Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? (9939 Views)

Elderly Nigerian Couple On A Romantic Date At A Park / My Step-father Sneaked Into My Room And Made Love To Me / What Kind Of Woman Would You Love To Marry- Choose (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 3:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
Let me hear people's views especially the people that are married and those that advocate love.

How do you see love?

What is it?

How is it embodied?

How should it work?

Is it important in a relationship?

Is it sustainable?

Can marriage be good if it is weak?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
First, is there anything like romantic love? lol

Sagamite: Let me hear people's views especially the people that are married and those that advocate love.

How do you see love?

I see love as commitment between two people. It goes beyond the mushy mushy feeling. It's deep, it's sacrificial. It's not selfish and it certainly hurt.

What is it?

What is what? Didn't u just ask that up there? tongue

How is it embodied?

Well, this is where the different personality comes to play. I believe love is expressive; not only in words, but in actions.

How should it work?

How it should work depends on the individuals involved. Ideally, true love should be built on trust, truth, sincerity, mutual respect and understanding.

You should love yourselves enough not to want to choke the other person. Be considerate. Acknowledge your partners feelings, aspirations and preferences too.

Yes. I believe it is. Some can do without it though.

Is it sustainable?

As the saying goes. . . love conquers all

I believe we need more to sustain a relationship, but with true love one can get by.

Well, people marry for different reasons. But, it is better if/when love is the foundation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 4:41pm On Nov 15, 2012
Tgirl4real: First, is there anything like romantic love? lol

The term "romantic" was to delineate between parent/sibling/offspring love and partner love.

Tgirl4real:
I see love as commitment between two people. It goes beyond the mushy mushy feeling. It's deep, it's sacrificial. It's not selfish and it certainly hurt.

What is what? Didn't u just ask that up there? tongue

Well, this is where the different personality comes to play. I believe love is expressive; not only in words, but in actions.

How it should work depends on the individuals involved. Ideally, true love should be built on trust, truth, sincerity, mutual respect and understanding.

You should love yourselves enough not to want to choke the other person. Be considerate. Acknowledge your partners feelings, aspirations and preferences too.

Yes. I believe it is. Some can do without it though.

As the saying goes. . . love conquers all

I believe we need more to sustain a relationship, but with true love one can get by.

Well, people marry for different reasons. But, it is better if/when love is the foundation.

So, to you, love is more of a commitment? Less of a feeling?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

The term "romantic" was to delineate between parent/sibling/offspring love and partner love.

I was just being cheeky. tongue

So, to you, love is more of a commitment? Less of a feeling?

I won't really put it that way. The 2 should go hand in hand. But, when the feeling fades, commitment should keep u going.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
Tgirl4real:
I was just being cheeky. tongue

I won't really put it that way. The 2 should go hand in hand. But, when the feeling fades, commitment should keep u going.

So you kind of agree love (or the feeling part of it) normally has a timestamp?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
Hehehe, Sagamite e be like say you wanna marry. . . cool
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

So you kind of agree love (or the feeling part of it) normally has a timestamp?

lol

Well, the glow can be sustained with the right stuff. U can always keep the flames of ur love burning. Love should be nurtured, tendered cared for, fed...u just name it.

The commitment part is so not to jump out each time u feel do don't love ur partner no more. When u are committed to loving someone, it's all u wanna do. U do things to please the person. U are willing to go the extra mile to make it work. It will only turn sour if your partner is no longer committed. It takes two to tango.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 5:04pm On Nov 15, 2012
stillwater: Hehehe, Sagamite e be like say you wanna marry. . . cool

GOD FORBID!

I REJECT THAT IN THE NAME OF JESUS!

FFFFIRE!

1 Like

Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 5:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
Tgirl4real:

lol

Well, the glow can be sustained with the right stuff. U can always keep the flames of ur love burning. Love should be nurtured, tendered cared for, fed...u just name it.

The commitment part is so not to jump out each time u feel do don't love ur partner no more. When u are committed to loving someone, it's all u wanna do. U do things to please the person. U are willing to go the extra mile to make it work. It will only turn sour if your partner is no longer committed. It takes two to tango.

What about if you love someone else?

What about if the timestamp of the first dies and you found a new flame?

What about if you never really loved the first person before, you just love the way they loved you, the person you really love is someone in your past?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

GOD FORBID!

I REJECT THAT IN THE NAME OF JESUS!

FFFFIRE!

Don't worry, sooner or later I'd be getting an invite from you. Sagamama weds Sagabobo.grin

As for your topic. Personally, that is a tautologyyyyyy!!! Romantic love? Can they exist without the other in my dictionary? Impossible!
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 5:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
stillwater:

Don't worry, sooner or later I'd be getting an invite from you. Sagamama weds Sagabobo.grin

As for your topic. Personally, that is a tautologyyyyyy!!! Romantic love? Can they exist without the other in my dictionary? Impossible!

