Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States (15987 Views)

Can You Choose To Come To This Life As A Black Man Once Again.? / Do You Consider Romanians As White? / Slavery in the United States (1775-1865) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 4:31pm On Nov 18, 2012
Detroit Man Livid Because Government Classifies Him as “White”

Does the man in the picture look black to you? A lot of people might say “yes.” But this immigrant in Detroit has spent 30 years trying to get the government to see him for what he knows that he is: A black man.

Mostafa Hefny can’t, for some reason, get the US government to change his racial designation. He has even reached out to President Obama for assistance, and has been fighting on the issue since he arrived to the United States from Egypt. Thus far, the federal government has classified him as white.

“As a black man and as an African, I am proud of this heritage,” Hefny told the Detroit News. “My classification as a white man takes away my black pride, my black heritage and my strong black identity.”

Hefny was born in Egypt and says that when he arrived in the US, the interviewer from the government told him, “You are now white.” According to the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity, “a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa or the Middle East” is classified as “white.” This is confusing and sad for darker-skinned immigrants who come from these places.

Hefny says that he is Nubian, from the northern part of the Sudan. He says that he’s been denied promotions after demanding that he be recognized as a black man. He could not get a teaching position at Wayne State University because the job called for a minority.

“I have been awarded, inadvertently, the negative effects of being black such as racial profiling, stereotypes and disenfranchisement due to my Negroid features,” Hefny said. “However, the legal demand of my racial classification of ‘white’ prevents me from receiving benefits established for black people.”

Hefny is campaigning online to get his designation changed. The Association of Black Egyptian, Ethiopian, and Nubian Advocates has an online petition on his behalf. The petition thus far has only collected 30 signatures, but he’s got our vote.
Source

2 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 18, 2012
Please help correct this anomaly by signing Dr Hefny's petition: http://signon.org/sign/justice-for-an-indigenous

Petition Background
Dr. Mostafa Hefny, a naturalized American citizen, who is an indigenous Egyptian Nubian, has been subjected to forced assimilation and destruction of his culture and has been deprived of his integrity, cultural values, and ethnic identity, as a distinct person of the region of Nubia. For the past 25 years, he has suffered from the orchestrated process of the White Supremacist movement to erase the history and existence of the Nubian people in an effort to steal the credit and achievements of Nubia's ancient civilization. Currently, in the United States any Negroid person, who is indigenous to North Africa, is classified as White.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by dominique(f): 5:55pm On Nov 18, 2012
So it takes the government to decide what ethnicity you are. Thats wrong on so many levels. Even those of mixed race (like obama) should decide for themselves if they want if they want to be classified as white or black, talkless of someone with African origin and doesn't even look caucasian.

2 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:26pm On Nov 18, 2012
this is too funny! grin grin grin grin
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 6:39pm On Nov 18, 2012
This is anything but funny @PAGAN

Historical continuity of racial and ethnic data is important to many data users. Over time, however, there have been variations in how the Nation's principal population groups have been classified according to race and ethnicity; such differences have occurred even within data sets. In decennial censuses, for example, a question on race has been included since 1790. There have been many changes in the broad racial categories, the specific components of the categories, and whether data on ethnicity were collected. Asian Indians, for example, were counted as "Hindus" in censuses from 1920 to 1940, as "White" from 1950 to 1970, and as "Asians or Pacific Islanders" in 1980 and 1990

Have you signed the brother's petition yet? cool

Reporting race is also less consistent for multiple-race persons, Hispanics, the foreign born, and persons who do not read or speak English well. NCHS found Asians and American Indians are sometimes misreported as "White" on death certificates, and this causes an underestimation of death rates for these groups. Nevertheless, these data quality problems are not so severe as to make the data unusable for most purposes.

Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:46pm On Nov 18, 2012
who cares what america classifies pople as. first of all which country classifies based on race its usually by country. this americans are bloody racists.

