Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,804 members, 7,802,567 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? (6763 Views)

The Hametic Myth/are Blacks Cursed As Stated In The Bible? / Why Are Blacks Heading Most Of US Agencies? / World Wide Conspiracy By Whites To Destroy The Black Race? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 7:34am On Nov 17, 2012
I couldn’t stay up to watch the re-election of President Barak Obama.Much as I wanted to, I knew from my racing heartbeat, that it wasn’tthe wisest thing to do.

The last debate I watched, I had spent more time watching the voter’s reaction to the comments instead of enjoying the quality of thedebate. I knew then that I was, contrary to my profession, more involved than I needed to be. During the day, I had spent time getting in touch with my friends in the US and the UK. All, and I mean all, wanted Obama to win.

By 5.30am, I was roused from my sleep by ecstatic calls, telling me Obama had won. The relief that flowed through me was so strong that I wondered why. Obama in the final analysis, is an American who will always put American interests ahead of any other interest including that of Kenya, his ancestral home. His last four years neither benefited me nor my country.There are no indications that the next four will. So why am I so involved? I tried to tell myself that his policies were better and more inclusive; and that Mitt Romney was too shifty. But so what? Its still an American election.

After all, Al Gore was to me, a better candidate than George Bush. But I lost no sleep over his loss. I also felt that the dour Scot, Gordon Brown, was a better man tolead Britain out of its recession than the glib, handsome and empty David Cameron. America suffered economically, and in global perception, for its choice just as Britainis suffering economically for the decision to pick Cameron.For me, a bystander, nothing spoil. So why am I so passionate about this American election? Could it have something to do with the colour of Obama’s skin?

Later that Wednesday, I had a meeting with some veteran journalists. Those who had stayed up for the re-election, were bleary eyed from lack of sleep. But they all had this feel-good thing and they all expressed joy at the outcome of the election. Some were so passionate that I again wondered if itwould translate to anything positive for Nigeria. These were veterans who had been trained to be objective, even cynical sometimes. Yet, they couldn’t see anything wrong with Obama or anything right with Romney for that matter. And I thought, uneasily, if we were all routing for something other than the content of the head here.

Later, when the demographic analysis cameon CNN, it was discovered that over 90% blacks and over 75%Hispanics voted for Obama. Now, that is block voting. And all of us who are delirious, should ask ourselves if Obama would have won if the whites who constituted over 70% of the eligible voters, had block voted too. Our hero, reverend Luther King, admonished us to look at the content of the head (heart) and not the colour of the skin. Is that what we have done? Is that what we do? How many of us have turned on our TV sets to find a white guy and a black guy fight in a boxing contest and instinctively want the black guy to win? Same thing in a tennis tournament. These are not things to be proud of in the twenty-first century.

We must be honest and admit that, of recent, the whites have been more welcoming of content and more tolerant of colour than we have been. Britain has been so tolerant of different cultures that its own culture has been down played.

