Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,768 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

Civil Engrs In D House - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Civil Engrs In D House (2479 Views)

Facebook: Nasarawa Civil-Service Sacks Ruquayyat-Usman (pics) / FG Sacks Top Civil Servants Over Employment Racketeering — Minister / Geologists And Mining Engrs: Let's Talk Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Civil Engrs In D House by emteecve(m): 7:07pm On Nov 19, 2012
Hello. Dis goes out to all civil engrs in d house. Jes felt we cud do a brief daily update(notes,illustratns,pictures...) of our site or office experience, as dis may provide an avenue for odas to learn few tns.
Bt first of all, we can introduce ourselves-name,organisatn,yrs of experience, etc.
As for me, Mutiu, a fresh graduate frm OAU n currently aving my nysc wif Julius Berger Nig.plc, Abuja.
Expecting +ve responses pls. Tanx
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ajayioluwatobi(m): 8:55pm On Nov 19, 2012
Nice. I dont know may be am permited to post in this thread, am a building tech student @ unilag presently in 300l, i will like to know more of reading rebars from the plan and placing of each specified bars at it position. Asap.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Insanity(m): 8:48pm On Nov 20, 2012
ajayioluwatobi: Nice. I dont know may be am permited to post in this thread, am a building tech student @ unilag presently in 300l, i will like to know more of reading rebars from the plan and placing of each specified bars at it passions. Asap.

Am guessing 'reinforcement steel bars' is wht you meant by 'rebars', in building structural design drawings, the members are categorized grid like, where you have eg column B2, this means column on the intersept of grid B and grid 2. This is how i illustrate the members on my structure for easy interpretation. So, you should refer to the structural drawing not the building plan for better understanding and interpretation.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ajayioluwatobi(m): 11:27pm On Nov 20, 2012
Insanity:

Am guessing 'reinforcement steel bars' is wht you meant by 'rebars', in building structural design drawings, the members are categorized grid like, where you have eg column B2, this means column on the intersept of grid B and grid 2. This is how i illustrate the members on my structure for easy interpretation. So, you should refer to the structural drawing not the building plan for better understanding and interpretation.
thanks. How will you calculate and know the numbers of bars needed for a slab
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Insanity(m): 7:03am On Nov 21, 2012
ajayioluwatobi: thanks. How will you calculate and know the numbers of bars needed for a slab

It depends on the slab span, that's if its a one way or two way slab, one way means you will be designing the bars in one direction ( bottom reinforcements) and two ways slab, you will be designing for both the top and bottom reinforcements ie x and y direction. You have to determine the type of slab for you to know the formular standards to use in youя design. What's the span of the slab you want to design? Length and width? If the sum of the dimensions divided by two is <4.5m (one way slab) you design for only the bottom reinforcements but if its >4.5m (two way slab) you design for both the top and bottom reinforcements. There are so many other factors to consider in structural designs, so you need to be extra careful with the number and spacing, c/c, of bars you use, it must be from youя design that you get the figures, not by guessing.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ajayioluwatobi(m): 4:21pm On Nov 21, 2012
Insanity:

It depends on the slab span, that's if its a one way or two way slab, one way means you will be designing the bars in one direction ( bottom reinforcements) and two ways slab, you will be designing for both the top and bottom reinforcements ie x and y direction. You have to determine the type of slab for you to know the formular standards to use in youя design. What's the span of the slab you want to design? Length and width? If the sum of the dimensions divided by two is <4.5m (one way slab) you design for only the bottom reinforcements but if its >4.5m (two way slab) you design for both the top and bottom reinforcements. There are so many other factors to consider in structural designs, so you need to be extra careful with the number and spacing, c/c, of bars you use, it must be from youя design that you get the figures, not by guessing.
thanks alot.
How do you place and space rods in a panel, eg 21-R1201-225mm c/c B or T.
Pics. Below
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
ajayioluwatobi: thanks alot.
Pics. Below
You see it's quite simple. If you're designing a 2 way spanning slab using the limit state design method, you design the slab to meet the limit state requirement and serviceability. So from your design you ensure that the reinforment you provide on both spans is adequate. So say you provide what u wrote above for the design, it means you provide for that span 21 mild steel bars at spacing of 225mm centre to centre. You should also not forget torsional reinforcement at the discontinuous edeges and reinforcements that you provide at the continuous edges. The lengths of those reinforcements are important and are dependent on the length of the whatever span the slab has.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Nobody: 6:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
ajayioluwatobi: thanks alot.
Pics. Below
You see it's quite simple. If you're designing a 2 way spanning slab using the limit state design method, you design the slab to meet the limit state requirement and serviceability. So from your design you ensure that the reinforment you provide on both spans is adequate. So say you provide what u wrote above for the design, it means you provide for that span 21 mild steel bars at spacing of 225mm centre to centre. You should also not forget torsional reinforcement at the discontinuous edeges and reinforcements that you provide at the continuous edges. The lengths of those reinforcements are important and are dependent on the length of the whatever span the slab has.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ajayioluwatobi(m): 6:41pm On Nov 21, 2012
12 inches!:

God bless u

Can you enlighten me on Doubly reinforced beam : 1-y2003+2-y1604, 2*25-R1005-240mm c/c - Double
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by walex34(m): 4:46pm On Nov 22, 2012
Pls i need help am a civil engrn. Student frm yabatech...i just finish my ND so i need a company to do my Industrial Attachment...any body that can help or with info. Dis is my email raji_ola34@yahoo.com, 08020714100
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Insanity(m): 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
ajayioluwatobi: God bless u

Can you enlighten me on Doubly reinforced beam : 1-y2003+2-y1604, 2*25-R1005-240mm c/c - Double

It means you should place 1 high tensile 'Y' steel bar, 20mm, with the serial no '05' (refer to the structural drawing for the serial no) + 2 'Y' steel bars, 16mm, with the serial no '04' and bind for shear reinforcement with 25, 2 to 1, 10mm mild steel bar, spacing 240mm center to center.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ColourME: 11:19pm On Nov 22, 2012
ajayioluwatobi: God bless u

You can do a lot more by using one of the various structural analysis software out there. e.g.

Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis(very flexible)
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Insanity(m): 8:53am On Nov 23, 2012
Colour ME:

You can do a lot more by using one of the various structural analysis software out there. e.g.

Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis(very flexible)

Autodesk software and StaadPRO, which one is more flexible for a beginner to use? 'Cuz i want to learn any of the structural analysis softwares.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ColourME: 9:05am On Nov 23, 2012
Go for Autodesk Robot or Tekla structures. I never fancy StaadPro.

Autodesk Robot is very flexible and comes with a plug in that enables a direct interfacing with Autodesk Inventor, Revit and AutoCad structural Detailing.

I used StaadPro and Tekla 14 but dumped them when I discovered Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis software.

My verdict? Autodesk Robot structural analysis all the way.

Insanity:

Autodesk software and StaadPRO, which one is more flexible for a beginner to use? 'Cuz i want to learn any of the structural analysis softwares.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Insanity(m): 9:45am On Nov 23, 2012
Colour ME: Go for Autodesk Robot or Tekla structures. I never fancy StaadPro.

Autodesk Robot is very flexible and comes with a plug in that enables a direct interfacing with Autodesk Inventor, Revit and AutoCad structural Detailing.

I used StaadPro and Tekla 14 but dumped them when I discovered Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis software.

My verdict? Autodesk Robot structural analysis all the way.

Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis it is then. Can i deal with the software on my own? Or should i get a tutor for the basics? U have a link for me to download it? Or i should just buy n install via PC software dealers? just give me ya views. Thanks a lot for the info.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ColourME: 1:52pm On Nov 23, 2012
You made a wise choice by choosing Autodesk Robot. Your ability to design and analyze structures must be enhanced within few weeks. thank me later.

You should get a crack version in Lagos, computer village or get the license if you are capable of doing that.

About learning, I suggest you watch many YouTube videos you can or buy online training tutorials. You should be able learn it yourself as a trained civil engineer( Just an extension of what you already have in your brain)

I can still help you out if you want a physical contact( with payments) or start a thread here if you want FREE online training supports from me( I'm willing to teach you here from A to Z for FREE)

I'm a CAD tutor and very versed with them. I use tons of software at professional level cutting across several engineering field of architecture, civil, production, mechanical and construction. I write and run scripts, cos no single application out there is perfect. when designing houses, I literally build them in computer 3D with all dimensions of as-built. when designing structural members I teleport myself into the world of CAD. I use 3D MAX for most rendering and animation with mental ray cos Vray normally drain computer resources. I use inventor or solidworks for mechanical design.

