Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria (5692 Views)

Canadian Visa(visting Or Study Permit) / Visting Lagos - What You Would Advise Me To See / Visting Nigeria In Dec - Where To Hang Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria by aweo: 4:58am On Nov 19, 2012
Hi All,
Could you help me solve the questions below, please:
1. If a Nigerian (yet to be a US citizen) that holds a US current Green Card (and working in US) wants to visit Nigeria for a period of 3 weeks,
does the Nigerian need a US Visa to re-enter US?
2. What documents does the Nigerian need to present at US border to re-enter US from Nigeria successfully.
3. And what document does the Nigerian need to present to Nigerian immigration officials at 9ja airport when leaving for US?
4. What is the implication (if any) of this brief visit to Nigeria has on his getting US citizenship?
(Pls. Note that this Nigerian has a good job, pays taxes, live comfortably, and has no criminal record in US.)
Cheers,
Aweo.
Re: Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria by bigtt76(f): 6:55am On Nov 19, 2012
Holding a US Green Card means that you've been granted a leave to stay (Visa Permit) indefinitely to execute the terms of the Green card. You cannot have a green card and not have a leave to stay (Visa Permit). the only issue you might face is that you're not allowed to be away from the US for a pre-determined period in a year while having a valid Green Card. 3 Weeks wouldn't cause you harm and NO you don't need to re-apply for an entry Visa going back.
Re: Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria by dramenda(f): 7:12am On Nov 19, 2012
all your need to enter usa back is ur greencard,what did u need a visa for again?if u coming to nigeria u need ur nigeria PP.then when departing 9ja show them ur GC at the airport in 9ja.same thing when u get to usa.lobatan
Re: Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria by hypotallamus: 2:09pm On Nov 19, 2012
You need your Nigerian passport and your permanent resident card (green card). The passport allows you to board the plane from the US and get admission into Nigeria. The green card let you board the plane from Nigeria and get admission back to the US. You need no visa and spending 3weeks abroad should have no negative effect on your eventual US citizenship application.
Re: Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria by omega25red(m): 4:16pm On Nov 19, 2012
just have your valid Nigerian passport and valid Green card

when you get to Nigeria, present your Nigerian passport. When you get to the U.S present your Nigerian passport and green card. Oh by the way no visa needed

As far as you getting citizenship, This has no effect on you getting citizenship as long as you don't come back to the U.S carrying contraband. I had a green card and i travelled to coasta Rica and Bahamas with my green card and old Green pali. Few months later i got my citizenship with no issues.
Re: Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria by princeonx: 4:29am On Nov 20, 2012
All the above response/answers are very correct.

@poster: how long have you been/lived in the US? When and how did you become a permanent residence? Did you pick your green card on the street?
I asked all these question cux you seem not to know anything about YOUR OWN status in the US or your rights as a permanent residence. A US permanent residence can always come back to US even when they're jobless, not living comfortable and not paying taxes as long as s/he did not spend a whole year outside the US or more than 2 yrs with advance parole or travel document!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian US Green Card Holder Visting Nigeria, And Returning To US From Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22am On Nov 22, 2012
prince_onx: All the above response/answers are very correct.

@poster: how long have you been/lived in the US? When and how did you become a permanent residence? Did you pick your green card on the street?
I asked all these question cux you seem not to know anything about YOUR OWN status in the US or your rights as a permanent residence. A US permanent residence can always come back to US even when they're jobless, not living comfortable and not paying taxes as long as s/he did not spend a whole year outside the US or more than 2 yrs with advance parole or travel document!

Not everyone in America knows a lot.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hello Nigerians In Burkina Faso / Top 10 Places To Visit In Port Harcourt / Lagos Transportation System And How To Reduce Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.