13 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Clemzy16(m): 8:15am On Nov 17, 2012
Wizendy: I couldn’t stay up to watch the re-election of President Barak Obama.Much as I wanted to, I knew from my racing heartbeat, that it wasn’tthe wisest thing to do.
The last debate I watched, I had spent more time watching the voter’s reaction to the comments instead of enjoying the quality of thedebate. I knew then that I was, contrary to my profession, more involved than I needed to be. During the day, I had spent time getting in touch with my friends in the US and the UK. All, and I mean all, wanted Obama to win.
By 5.30am, I was roused from my sleep by ecstatic calls, telling me Obama had won. The relief that flowed through me was so strong that I wondered why. Obama in the final analysis, is an American who will always put American interests ahead of any other interest [s]including that of Kenya, his ancestral home.[/s] His last four years neither benefited me nor my country.There are no indications that the next four will. So why am I so involved? I tried to tell myself that his policies were better and more inclusive; and that Mitt Romney was too shifty. But so what? Its still an American election.
After all, Al Gore was to me, a better candidate than George Bush. But I lost no sleep over his loss. I also felt that the dour Scot, Gordon Brown, was a better man tolead Britain out of its recession than the glib, handsome and empty David Cameron. America suffered economically, and in global perception, for its choice just as Britainis suffering economically for the decision to pick Cameron.For me, a bystander, nothing spoil. So why am I so passionate about this American election? Could it have something to do with the colour of Obama’s skin?
Later that Wednesday, I had a meeting with some veteran journalists. Those who had stayed up for the re-election, were bleary eyed from lack of sleep. But they all had this feel-good thing and they all expressed joy at the outcome of the election. Some were so passionate that I again wondered if itwould translate to anything positive for Nigeria. These were veterans who had been trained to be objective, even cynical sometimes. Yet, they couldn’t see anything wrong with Obama or anything right with Romney for that matter. And I thought, uneasily, if we were all routing for something other than the content of the head here.
Later, when the demographic analysis cameon CNN, it was discovered that over 90% blacks and over 75%Hispanics voted for Obama. Now, that is block voting. And all of us who aredelirious, should ask ourselves if Obama would have won if the whites who constituted over 70% of the eligible voters, had block voted too. Our hero, reverend Luther King, admonished us to look at the content of the head (heart) and not the colour of the skin. Is that what we have done? Is that what we do? How many of us have turned on our TV sets to find a white guy and a black guy fight in a boxing contest and instinctively want the black guy to win? Same thing in a tennis tournament. These are not things to be proud of in the twenty-first century.
We must be honest and admit that, ofrecent, the whites have been more welcoming of content and more tolerant of colour than we have been. Britain has been so tolerant of different cultures that its own culture has been down played.
No doubt America is the most powerful nation on planet earth. Obama might be the president of all americans but in-one-way-or-another he tends to control the affairs of other nations including Nigeria.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 17, 2012
Hmmm....so ur indirectly sayin,, obama won out of racism??
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Agiliti(m): 9:27am On Nov 17, 2012
it's not a white or black thing, it's an underdog thing... the way some black people feel about obama or tiger woods, or any other black guy dominating a typically white field is the same way some whites feel about eminem, larry bird, or any other "great white hope" who dominated a black field....even people were rooting for jonathan simply because he was a minority

12 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 17, 2012
Psychological, blacks feel insecure.

1 Like

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Mavrick2012: 9:49am On Nov 17, 2012
jammyng: Psychological, blacks feel insecure.
EXACTLY,and dis has unconciously made us racist.dis insecurity(cum inferiority complex)is wat makes black football players react/see their white players.TOO BAD
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by solomonkane(m): 9:49am On Nov 17, 2012
Clemzy16: No doubt America is the most powerful nation on planet earth. Obama might be the president of all americans but in-one-way-or-another he tends to control the affairs of other nations including Nigeria.

Wrong, very wrong. Nobody wields that kind of power unless you allow them to. Are you saying Obama controls Chinese or Russian policies?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 17, 2012
STUP-ID QUESTION. WHITES INVENTED RACISM. HOW CAN YOU BE BETTER AT SOMETHING THAN THE CREATORS OF IT ?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by unphilaz(m): 10:01am On Nov 17, 2012
Wizendy: I couldn’t stay up to watch the re-election of President Barak Obama.Much as I wanted to, I knew from my racing heartbeat, that it wasn’tthe wisest thing to do.

By 5.30am, I was roused from my sleep by ecstatic calls, telling me Obama had won. The relief that flowed through me was so strong that I wondered why. Obama in the final analysis, is an American who will always put American interests ahead of any other interest including that of Kenya, his ancestral home. His last four years neither benefited me nor my country.There are no indications that the next four will. So why am I so involved? I tried to tell myself that his policies were better and more inclusive; and that Mitt Romney was too shifty. But so what? Its still an American election.

Later, when the demographic analysis cameon CNN, it was discovered that over 90% blacks and over 75%Hispanics voted for Obama. Now, that is block voting. And all of us who are delirious, should ask ourselves if Obama would have won if the whites who constituted over 70% of the eligible voters, had block voted too. Our hero, reverend Luther King, admonished us to look at the content of the head (heart) and not the colour of the skin. Is that what we have done? Is that what we do? How many of us have turned on our TV sets to find a white guy and a black guy fight in a boxing contest and instinctively want the black guy to win? Same thing in a tennis tournament. These are not things to be proud of in the twenty-first century.

