Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:57 PM

Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum (36923 Views)

Chartered Statisticians And Statistician-general / Mathematicians' & Statisticians' Colloquium / Statisticians And Operations Research Analysts In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 7:11pm On Nov 21, 2012
Okay so to add more beef for those who care to read. I would start with Microsoft Access and Excel for beginners and here is the link to a free self-paced study if you have a reliable PC and internet connection. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/default.aspx

Next is a link for those who want to go into SAS. http://support.sas.com/training/analytics/

And now, to answer the somewhat arrogant one who says we are bragging. Everyday, i receive dozens of email from regulatory bodies, port inspection authorities, oligarchs in Russia who want to purchase ****** assets, London Met trying to track suspicious cargo, brokers, and many more. They want to get first hand info on data held on the world's largest ****** database. They want to know who own the asset, who chartered it, where it is going to and where it has been. Not surprising a few of the dodgy **** assets were heading to and from Nigeria.

So i pull up bulk data from my sources, arrange them on excel and extract the vital piece of info needed. But how do i know that the data is up-to-date? I need to do a lot of verification and all that sort of investigation. Next, a client wants to know the trend in the asset purchase market. I use Minitab to breakdown bulk data on assets sold, price, region it was sold, etc. I need to make the presentation easy for even a dummy to understand so i use Minitab for graphical displays and statistical analysis.

They want to pass the vital piece of info to Bloomberg or Reuters so they need a well written article. Now common sense comes handy and only then i realize its already 12pm. I have the American ******* department sending me a 20MB spreadsheet of new ***** just registered and another one from the Europa ******. Now i desperately need Access to structure the relational data. IT department sends out an email that the server is down and the gurus in India aren't able to sort it asap......... Get my flow? It isn't all about the software and tools cos sometimes you need the most basic manual approach and common sense to arrive at that all important Weekly/Monthly report that would be in all the international online news portal and surely with the US Dept of **** who sees every damn thing including this one am writing on nairaland. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by femiap: 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2012
Whao, am really surprised and at the same time happy a life impacting section like this is in existence.I work as an Analytics Consultant in one of the top banks here in the States,SAS is our main analytical tool though we use Microsoft SQL Server, OBIEE(Oracle0, SAP Business object, Crystal Reports.Analytics is the fastest growing IT sector in America at the moment and the demand for professionals is crazy here. Am really happy this section was created on Nairaland.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
VOLATILE MODELS: ARCH AND GARCH MODEL
A volatility model should be able to forecast volatility. Virtually all the financial uses of volatility models entail forecasting aspects of future returns. Typically a volatility model is used to forecast the absolute magnitude of returns, but it may also be used to predict quantiles or in fact, the entire density. Such forecasts are used in risk management, derivative pricing and hedging, market making, market timing, portfolio selection, and many other financial activities. In each, it is the predictability of volatility that is required. A risk manager must know today the likelihood that his portfolio will decline in the future. An option trader will want to know the volatility that can be expected over the future life of the contract. To hedge this contract he will also want to know how volatile is this forecast volatility. A portfolio manager may want to sell a stock or a portfolio before it becomes too volatile. A market maker may want to set the bid ask spread wider when the future is believed to be more volatile.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Burger01(m): 8:40pm On Nov 21, 2012
Damn! I am loving this thread. It's so good to a statistician..
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ibnquasale(m): 9:13pm On Nov 21, 2012
i am just coming on board and i av b looking for an opportunity for us to share knowledge and improve our data analysis skills.... this is a lovely field where practice makes perfect. and another beautiful thing here is that i see data analysis as a handy work, which means that u can set up a good company on ur own.... for me, my best tutor and best friend is GOOGLE grin grin grin grin grin... meanwhile, i am always ready to learn from the guru, so anyone who needs an apprentice can always call on me.....
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ibnquasale(m): 9:20pm On Nov 21, 2012
for those who need softwares, video tutorials and book, kindly
try piratebay dot org . thats my best
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by denzel2009: 9:22pm On Nov 21, 2012
AjanleKoko: Big Data - the new buzzword wink

Lool, we are still trying to get the hang of cloud, SaaS, PaaS et al.

To be a good data analyst, you must eat, drink and sleep databases and be a SME in ETL.

I think reporting tools such as crystal reports and Cognos are here to stay too.

