Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? (2247 Views)

Should Nigerians Revenge The Xenophobic Attacks? Check What A Blogger Has TO SAY / Nigerians Be Warned! / Plan To Reduce The Population Of Africa Through Vacines (Stealth Sterilization) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Blackteeth(m): 9:21pm On Nov 19, 2012
What if Nigerians are given financial incentives to go for optional reproductive sterilization would it work to tame down the population and reap its benefits? I think the population of Nigeria is also responsible for making the country so development resistant. Since the government can't carry everyone along and doesnt want to perform why not reduce the burden on their shoulders? If the population of Nigeria was 70% less there would definitely be a better condition with or without government performance.

1. unemployed graduates will reduce,
2. it would be easier to educate the masses
3. infrastructures like roads will last much longer due to lighter use.
4. The traffic congestion will disappear and the air would be cleaner.
5. Corrupt politicans will be less.
6. Security challenges will be lighter.
7. Crime rate will be less.
8. Competition for space and survival will be less.
9. Poverty would be less.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Nobody: 6:08am On Nov 20, 2012
This is a bad idea.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by ektbear: 6:27am On Nov 20, 2012
Population engineering like this has a very bad reputation. People will say that you shouldn't discriminate against people for being poor, dumb, having too many kids, etc.

But ultimately, if you don't penalize behavior that weakens society, then implicitly you are encouraging such behavior.

So, good idea, but very difficult to implement, especially in a democracy.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 20, 2012
No
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by ektbear: 6:41am On Nov 20, 2012
Can we hear arguments against?
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 20, 2012
Sterilization is too final. It takes away a basic need and drive to have children and family and thats just not fair. I think there are much better ways to acomplish a balance.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by ektbear: 6:54am On Nov 20, 2012
What about a vasectomy? This procedure is reversible, I believe.

Similarly, if a woman has her tubes tied, this is also reversible.

Plus, if people are being paid to have this procedure done, then it isn't so bad.

Finally, what are these better ways you speak of?
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 20, 2012
Better ways are addressing poverty.
Better ways are making a more responsible and functional government!
I dont agree with this reversable steralization thing. It shouldnt happen to begin with.
People everywhere need family in a reasonably stable and functional society.
Maybe give incentive to having a smaller family but also the government must make comprimise and support.
IMO
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by ebamma(m): 7:21am On Nov 20, 2012
Naija guys too like to fucck toto,very soon our population go high pass china own
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by fapcrook(m): 7:22am On Nov 20, 2012
i think its an extreme case. there are other ways of reducing population
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by solid3(m): 7:29am On Nov 20, 2012
Nope!

Nigeria is too young, when we meet up with China's population, we can now begin to think that way.

We still have vast land mass both for survival, agriculture, housing and other.

My wife shld be ready to bear not less than 7 kids cos my mum tried more.

wink cool wink
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by jabanz(m): 7:31am On Nov 20, 2012
SniperInADiaper: This is a bad idea.
well if it helps fine
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by lolaluv1(f): 7:35am On Nov 20, 2012
*solid*:
Nope!

Nigeria is too young, when we meet up with China's population, we can now begin to think that way.

We still have vast land mass both for survival, agriculture, housing and other.

My wife shld be ready to bear not less than 7 kids cos my mum tried more.

wink cool wink

Wow! 7 kids in this day and age! No offence o, just astounded!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by lolaluv1(f): 7:44am On Nov 20, 2012
The government should explore various options to tackle the issue and pick the best.
I think educated Nigerians are changing for the better, except for some who stubbornly cling to the status quo.
What is the rationale in having kids you can't effectively cater to, anyways?
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by jhydebaba(m): 7:47am On Nov 20, 2012
ebamma: Naija guys too like to fucck toto,very soon our population go high pass china own
bros, wetin dey give naija guy joy apart from toto No good road, no fuel, no food, unmanageable apartment, no money for pocket, landlord palava, no job, no hope of a better future, the list is just endless.
Abeg, make we enjoy the free sweetness of nature joor.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Caseless: 8:17am On Nov 20, 2012
Hmmmm....which reproductive sterilisation are u talking about again after dem don use polio vaccine sterilize our s'perm finish for north?

My question is: what is our population figure in 1990 and how was life for nigerians then? I think this whole mess we are in today started long..long time ago.
Countrys like china, indonesia, brazil, india etc are doing well despite their huge population. Why can't we use our population to our own advantage like we've seen in countries afforementioned? You see, u will blame it on poor leadership and maybe the gov't is not proactive in tackling some population-related issues.
An increasing Population is power if properly managed..as u wld pull weight and relevance whenever comity of nations are on the round-table.