We must be honest and admit that, of recent, the whites have been more welcoming of content and more tolerant of colour than we have been. Britain has been so tolerant of different cultures that its own culture has been down played.

of the bolded, am guilty, because any country that has no black playing in thier football team, i dont support. for example, am more of a chelsea fan than Manu becos of this mindset, that the number of blacks fielded in the chelsea team. grin grin grin
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 17, 2012
deejay_harry1: Hmmm....so ur indirectly sayin,, obama won out of racism??
and basically it shows that most white people voted for romney,racism also??

4 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by guccimilan(m): 10:09am On Nov 17, 2012
I would want to suggest that its a thing of joy to see a good thing come out of the black race and a unique one for that matter after many decades of lookdown by the whites . To me its more than color , its an encouragement and an inspiration that you can do all things if you believe and its just like you seeing ur own been honored .

3 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 17, 2012
its a 2 way thing,most white people voted for romney,so what does that say?
last time i checked,obama is not hispanicand most hispanics voted for him and pls do not say anything about blacks and hispanics being on the same boat cosi can tell u that a lot of hispanics dont like black people

2 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Clemzy16(m): 10:13am On Nov 17, 2012
solomonkane:

Wrong, very wrong. Nobody wields that kind of power unless you allow them to. Are you saying Obama controls Chinese or Russian policies?
I'm not necessarily saying america controls the politics of other nations. What i'm saying is that america has a wider-say in policies that affects the world at large. For example, America threatens to punish any country that fails to sign gay right. They even threatens to restrict Nigeria from foreign organisation like world bank etc.. since we signed the anti-gay bill.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 17, 2012
guccimilan: I would want to suggest that its a thing of joy to see a good thing come out of the black race and a unique one for that matter after many decades of lookdown by the whites . To me its more than color , its an encouragement and an inspiration that you can do all things if you believe and its just like you seeing ur own been honored .
its Nigerians refusing to see the outcome of the election for what it was
people discovered that the other word for a flip flopper is LIAR and would rather vote for a man who has a certain set views than one who does not even know if he needs to have views

2 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by esere826: 10:18am On Nov 17, 2012
IMO We are all fixated on color because it makes us look strikingly different physically

Whereas, darker folks generally tend to appreciate/admire the lighter skin tone
The lighter folks generally tend to look down on those with the darker skin tones
(albinism seems to be an exception to this general rule)

Some blacks are learning that they are generally being dispised for something as simple as skin colour
and actually being pushed (together with their kids) to become 2nd class individuals
so they root for anything black to counteract this negative effect

I am not crazy about Obama, but I appreciate the subliminal psychological role he plays
in giving the darker tone groups some confidence and also minimizing their stereotyping by the lighter group

Just as I am not crazy about GEJ, but also appreciate his pychological impact
on both the major and smaller Nigerian ethnic groups that might never have considered a minority fit to rule

They're not worse than those before them

3 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by BarryX(m): 10:25am On Nov 17, 2012
I strongly think I rooted for Obama this tenure Ŋ¤τ̲̅ because he ȋ̝̊̅‎​ƨ̣̇ black, I might be guilty of the "racist" sentiments in 2008 but actually because his policies as it relates †̥ tax cuts A̶̲̥̅̊η∂ re-emerging middle class could raise the bar in the economic boom W̶̲̥̅ﻉ so much desire A̶̲̥̅̊η∂ also these are more jobs popping up. Besides the true confession of M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ strong religious intolerance for MORMONS.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 17, 2012

MANY people in mainly white societies are obsessed with Obama too. For different reasons!

1. Obama made the world a bit more peaceful. As the USA is still a world power, the whole world is affected by the presidential election. Obama is rather peaceful. Europeans appreciate his foreign policies and his rhetorics on foreign relations.

2. Many Europeans consider it a milestone in the human history that FINALLY a black man has become the president of a country that has a racist history including slavery. They consider it a valuable progress to the human kind even though they themselves are white.

Bottom line: It's important to SOME black people that America EVENTUALLY has a black president becaus they're black. It is about color. For some white people it is about color as well. They are happy racism is losing the game. However, some black and white people do not reduce it to color only but consider other aspeccts as well.

1 Like

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 10:36am On Nov 17, 2012
jammyng: Psychological, blacks feel insecure.