Good thread sha!
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by esere826: 10:32pm On Nov 21, 2012
Can anyone give practical examples of Access database related projects and other analytics project. I have done quite a lot of training on many of the analytics tools, but would like some dummy projects modelled after real life scenarios.

I think if such simulations and project modelling are available, it would be as useful as an actual hands-on experience would be to everyone

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by 7thCANON: 11:10pm On Nov 21, 2012
First, thank you OP for starting this thread. Apart from the econometrics models, I have special interest in national planning models especially input-output models. Studying input-output models exposed me to the endemic nature of 'national planning with facts' in most developing countries.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ibnquasale(m): 11:38pm On Nov 21, 2012
nedu213:

IBM SPSS is quite easy compared to others. Connect to 292719F7 so I cn introduce u to a fast growing data analysis company in nigeria.

i am also interested pls....
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by abacus(m): 2:19am On Nov 22, 2012
My tools

MS SQL Server BI
Oracle BI
SAP BO
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Pacemaker: 5:26am On Nov 22, 2012
Great thread. Nigerians in the US that are undecided on what major to focus in for masters should embrace Analytics with speed. Four universities offer this program in the US for masters as i type and I am currently enrolled in USF masters program. Myself and one other Nigerian girl are the only Africans in such program in USF, I would like to see more of us . Data mining is the future and companies pay close to 140k salary for newly grad. I doubt if Nigeria is there yet but if our generation will be the ones that will use such tools I will be morethan happy to contribute to see it grow.....Happy Thanksgiving peeps.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 7:21am On Nov 22, 2012
Useful links on analytics industry.

http://www.analytics-magazine.org/

Pls contribute your own quota.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by candylips(m): 7:50am On Nov 22, 2012
Hadoop + Hive + Pig
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by fuckerxxx(m): 9:34am On Nov 22, 2012
Great Statisticians and Analysts!
I'm in my 300L in statistics. Please I would like u guyz to advice me on other extra skills I need to learn outside school to boost my analytic skills. I've advanced to some extent in SPSS and MINITAB anyways. But I think I need to know more. Ur advices needed plz....
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by 2sexy(m): 9:43am On Nov 22, 2012
Pacemaker: Great thread. Nigerians in the US that are undecided on what major to focus in for masters should embrace Analytics with speed. Four universities offer this program in the US for masters as i type and I am currently enrolled in USF masters program. Myself and one other Nigerian girl are the only Africans in such program in USF, I would like to see more of us . Data mining is the future and companies pay close to 140k salary for newly grad. I doubt if Nigeria is there yet but if our generation will be the ones that will use such tools I will be morethan happy to contribute to see it grow.....Happy Thanksgiving peeps.
Bro, how far. Thank God you have confirmed what I just said. Only a few Uni in the US offer this progragm.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by olaedo3087(f): 10:10am On Nov 22, 2012
fuckerxxx: Great Statisticians and Analysts!
I'm in my 300L in statistics. Please I would like u guyz to advice me on other extra skills I need to learn outside school to boost my analytic skills. I've advanced to some extent in SPSS and MINITAB anyways. But I think I need to know more. Ur advices needed plz....

Add 292719F7 to join d bbm data analyst forum. Ur enquiries wud b treated.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ishmael(m): 10:16am On Nov 22, 2012
samuelorija218: SPSS does it for me. The version 19 is slow in processing compared to some lower version of it. The input of the coded data value will make you bored if the data are much.
I thought i was the only one that experienced that. Versions 16, 17, & 18 are still ok to me.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ishmael(m): 10:20am On Nov 22, 2012
Dansadaumallam: Am happy that REAL discuss is back in NL. SPSS is one software that serious govt. officials must know how to use. I love this thread.
But do they care? All they know is how to steal and share public funds among themselves.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 22, 2012
The mission of this thread is to serve as an ANALYTICS CAPACITY BUILDING FORUM for professionals of shared interests.

We believe that lack of statistical information; weak analytical capability; lack of coordination between data producers and users; inadequate hardware; software; work procedures and human competencies are the greatest drawbacks to development in Nigeria. Hence, we are driven by the desire to re-orientate and advance the knowledge, practice, research and application of analytics to all aspects of human endeavour in Nigeria and beyond.

