Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,730 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors (9587 Views)

Osas Ighodaro Stuns In Her Wedding Dress; Hubby Gbenro Ajibade Shaved His Dreads / Did Halima Abubakar Shade A Fan Who Made Mockery Of Her Dress On Instagram..see / Halima Abubakar:"I Wanted To Commit Suicide Because I Was Broke"(Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by MissyB3(f): 12:16am On Nov 22, 2012
"I was invited to participate in cancer awareness campaign by Waodiva and MTN. They did workshops on cancer, and a lot of survivors attended. I cried when I saw them. It was really shocking that people can go through that traumatic experience. I now decided to take off my hair as a way of honoring them. If you shave your hair, you understand better what it is. If you have someone that has gone through the ailment, you will understand what I am talking about. They normally cut their hair. Who doesn't want hair? Hair is every woman's glory. Shaving my hair is my own way of supporting the call against the dreaded disease." - Halima

[img]http://3.bp..com/-0uRaTx6OgH0/UKzx9ojgK4I/AAAAAAAA_OM/5VmjZ9dfr_o/s1600/hal.JPG[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by MissyB3(f): 12:19am On Nov 22, 2012
Like many have asked, how does this help? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by Nobody: 12:20am On Nov 22, 2012
Bleached head!
Ugly as fvck.
Take a look at the last pic!

1 Like

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by BluePinkee(f): 2:13am On Nov 22, 2012
Didn't even know about her shaving her hair. Who cares. Uncalled for explanation. Tschw grin
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by teniyi(m): 2:21am On Nov 22, 2012
I am anxiously waiting to see her changing her name, that name does not fit her anymore.
I suggest, Hamilton Barbra!.

3 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by miteolu(m): 9:27am On Nov 22, 2012
Who is she?
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by MissyB3(f): 9:29am On Nov 22, 2012
miteolu: Who is she?
Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar's 10th wife

2 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by hydoo(m): 9:46am On Nov 22, 2012
Dr gudluck ebele jonathan azikwe cabinet
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by Catchfire1: 10:12am On Nov 22, 2012
This is the second thread created for this lady woman and i still don't know who she is.

Halima Abukabar, kedu onye e bu?
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by Sashd: 10:25am On Nov 22, 2012
I was invited to sokoto for a sharia section,i felt so bad seeing people with 1 arm,1 leg,2 legs no arm,so am goin to amputate my 2 arms to honour dem,who knows i could be a naija diamond

2 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by BelloDare: 10:30am On Nov 22, 2012
Giraffe saw camel with load for back and said.............
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by andy24(m): 10:38am On Nov 22, 2012
cheesy
Missy_B:
Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar's 10th wife
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by ziondaughter: 10:54am On Nov 22, 2012
If u dont have good comments to make u guys should just ignore or go n sleep.

1 Like

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by doubleincome: 11:33am On Nov 22, 2012
u must nt comment if u have notin gud to say,i tink its a gud tin psychologically
so dat dey will not feel left alone
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by Busybody2(f): 11:36am On Nov 22, 2012
Missy_B: Like many have asked, how does this help? undecided

Its usually an in-your-face wake up call to one to create further awareness to one of the greatest killers in the world and to jolt people outta their reverie that it can strike and happen to anyone anytime so people should start paying more attention to their health and diet and environment.

4 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by McBab: 11:47am On Nov 22, 2012
This is why the country can not develop! The people she is hoping to impact on are too thick skinned to get the point.
In many countries, people do stuff like this to keep the campaign at the top of government agenda. I remember George Clooney making himself to be arrested to raise awareness about the humanitarian crises in Sudan. The media coverage from that incident significantly increased donations to the cause in the following days.

The difference between developed nations and Nigeria is that in the former, people apply creativity to solve problems, and get public attention, or even encourage sufferers of ailments. In Nigeria, people with no contribution to make whatsoever make fun of these sorts of campaigns. They never see the serious side of the issues until a close friend, a relative, or themselves become sufferers of the ailment(s). Ignorance is indeed bliss for such people.

4 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by MissyB3(f): 12:04pm On Nov 22, 2012
Busy_body:

Its usually an in-your-face wake up call to one to create further awareness to one of the greatest killers in the world and to jolt people outta their reverie that it can strike and happen to anyone anytime so people should start paying more attention to their health and diet and environment.
I still can't seem to fathom how Halima shaving her head helps the cancer victims get/feel better or any other individual more cautious of their body, habits and health.
I mean, why should I be (more) awakened by the sight of a Halima who voluntarily decided to shave her head than that of a cancer victim who helplessly had her hair fall off due to a situation beyond her control? Why should I, as a victim, feel better or honored seeing a bald healthy woman? Your smile, presence, kind words, understanding, helping hand, money etc will be more helpful.
Point is, there are effective ways of reaching out, this doesn't seem to be one of 'em.