And biologically, sociologically and even physically, whites feel insecure. The insecurity that have led 17 states in the US to want to secede from the great US of A because Obama won. Race is a very big issue in this dispensation. Majority of white folks were expecting Romney to win fair and square, judging by the population of whites, but no, he didn't. 95% of blacks, 73% of Latinos, 65% of other races, and finally just 35% of whites voted for Obama. On a normal day, the 65% of those whites who opted to vote for Romney would have been enough to win the election.

I believe black people are not insecure, but awake, awake to the fact that white folks controls everything; from politics to anything life-changing. And black people are cornered and trapped with less choices: you either follow the white man rule or remain poor. To the AA, you either act white or start singing or selling drugs. To the Africans, you either follow our set of rules or we'll stop all the aids coming to Africa.

Blacks are more accommodating than any other race combined. The white folks now sees us as threat, threat to their inheritance, threat to their once dominance historically chairmanship and more importantly, threat of overtaking them as people.

9 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 17, 2012
paris10:

And biologically, sociologically and even physically, whites feel insecure. The insecurity that have led 17 states in the US to want to secede from the great US of A because Obama won. Race is a very big issue in this dispensation. Majority of white folks were expecting Romney to win fair and square, judging by the population of whites, but no, he didn't. 95% of blacks, 73% of Latinos, 65% of other races, and finally just 35% of whites voted for Obama. On a normal day, the 65% of those whites who opted to vote for Romney would have been enough to win the election.

I believe black people are not insecure, but awake, awake to the fact that white folks controls everything; from politics to anything life-changing. And black people are cornered and trapped with less choices: you either follow the white man rule or remain poor. To the AA, you either act white or start singing or selling drugs. To the Africans, you either follow our set of rules or we'll stop all the aids coming to Africa.

Blacks are more accommodating than any other race combined. The white folks now sees us as threat, threat to their inheritance, threat to their once dominance historically chairmanship and more importantly, threat of overtaking them as people.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 17, 2012
paris10:

Go to Europe and interview WHITE people. Majority of them, example France, wanted Obama to win.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by true2god: 10:53am On Nov 17, 2012
SmoothLIFE: Ghanaian RULE is the only hope for Blacks!! Only Ghanaian RULE can SAVE West Africa!
If u dnt hav any contribution to make pls keep quiet. This topic seems beyond ur ability to make a sensible contribtion, pls sit down and read while others contribute. Enjoy ur weekend.

2 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Topeedo: 11:18am On Nov 17, 2012
Clemzy16: No doubt America is the most powerful nation on planet earth. Obama might be the president of all americans but in-one-way-or-another he tends to control the affairs of other nations including Nigeria.
CAN YOU STATE OUT CLEARLY HOW OBAMA CONTROL D AFFAIRS OF NIGERIA?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Afam4eva(m): 11:25am On Nov 17, 2012
Agiliti: it's not a white or black thing, it's an underdog thing... the way some black people feel about obama or tiger woods, or any other black guy dominating a typically white field is the same way some whites feel about eminem, larry bird, or any other "great white hope" who dominated a black field....even people were rooting for jonathan simply because he was a minority
You have a point there.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 11:27am On Nov 17, 2012
Wizendy

The above statement is a farce and only seems true. UK hasn't been more racist than what is being witnessed currently. Have you managed to ask folks who work in institutions like banks and any other govt agencies about what has been their experience in relation to the color of the skin? Or are you easily swayed or bought over by the mere saying that "Britain is the most tolerant nation ever"?

The question that comes to mind would be, who are they tolerating? Goats or monkeys? Who is more tolerant, Nigeria or Britain? A Benin gold statue (worth £millions) belonging to the people of Edo state was recently found in the British Museum, and all attempt to recover it back by the Oba of Benin has been blocked by the British govt. The statue was stolen by the white folks, likewise many other treasures amounting to £billions.

The recent London riot tagged black people as bad, whereas, the main reason why the riot started in the first place was totally ignored. The British police killed an innocent black man (even though he had a record with them, he was unarmed and innocent when killed). The Stephen Lawrence case was another high profile one involving race. Lawrence was killed and police covered the killers up. They would rather see a black man killed than a white man go to jail. Have you heard about the Zermmerman case in US? Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin, case not yet decided. Read more on the case from google.

Are you still here? David Cameron new immigration legislation on bounty is institutionally racist. His cuts on school childrens £30 EMA was also seen as that, because this tends to affect minorities the most. David is cutting everything benefits for the less able; the idea that white folks have other means to survive.