+ we are not blacks. and this man is Nubian and he is brown skinned. most of all , he is NUBIAN , so what nonsense black pride is he talking about tongue

2 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Horus(m): 6:57pm On Nov 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XUPZokMb6A

I am Black and Egyptian, Not White

Mostafa Hefny has been fighting the US government for decades to be classified as black. The US erroneously classifies all Egyptians as white. Hefny has faced discrimination and ridicule for his quest to be classified as black. Yet he makes his case for the authentic blackness of ancient Egypt and challenges the historical falsehoods that have propagated since the 19th century.

3 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 7:08pm On Nov 18, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
who cares what america classifies pople as. first of all which country classifies based on race its usually by country. this americans are bloody racists.

+ we are not blacks. and this man is Nubian and he is brown skinned. most of all , he is[b] NUBIAN[/b], so what nonsense black pride is he talking about tongue

See, this is the problem I have always had with your particular brand of cultural Nationalism on these boards.
One minute you are to be found advocating for the rights of those you term 'ethnic' people; yet in the very next breadth you feel no compunction playing the game of semantics, by fostering labels drawn from your purview only on these very same 'ethnic'people,

When you are not championing an ethnocentric-based "racial purity" that keeps your so-called 'ethnic people' apart, you are lampooning others - like Dr Hefny - for the choices they make.

Question is; where do you really stand? What is your vision? What is your mission?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:54pm On Nov 18, 2012
eGuerrilla:

See, this is the problem I have always had with your particular brand of cultural Nationalism on these boards.
One minute you are to be found advocating for the rights of those you term 'ethnic' people; yet in the very next breadth you feel no compunction playing the game of semantics, by fostering labels drawn from your purview only on these very same 'ethnic'people,

When you are not championing an ethnocentric-based "racial purity" that keeps your so-called 'ethnic people' apart, you are lampooning others - like Dr Hefny - for the choices they make.

Question is; where do you really stand? What is your vision? What is your mission?

race / skin colour means nothing to me. it is the same as eye colour , hair colour, lip colour, nail colour, etc/ race is colonial mentality.

i stand with Tribal purity. even among full-blooded Hausa , you find some variations in skin tone , etc. it means nothing to us. skin colour can change over time, due to external pressures, temperature, selective breeding , etc.

however tribe/bloodline/ ethnic group will never change and will remain forever/

my Vision is for all tribes to maintain their ethnic and integral identity and purity. at the same time, all tribes around the world must be united. to me, a dark skinned Masaai tribesman is no different from a Malay-Dayak Tribesman from Borneo/Sumatra. i view all tribals and ethnic peoples on equal basis. apart from that, it so happens that all tribals and ethnics also tend to practice Paganism or are of individual Pagan heritage.

MY mission is to educate people on my views and to conduct my own work with regards to this. i also wish to draw a clear line between Africans and akatas. racism is not a part of us Africans. maybe it is a part of europeans/americans/akatas, but not in our mindset. you send oyinbo or Chinese to a remote African village and you see how warmly they will be treated and greeted without bias.

also it is not a question of his choice. at the end of the day, he is NUBIAN, not black. i am Hausa but i cant choose to cal myself Fulani just because we share the same land, etc. NO!
a donkey cant become a stallion even if it wants to. it will always remain a donkey.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by tpia1: 11:18pm On Nov 18, 2012
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by dejiyusuf: 9:50am On Nov 19, 2012
No Be Small thing Oh! wink
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

race / skin colour means nothing to me. it is the same as eye colour , hair colour, lip colour, nail colour, etc/ race is colonial mentality.

i stand with Tribal purity. even among full-blooded Hausa , you find some variations in skin tone , etc. it means nothing to us. skin colour can change over time, due to external pressures, temperature, selective breeding , etc.

however tribe/bloodline/ ethnic group will never change and will remain forever/

my Vision is for all tribes to maintain their ethnic and integral identity and purity. at the same time, all tribes around the world must be united. to me, a dark skinned Masaai tribesman is no different from a Malay-Dayak Tribesman from Borneo/Sumatra. i view all tribals and ethnic peoples on equal basis. apart from that, it so happens that all tribals and ethnics also tend to practice Paganism or are of individual Pagan heritage.