Contributions are welcomed!
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ibnquasale(m): 11:52am On Nov 22, 2012
ishmael: I thought i was the only one that experienced that. Versions 16, 17, & 18 are still ok to me.

version 20 is much better and it processor is robust
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ibnquasale(m): 12:07pm On Nov 22, 2012
software does it all for us these days, but i must strongly emphasis that every tom,dick and harry would be able to use all these software if they can invest their time .hence, what makes u better is what u have known as a statistician...

so, for me, the best place to start from is having a better understanding of ur statistical tools and techniques, know the appropriate statistical technique to use for a particular situation. the funny thing here is that these software would always give u answers irrespective of the technique u clicked on (whether appropriate technique or not)... and this could send u to jail; even some organisation are still paying damages till 2mrw becuase of the use of wrong statistical technique

therefore, to be a seasoned statistician, dust those old books, consults friends and even foes grin cheesy etc to build up ur understanding of the principles of statistical techniques for real life situation. Then start answering questions like when and where do i use regression analysis, whic of the regression analysis method is relevant to a particular situation etc

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ibnquasale(m): 12:14pm On Nov 22, 2012
if we truly want to help people here, let those that are working or running a statistical firm bring us in when they have jobs and we can humbly learn on the job even without pay... i did these a lot in school days, i was so concerned about what i want to learn and not the money because i sensed the need to prepare myself for the period when the jobs that will bring in the money is coming... i am still very much a learner, and i don't mind learning from d gurus in the hou

IN GOD I TRUST ALL OTHERS MUST BRING DATA cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by naijatoday: 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
I have a degree in accounting and I am really interested in being an analyst (business sector). I am interested in terms of crunching numbers (and more) for mergers, risk, etc. I just want to know if an advisory arm of an accounting firm (Big 4) is a place to start? I am also close to getting my ACCA certification.

Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ishmael(m): 2:23pm On Nov 22, 2012
ibnquasale: if we truly want to help people here, let those that are working or running a statistical firm bring us in when they have jobs and we can humbly learn on the job even without pay... i did these a lot in school days, i was so concerned about what i want to learn and not the money because i sensed the need to prepare myself for the period when the jobs that will bring in the money is coming... i am still very much a learner, and i don't mind learning from d gurus in the hou

IN GOD I TRUST ALL OTHERS MUST BRING DATA cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin
where are the statistical jobs in Nigeria? Even the govt don't want to invest in statistics.
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by 2sexy(m): 4:19pm On Nov 22, 2012
ishmael: where are the statistical jobs in Nigeria? Even the govt don't want to invest in statistics.
True talk... and where are the companies?
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by kaironons: 4:31pm On Nov 22, 2012
Pls can any one tell me if you use test of simultaneity instead of SARGAN test? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 22, 2012
To respond to the jobseekers. One invaluable advice is that you should use "google alerts" to find jobs. Basically, open a google account and setup an alert for jobs you are seeking. Keywords like "Assistant Researcher", "Data Analyst", Database Administrator, etc. should be your focus. Note, they should be in quotes so you get exact results.

Being the first to know when a job is advertised can give you an edge to apply. I shall come back to post links to adds for such jobs. Cheers cool

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by Burger01(m): 8:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
Hi all, can someone in the house enlighten us on the difference in terms of functions and professionalism between a Data Analyst and a Data Manager. What's the disparity and correlation if any between the two professions. Thank you Stat Nlanders..
Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ibnquasale(m): 11:00pm On Nov 22, 2012
ishmael: where are the statistical jobs in Nigeria? Even the govt don't want to invest in statistics.

This type of mindset is what is limiting us.... what is wrong in me and u, or any other person here starting a small statistical/quality control firm (as partners or individuals)?

Open ur eyes, look for quality control firms..... they need statisticians who know their jobs, not those who can use software alone.... the reason is because alot of chemical scientist, builders, estate manager can also use most of the software we use, but immediately u can "brain-wash" them and let them understand that you are a statistician with a difference, then u are good to go..... we can start by looking for quality control firms, and their quality consultant firms etc then after getting so many, we set out and talk to them... by the time we try 20, door go open by for nau

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Statisticians/Analysts Forum by ibnquasale(m): 1:10am On Nov 23, 2012
2sexy: True talk... and where are the companies?

oga, send details abt that ur stuff to ibnquasale@yahoo.com

thanks in advance

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality / 6 Exceptional Nigerians Who Work At Apple / Computer Science: Where Can I Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.