Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? (10164 Views)

What's It That Your Parents Taught You That You Will Not Teach Your Children? / 9 Important Lessons A Father Should Teach His Daughter / What Has Marriage Taught You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 9:09am On Nov 19, 2012
Dad>>one third of the people you meet today will hate you no matter what, one third will love you and there is nothing you can do about it. That means that one third of the people you meet today will watch you, listen to you and give you a chance before they make up their mind. The best thing you can do is be the kind of person you would like because when it comes right down to it, you are the one you need to please

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by k2039: 9:47am On Nov 19, 2012
~vicky~:
Dad>>one third of the people you meet today will hate you no matter what, one third will love you and there is nothing you can do about it. That means that one third of the people you meet today will watch you, listen to you and give you a chance before they make up their mind. The best thing you can do is be the kind of person you would like because when it comes right down to it, you are the one you need to please

I guess dad is extremely good with using figures
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Mynd44: 9:52am On Nov 19, 2012
k2039:

I am thinking accountant or economist
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 19, 2012
k2039:

Yes
an accountant @ Mynd
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Mynd44: 10:01am On Nov 19, 2012
~vicky~:

Yes
an accountant @ Mynd
I am psychic
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 10:09am On Nov 19, 2012
^^ maybe
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Mynd44: 10:42am On Nov 19, 2012
~vicky~:
^^ maybe
admit it
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 19, 2012
Mynd_44:
This falls back on maturity of your friends. If your friends are matured enough, they will realise that you have their interest but if they are immature, they will start telling that partner all you said and did in which case I will rather have that friend and partner go

But you know how some girls can remain with a guy who is obviously so wrong for her because a silly word called "love". Even if you slam them with the negatives of their partner they will remain.
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Mynd44: 5:40pm On Nov 19, 2012
SniperInADiaper:

But you know how some girls can remain with a guy who is obviously so wrong for her because a silly word called "love". Even if you slam them with the negatives of their partner they will remain.
If you have told that friend of yours the truth, what is left is to sit back and laugh na
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by dilbert100: 10:58am On Dec 12, 2012
lots of things.....respect being the most important

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by safarigirl(f): 11:06am On Dec 12, 2012
Mum taught me to always stand for what I beleive in and never get intimidated. My dad taught me that life is what you make of it and the choices you make will live with you forever. He also taught me to be my own boss and of course to always think out of the box.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Desoda: 11:07am On Dec 12, 2012
From my dad i learnt not to be a womanizer. I'll never forget when my mother shouted at me saying "see as you just chuckin money for pocket like say na human being. Na money dem take dey find money o!". She also said "its much more easier for a friend to bring you down than for an enemy to bring you down"

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by safarigirl(f): 11:08am On Dec 12, 2012
Mum taught me to always stand for what I beleive in and never get intimidated. My dad taught me that life is what you make of it and the choices you make will live with you forever. He also taught me to be my own boss and of course to always think out of the box. Both taught me to respect my elders and always greet, even strangers, you never know, the man you only greeted one time may be your saviour some day.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Rapmoney(m): 11:09am On Dec 12, 2012
My dad taught me how to be focused and not to be distracted by anybody.
I still remember him saying: 'A man with a destinition does not shake hands with everybody he sees on the road'. Today, my life is better off, because i cannot dedicate my time to dream-killers and people who waste time doing nothing!

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by omiobo: 11:12am On Dec 12, 2012
My mum taught me that if i want to be successful in life,i must not smoke,drink alcohol and fornicate. It's working for me.
Dad:If not that i'm getting married,i wont have known where he stays after 20yrs. I learn nothing from him.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by naijateamhost: 11:16am On Dec 12, 2012
Woow..MTN,ETISALAT AND GLO 1GB CHEAT IS OUT @ CHEAP RATE OF #500 CALL ME TO GET IT 0 7 0 8 9 0 4 1 0 1 1 , Note This is no Scam watchout.Woow..MTN,ETISALAT AND GLO 1GB CHEAT IS OUT @ CHEAP RATE OF #500 CALL ME TO GET IT 0 7 0 8 9 0 4 1 0 1 1 , Note This is no Scam watchout.Woow..MTN,ETISALAT AND GLO 1GB CHEAT IS OUT @ CHEAP RATE OF #500 CALL ME TO GET IT 0 7 0 8 9 0 4 1 0 1 1 , Note This is no Scam watchout.
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Topewealth: 11:26am On Dec 12, 2012
Hmmmm!

My Dad taught me business nd how to investment my money!

Mum taught me how to prepare delicious meal !

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 12, 2012
Integrity and kindness to my neighbors. I have truly great parents

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by alphaconde(m): 11:32am On Dec 12, 2012
My parents taught meto keep secrets cus this is d best way to control your friends and enemies
They also taught me to live on my own. For instance I can stay with neigbours without seeking their help or borrowing or quarelling with them

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by pendusky(m): 11:49am On Dec 12, 2012
Mum taught me the Bible! From the book 'My book of bible stories' with the pix in it, it was very undastanding!

