source and inspiration to corruption and most other problems we have today in Nigeria.

So to say, we cannot keep shying away from the truth- Nigeria as an African nation with over 250 ethnic tribes and about 4 diff religious practices is definitely too big and complicated to be a one nation!
Solozzo: The problem with Nigeria is corruption , bad leadership and a lack of morals and ethics. These problemsfindtheir outlet in religious fanaticism and tribalism. Many states have a homogenous language and religion eg Sw And E states but how much progress have they made?
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by TableLeg(m): 11:19am On Nov 10, 2012
Absolutely
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by bokohalal(m): 12:02pm On Nov 10, 2012
Not necessarily. SOMALIA comes to mind.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Novice1(m): 12:16pm On Nov 10, 2012
Even if 160 million of us were from the same father and mother, we would still have created differences in our never ending quest to grab a bigger share than the other person
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Obinoscopy(m): 12:28pm On Nov 10, 2012
Novice1: Even if 160 million of us were from the same father and mother, we would still have created differences in our never ending quest to grab a bigger share than the other person
bokohalal: Not necessarily. SOMALIA comes to mind.
Novice1: Even if 160 million of us were from the same father and mother, we would still have created differences in our never ending quest to grab a bigger share than the other person

These are well versed Nairalanders whose wisdom overwhelms me
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by BetaThings: 12:30pm On Nov 10, 2012
ekt_bear: countries are more successful when homogeneous i think

diversity is rarely a strength
Ekiti state is the most homogenous in Nigeria. Is it the most successful?
Without the brains of the former Nazi Germany scientists, America would not have put a man on the moon in 1969
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by tonygee1(m): 12:39pm On Nov 10, 2012
even if it were it is islamic religion or the kind of people that practise it now they hardly co-exist any where
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by bashr8: 12:48pm On Nov 10, 2012
ethnic and religious diversity can be a weakness or a curse ,in the case of nigeria it is a big curse
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Afam4eva(m): 1:00pm On Nov 10, 2012
This sort of diversity that Nigeria possesses has it's merits if managed properly. But it seems the Nigerian government are not managing it well that's why the demerits are dominant. I think if we had a dominant culture and religion, things would have been better off.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by ektbear: 1:19pm On Nov 10, 2012
BetaThings:
Ekiti state is the most homogenous in Nigeria. Is it the most successful?
Without the brains of the former Nazi Germany scientists, America would not have put a man on the moon in 1969

Original Poster: Is it better to be tall if one wants to be a pro NBA player?

Ekt_bear: Yes, it is.

BetaThings: But the tallest man in the world is not in the NBA. Therefore, being tall is not helpful in basketball.
Re: Would Nigeria Have Been Better With Only One Tribe And Religion? by Caseless: 1:31pm On Nov 10, 2012
There is strength in our diversity....

Nigeria would have been the worst place it was made up of just one religion and one tribe. Somalia is 99% islam and they speak somali...tell me how well they've done in the past 20 years. Again, if u look at Rwanda, u can't differentiate between hutu and tutsi when they speak, infact, they are just same language...jst regional difference due to that poor delineation done by the belgians(which also contributed to d crisis), Rwanda is 99% christainity...how far have they gone? Infact, we have the worst genocide in the history of the world in Rwanda. Nigeria is better as it is....indonesians are doing well and they have more ethnic groups than we have(other religions dey dere). Heterogeneity is cool, but politics or our gov't killed it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG To Establish Poverty Alleviation Trust Fund - Betta Edu / Appeal Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar / Pastor Kumuyi And The Break Up Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.