Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,576 members, 7,801,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? (19032 Views)

BOI To Reduce Unemployment Rate By Single Digit / What Is The Proper Way Of Sending CV Through Email? / Is It Proper To Quit So Soon?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by obyrich(m): 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2013
Redstone: It is not right in any way no matter the intent. But I think it is just a Nigerian thing, in developed world, age is not a barrier in getting a job, what is considered is your capacity to solve problems at work place, and not age. But in Nigeria, age is a barrier, and a typical Nigerian scenario is this, a graduate at the age of 24, starts looking for job and for 5 years he has not been able to get a job. Not because he doesn't have the capacity to work, but because he probably has a 2.2 and all employers are looking for 2.1, or he has 2.1 and employers are looking for first class. Time soon passes by and he wakes up one day to realize that his 30th birthday is around the corner. How does he then get a job when the age is limit is even set at 27?

Why would someone set age for employment considering the fact that it takes a lot of years to get a job. As an employer, I will seek problem solution ability in individuals.

I think the employers orientation needs total overhaul, that is why lots of people are jobless today, and lying to get a job in desperation now becomes inevitable because henormshe needs the job badly to survive and especially in a country where starting a business is like pushing an elephant through the eye of a needle.

I remember in New York, an American wanted to start an ice cream cafe, aside from his technical know how all he needed is to walk into the mall use his credit card to shop for all the equipments he needed, electricity is very constant, so naturally, half of his business needs has been met, but in Nigeria, even with the best business idea, you can't start it of you do t have the cash.

May God help us achieve our dream, NOT by lying, but in truth always.
GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR FRANKNESS. RECRUITERS IN NIGERIA ARE LOOKING FOR LIARS, AND LIARS THEY WOULD GET.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by extension: 1:29pm On Feb 02, 2013
So OBJ is not a true christian for reducing his age to join the army according to his son.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by coogar: 1:40pm On Feb 02, 2013
it's very proper and widely accepted.
the employers are ageists - they want young employees with hundreds of years of experience - lying is what they want and lies they would get!
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pergrace: 2:29pm On Feb 02, 2013
No it is not proper

No matter your age, what will be will be.
I remember at age 30, I went to the UK to study for my Masters program based on the following:
1. I couldnt apply for graduate positions here in Nigeria because of my age.Mind you I don apply tire for Naija sotey I pass age 27.. grin grin..
2. I needed to upgrade my status in other to make a head way in the job market
3. Probably come back to Nigeria and excel in my career as a post graduate experienced personnel.

In the UK,I found out that age was never a barrier cos I got a couple of interviews for graduate positions.
However,I was NOT able to hit a dream job in the likes of Exxonmobil, Shell,Chevron, Schlumberger etc.Getting fustrated,I decided to return to Nigeria,within 6 months I got a job.Right now I am doing well in an Oil and Gas company.I did not enter as a graduate but got a job as a manager.

So my advice is please,do not reduce your age

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by larkson(m): 2:59pm On Feb 02, 2013
Just like asking if it is proper to reduce your age to play soccer?
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pidivine: 4:55pm On Feb 02, 2013
I appreciate all your comments. They are an eye opener

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by newmaonza: 6:47pm On Feb 02, 2013
obyrich:
Before condemning him to hell, have you taken your time to ask the morality behind placing age limits for employment in a country like Nigeria? What is wrong with a30 year old man or woman working in a bank when we all know that only few people dream of working till they attain the official retirement age? The truth is that you can't make heaven from Nigeria, better relocate if you are serious with your heavenly race. [b]IS DISCRIMINATION ON THE BASIS OF AGE NOT SATANIC?[/b]
..............Men U bad o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by kemifemi: 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2013
I was at an interview last year and they told me to my face that I was the best candidate for the job but they didn't want a woman. I was so pissed off that I felt like landing the man a dirty slap!

My married friend went for an interview. When she sensed that d interviewers didn't want a married woman, she just told them she was single. She had been denied jobs for which she was qualified cos of her marital status. She really needed a job at that time cos her husband pay couldn't pay the bills.