MY mission is to educate people on my views and to conduct my own work with regards to this. i also wish to draw a clear line between Africans and akatas. racism is not a part of us Africans. maybe it is a part of europeans/americans/akatas, but not in our mindset. you send oyinbo or Chinese to a remote African village and you see how warmly they will be treated and greeted without bias.

also it is not a question of his choice. at the end of the day, he is NUBIAN, not black. i am Hausa but i cant choose to cal myself Fulani just because we share the same land, etc. NO!
a donkey cant become a stallion even if it wants to. it will always remain a donkey.

In case you missed the memo, tribal purity is an anachronism in today's Nigeria.

You wish to draw a line between Africans and their kindred in the Diaspora, because you think racism is alien to Africans?
For this alone, it is clear you have never really paid much attention to the Arab conquest or indeed its attendant cost.

When you say racism is part of the African-American mind-set, you are, in a sense, condemning the victim left with no choice but to fashion a way forward. Mind you, it is just the kind of arrogance one expects from an ethnic irredentist who harks back to a romantic period which only exists in his mind.

Once you crossed over into the realms of absurdity to suggest Dr Hefny's has no right to identify himself as a Blackman, in my opinion, you betray your true mission as one designed to cause as much discord as possible, with little regard for intended consequences. Problem is; I am not even sure you recognise the trajectory you embarked on for what it is, since the road to perdition is paved with good intentions.

For what its worth, understand this: while you have an inalienable right to adopt primordial loyalties, like I do, all attempts to equate Nigeria’s ‘ethnic groups’ with ‘tribal purity’ (a contradiction in terms) will henceforth be repudiated on these boards.

6 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nuzo1(m): 10:15am On Nov 19, 2012
"My classification as a black man takes away my white pride, my white heritage and my strong white identity.” - KKK tongue
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Revolva(m): 10:18am On Nov 19, 2012
@pagan9ja
You are just changing the subject of this discussion na wa for your extremism o

Pls debate on hefnys case not your own fight to make the world pagan -- its another topic you are trying to bring here ..
Thanks hefny you are a black man don't mind the american system calling all egyptians white are they stewpid even arabs may look white but they aint white at all - don't they know there are some black egyptians?
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Afam4eva(m): 10:28am On Nov 19, 2012
“a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, North Africa or the Middle East” is classified as “white.”

Where are those people arguing that it's only Caucasians that are classified as white.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by dilbert100: 10:29am On Nov 19, 2012
what a crazy story!!!
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Kx: 10:48am On Nov 19, 2012
Odd world.

Black women and men (i.e ex govnor of oyo) dey bleach to turn oyibo.
Now "oyibo" man from Eqypt same him na black man nor bi oyibo.

Funny enough, black men in d disapora are denied juicy jobs becos of the color of their skin.
Here is a "white" man being denied a job because he is a majority and not a minority which the vacancy sought.
Wonders.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by GeneralGaricks: 10:54am On Nov 19, 2012
naija guys are strugling to eat. this guy is struggling to change his racial designation. how many naija guys go like be in this man's shoes

Over 1million Nigerians will submit interest under one hour. nawa oo
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by bknight: 10:58am On Nov 19, 2012
Mr Uncle Ruckus.

grin cheesy
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by redsun(m): 11:16am On Nov 19, 2012
Such a blind classification helps the oyinbos to buttress their illusive and shallow argurments that original egyptians are albinos.

If the man in question was stupi=d,he will actually start thinking that he is white.Just as they have managed to convince some stu-pid african americans that they are no longer africans.

1 Like

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by aglomar: 11:29am On Nov 19, 2012
Hmm. When the average Nigerian could bleach his body for travelling favours.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Arosa(m): 11:35am On Nov 19, 2012
So it pays to be black. interesting.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Orikinla(m): 11:52am On Nov 19, 2012
eGuerrilla: Detroit Man Livid Because Government Classifies Him as “White”

Source

A TYPICAL DESPERATE NIGERIAN WOULD NEVER PROTEST IT. MAJORITY OF NIGERIAN WOMEN WOULD RATHER BE LABELLED WHITE THAN BE BLACK AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE BLEACHING, TONING, SKIN WASHING AND CRAZY FOR WEAVE ON HAIRSTYLES TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE WHITE CHICKS.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Arosa(m): 11:58am On Nov 19, 2012
Orikinla:

A TYPICAL DESPERATE NIGERIAN WOULD NEVER PROTEST IT. MAJORITY OF NIGERIAN WOMEN WOULD RATHER BE LABELLED WHITE THAN BE BLACK AND THAT IS WHY THEY ARE BLEACHING, TONING, SKIN WASHING AND CRAZY FOR WEAVE ON HAIRSTYLES TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE WHITE CHICKS.

