Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:06 AM

ASUU To Strike Again? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU To Strike Again? (6009 Views)

Poll: For or against?

I support the ASUU strike: 15% (12 votes)
I do not support the strike: 85% (68 votes)
This poll has ended

FG Forced ASUU To Embark On Strike / ASUU To Call Off Strike On Monday / Breaking News: ASUU To Embark On Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU To Strike Again? by ajulijuli(m): 11:44am On Feb 05, 2008
ASUU Strike Again!

Nawa for this country o. Come February 11, ASUU is threatening war with the federal government over the 49 sacked lecturers. Let us beg Umaru to stop playing ASUU.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by Seun(m): 12:12pm On Feb 05, 2008
The case for the establishment of more private universities grows stronger by the day.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by talk2sulta: 12:23pm On Feb 05, 2008
Umaru has flip flopped a lot.today,he is saying one thing,tommorow he is saying another.that is the attitude of a man suffering from legitimacy problem.he wants to look populist forgetting that he cant carry everyone along.Nigeria!OH MY NIGERIA!

when will you get out of this mess?
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by ogrebuga(m): 12:27pm On Feb 05, 2008
And the school that sacked the 49 lecturers won't even join the strike. . . ASSHOLESUU wake up!!!
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by blackmann(m): 12:35pm On Feb 05, 2008
Later NYSC will be saying that there are too many fresh graduates. I don't blame those that leave the country one bit.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by clareomiz(f): 1:16pm On Feb 05, 2008
But wait 1st o!
these 49 lecturers issues still dey ground?? I am of the opinion ASUU is not being sincere here!why is it that each time they have a score to settle, they bring this matter to the fore? Besides,who says these lecturers cannot seek employment else where?? or even in private universities?? I even hear that Government offered to accept them back but on the ground that they will be redeployed to other universities in the country, 4 where??ASUU no gree oh!

These Unions generally are becoming a problem to us in Nigeria rather than a blessing as it is supposed to be! I think the Obasanjo approach is what Yaradua should adopt. SNOB THEM!!! at least it worked for baba!
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by uche1(m): 1:51pm On Feb 05, 2008
Though, i really appreciate the man Yaradua, but i think he is taking to the steps of our IGBO PRINCE(obasanjo). Let Yaradua leave the prince alone and let the prince also leave him alone cos we Nigerian Students, we are tired of this ASUU strike. FG face the true dialogue and listen to the voice of the people.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by dee02(m): 2:56pm On Feb 05, 2008
am i bothered?! grin
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by pahtahkee: 3:04pm On Feb 05, 2008
This same issue again? 49 lecturers from Uniilorin, while Uniilorin is not even bothered about the strike on its own.

For over 6years this issue has been dancing its way into the educational sector, paralysing whatever bits we still hold credible about the Nigerian tertiary education.

This is a shame.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by ade4prof: 3:50pm On Feb 05, 2008
The Nigeria Universities is Full of Controversal Circumstancies and other, The ASUU is Fighting a transperence Fight
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by fatherab1: 3:51pm On Feb 05, 2008
THIS VEXING SITUATION IS ON BOTH SIDES. FIRST, WHAT WILL IT COST THE PRESIDENT IN ASO ROCK TO RE-EMPLOY THOSE PROFESSORS & DOCTORS BACK INTO THE SAME UNILORIN? WILL IT COST HIM HIS EYE BALL? SECONDLY, WHAT WILL IT COST THOSE LECTURERS TO SEEK FOR BETTER JOBS SOMEWHERE ELSE? ARE THEY TELLING US THAT THEY HAVE BEEN JOBLESS SINCE METHUSELAH? GOD HELP OUR STUDENTS!
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by Tucom: 4:58pm On Feb 05, 2008
Those lecturers don chop their own cake, make them go. There are many young graduates seeking for jobs for years, they should be employed. Let there be new breeds in the system to make a change. Must those lecturers be there forever?
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by ashaby(f): 5:42pm On Feb 05, 2008
No wonder all states schools are drastically increasing their fees. Only God will help us!!!
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by texazzpete(m): 5:47pm On Feb 05, 2008
father ab:

SECONDLY, WHAT WILL IT COST THOSE LECTURERS TO SEEK FOR BETTER JOBS SOMEWHERE ELSE? ARE THEY TELLING US THAT THEY HAVE BEEN JOBLESS SINCE METHUSELAH? GOD HELP OUR STUDENTS!