Its not right to lie about anything but na condition make fish bend o.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Admonition: 8:20pm On Feb 02, 2013
MY dear it is very bad to do that as a child of God, what ever is 4 u will come age will not be a barrier to it. T he bible says thy should not lie and when we do that, that means God is not our father, but the son or daughter of Satan because he is father of all lairs. Don't worry be happy just be faithful God will bring your own job for you. thanks and God bless byou.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by StepG: 8:20pm On Feb 02, 2013
PHIPEX: If you do and later repent, you must go back to confess for you to be forgiven. Imagine making such confession when you have climbed the ladder of success and perhaps have become a public figure? Whatever a man sows, he shall surely reap. Sow lie and reap aboundant lie later in life, it's an immutable law of life.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pidivine: 10:26pm On Feb 02, 2013
Admonition: MY dear it is very bad to do that as a child of God, what ever is 4 u will come age will not be a barrier to it. T he bible says thy should not lie and when we do that, that means God is not our father, but the son or daughter of Satan because he is father of all lairs. Don't worry be happy just be faithful God will bring your own job for you. thanks and God bless byou.
Amen
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Feb 02, 2013
STAY THERE AND DON'T REDUCE YOUR AGE,PAST AND PRESENT PRESIDENTS OF NIGERIA HAVE BEEN REDUCING THEIR AGE.STOP THIS HOLIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE,DON'T YOU KNOW NIGERIA IS A FAILED NATION

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by evanify(f): 11:04am On Feb 03, 2013
Just pray u dont find yourself in life's situation where u'l b forced to reduce your age.... People hav gone thru hell in this country just because of age.. Pls let's drop these self righteous comments and face reality...

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Winken: 12:23pm On Feb 03, 2013
Nayoanalytical: STAY THERE AND DON'T REDUCE YOUR AGE,PAST AND PRESENT PRESIDENTS OF NIGERIA HAVE BEEN REDUCING THEIR AGE.STOP THIS HOLIER THAN THOU ATTITUDE,DON'T YOU KNOW NIGERIA IS A FAILED NATION

Dont you think during verification of result from WAEC they will find out your real age since you supplied it then before writting the exams? Abi WAEC verify just the authenticity of the grades alone?
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by sunjos79: 1:26pm On Feb 03, 2013
I dont pretend.I will reduce it again and again.this is my world and it left with me not to let opportunity pass me bye.GEJ,OBJ,DAVID MARK etc have false ages.I dont know the problem with we poor and our holy holy stigma.soonest u wud realize that any job graduate entry level will be 20yrs of which it would be dawn on u.let put God out of it.prophet samuel had to lie in the bible to king saul when he went to anoint david.pls wise up!unless ur cert reveal ur age.pls if u c any openings that u can not tell lie,pls send it to my email:
adigunbobo@gmail.com.i will appreciate it.or call me on 07037837370.i promise u i would not be detected.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 03, 2013
Of course not! Its fraud
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by AdexOmoby(f): 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2013
uzeba: I don't think it is wrong, because some people didn't even know their age!! If them increse or reduce it, it is just ignorance not sin!! #kapish#
But once you know your age and you are fully aware of it, den it becomes a sin!!!
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by AdexOmoby(f): 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2013
kemifemi: I was at an interview last year and they told me to my face that I was the best candidate for the job but they didn't want a woman. I was so pissed off that I felt like landing the man a dirty slap!

My married friend went for an interview. When she sensed that d interviewers didn't want a married woman, she just told them she was single. She had been denied jobs for which she was qualified cos of her marital status. She really needed a job at that time cos her husband pay couldn't pay the bills.