This is either a poor facade of sensitiveness or a simple act of foolishness. . .Either way, it's a not-so-well-thought-out action.

McBab: This is why the country can not develop! The people she is hoping to impact on are too thick skinned to get the point.
In many countries, people do stuff like this to keep the campaign at the top of government agenda. I remember George Clooney making himself to be arrested to raise awareness about the humanitarian crises in Sudan. The media coverage from that incident significantly increased donations to the cause in the following days.

The difference between developed nations and Nigeria is that in the former, people apply creativity to solve problems, and get public attention, or even encourage sufferers of ailments. In Nigeria, people with no contribution to make whatsoever make fun of these sorts of campaigns. They never see the serious side of the issues until a close friend, a relative, or themselves become sufferers of the ailment(s). Ignorance is indeed bliss for such people.
The ignorance does actually lie with those on the other side of the divide.. . . Maybe you should prove otherwise by answering these questions - How does this help? Assuming it does help, should/will Halima continuously shave her head for as long as there are cancer victims having their hair fall out due to chemotherapy?

2 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by chechu(f): 12:29pm On Nov 22, 2012
kudos
Mc bab you said it all..... Nigerians never appreciate anything
cos of their already hardened minds.... may the Lord help this country
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by MeGaStReEt: 1:28pm On Nov 22, 2012
Money to do hair no dey

1 Like

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by McBab: 1:49pm On Nov 22, 2012
Missy_B:
I still can't seem to fathom how Halima shaving her head helps the cancer victims get/feel better or any other individual more cautious of their body, habits and health.
I mean, why should I be (more) awakened by the sight of a Halima who voluntarily decided to shave her head than that of a cancer victim who helplessly had her hair fall off due to a situation beyond her control? Why should I, as a victim, feel better or honored seeing a bald healthy woman? Your smile, presence, kind words, understanding, helping hand, money etc will be more helpful.
Point is, there are effective ways of reaching out, this doesn't seem to be one of 'em.

This is either a poor facade of sensitiveness or a simple act of foolishness. . .Either way, it's a not-so-well-thought-out action.

The ignorance does actually lie with those on the other side of the divide.. . . Maybe you should prove otherwise by answering these questions - How does this help? Assuming it does help, should/will Halima continuously shave her head for as long as there are cancer victims having their hair fall out due to chemotherapy?

Did you read the George Clooney part of my post? Tell me what does his getting arrested have to do with Sudan? That's why I said creativity is involved! People solve problems by taking actions that seemingly have no link to the problem! For example, we are now talking about cancer because of the 'silly' thing that the lady did. There may be someone somewhere that will suddenly remember that lump in her br**st and go for screening. There may be some patient who will become energised from knowing that cancer is just another disease that can inflict any one, and cease having self-pity! The world over people have used celebrity power to make BIG things happen. It is only in Naija that most celebrities think that their status only gives them a license to do negative things like imprenating many different women, for example.

And to your question about if she will continue shaving her head. I think we should analyse situations in contexts. She shaved her head in honour of an invitation from a cancer interest group. Should she continue shaving her head forever? Hell NO! There are 150 million Nigerians who also have a responsibilty to create awareness about cancer or other health issues. Halima has done her part. You too should do your part. You have missed that opportunity by ridiculing her efforts.

6 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by MissyB3(f): 2:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
McBab:

Did you read the George Clooney part of my post? Tell me what does his getting arrested have to do with Sudan?
Are you really comparing George's case to this? undecided
This lady did not cut her hair and donate it for wig making for those who lost their hair due to medical conditions, she did not donate a sum of her money to encourage research, she did not initiate a cancer awareness program nor did she encourage fundraising . . .She simply shaved her head. To honor cancer victims? Like, how? How's she more ''creative'' (as you put it) or paying more honor to the victims than Amber Rose to whom it's just a lovely hairstyle?

George left his comfort zone to protest, now that's some effective course of action. His motive could have been to motivate people to do likewise. What is Halima's? Do we all shave our heads so as to ''honor'' the victims? Would she/we continuously shave our heads for as long as they are bald? If not, knowing that ''honoring'' them is that important to their well-being, why honor them shortly, it should be a thing of forever, no?

