Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,035 members, 7,799,515 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

How Insignificant/significant Are We? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Insignificant/significant Are We? (3667 Views)

How Significant Is Good Friday? / When The Insignificant Becomes Significant. / You're Too Insignificant To Claim There Is No God. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Areaboy2(m): 10:52am On Nov 20, 2012
I have a couple of pictures to give you a little perspective of how tiny and infinitesimal we are when it comes to the grand scale of things in the universe.

So before you go around saying we were "created in his image and likeness", put here to take care of the earth for "him" and then be judged on how we do it before returning back to heaven, I want you to consider the following pictures and ask yourself. WHY bother with so much else?

Mind you, none of these were mentioned in any of the "holy" books.
Take a few seconds.. relax and marvel at our galaxy. Everything you see is contained in our milky way galaxy alone. except of course the last picture

lets start from the smallest shall we? Although it is important to point out that pluto is no longer a planet. However, we can replace that with our moon since they are no much bigger than themselves, prolly 1/2

At this point, our little planet is still pulling its weight around the "big boys" or should i say the "rocky boys". Or is it?

welcome to the world of gas. With no solid surface to stand on, these balls of gas find it easier getting so big because well, gas expands and contracts much better than earth (rock) does

As big as they seem, compare them to our sun (the major gas giant we have in our solar system) and they are immediately puny in size

can u see us there? grin grin grin grin

Our sun is really big!! 90million kilometers away from us and 1.3million kilometers in diameter, it is BIG!!! But how does she measure up with some other biggies around the block? Not very well i'm afraid cry

That monster Arcturus is the 4th brightest star you see at night. Right behind Sirius (since Sirius is a lot closer to us it appears brighter)

Compared to my favourite star Betelgeuse smiley (you can actually see Betelgeuse with your naked eye at night) and his monster cousin Antares, Arcturus is a baby tongue

Tips on how to spot Betelgeuse: On any clear night sky, (if you're near the Equator like Nigeria, it wouldn't matter what time of the year) try to spot three stars in a straight line separated by a fingers length when u stretch your arms upwards (Usually called "the three kings" ). Try to align these three stars on one hand (preferably left) there will be four stars forming a rectangle around these three. The top left one with a reddish twinkle is Betelgeuse. and the bottom right one in the square is Rigel

As big as these stars get, they are really insignificant compared to our medium sized galaxy.

Finally, how many galaxies out there? seemingly just as many as the number of stars

everything you see there is a galaxy .

I ask the question one more time.

How significant do you think we are?

3 Likes

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by advocate666: 12:38pm On Nov 20, 2012
And these are only the ones we know about.
It could even be less than 0.000001% of the universe.
And also assuming there is only one "universe".

Imagine: what if our universe is just one tiny dot in a cluster of multitidude of others universes?
What if this multiverse cluster is one amongst many, and so on.
The reality is that our knowledge of our surrounding are so limited that we can only imagine.

Thanks for those reality check pictures.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 20, 2012
@ Area_boy

On the surface, the pictures above clearly show in black and white how tiny we are, compared to several celestial objects around us.

HOWEVER, size is not a function of value. Is a full-grown elephant more valuable than a suckling infant?

The biggest of those bodies, your Antares, does it posses any awareness? Does it have intelligence? Can it investigate other bodies around it?

Man's absolute dominance of Earth is a testament to attributes which have absolutely nothing too do with mass.

Finally, if you just think about it, those comparative pictures actually highlight how mighty we are as humans smiley.

2 Likes

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 20, 2012
I love this beautiful quote, learnt it from my dad as a kid:

"Why do men stand in awe of the stars, and the moon, the immensity of the sea, the beauty of a flower or a sunset, and at the same time downgrade themselves? Did not the same Creator make man? Is not man himself the most marvellous creation of all?” ---- (PsychoCybernatics, Maxwell Maltz (I think smiley).

2 Likes

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Areaboy2(m): 1:28pm On Nov 20, 2012
There is no doubt in my mind whether there is life out there in the universe other than earth. The presence of Amino acids on comets is overwhelming evidence that life is not isolated to earth The question is, are they intelligent??
The truth is, we may never know if there exists intelligence out there or not. it is quite arrogant for us to feel we are the only ones out here.

I'll bet my money on there being life on another planet. I just hope i will be alive to see us discover it

1 Like

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Areaboy2(m): 1:36pm On Nov 20, 2012
advocate666: And these are only the ones we know about.
It could even be less than 0.000001% of the universe.
And also assuming there is only one "universe".

Imagine: what if our universe is just one tiny dot in a cluster of multitidude of others universes?
What if this multiverse cluster is one amongst many, and so on.
The reality is that our knowledge of our surrounding are so limited that we can only imagine.

Thanks for those reality check pictures.

indeed.. The possibilities are simply mind boggling.