So, to you, love is a delusion?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite interested in love shocked

I'll be damned!
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

So, to you, love is a delusion?

Huh, delu-wetin? How did you come about that?
To me, love and romance are intertwined. No need to specify it as romantic.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2012
Romantic love is most times a selfish form of love.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ujujoan: Sagamite interested in love shocked

I'll be damned!

Huh? undecided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5vulA50tyI&list
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
stillwater:

Huh, delu-wetin? How did you come about that?
To me, love and romance are intertwined. No need to specify it as romantic.

Okay, describe what love is then. Feel free to mix the description with romance.

carefreewannabe: Romantic love is most times a selfish form of love.

Sorry I have not replied to that your last post. I have it in mind but kinda busy. I want to reply academically. So I will get to it soon. cool

Anyway, why do you see it as selfish?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

Okay, describe what love is then. Feel free to mix the description with romance.

Sorry I have not replied to that your last post. I have it in mind but kinda busy. I want to reply academically. So I will get to it soon. cool

Anyway, why do you see it as selfish?

You're very polite kiss

What a coincidence you have just opened this thread. I discussed the question with a friend JUST yesterday.
I told her what I have just said to you.

I said: 'I love you' is a sentence that begins with the personal pronoun 'I' and in fact it is all about 'I' and 'ME'. I, in the first place, you follow but you're just " a means to an end".
People say they love others because they get something out of it or at least hope to get something and even expect to get something.
Ask people why they love their partners and you'll get answers like:

"He / she takes care of ME."
"He / she makes ME smile."
"He / She takes ME places I have never been to."
"He / She satisfies ME in bed".
"He / She completes ME."
"He / She makes ME a better person."

The list goes on and on and on.
Note: People have a combination of the reasons mentioned above and some others that are about 'I' and 'Me'.

Now, what is even more interesting is that people "love" their partners AS LONG AS they meet / fulfill their expectaions and needs. BUT what happens if the partner stops doing so? The person you called baby, honey, boo becomes a b.itch, an a.sshole and so on and in many cases bitter feelings and hatred evolve.

Bottom line: We "love" people because they do something for us, something we want and / or need, something that makes us feel good. Take it away and "love" will die, sooner or later.

1 Like

Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

Passionate affection towards someone exhibited through the acts of romance.grin This definition is specific to my relationships only.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Omolola1(f): 6:07pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite: Let me hear people's views especially the people that are married and those that advocate love.

How do you see love?

What is it?

How is it embodied?

How should it work?

Is it sustainable?

Before anything I am not married! The comment am about to make is based purely on what av noticed around me!

Love is a strong emotional feeling between two people. .we feel love everyday, we share love everyday! BUT love is not sustainable in marriage and in a relationship!
Most of the people that gets divorce this days or break up their relationships didn't separate for lack of love, they did because they just could not live with each other.

If you ask someone divorced today on reasons he or she separated, answers would be "I love him but he's a beast! "I love her but she nags a lot" this isn't because they don't love each other, its because they can't live together, no understanding and there is no patience.

Love alone is not enough in a relationship!

2 Likes

Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 6:12pm On Nov 15, 2012
carefreewannabe:

You're very polite kiss

What a coincidence you have just opened this thread. I discussed the question with a friend JUST yesterday.
I told her what I have just said to you.

I said: 'I love you' is a sentence that begins with the personal pronoun 'I' and in fact it is all about 'I' and 'ME'. I, in the first place, you follow but you're just " a means to an end".
People say they love others because they get something out of it or at least hope to get something and even expect to get something.
Ask people why they love their partners and you'll get answers like:

"He / she takes care of ME."
"He / she makes ME smile."
"He / She takes ME places I have never been to."
"He / She satisfies ME in bed".
"He / She completes ME."
"He / She makes ME a better person."

The list goes on and on and on.
Note: That people have a combination of the reasons mentioned above.

Now, what is even more interesting is that people love their partners AS LONG AS they meet / fulfill their expectaions and needs. BUT what happens if the partner stops doing so? The person you called baby, honey, boo becomes a b.itch, an a.sshole and so on and in many cases bitter feelings and hatred evolve.

Bottom line: We love people because they do something for us, something we want and / or need, something that makes us feel good. Take it away and love will die, sooner or later.

Hmm! Good point.

So, considering love is selfish, would you recommend people get into it?

How committed should they be to the selfish concept?

Also, should they get into it even when all their desire at that point is to bed the other person and the other person wants commitment?

The other person is being selfish because they "love", so why can't they be selfish back to get laid?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 6:14pm On Nov 15, 2012
stillwater:

Passionate affection towards someone exhibited through the acts of romance.grin This definition is specific to my relationships only.

So it can be anybody you are attracted to? Not really a special one, just any of the special people that come your way?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 6:16pm On Nov 15, 2012
Omolola1:

Before anything I am not married! The comment am about to make is based purely on what av noticed around me!