Its not right to lie about anything but na condition make fish bend o.
Its really tempting I must say, infact...a 100percent tempting but despite,its isnt the best way. Its isnt God's way!! Its may just be God's own way of testing her, perhaps he has a better job for her just after the interview lie she fell for. I am not condenming here becz Nigeria doesnt even help matters, but irrespective, its always better to think long term of whatever action and choice we make! Dere are so many things jut above our nose we dont see!!
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by AdexOmoby(f): 9:54pm On Feb 03, 2013
[quote author=Step-G][/quote]
In addition, we cant always erase the consequences of our action even if we have asked for forgiveness.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pidivine: 12:26pm On Feb 04, 2013
AdexOmoby:
In addition, we can't always erase the consequences of our action even if we have asked for forgiveness.
I've resolved to be self employed. Though still apply for jobs anyway. Pls when u guys become employers do not place the age hurdle.
My friend in deeper life just called and told me that his church refuse to join him in marriage because he is older than is fiancee by 10year. If he had lied he wouldn't have had issue. Why are we bent in frustrating the youth of this generation? Even in religious places age has also become a barrier.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by samuelfemo(m): 12:31pm On Feb 04, 2013
yea
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by adubam(m): 1:29pm On Feb 04, 2013
Pidivine:
I've resolved to be self employed. Though still apply for jobs anyway. Pls when u guys become employers do not place the age hurdle.
My friend in deeper life just called and told me that his church refuse to join him in marriage because he is older than is fiancee by 10year. If he had lied he wouldn't have had issue. Why are we bent in frustrating the youth of this generation? Even in religious places age has also become a barrier.
And their G.O was older than his late wife with 13years.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by adubam(m): 1:47pm On Feb 04, 2013
Pidivine: Is It Proper For Any Reason To Reduce Your Age To Get a job?

It has become a norm for job seekers to reduce their age(s) to secure jobs no thanks to employers of labour. Please do you think it is proper either as a christian or moslem?.
I tried it once even against the warning of the spirit of God. I was arrested by Nigeria Police. My offence ' why did u reduce your age?' said the police men. I went to office after I was let go, and tore that rubbish to pieces. 'what shall it profit a man if he gains the world and loss is soul? Avoid it.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by adubam(m): 9:12am On Feb 22, 2013
avoid it!
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by obyrich(m): 9:36pm On Feb 22, 2013
Pidivine:
Lwkmd. This is the greatest hypocrisy of all! Is this biblical or the wisdom of man? Soon they will have an Association of Frustrated Women in Deeper Life.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by obyrich(m): 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2013
Pergrace: No it is not proper

No matter your age, what will be will be.
I remember at age 30, I went to the UK to study for my Masters program based on the following:
1. I couldnt apply for graduate positions here in Nigeria because of my age.Mind you I don apply tire for Naija sotey I pass age 27.. grin grin..
2. I needed to upgrade my status in other to make a head way in the job market
3. Probably come back to Nigeria and excel in my career as a post graduate experienced personnel.

In the UK,I found out that age was never a barrier cos I got a couple of interviews for graduate positions.
However,I was NOT able to hit a dream job in the likes of Exxonmobil, Shell,Chevron, Schlumberger etc.Getting fustrated,I decided to return to Nigeria,within 6 months I got a job.Right now I am doing well in an Oil and Gas company.I did not enter as a graduate but got a job as a manager.

So my advice is please,do not reduce your age
How many people will have the privilege of travelling abroad to upgrade after being frustrated in Nigeria? Yours is a special case cos u have a better alternative. What will you tell someone who has no one else to help them financially?
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by temtoptempo1(m): 10:28pm On Feb 22, 2013
Most times the age specification by employer is tempting ooooooo
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pidivine: 10:20pm On Apr 05, 2013
temtoptempo1: Most times the age specification by employer is tempting ooooooo
God go help us.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by B5: 4:17pm On Apr 09, 2013
Abeg follow your mind
Under normal circumstances, it is NOT supposed to be so, but Nigeria circumstances is not normal.
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by Pidivine: 10:27am On May 04, 2013
B2..:
Abeg follow your mind
Under normal circumstances, it is NOT supposed to be so, but Nigeria circumstances is not normal.
meaning what?
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by nyabingi(m): 11:24am On May 04, 2013
many workers in the church who work in the corporate world reduced their age to gain employment and they have since climbed the ladder of success in their chosen careers and giving their tithes from the proceeds...this is a testimony!!
Re: Is It Proper To Reduce Your Age To Get a Job? by B5: 10:37pm On May 05, 2013
Pidivine:
meaning what?
Don't tell me you don't understand simple english.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can You Accept Job Offer Of A Loan Officer? Considering The Troubles It's having / Crazy Things Done During Job Hunting / My Boss Refuses To Pay Me My Salary For June Till Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.