I have a feeling our universe is only one of many too. It was only 80years ago astronomers discovered that our galaxy was just a tiny spec in the majesty of the universe. Give another 50 years, we may well find more about our universe. Since it is mathematically possible to have multiple universes or multiverses, then i guess it's only a matter of time.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Image123(m): 3:26pm On Nov 20, 2012
size is not a sole class for significance. There are many man made structures like bridges, skyscrapers and machines that are not as significant as life or man, the crown of creation. We are only insignificant in relation to God.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 20, 2012
Richfella: @ Area_boy

On the surface, the pictures above clearly show in black and white how tiny we are, compared to several celestial objects around us.

HOWEVER, size is not a function of value. Is a full-grown elephant more valuable than a suckling infant?

The biggest of those bodies, your Antares, does it posses any awareness? Does it have intelligence? Can it investigate other bodies around it?

Man's absolute dominance of Earth is a testament to attributes which have absolutely nothing too do with mass.

Finally, if you just think about it, those comparative pictures actually highlight how mighty we are as humans smiley.

You're in denial.

OF COURSE the extremely tiny size of earth (ie our world) in relation to the universe(s) must indicate to any rational person that the chance of us being in any way ''unique'' or uniquely endowed with intelligent life is statistically ZERO.

1 Like

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Areaboy2(m): 4:37pm On Nov 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

You're in denial.

OF COURSE the extremely tiny size of earth (ie our world) in relation to the universe(s) must indicate to any rational person that the likelihood of us being in any way ''unique'' or uniquely endowed with intelligent life is ZERO.

thank you my brother you too much.. this is exactly the point i'm trying to bring across
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 20, 2012
^^You're welcome. I also believe that once we 'die' we regain our 'spirit' bodies and can tour to any part of this vast universe and witness the various forms of life and civilization out there. Right now we are encumbered by our being in human bodies, as well as being limited to a five-sense reality.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

You're in denial.

OF COURSE the extremely tiny size of earth (ie our world) in relation to the universe(s) must indicate to any rational person that the chance of us being in any way ''unique'' or uniquely endowed with intelligent life is statistically ZERO.

Lol. The biggest of those bodies possess no consciousness.

Even there are other intelligent life forms, how does that make man insignificant? If your neighbour also buys a Ferari, does that reduce the value of yours?
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by advocate666: 5:29pm On Nov 20, 2012
ROSSIKE: ^^You're welcome. I also believe that once we 'die' we regain our 'spirit' bodies and can tour to any part of this vast universe and witness the various forms of life and civilization out there. Right now we are encumbered by our being in human bodies, as well as being limited to a five-sense reality.

you were making sense until you typed this.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by JeSoul(f): 5:40pm On Nov 20, 2012
Nice thread.

Areaboy (and others),
From an educational standpoint - please check out the app Solarwalk. It is quite possibly the greatest app ever made. It lets you globe universe-trot in real time across planets, stars and galaxies giving detailed information & statistics. I've been in love with the app ever since I got it.
http://vitotechnology.com/solar-walk.html
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Heatblast(m): 8:34pm On Nov 20, 2012
Nice topic. This video should be useful too ----> http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M&gl=GB
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 20, 2012
This brings forth another question:

If god created all these outrageously huge things, why would he stoop to handling the affairs of little common men like us, trying to prove his power by fighting a tiny bunch of egyptians?

Does that even make sense? That I rule the world and have all the power there is, but will stoop as low as to exchange punches with a drunk village man?

1 Like

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by mazaje(m): 11:04pm On Nov 20, 2012
inurmind: This brings forth another question:

If god created all these outrageously huge things, why would he stoop to handling the affairs of little common men like us, trying to prove his power by fighting a tiny bunch of egyptians?

Does that even make sense? That I rule the world and have all the power there is, but will stoop as low as to exchange punches with a drunk village man?

Or fighting along side men and unable to defeat some of them because they had iron chariots. Imagine the same god running away because he was afraid men will build a tower that will reach up to him in the sky so he "confused their tongue". . .Imagine and educated and intelligent people believe all the myths. . .Na wah. . .

4 Likes

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Areaboy2(m): 11:30pm On Nov 20, 2012
mazaje:

Or fighting along side men and unable to defeat some of them because they had iron chariots. Imagine the same god running away because he was afraid men will build a tower that will reach up to him in the sky so he "confused their tongue". . .Imagine and educated and intelligent people believe all the myths. . .Na wah. . .

hahahahahaah first time i read this line in the bible i fell off my chair with laughter. They had modern technology (aka iron chariots) so god said "you know what Judah.. you're on your own" grin grin grin

Oh and don't forget he actually "Hardened" the heart of Pharaoh so he could torture him and his people more. the same twisted logic he used to send himself who was his son actually that he got from getting a Palestine virgin pregnant to die for our original sin that he caused in the first place?? what was the point of that damn tree in the garden?
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Image123(m): 11:34pm On Nov 20, 2012
Take a few seconds.. relax and marvel at our galaxy. Everything you see is contained in our milky way galaxy alone. except of course the last picture
This is nonsense talk by the way, the above quote,that is.
the scriptures plainly teaches the insignificance of man and of the earth. And its the very reason why God can and will easily punish mankind for all of eternity. Atheists usually think man as the big deal the real deal whom God should not and cannot punish in hell fire. Hear the scriptures and take away your eyes from insignificant pictures.