( sori, the reverse is the case here, even thou as we manage de rellevant for africa...we can stil go beyond africa in good light and not by corrupttion )

Op, even if e go work, laaayee... e no go work for north.
Give dem that incentive, dem go marry new wife with am and production go continue
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Caseless: 8:27am On Nov 20, 2012
jhydebaba: bros, wetin dey give naija guy joy apart from toto No good road, no fuel, no food, unmanageable apartment, no money for pocket, landlord palava, no job, no hope of a better future, the list is just endless.
Abeg, make we enjoy the free sweetness of nature joor.
and why u have that one(toto) to enjoy is becos they subsidise am, if minister of women affair and Gej remove the subsidy now....we wil be left with nothing...no more source of sweetness, we go come de live bitter-leaf life style. Hmmm..economy no good, so i no fit marry...*grabs ashawo* to cool-off.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by slimyem: 8:39am On Nov 20, 2012
I would think that our large population is the only thing we have had going for us in this country for a long time..
Its a large market for investors...but it'll also be our undoing...
The povety level will make a lot of people jump at the opportunity....and the illiteracy level will make a lot also reject it..
Its a dicey one...but seriously,we need that shyt!!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by ONESS: 8:44am On Nov 20, 2012
caseless: and why u have that one(toto) to enjoy is becos they subsidise am, if minister of women affair and Gej remove the subsidy now....we wil be left with nothing...no more source of sweetness, we go come de live bitter-leaf life style. Hmmm..economy no good, so i no fit marry...*grabs ashawo* to cool-off.
u see my dear writer the Devil can not be seen but it is resides in the heart of every man only if you allow him. this your notion is satanic pls repent from such idea unless ypou already have a palace in hell then ride on.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by slimyem: 8:49am On Nov 20, 2012
talina: Better ways are addressing poverty.
I dont agree with this reversable steralization thing. It shouldnt happen to begin with.
Maybe give incentive to having a smaller family but also the government must make comprimise and support.
IMO

this wouldn't be a bad idea...!
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Caseless: 8:51am On Nov 20, 2012
ONESS:
u see my dear writer the Devil can not be seen but it is resides in the heart of every man only if you allow him. this your notion is satanic pls repent from such idea unless ypou already have a palace in hell then ride on.
u are right! I no wan enter hell abeg becos of kpekus..... GOD, i need ur guidance always from the wrong path. In ur power, i repent...ameen! Oness, pray for me too.

1 Like

Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by deenee: 9:29am On Nov 20, 2012
The option suggested herein is rather extreme but the truth is that Nigeria is becoming an over populated and something drastic has to be done to mitigate for the downsides of this trend.

Unfortunately, Nigerians are very funny people who believe that children whether they can be catered for or not are a gift from God. The irony is that there is absolutely no point having children when the economic means to accommodate them is not sustainable.

More so if you carry out a survey most of those that end up as miscreants are probably children from homes where the above mentioned is lacking. Although this assertion can be argued further.

This said, I would agree with the poster but this way out should be at the volition of people involved and not by compulsion.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Iolo(m): 9:29am On Nov 20, 2012
I agree. We really need to find ways to slow down population growth and let the population age.

Nigeria's median age is about 19 or so. Other countries like the US are in the 30's.

What this means is that there are too many young people such that those (aged 35 - above) who are supposed to have attained the stage of financial stability and cater to these younger ones by opening their own businesses to create employment are too little to achieve this.

If we continue this way, no amount of Government intervention would totally rid us of this our current unemployment status.

I also think that abortions for married couples and singles could be legalized to achieve this.

If not for China's one child policy. Their poverty rates would still be in the dungeon as culturally they were always a high growth population just like Nigeria with 6 or more kids per family.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Blackteeth(m): 9:31am On Nov 20, 2012
talina: Better ways are addressing poverty.
IMO
This thing is optional. It wouldnt be forced on anyone's throat. Not everyone is really interested in having a family. There are some who dont care. But they still reproduce in the process of trying to satisfy urges. They wouldnt go for sterilization cos there is no benefit for them.

Like I said before, since the government is reluctant to tackle the nation's problem, why dont we have a population decline? Why should government be ineffective and the population is kept high and keeps increasing? Something has to give way.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Originalsly: 11:23am On Nov 20, 2012
I think it would be a good thing for you to have a dose of your own medicine. There are countries that have larger populations and less resources than Nigeria but are moving forward in development while Nigeria is stagnant. Is it because of poulation or corruption and the unwillngness of the governments to plan and carry out policies that would promote develoment? If by tonight Nigeria's population is somehow reduced by half...do you believe that by the end of next year things would improve? I wouldn't be surprised if you are one of the government policy makers.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by adefash(m): 2:11pm On Nov 20, 2012
What is the population of nigeria compared to china and US? Are these two countries using their population to their advantages or disadvantages? Our govt. Is clueless. Even if we trim our population to one quarter of its present population, things wont get any better.
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 20, 2012
nigerians seriously need to start feeling sorry for themselves and do something.you keep comparing our population with china and uk. we are too much
Re: Should Nigerians Be Given Financial Incentives To Go For Optional Sterilization? by Princejydo(m): 7:50pm On Nov 20, 2012
China has d largest populatn bt dvelop why ours diffrent

(1) (Reply)

"Is The Amalgamation Of Northern And Southern Nigeria A Mistake" / Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? / See What GMB Is Making GEJ To Do...if These Continue For One Year!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.