The question still remains - How does Halima's hairstyle help the victims and/or potential victims?
As earlier said, there are tons of ways to reach out, this isn't one of 'em.

There may be someone somewhere that will suddenly remember that lump in her br**st and go for screening.
Please, there are a good number of cancer awareness programs out there, the message is being passed across everyday and it is usually presented in a captivating manner. . .If you do not listen to those voices and words, you very much likely won't listen to the non-existent message Halima's extraordinarily round head is passing across either.

1 Like

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by McBab: 2:31pm On Nov 22, 2012
Missy_B:
Are you really comparing George's situation to this? undecided
This lady did not cut her hair and donate it for wig making for those who lost their hair due to medical conditions, she did not donate a sum of her money to encourage research, she did not initiate a cancer awareness program nor did she encourage fundraising . . .She simply shaved her head. To honor cancer victims? Like, how? How's she more ''creative'' (as you put it) or paying more honor to the victims than Amber Rose to whom it's just a lovely hairstyle?

George left his comfort zone to protest, now that's some effective course of action. His motive could have been to motivate people to do likewise. What is Halima's? Do we all shave our heads so as to ''honor'' the victims? Would she/we continuously shave our heads for as long as they are bald? If not, knowing that ''honoring'' them is that important to their well-being, why honor them shortly, it should be a thing of forever, no?

The question still remains - How does Halima's hairstyle help the victims and/or potential victims?
As earlier said, there are tons of ways to reach, this isn't one of 'em.

Please, there are a good number of cancer awareness programs out there, the message is being passed across everyday and it is usually presented in a captivating manner. . .If you do not listen to those voices and words, you very much likely won't listen to the non-existent message Halima's extraordinarily round head is passing across either.
MissyB, because you are a lady, I will refrain from arguing further. There is no point in doing so. I am actually shocked that you do not see parallels between Halima's move and Clooney's. I will end by paraphrasing Al Pope's famous quote; the lack of imagination is a dangerous thing. Hold on to your native views and continue to resist every alternative opinion. It will serve you as well as it is serving the North Koreans. I am out!

2 Likes

Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by AGgal(f): 2:37pm On Nov 22, 2012
Nigerians n bad mouth! I so luv nairaland,i visit it wen i want to have a gud laugh. Hahahahahaha
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by MissyB3(f): 3:00pm On Nov 22, 2012
McBab:
MissyB, because you are a lady, I will refrain from arguing further. There is no point in doing so. I am actually shocked that you do not see parallels between Halima's move and Clooney's. I will end by paraphrasing Al Pope's famous quote; the lack of imagination is a dangerous thing. Hold on to your native views and continue to resist every alternative opinion. It will serve you as well as it is serving the North Koreans. I am out!
Have a good day! smiley
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by chacha3(f): 4:21pm On Nov 22, 2012
Just passing
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by yollychika(f): 6:24pm On Nov 22, 2012
cool[color=#006600][/color]No cause 4 alarm cos after diZ event/day da wig sellers go gain pass
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by hurlapapa(m): 7:15pm On Nov 22, 2012
Even Yaw open mouth afta seeing aw ugly she is grin (d 2nd pic)
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by EmmaTay(m): 7:32pm On Nov 22, 2012
Nice move
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by abohrandy: 8:09pm On Nov 22, 2012
MeGaStReEt: Money to do hair no dey

God bless you, u just sed ma mind!!! wait oh how does dis really help at all? and how did it even make the news? who b dis chick sef?
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by buchibabe: 8:27pm On Nov 22, 2012
Is dat lakpalapa I'm seeing on her head She luks like a widow
Re: Halima Abubakar - I Shaved My Head To Honour Cancer Survivors by Busybody2(f): 8:50pm On Nov 22, 2012
Missy_B:

IN addition to Mcbab's contribution, it is a sacrificial giving kinda thing, it has been happening a lot in the Western world for yonks, and it has an impressive track record with celebrities knocking themselves out to partake in such, so i guess Nigeria is just catchimg up to it. Some people volunteer to run marathons, some go bungee jumping, some climb mountains, some shave off locks of their hair, some dye their hair a funny colour, or do whatever floats their boats... This is done in conjunction with Cancer and other charities to promote their cause so how can it be an insensitive thing to do, and it attracts financial donations too in addition to the awareness it creates :-/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pat Attah's Looks / Woman’s Breast Implant Explodes While Dancing (PHOTOS) / Unknown Facts Behind Ashlee White Biography — Theophilus Sunday Wife From Jamaic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.