Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas (20846 Views)

Why Applicants Are Denied US Visas – Consul-general / More Reasons Why Visa Applications Are Refused / Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by justphillips(m): 11:55am On Nov 14, 2012
Vice-Consul, United States Consulate, Lagos, Mr. Christopher Richardson, says many applicants are refused American visas because they have not visited other countries.

Richardson spoke at a seminar on the ‘American Visa Regime: the role of lawyers’ organized by the Immigration Lawyers Forum in Lagos on Tuesday.

He said, “The majority of the visa applicants prefer the US as their first outing. This creates doubt, especially when the applicant has not visited any other countries before.”

Richardson also said applicants were also rejected visas because of the kind of answers they give to test questions during interviews.

He said, “When a question, such as ‘do you have a relation in the US?’ Most often, they are quick to say ‘yes’, which of course, is in order.

“Such an answer creates doubt that since the person has a relation, there is every tendency that the person may not want to come back. So visas can be rejected on that ground.”

He said Nigerians were among the countries with highest number of visa rejections.

The Chairman, ILAF, Titus Ajijola, said the seminar was designed to enhance the protection of migrant rights.

He said, “Key strategies of the project are awareness raising, knowledge and skills improvement on the rules, as well as rights and obligations of migrants to encourage respect for the rights of migrants.”

He said ILAF was designed to educate the general public on immigration matters

source:
http://talkofnaija.com/index.php/component/noticeboard/?view=noticeboard&id=630

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Vicjustice: 12:20pm On Nov 14, 2012
justphillips: Vice-Consul, United States Consulate, Lagos, Mr. Christopher Richardson, says many applicants are refused American visas because they have not visited other countries.

Richardson spoke at a seminar on the ‘American Visa Regime: the role of lawyers’ organized by the Immigration Lawyers Forum in Lagos on Tuesday.

He said, “The majority of the visa applicants prefer the US as their first outing. This creates doubt, especially when the applicant has not visited any other countries before.”
If every country has to refuse visa applicants because they have not visited another country before, then, who will issue a visa to a legitimate traveller?
This is just as inconsiderate as a company offering employment to candidates who have had work experience with other companies: who then would employ a fresh graduate?

justphillips:
Richardson also said applicants were also rejected visas because of the kind of answers they give to test questions during interviews.

He said, “When a question, such as ‘do you have a relation in the US?’ Most often, they are quick to say ‘yes’, which of course, is in order.

“Such an answer creates doubt that since the person has a relation, there is every tendency that the person may not want to come back. So visas can be rejected on that ground.”
This man should not be a spokes-man because his reasoning is utterly stυpid. How does having a relative in a country jeopardise the chance of a genuine visa applicant who wants to visit the country or his relative?
The only thing that may jeopardise your chance of visiting a country where you have a relative is the criminal record, the reputation, the activities, the social stance and the history etc of the relative who you use as a reference

28 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by dilbert100: 2:50pm On Nov 14, 2012
typical u.s really.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by RedLight1: 2:56pm On Nov 14, 2012
Vicjustice:
If every country has to refuse visa applicants because they have not visited another country before, then, who will issue a visa to a legitimate traveller?
This is just as inconsiderate as a company offering employment to candidates who have had work experience with other companies: who then would employ a fresh graduate?

This man should not be a spokes-man because his reasoning is utterly stυpid. How does having a relative in a country jeopardise the chance of a genuine visa applicant who wants to visit the country or his relative?
The only thing that may jeopardise your chance of visiting a country where you have a relative is the criminal record, the reputation, the activities, the social stance and the history etc of the relative who you use as a reference
u said it all .. No more comment jare..
Its not their fault anyway, if nigerians had put their house in order, Who will wana get embarassed by these stupiid people to get visa to their country.. May be there is more to it that these stupiid consul aint tellin us

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by zangiff(m): 2:57pm On Nov 14, 2012
Is that suppose to be a criteria, although his reason also count.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Itoroetti(m): 2:58pm On Nov 14, 2012
Why do al of u wana go to d US?cant u stay back in ur country?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Afam4eva(m): 3:00pm On Nov 14, 2012
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Hadeyeancah(m): 3:01pm On Nov 14, 2012
There are some countries which are better than U.S like Australia,New Zealand even Brazil,China are now coming up ....
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by mob82: 3:01pm On Nov 14, 2012
In other words, we should start lying when we fill our visa applications?

I also berra visit Ghana & Togo too, before i apply for a U.S visa. smiley
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by stshakes(m): 3:01pm On Nov 14, 2012
I was at that fvcking embassy last 2weeks. Took my mum there for her visa since she wanted to go see go see my elder bro whose wife just gave birth. The fuckers deny her the thing o. So now I know why.. so when dem ask am who she know for US, make she deny her son abi? Na wa for Yankee sha...