Here is my blog,
www.bashirm13..com
Figure it out yourself.

THANKS.

Insanity:

Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis it is then. Can i deal with the software on my own? Or should i get a tutor for the basics? U have a link for me to download it? Or i should just buy n install via PC software dealers? just give me ya views. Thanks a lot for the info.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Insanity(m): 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2012
Colour ME: You made a wise choice by choosing Autodesk Robot. Your ability to design and analyze structures must be enhanced within few weeks. thank me later.

You should get a crack version in Lagos, computer village or get the license if you are capable of doing that.

About learning, I suggest you watch many YouTube videos you can or buy online training tutorials. You should be able learn it yourself as a trained civil engineer( Just an extension of what you already have in your brain)

I can still help you out if you want a physical contact( with payments) or start a thread here if you want FREE online training supports from me( I'm willing to teach you here from A to Z for FREE)

I'm a CAD tutor and very versed with them. I use tons of software at professional level cutting across several engineering field of architecture, civil, production, mechanical and construction. I write and run scripts, cos no single application out there is perfect. when designing houses, I literally build them in computer 3D with all dimensions of as-built. when designing structural members I teleport myself into the world of CAD. I use 3D MAX for most rendering and animation with mental ray cos Vray normally drain computer resources. I use inventor or solidworks for mechanical design.

Here is my blog,
www.bashirm13..com
Figure it out yourself.

THANKS.

Okay. i need youя email to contact you. Am in lagos right now for my auotcad 2D 3D, p&id, PDMS training.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ColourME: 6:04pm On Nov 23, 2012
Insanity:

Okay. i need youя email to contact you. Am in lagos right now for my auotcad 2D 3D, p&id, PDMS training.

unfortunately, I'm based in Portharcout for now and my training center is located @ OFF, ADA GEORGE, CHINDA.

You can still contact me for ANY assistance through this e-mail address: creator.elb@gmail.com
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ColourME: 6:20pm On Nov 23, 2012
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ColourME: 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2012
One more thing, autocad is only good for drafting 2D. The 3D modeling in autocad is NOT flexible and can be chunky. Can't deform curves to higher degrees.

Though, people consider it first stop for any engineer or draftman. The 2011 version came with mesh modeling of 3D which can come handy but still several years behind other packages with B-spline or free form designing tools.

The 2013 is improved upon greatly. one thing you have to give to autocad is universality and general acceptability across most industries.

Another advantage of starting 3D in autocad is the tools are interchangeable with other higher Autodesk software.

E.g thesame icon in autocad is replicated in inventor, so you will have less concern with acquaintance with newer icons. The UI is similar with other Autodesk packages like Autodesk 3D civil, Autodesk inventor, Autodesk 3D plant, Autocad detailing.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ajayioluwatobi(m): 6:37pm On Nov 23, 2012
what about Prokon (Structural Design Software)........
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by emteecve(m): 7:53pm On Nov 23, 2012
tanx 2 every1. Dis thread is growing
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Insanity(m): 8:27pm On Nov 23, 2012
Colour ME: One more thing, autocad is only good for drafting 2D. The 3D modeling in autocad is NOT flexible and can be chunky. Can't deform curves to higher degrees.

Though, people consider it first stop for any engineer or draftman. The 2011 version came with mesh modeling of 3D which can come handy but still several years behind other packages with B-spline or free form designing tools.

The 2013 is improved upon greatly. one thing you have to give to autocad is universality and general acceptability across most industries.

Another advantage of starting 3D in autocad is the tools are interchangeable with other higher Autodesk software.

E.g thesame icon in autocad is replicated in inventor, so you will have less concern with acquaintance with newer icons. The UI is similar with other Autodesk packages like Autodesk 3D civil, Autodesk inventor, Autodesk 3D plant, Autocad detailing.

i got youя email id. You'll get a mail frm me soonest. i just visited ya blog, quite interesting and awesome i have to say. i was already looking forward to meeting you till i got the info that you are not based in Lagos. Sad news. Youя designs are very diverse and dynamic, I have a lot to learn. Most firms request for proficiency in StaadPro, that's why i was leaning towards that earlier. What are youя views on that?