Love is a strong emotional feeling between two people. .we feel love everyday, we share love everyday! BUT love is not sustainable in marriage and in a relationship!
Most of the people that gets divorce this days or break up their relationships didn't separate for lack of love, they did because they just could not live with each other.

If you ask someone divorced today on reasons he or she separated, answers would be "I love him but he's a beast! "I love her but she nags a lot" this isn't because they don't love each other, its because they can't live together, no understanding and there is no patience.

Love alone is not enough in a relationship!

Hmm. You took the opposite end from Tgirl. You feel love is more of a feeling than a commitment.

Can love then be plural? Can you have it for multiple people?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

Hmm! Good point.

So, considering love is selfish, would you recommend people get into it?

How committed should they be to the selfish concept?

Also, should they get into it even when all their desire at that point is to bed the other person and the other person wants commitment?

The other person is being selfish because they "love", so why can't they be selfish back to get laid?

Yes, i would recommend that people get into it because for some time it will make them very happy. And people who are "in love" are very friendly and peaceful. wink
They can also be annoying but that's a different topic cheesy

It differs how committed people get, it's a question of personality and choice. Many people are (unconsciously) opprtunistic and invest as much as they get out of it or a bit more or a bit less ... It depends on the person. I can't tell how committed someone SHOULD be.

If you ONLY want to sleep with someone (I hope I got your question right here) and the other person wants commitment, then you are faced with an encounter that will MOST LIKELY end very soon. Commitment is a choice and requires effort and energy. If sleeping with the person is worth this effort and energy, go on, it MIGHT work but I doubt it will.

Everyone is selfish. This is not bad per se but I believe in honesty and as you ALREADY know fair play wink
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
I don't think it is plural and i am speaking for myself. I can only be in love with one person at a time
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

So it can be anybody you are attracted to? Not really a special one, just any of the special people that come your way?

No it doesn't apply to anybody. For example, I am attracted to any fine, tall man, but it's impossible to have a passionate affection, or care for such a person, unless I get to know the person better, and the relationship is defined.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 6:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
jennykadry: I don't think it is plural and i am speaking for myself. I can only be in love with one person at a time

So it is duplicable?

There is no "soul mate"?

Do you think love is a choice?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 6:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
carefreewannabe:

Yes, i would recommend that people get into it because for some time it will make them very happy. And people who are "in love" are very friendly and peaceful. wink
They can also be annoying but that's a different topic cheesy

It differs how committed people get, it's a question of personality and choice. Many people are (unconsciously) opprtunistic and invest as much as they get out of it or a bit more or a bit less ... It depends on the person. I can't tell how committed someone SHOULD be.

If you ONLY want to sleep with someone (I hope I got your question right here) and the other person wants commitment, then you are faced with an encounter that will MOST LIKELY end very soon. Commitment is a choice and requires effort and energy. If sleeping with the person is worth this effort and energy, go on, it MIGHT work but I doubt it will.

Everyone is selfish. This is not bad per se but I believe in honesty and as you ALREADY know fair play wink

So there must be nothing fundamentally wrong to want to leave when that happiness ends (even if temporarily), subsides or a better one can be found with someone else? tongue

Since if is built on a foundation of selfishness, one should be free to be selfish? wink
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Omolola1(f): 6:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

Hmm. You took the opposite end from Tgirl. You feel more is more of a feeling than a commitment.

Can love then be plural? Can you have it for multiple people?

This is why there are different types of love. LOVE generally is an emotional feeling. But when it comes to the kind of love you feel towards someone, it could be plural and it could be singular!
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 6:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
stillwater:

No it doesn't apply to anybody. For example, I am attracted to any fine, tall man, but it's impossible to have a passionate affection, or care for such a person, unless I get to know the person better, and the relationship is defined.

So you can get to know someon better and the love them but there may be someone out there if you got to know better, you would love more?
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Sagamite(m): 6:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
Omolola1:

This is why there are different types of love. LOVE generally is an emotional feeling. But when it comes to the kind of love you feel towards someone, it could be plural and it could be singular!

So you argue someone can love more than one person.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
People fall out of love for reasons best known to them. Debrief fell out of love with her ex.

There is a soul mate. when someone respects you and respects the love you have for them, they tend to hang around for decades

Choice as in choose to fall in love ni? I don't think we choose people we fall in love with, it just happens and I know we sometimes try to fight it but no matter how hard we try, it still stays put

But having seen things around me, I often ask myself if people know the difference between love and infatuation.
Re: What Is Romantic Love To You And In What Form Does It Come? by Omolola1(f): 6:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
Sagamite:

So you argue someone can love more than one person.

Depending on the kind of love he feels for that person

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is Marriage a Life time Commitment? Live Debate - Semi Finals / A Family Budget That Works - updated with spread sheet. / Unbelievable! Man Marries Three Blood Sisters!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.