Psa 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
Job 25:6 How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?

Psa 144:3 LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!
Isa 40:15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.

Isa 40:17 All nations before him are as nothing; and they are counted to him less than nothing, and vanity.
Isa 40:18 To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?

Dan 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

Psa 62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.

Job 9:12 Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder him? who will say unto him, What doest thou?

Psa 115:3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

The Spirit of God, who formed all things knew all these things before. That's why it is grace and unmerited favour that makes us significant before God. Sinners remain insignificant even though they may forever play the pity card, or the God is immoral card.

1 Like

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Areaboy2(m): 11:50pm On Nov 20, 2012
Image123:
This is nonsense talk by the way, the above quote,that is.
the scriptures plainly teaches the insignificance of man and of the earth. And its the very reason why God can and will easily punish mankind for all of eternity. Atheists usually think man as the big deal the real deal whom God should not and cannot punish in hell fire. Hear the scriptures and take away your eyes from insignificant pictures.

Psa 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
Job 25:6 How much less man, that is a worm? and the son of man, which is a worm?

Psa 144:3 LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him! or the son of man, that thou makest account of him!
Isa 40:15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.

Isa 40:17 All nations before him are as nothing; and they are counted to him less than nothing, and vanity.
Isa 40:18 To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?

Dan 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?

Psa 62:9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.

Job 9:12 Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder him? who will say unto him, What doest thou?

Psa 115:3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.

The Spirit of God, who formed all things knew all these things before. That's why it is grace and unmerited favour that makes us significant before God. Sinners remain insignificant even though they may forever play the pity card, or the God is immoral card.

mate, I hope you are not serious. All you are doing here is confirming the god of the gaps idea.

I didn't even bother with all of them cos I know you guys are kingpins when it comes to out of context readings. when you read a text out of context to fortify your position, you have to realise that some other people might actually read it in context.

i"ll start from verse ten of your Isaiah text.. context context context

10 Behold, the Lord GOD will come with strong hand, and his arm shall rule for him: behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.

11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

12 Who hath measured the waters in the hollow of his hand, and meted out heaven with the span, and comprehended the dust of the earth in a measure, and weighed the mountains in scales, and the hills in a balance?

13 Who hath directed the Spirit of the LORD, or being his counsellor hath taught him?

14 With whom took he counsel, and who instructed him, and taught him in the path of judgment, and taught him knowledge, and shewed to him the way of understanding?

15 Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.

16 And Lebanon is not sufficient to burn, nor the beasts thereof sufficient for a burnt offering.

17 All nations before him are as nothing; and they are counted to him less than nothing, and vanity.

18 To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him?

19 The workman melteth a graven image, and the goldsmith spreadeth it over with gold, and casteth silver chains.

20 He that is so impoverished that he hath no oblation chooseth a tree that will not rot; he seeketh unto him a cunning workman to prepare a graven image, that shall not be moved.

using fancy colours when you write doesn't make you correct undecided
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by tpia1: 11:54pm On Nov 20, 2012
could have been a nice and informative thread without the unnecessary vulgarity, and also if it were in science section.

everything you people do doesnt have to be coloured by misery, does it?

why not try to do things occasionally in an objective manner, and without your pointless and fruitless attacks on christianity or whatever.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by greatgenius: 1:54am On Nov 21, 2012
if you think humans are insignificant then you must be deluded and have no idea who you are. On the other hand it is erroneously arrogant to think that we are the only one in this vast universe because we are not.

There are thousands of thousands of more evolved and advanced creatures above us just us there are thousands of less evolved creatures below us.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Nobody: 2:49am On Nov 21, 2012
inurmind: This brings forth another question:

Thank you very much for this. You see that is why I laugh when I read these bible stories, about how God supposedly has a set of ''chosen people'', as if the earth was not tiny enough! It's like you picking up a grain of sand, and instead of making the grain your chosen grain if you have anything to say to it, you go looking for 1/1000th part of the grain to make your chosen portion. Then you start talking about creating a ''hell fire'' for the grain, sending your ''only son'' to be murdered in order to save the grain etc etc. All senseless...senseless...senseless.

There's NOT A CHANCE that the Creator of the universe wastes his energy on such absurd trivialities. Given the massive size of his Creation, we'd be lucky if he even thinks about us specifically.