Secondly, am a Civil Engr that want to venture into FEED (front end engineering design) in the oil and gas industry viz subsea, pipeline, platform designs. Which design programs would you advise me to learn?

How did you start? i mean, youя blog is just soo interesting with all those designs, modeling with , if not, all the design softwares i've heard of + soo many that i didn't know existed. The building designs is what i'll love to learn personally for the freelance project i've been planning to start.
Let me stop here with the questions 'cuz i can go on and on...will ask more via email.
Thanks a million.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by emteecve(m): 8:36pm On Nov 23, 2012
Colour ME: You made a wise choice by choosing Autodesk Robot. Your ability to design and analyze structures must be enhanced within few weeks. thank me later.

Here is my blog,
www.bashirm13..com
Figure it out yourself.

THANKS.

bro, rilli appreciate ur gud works here n on ur blog. Wont b bad if u can jes select any of d software n do an online tutorial for guys. Tanx.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ColourME: 10:07pm On Nov 23, 2012
Insanity:

i got youя email id. You'll get a mail frm me soonest. i just visited ya blog, quite interesting and awesome i have to say. i was already looking forward to meeting you till i got the info that you are not based in Lagos. Sad news. Youя designs are very diverse and dynamic, I have a lot to learn. Most firms request for proficiency in StaadPro, that's why i was leaning towards that earlier. What are youя views on that?

Secondly, am a Civil Engr that want to venture into FEED (front end engineering design) in the oil and gas industry viz subsea, pipeline, platform designs. Which design programs would you advise me to learn?

How did you start? i mean, youя blog is just soo interesting with all those designs, modeling with , if not, all the design softwares i've heard of + soo many that i didn't know existed. The building designs is what i'll love to learn personally for the freelance project i've been planning to start.
Let me stop here with the questions 'cuz i can go on and on...will ask more via email.
Thanks a million.

Thanks for your kind words. looking forward to your email.

@Bold and other questions you may wish to ask in your mail, I'll give you specific reference with some direct lift from company standards of shell, total, agip and exxon mobil.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ColourME: 10:20pm On Nov 23, 2012
Just tell me what you want to know from my blog and I'll be glad to start a tutorials on it.

emteecve: bro, rilli appreciate ur gud works here n on ur blog. Wont b bad if u can jes select any of d software n do an online tutorial for guys. Tanx.
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by ajayioluwatobi(m): 1:56pm On Nov 24, 2012
QUESTION:
(1) why in the bridge pier design is circular.
(2) what are uses of drawing shear force and bending
moment diagrams..

please give best answer..
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by emteecve(m): 3:31pm On Nov 24, 2012
ajayioluwatobi: QUESTION:
(1) why in the bridge pier design is circular.
(2) what are uses of drawing shear force and bending
moment diagrams..

please give best answer..
wif d little i know bout bridges,nt all bridge piers are circular, there are other shapes of bridge piers. Bt d design might always circular cos of even transmission of load. Since there are no sharp edges, d load will b transmitted uniformly thruout d pier sectn. Dats d little i know. Expectn replies as well.
2) shear force n bmd are used for designing concrete structures against shear n flexure. The bmd gives d values of moments d structure is expected to b subjected to, usually to determine reinforcement bars to b used against tensile forces, n sumtimes compression. While shear force is used to design against shear(cutting off due to shear force) n dey can also b used in determining deflectn.
Expectn more answers also
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by JejeJaiye: 12:01pm On Feb 27, 2013
Am a Structural Concrete retailer... I need someone who can take me Steel Detailing properly ..... e-mail: jaiyejeje@ymail.com... 08025300687
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Coolstan: 1:08am On Oct 16, 2013
nice thread. Am a graduate civil engineer currently serving in Lagos. Does anyone know where I can learn Prokon structural design or Any other nice design software ?
Re: Civil Engrs In D House by Furious2(m): 2:32pm On Oct 16, 2013

Here is my blog,
www.bashirm13..com
Figure it out yourself.

THANKS.

Please start the thread on NL especially AutoCAD

(1) (Reply)

African Leadership Group Early Graduate Training Programme 2022 / Become A Computer Wizard / Oil Workers And Bankers Who Earns More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.