I disagree with you on this, a good job is more important than any race classification.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by 76Naira(m): 12:00pm On Nov 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

+ we are not blacks. and this man is Nubian and he is brown skinned. most of all , he is NUBIAN , so what nonsense black pride is he talking about tongue

Please check things before you post. I lived in Sudan for 3 years and no Nubian who knows the history will allow you call them a white race.
Nubians are about the oldest "recorded" African race.

"Nubia is the homeland of Africa's earliest black culture with a history which can be traced from 3800 B.C. onward through Nubian monuments and artifacts, as well as written records from Egypt and Rome. In antiquity, Nubia was a land of great natural wealth, of gold mines, ebony, ivory and incense which was always prized by her neighbors.

The Nubians lost their ancient homeland in the 1960's due to the Aswan dam flloding, but their culture and heritage remain.

The influx of Arabs to Egypt and Sudan had contributed to the suppression of the Nubian identity following the collapse of the last Nubian kingdom in 1900. A major part of the Nubian population were totally arabized or claimed to be arabs (Jaa'leen-the majority of Northern Sudanese- and some Donglawes in Sudan, Kenuz and Koreskos in Egypt). However all Nubians were converted to Islam, and Arabic language became their main media of communication in addition to their indigenous old Nubian language. The unique characteristic of Nubian is shown in their culture (dress, dances, traditions and music) as well as their indigenous language which is the common feature of all Nubians." Please don't remind them about this era, they know it too well!

http://www.pbs.org/wonders/Episodes/Epi1/1_retel1.htm
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nubian
http://wysinger.homestead.com/nubians.html

A Nubian family formed my closest friends while I was in Khartoum with my family.

4 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by alyarmouk(m): 12:32pm On Nov 19, 2012
BLACK PRIDE. I LOVE BEING BLACK. DODOS.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 19, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

What do you mean ''he is a Nubian not black''? You are massively ignorant and confused to not realise that Nubians have ALWAYS been black Africans. Why don't you go and read proper African history and stop making an assss of yourself?

3 Likes

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by KayDee4: 2:03pm On Nov 19, 2012
Arosa: So it pays to be black. interesting.

Yes it does.

Arosa: I disagree with you on this, a good job is more important than any race classification.

There's a connection between a good job and race. If he is classified as a black man by the federal government, then 'affirmative action' opens up a door of opportunities for him as a minority especially if there are not a lot of people of the same race in his line of profession.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Britzdon(m): 2:42pm On Nov 19, 2012
eGuerrilla: Detroit Man Livid Because Government Classifies Him as “White”

Source

america and racism.
The Europeans seem to be better.
Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by tpia1: 4:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
i've met a few nubians (i think) and i really wouldnt call them black, per se.

some are more arab than black, unless i'm missing something.

i could be wrong though.

i think this black thing is more of an american phenomenon, since its classified sort of differently in europe.

if you call a nubian black, would you also call them negro?

1 Like

Re: Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States by Horus(m): 5:09pm On Nov 19, 2012
This case make me believe that the demographic statistics of the black population is manipulated. In USA the official record show 13% of blacks but many people do not agree and believe that the percentages of blacks is much higher than 13%. The CIA World factbook on the web claim that only 4% of the population in Colombia is Black, but anybody who has ever been in Colombia knows that probably about a quarter of the population is Black. The same for Brazil, The CIA World factbook claim that there is only 7% blacks but anybody who has ever been in Brazil knows that probably about 45% of Brazilians are Black. There is something fishy going on here.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Osole Owo Todaju / Court Orders Osun CP To Arrest Oluwo / The Haitian History Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.