When you look at sand on a beach do you think of one individual grain?
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Image123(m): 8:48am On Nov 21, 2012
Area_boy:

mate, I hope you are not serious. All you are doing here is confirming the god of the gaps idea.

I didn't even bother with all of them cos I know you guys are kingpins when it comes to out of context readings. when you read a text out of context to fortify your position, you have to realise that some other people might actually read it in context.

i"ll start from verse ten of your Isaiah text.. context context context

using fancy colours when you write doesn't make you correct undecided
kindly explain this esoteric context.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Delafruita(m): 9:34am On Nov 21, 2012
Richfella: @ Area_boy

and what makes you think a suckling infant is more valuable that a full-grown elephant?are you an elephant?if a mother elephant has to choose between her baby elephant and a suckling infant,will she discard her baby for a suckling infant?suckling infants are valuable to their mothers because they are of the same specie.a gorilla will pick its own before a human's.same as a goat,bird,chimpanzee,dog and every other animal no matter how small they may be.those anjimals you think are significant are actually complex in their own way.do humans have the intelligence to change colours like a chameleon does?can we produce spikes like a porcupine?can we produce defense mechanisms like almost all the animals do?you get it wrong when you think humans are the epitome of "creation" and all other animals are subservient to us.in the animal world,humans are just animals like the others

2 Likes

Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Image123(m): 9:51am On Nov 21, 2012
The intelligence to change colours, classic. Anything but God.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by truthislight: 4:08pm On Nov 21, 2012
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by truthislight: 4:09pm On Nov 21, 2012
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by truthislight: 4:10pm On Nov 21, 2012
Area_boy: I have a couple of pictures to give you a little perspective of how tiny and infinitesimal we are when it comes to the grand scale of things in the universe.

So before you go around saying we were "created in his image and likeness", put here to take care of the earth for "him" and then be judged on how we do it before returning back to heaven, I want you to consider the following pictures and ask yourself. WHY bother with so much else?

lets start from the smallest shall we? Although it is important to point out that pluto is no longer a planet. However, we can replace that with our moon since they are no much bigger than themselves, prolly 1/2

At this point, our little planet is still pulling its weight around the "big boys" or should i say the "rocky boys". Or is it?

welcome to the world of gas. With no solid surface to stand on, these balls of gas find it easier getting so big because well, gas expands and contracts much better than earth (rock) does

As big as they seem, compare them to our sun (the major gas giant we have in our solar system) and they are immediately puny in size

can u see us there? grin grin grin grin

Our sun is really big!! 90million kilometers away from us and 1.3million kilometers in diameter, it is BIG!!! But how does she measure up with some other biggies around the block? Not very well i'm afraid cry

That monster Arcturus is the 4th brightest star you see at night. Right behind Sirius (since Sirius is a lot closer to us it appears brighter)

Compared to my favourite star Betelgeuse smiley (you can actually see Betelgeuse with your naked eye at night) and his monster cousin Antares, Arcturus is a baby tongue

Tips on how to spot Betelgeuse: On any clear night sky, (if you're near the Equator like Nigeria, it wouldn't matter what time of the year) try to spot three stars in a straight line separated by a fingers length when u stretch your arms upwards (Usually called "the three kings" ). Try to align these three stars on one hand (preferably left) there will be four stars forming a rectangle around these three. The top left one with a reddish twinkle is Betelgeuse. and the bottom right one in the square is Rigel

As big as these stars get, they are really insignificant compared to our medium sized galaxy.

Finally, how many galaxies out there? seemingly just as many as the number of stars

everything you see there is a galaxy .

I ask the question one more time.

How significant do you think we are?
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 21, 2012
lol.... truthislight, wetin happen? grin
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by truthislight: 4:36pm On Nov 21, 2012
tpia1: could have been a nice and informative thread without the unnecessary vulgarity, and also if it were in science section.

why not try to do things occasionally in an objective manner, and without your pointless and fruitless attacks on christianity or whatever.

i had wanted to take the thread seriouse when i notice the "low ebb"
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by JeSoul(f): 4:37pm On Nov 21, 2012
tpia1: could have been a nice and informative thread without the unnecessary vulgarity, and also if it were in science section.

Word.
Re: How Insignificant/significant Are We? by Areaboy2(m): 4:46pm On Nov 21, 2012
truthislight:

i had wanted to take the thread seriouse when i notice the "low ebb"

clearly you had nothing important to say so you decided to quote the damn thing three times in a row.

If you guys are really honest, you'll ask yourselves the questions I pose and give an answer rather than trash the entire thread because it offers a different view from what you were all brought up to believe. Nonsense

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are Churches In Nigeria Always Casting Out Demons From Their Members / List Of End Of The World Predictions In The Last Two Centuries Alone / Creating From Nothing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.