YaY! Let's all make stupid statements like

What will it cost all the millions of jobless Nigerian graduates to find a good job somewhere else.

Idiot.

@all
You woldn't be Nigerians if you weren't so eager to compromise your principles. these 49 lecturers were victimized because they stood by ASUU when a strike was called to ultimtely better the lot of the Nigerian educational sector. Yet all you caqn advocate is ASUU abandon them when they are jobless abi?

Successive Nigerian governments bank on this silly stance to have their way. We need to redirect our priorities.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by md4real(m): 6:08pm On Feb 05, 2008
ajulijuli:

ASUU Strike Again!

Nawa for this country o. Come February 11, ASUU is threatening war with the federal government over the 49 sacked lecturers. Let us beg Umaru to stop playing ASUU.
bros, i beg na were you get this gist from? my school just dey come back from internal strike,
na him ASSU wan do another one? wetin na.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by tilewill(m): 9:00pm On Feb 05, 2008
@seun
you talked about a case for more private univers,, have we ever considered our low class

teeming population, how many of our people can afford the fee all these private schl

operators are stand to get from one student? l think we're at a stage all these our

so called leaders should ponder to their way of selfishness and one-man-eat-all problems.

haven't they seen enough? everyday, these people travel everywhere, they see the way

schools, students, the techers are cared for, yet, we're stagnant; waiting for who to fix it ?

real sad for treating to our generation this way! is it because they have all

their own children here in the western world? with this shameful act, they think the're right,

forgeting that nobody judges himself right, but God, who's ready to reward accordingly.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by baibeh(m): 9:12pm On Feb 05, 2008
ASUU beta talk wetin the dey go strike for. i don tire to hear of these 49 lecturers. and the place wey dem sack dem from (uniilorin) no dey go strike.it is a bit queer don't u think?
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by Epiphany(m): 10:05pm On Feb 05, 2008
tilewill:

@seun
you talked about a case for more private univers,, have we ever considered our low class

teeming population, how many of our people can afford the fee all these private schl

operators are stand to get from one student? l think we're at a stage all these our

so called leaders should ponder to their way of selfishness and one-man-eat-all problems.

haven't they seen enough? everyday, these people travel everywhere, they see the way

schools, students, the techers are cared for, yet, we're stagnant; waiting for who to fix it ?

real sad for treating to our generation this way! is it because they have all

their own children here in the western world? with this shameful act, they think the're right,

forgeting that nobody judges himself right, but God, who's ready to reward accordingly.

Correct man! Na im me sef dey think. Private schools ARE NOT THE ANSWER AT ALL!

Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by tommyex(m): 11:26pm On Feb 05, 2008
The whole country needs help,The only sector of the country that is doing well is the Political sector(at least they r chopping money for their generations)

We need sincere leaders and I hope Yaradua stands up to this test.I tot they had even settled the lecturers Now all unis will pay d price again?
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by Seun(m): 10:54am On Feb 06, 2008
Private secondary schools used to be expensive, but now you have many cheap ones as well as expensive ones. In the same way, private universities don't have to be so expensive. Private schools are only expensive because demand exceeds supply

If the industry is fully liberalized, we will have expensive ones for the rich, affordable ones for the common man. In addition, there will be scholarships for the brilliant and student loans for promising JAMBites.

Even if private schools are expensive, by the time there are enough private schools for those who can afford them, there will be[b] much more space in public schools[/b] for those who can't afford private schools. It's a win-win-win-win strategy i.e. common sense.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by Damest09(f): 11:41am On Feb 06, 2008
-
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by gold4u(f): 12:41pm On Feb 06, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: father ab on Yesterday at 03:51:08 PM
SECONDLY, WHAT WILL IT COST THOSE LECTURERS TO SEEK FOR BETTER JOBS SOMEWHERE ELSE? ARE THEY TELLING US THAT THEY HAVE BEEN JOBLESS SINCE METHUSELAH? GOD HELP OUR STUDENTS!

YaY! Let's all make stupid statements like

What will it cost all the millions of jobless Nigerian graduates to find a good job somewhere else.

Idiot.

@all
You woldn't be Nigerians if you weren't so eager to compromise your principles. these 49 lecturers were victimized because they stood by ASUU when a strike was called to ultimtely better the lot of the Nigerian educational sector. Yet all you caqn advocate is ASUU abandon them when they are jobless abi?