And regarding job: the equal opportunity act is a myth and actually does the opposite. There is no equal opportunity anywhere. If you tick where it says your background, race or ethnicity, or even age, then brace yourself for the harsh reality of life. White people are considered first, followed by EU candidate, then Indians, Pakistans, others before people of African heritage. My advise, do not fill that section, it is optional.

The fact that these people laugh with you, smile when they see you or even welcome you doesn't mean they like you; they hate your gut!

4 Likes

Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 11:32am On Nov 17, 2012
carefreewannabe:

Go to Europe and interview WHITE people. Majority of them, example France, wanted Obama to win.

No one is disputing that with you. They wanted Obama to win because they aren't Americans. Obama foreign policy tends to favor them than that of Romney.
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Claus(m): 11:39am On Nov 17, 2012
It's not all down to race.

I'm not sure about Hispanics, but black voting for the Democrats has hovered around the 90% mark for decades!
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 17, 2012
paris10:

No one is disputing that with you. They wanted Obama to win because they aren't Americans. Obama foreign policy tends to favor them than that of Romney.

so it were the foreign policies that mattered rather than his "threatening" black color, right?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 17, 2012
paris10: Wizendy

The above statement is a farce and only seems true. UK hasn't been more racist than what is being witnessed currently. Have you managed to ask folks who work in institutions like banks and any other govt agencies about what has been their experience in relation to the color of the skin? Or are you easily swayed or bought over by the mere saying that "Britain is the most tolerant nation ever"?

The question that comes to mind would be, who are they tolerating? Goats or monkeys? Who is more tolerant, Nigeria or Britain? A Benin gold statue (worth £millions) belonging to the people of Edo state was recently found in the British Museum, and all attempt to recover it back by the Oba of Benin has been blocked by the British govt. The statue was stolen by the white folks, likewise many other treasures amounting to £billions.

The recent London riot tagged black people as bad, whereas, the main reason why the riot started in the first place was totally ignored. The British police killed an innocent black man (even though he had a record with them, he was unarmed and innocent when killed). The Stephen Lawrence case was another high profile one involving race. Lawrence was killed and police covered the killers up. They would rather see a black man killed than a white man go to jail. Have you heard about the Zermmerman case in US? Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin, case not yet decided. Read more on the case from google.

Are you still here? David Cameron new immigration legislation on bounty is institutionally racist. His cuts on school childrens £30 EMA was also seen as that, because this tends to affect minorities the most. David is cutting everything benefits for the less able; the idea that white folks have other means to survive.

And regarding job: the equal opportunity act is a myth and actually does the opposite. There is no equal opportunity anywhere. If you tick where it says your background, race or ethnicity, or even age, then brace yourself for the harsh reality of life. White people are considered first, followed by EU candidate, then Indians, Pakistans, others before people of African heritage. My advise, do not fill that section, it is optional.

The fact that these people laugh with you, smile when they see you or even welcome you doesn't mean they like you; they hate your gut!

Who is "they" EXACTLY?
Re: Are Blacks More Fixated On Colour Than Whites? by paris10: 11:58am On Nov 17, 2012
Claus: It's not all down to race.

I'm not sure about Hispanics, but black voting for the Democrats has hovered around the 90% mark for decades!

Yes, it's not all down to race for the majority of black people who voted for Obama, majority of them are democrats anyway. But I most draw your attention to the fact that in-as-much as Bush messed up the economy, no single white man or state stood up and demanded to secede from the United states.
But because Obama won again (who to be fair, he has done much more than the 8 years of Bush's administration), all of a sudden, they all want a separate federation.

Ask Obama himself! The handicap he has to overcome; the hatred, cynicism, hypocrisy of the democracy being practiced against him in the Capitol building. He would tell you it's not been easy. The color of his skin has played a major role in his inability to have several bills passed.

Not all white folks are bias, but most are. You don't have to accept my assertion, but when it comes to people of color leading a major organization, you'll see the traces of prejudice written all over it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fascinating Photos Reveal Life In Iran And Afghanistan In The 70s. / Larry C. Johnson: “the Ukrainian Army Has Been Defeated. What’s Left Is Mop-up” / South Sudan Has Become The World's Newest Nation!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.