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 14, 2012

Sir, do you want me to believe this? Ok what happened to 16 countries Visa on my passport 2 Asia, the whole of west africa, South Africa, Egypt, Spain, Turkey and without checking my documents 5min question and your boy told me to apply back in the nearest future do i still hold a virgin passport? I dont get you sir mr. Richard explain very well thank you.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by johndavid1(m): 3:04pm On Nov 14, 2012
Vicjustice:
No Country then.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by dunmorris(m): 3:09pm On Nov 14, 2012
0809ja 4 life. if Naija Is Good>>>>
Jay Z will be beging 4 Visa to 9ja
Akon will Build House in Shagamu
Obama will say He is from 9ja
Mit rROMNEY will come to 9ja 4 treatment
Mr. jinchen yung Will Not Exploit us...

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Youngzedd(m): 3:11pm On Nov 14, 2012
Reserved
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by RedLight1: 3:12pm On Nov 14, 2012
Hadeyeancah: There are some countries which are better than U.S like Australia,New Zealand even Brazil,China are now coming up ....
those countries are full of racist

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 14, 2012
Too much English tongue

Simple. You Nigerians are like a scourge that breeds disease anywhere they go. America is tired of you guys. Stay in your country. They don't want you turning theirs into a shithole.

Simple.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 14, 2012
Red-Light:

those countries are full of racist
Brazil is NOT a racist country.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by RedLight1: 3:15pm On Nov 14, 2012
dunmorris: 0809ja 4 life. if Naija Is Good>>>>
Jay Z will be beging 4 Visa to 9ja
Akon will Build House in Shagamu
Obama will say He is from 9ja
Mit rROMNEY will come to 9ja 4 treatment
Mr. jinchen yung Will Not Exploit us...
words!!
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 14, 2012
If only Nigerians can visit other beautiful places for holiday. Kenya, Ghana, and Tanzania comes to mind. The USA would have to shove their visas in their divided a*se for real.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Nobody: 3:15pm On Nov 14, 2012
angry
pDude: Too much English tongue

Simple. You Nigerians are like a scourge that breeds disease anywhere they go. America is tired of you guys. Stay in your country. They don't want you turning theirs into a shithole.

Simple.
your papa left nyansh is a scourge that breeds disease every where it goes.

6 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Youngzedd(m): 3:16pm On Nov 14, 2012
Hadeyeancah: There are some countries which are better than U.S like Australia,New Zealand even Brazil,China are now coming up ....

Language is also what u have to consider.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Finland(m): 3:17pm On Nov 14, 2012
justphillips: He said, “When a question, such as ‘do you have a relation in the US?’ Most often, they are quick to say ‘yes’, which of course, is in order.

source:
http://talkofnaija.com/index.php/component/noticeboard/?view=noticeboard&id=630
should they lie instead? Arrogant U.S angry
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by lovemoneyn: 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2012
U must be a lebanese
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by SELFWORTH: 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2012

Simple.

This can be the case especially when people get the visas to go to the country and then don't keep the conditions of the visa ( they dont pay their school fees, work more than the legally allowed hours)They jeopardise the chances of all those who are yet to travel to that country. It much more out fault than the US.

Please lets sort out our own country first before criticising others. The Nigerian embassies outside Nigeria is worse than some of these international embassies.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Youngzedd(m): 3:20pm On Nov 14, 2012
mob82: In other words, we should start lying when we fill our visa applications?

I also berra visit Ghana & Togo too, before i apply for a U.S visa. smiley

Na soooooooo...
Also add Rwanda on the list.

That is what they want but come to think of it, these countries you listed haha!

Are you sure they will accept any of the above country.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by lovemoneyn: 3:21pm On Nov 14, 2012

Simple.

u must be a lebanese
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by RedLight1: 3:21pm On Nov 14, 2012
J12:

may be, but the rest are full of bloody racist... besides its hard to make a living a brazil unlike us
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Mckybarf(m): 3:25pm On Nov 14, 2012
better? How do you define your 'better'? Come to think of it, if your people found those places you mentioned better, why do they go begging at the doorstep of the american consulate? Please!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by SELFWORTH: 3:27pm On Nov 14, 2012
J12:

.... Really. The only country where you are fully "accepted" for your own race is your own country. Please don't be naive. Just say you have not experienced racism personally.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Nobody: 3:27pm On Nov 14, 2012
Mtschew! The US is not worth it. Stay in Naija!
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 14, 2012
SELFWORTH:

.... Really. The only country where you are fully "accepted" for your own race is your own country. Please don't be naive. Just say you have not experienced racism personally.

How many non-traveled Nigerians HAVE experienced racism personally?
Re: Why Nigerians Are Refused US Visas by candieangel12(f): 3:31pm On Nov 14, 2012
I love my country, America, born and bred but I have to say stuff like this makes me wonder about where we, Americans, are heading to. I understand that they are still in recovery from 9/11 and other attacks and thus want to beef up the immigration laws BUT they have seem to have forgotten that America is land of the immigrants. We are so quick to forget our history, everyone in America is an immigrant. We need to get our noses out of the sky.

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2)

Where Is The Money Generated From Apapa Wharf Daily? - Man Writes On Apapa Road / Uk Student Visa / Dana Air Takes Delivery Of First Boeing 737 Aircraft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.