Successive Nigerian governments bank on this silly stance to have their way. We need to redirect our priorities.

i agree with you @ texazzpete
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by fatherab1: 1:14pm On Feb 06, 2008
Gold4u, who offended u? why not go ahead 2 make ur own views known instead of saying people are idiots or stupid? I dont retaliate and I dont abuse. I cant change dat principle because of u who can never be relevant 2 my destiny. Its time people like u solve ur anger problems b4 u come 2 nairaland .

cheesy cheesy surprisingly ur signature says u love CONTRADICTIONS
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by Dividends(m): 6:51pm On Feb 06, 2008
ASUU has a case, and I enjoin them to fight all the way. The Nigerian federal government has failed in its duty to adequately cater to the needs of this section of the populace.
Sadly at a time when other countries are investing heavily in research and education, we seem to be perpertually at loggerheads with the bearers of light.
Because most of us have for a large chunk of our lives been exposed to situations where people silently endure the daylight robbery of their fundamental rights, we see those genuinely standing up for their rights as "queer".
Social justice is never given but taken, and ASUU must rise up and demand for what justly belongs to its members.

ON Yar'Adua: Although it may seem that our docile president is playing politics by saying he would wait for the Supreme court to speak on the Unilorin 49 issue, it is still the right thing to do. Let the law run its full course.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by aronyke: 7:14pm On Feb 06, 2008
i support dat o.y should govt be posting this guyz all d time.tis unfair now
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by tilewill(m): 9:28pm On Feb 06, 2008
@seun

Your strategies are quite understanding and educating too. But, does our country educational system have really

gotten to that? l believe things wouldn't have been so bad to this extent had those involved were passionate

enough, we have all it takes to maintain our public schools including the teachers to the standard. no good

labs , even some walls are ancient egptian stuffs! l was having discussion with a Carrbn frd few days ago and he

sundenly asked, "why is it that you Nigerians go everywhere, do you guys just love exploring or what?" at first, l didn't

know what the guy was driving at, untill he said ''because you have virtually everything that 'd make you comfortable

back home" hnmm, l just smiled and eventually to bailed myseif out. yeah, why wouldn't nigerians flood everywhere?

the simple fact is because Nigerians deserve more respect and care from those that are concerned.

A lot is damaged, Seun, May the good Lord help us.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by tilewill(m): 9:36pm On Feb 06, 2008
@seun

Your strategies are quite understanding and educating too. But, does our country educational system have really

gotten to that? l believe things wouldn't have been so bad to this extent had those involved were passionate

enough,  we have all it takes to maintain our public schools including the teachers to the standard. no good

labs , even some walls are ancient egptian stuffs! l was having  discussion with  a Carrbn frd few days ago and he

sundenly asked, "why is it that you Nigerians go everywhere, do you guys just love exploring or what?" at first, l didn't

know what the guy was driving at, untill he said ''because you have virtually everything that 'd make you comfortable

back home" hnmm,  l just smiled and eventually  bailed myseif out.  yeah, why wouldn't nigerians flood everywhere?

the simple fact is because Nigerians deserve more respect and  care from those that are concerned.

A lot is damaged, Seun,  May the good Lord help us.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by tokunbobo(m): 9:44am On Feb 08, 2008
@Seun
You cant compare private secondary schools with private universities. Even your so called different secondary schools cannot be afforded by many Nigerians not to talk of private universities. The need for private universities is not the issue now. Reinstating the 49 sacked lecturers of Unilorin is what we are agitating for. Afterall it will cost our government nothing to do that. Let the government do it once and for all. Imagine this issue since 6 years ago and I can assure you that if the issue is not handled now, next year ASUU will still come up with their strike wahala.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by otokx(m): 12:37pm On Feb 08, 2008
Government should reinstate the 49 lecturers immediately as they had promised to do to avert another round of wahala.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by Boomsy: 2:39pm On Feb 08, 2008
Help us beg Umaru to stop the strike ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we no won die inside school.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by bawomol(m): 2:59pm On Feb 08, 2008
unions in nigeria should be fragmented. in the US, each university usually have their own separate union. paralyzing the whole academic system of a country because of the actions of one school is ludacris.
Re: ASUU To Strike Again? by temiwumi: 12:36pm On Feb 11, 2008
First if i may ask what is their reason this time? As much as i'm glad that i just escaped from them after spending 5years doing a 4year course, i'm sad for the coming generation. The last time they did it it was 4months and for how long will this continue? If they can't fight once and for all, then they should just forget it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Check All Bank Accounts Linked To a BVN / This Is The Most Useless Book In The World. / Uniport's Certificate Form Now On Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.