Mum taught me to be honest, humble and God fearing.

Dad taught me how to be patience, how to invest money and time! If he found out the time i spend here, am finished! grin

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by akdjr(m): 11:50am On Dec 12, 2012
don't take meat from the pot

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by hardbody: 11:52am On Dec 12, 2012
Never to promise a girl marriage and disappoint
Never refuse to pay for sex if i ever made a committment to it
Be sure my fist salary takes me through the whole month else I will continue borrowing ad infinitum
Always strive to be the best
Let your impact be felt wherever you find yourself
In friendship remember to make room for quarrels (keep some secrets as friends will invariably quarrel sometime)
In quarrels, remember to leave a chance for settlement (You never know when you might need that guy again)
The tiny fish that doesnt take care to be careful will never grow into a big fish

Honestly my folks taught me so much and they are still teaching me. Mom and Dad, see you guys soon this December.

2 Likes

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2012
Mum:"Neva eva insult a man,₪☺ matter wat he has done †☺ u.Express urself politely"
Think I heard dis sentence more than anything else while I was growing up.it makes a lot of sense nw tho.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2012
unlike evry oda DADS. My dad taught me aw to be a responsible father nd strive hard to suceed not short cut to success. Even dou he had so many connections to help me secure a job he wouldnt help. He wanted me to go out nd secure a job by mysef. He was der for me wen i needed him. While my mum was busy pursuin her career. She wud travel out for almost a years at times and com bak nd spend mayb mths den she wud go bak again. She left me wen i was just a year plus nd traveled out. It was my dad nd family dat was taking care of my older siblings nd i, i got to kno my mum wen i was six wen she came bak from spain. She bot somany tinz for us bt was not enof to buy d luv we had for our dad. She went bak again nd spent almost 2 years b4 she came bal. It went on like dat until i was 17 b4 she came to stay. Aldou she is tryin to make it up to us bt shes got to put more effort sha cos my dad tried for us. My dad is d best.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Toppiano(m): 12:31pm On Dec 12, 2012
I learnt to be independent and be self-reliant...till today, am a one man battalion, am one man mopol, one man crowd. Highly self confident and there is nothing impossible. whatever i can dream i can achieve

2 Likes

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Josephnice: 12:35pm On Dec 12, 2012
When i was an adolescent,I told my dad there is a need for me to reduce the alphabets of my surname so that ppl can pronounce it easily, he said to me you don't have to make it less complex in pronunciation but try and create a distinct personality, ppl will be sanctioned for not able to pronunce ur surname or rewarded on the other way round

2 Likes

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Antho4lyf(m): 12:55pm On Dec 12, 2012
Mine parents always taught me to courageous in all my doing MOM taught me to depend on God in all my doing. DAD be security concious be aigai and mind the frnds u follow.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by harlos: 12:59pm On Dec 12, 2012
Don't marry more than one wife.
Don't born more u can take care of.
Don't do more for an outsider then ur own family(the ones u create by urself).
Don't be stingy with ur family.
Don't treat one child than the other...and many more.

Lessons from my dad.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 12, 2012
T.

1 Like

Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Dec 12, 2012
Sorry for your loss. I know how that feels as I lost mine and miss him dearly...
Mynd_44:
And did I mention that yesterday marks a year that my dad passed on?
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Dec 12, 2012
Mynd_44:
keep wondering

Don't be sorry. Na you kill am?

Killed? undecided
Re: The Most Important Lessons Your Parents Taught You? by AleciaM(f): 1:17pm On Dec 12, 2012
MUM- She thought me a lot of things, will just share some. Every new month she send or place beside our bed side this note, I practically grew on these words.
*Have courage to be different from others
*Know that some people may not like the “new”, or rather, “real” you
*Surround yourselves with people who are supportive
*Alienate those who try to make you the person they want you to be
*Open up to the world and admit this is who you are, the good, the bad and the ugly
*Laugh at yourself
*Take criticisms in a stride
*Do not apologise for who you are
*Trust in your own judgement, you know best for yourself
*Love who you are
*Don’t let others tell you who you are
*Once you can look yourself in the mirror, and smile at the reflection, that’s when you know you are being who you are at the core.

DAD-My dad is a teacher. Not a teacher in the sense that he lectured me on life, nor did he spout profound words of worldly wisdom. He never wrote any books or taught in any universities. He was the teacher of the greatest kind because he taught me through his actions, by who he is. A simple man of his words.

Who my dad is, taught me important aspects of character, like being honest, sincere and caring. His life taught me things like working hard, working without complaint, Getting the job done.
He instilled in me a sense of enjoying simple things, like laughing at silly jokes. These things and many more my dad taught me all my life.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Merry Christmas & Compliments Of The Season / In Need Of Advice From Experienced Wives, Mothers, men Or Couples / The Purpose Of Child Lock In Cars And How To Activate It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.