Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,135 members, 7,807,441 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

What's Wrong With African Religions? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's Wrong With African Religions? (10248 Views)

Poll: Which religions do you prefer?

African Religions: 62% (31 votes)
Foreign Religions: 38% (19 votes)
This poll has ended

15 Facts On African Religions / Did African Religions Need To Be Substituted? / Should African Religions Be Preserved? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Wrong With African Religions? by ces: 8:44pm On Feb 07, 2008
I have always wondered why it is so easy for us Africans to embrace Christianity.

We aren't the only colonized people, the Asians have managed to hold on to their religions and languages( which makes up most of our identity) and some how Nigerians have only disdain for the old ways.

I met a man recently and when he said he wasn't Christian but follows the old ways (ancestors et al) my first reaction was wary. Now I wonder why.

Right now I'm in Brazil for the carnival and couldn't be more impressed. if the slaves with all they went through, found ways to hide their worship till this day, what does it say of us?

Our movies haven't helped matters as all traditionalists are evil.

Please, this is supposed to be a civilized discussion not why Christianity is the only way. To each her own.

1 Like

Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by Nobody: 2:54am On Feb 08, 2008
Exactly to each his own. If you Ces wants to worship sango ati ifa go ahead. I'll give you some tips. Bath yourself with chalk, make sure you rub the chalk round your eyes well, carry your staff, tie your regalia and chant your incartations-- Babalawo to ba fe ki ifa, cheesy As for stillwater, Jesus the Messiah is who I will follow. tongue cheesy kiss
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by bawomol(m): 3:31am On Feb 08, 2008
christianity practiced today was influenced by egyptian and greek pagan practices.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by Nobody: 3:42am On Feb 08, 2008
The one that was practiced before, how was it like? cheesy
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by justcool(m): 3:44am On Feb 08, 2008
Ces the problem is that neither side knew what they where doing. Some of our forefathers sold everything they had, including their brothers, their sons and daughters, and their ways of life to the missionaries who came under the false guise of bringing the knowledge of God. They brought an already corrupted religion. They ostensibly brought the knowledge of God but actually they were colonizing in order to increase the wealth of their countries and ways of life.
True Christianity is not a religion, it only a way of life. It doesn't demand that one should abandon his culture or religion. True Christianity will only make one renovate his culture IE- remove the bad practices. But branding ones culture totally evil and of the devil while at the same time comanding or tricking them into accepting yours is not true Christianity.
Christ never asked anybody to change his religion, neither did he start any religion.

If the so called missionaries(colonial masters) had the right Christianity, and if our fore fathers were wise, both sides would have learned from each other. Our fathers should have seen in Christianity the love and acceptance which will make them stop some of their bad practices like the killing of things. At the same time they should have had to freedom to continue with their own culture and develop it in a God pleasing way. Not abandoning their culture and becoming catholics and protestants, and learning a foreign language rather than their own.

If we had done this, like some Asian cultures, we would have developed our culture to a greater level today. Our understanding of God and life would have been better. Our actions would have been better, and our languages should have been more developed. We would have been able to command more respect from the rest of the world than we do now.

Today we are nothing but caricatures, neither truly European nor truly African. How can we better our country this way? The colonial masters intentionally made use this way, so that they will never have to share the world power with us. We will remain too busy trying to be like the whiteman; thats what we think progress is.

The answer to your question is:
The only thing wrong with African Religions is Africans themselves who abandoned their religion to the devil and accepted foreign ones
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by TCUBE(m): 5:36am On Feb 08, 2008
whats wrong? are u kidding me
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by dafidixone(m): 10:22am On Feb 08, 2008
have always wondered why it is so easy for us Africans to embrace Christianity. We aren't the only colonized people, the Asians have managed to hold on to their religions and languages( which makes up most of our identity) and some how Nigerians have only disdain for the old ways. I met a man recently and when he said he wasn't Christian but follows the old ways (ancestors et al) my first reaction was wary. Now i wonder why.Right now i'm in Brazil for the carnival and couldn't be more impressed. if the slaves with all they went through, found ways to hide their worship till this day, what does it say of us? Our movies haven't helped matters as all traditionalists are evil. Please this is supposed to be a civilized discussion not why Christianity is the only way and bla bla
To each her own.

I like you undertand that religion is away of life and away sure way to hereafter.

Any religion that negate a peaceful way of life and regards not human life (I mean that teaches killing of Human being(s) for whatsoever reason) is not a true religion.

I have studied a lot about the so called traditional religion (Special emphasis on Ifa) and also basics of other religion( e.g Islam,Hare Krisna e.t.c), then I have to stick to Christianity because it is a sure way of life. grin
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by RDynamite(f): 11:08am On Feb 08, 2008
TCUBE:

whats wrong? are u kidding me

LMAO! I thought I was the only one puzzled embarassed
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by wisemaster(m): 11:11am On Feb 08, 2008
The Simple truth is that 'whatever comes from "Above" is above all'. Christianity is from above.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by Albato(m): 11:21am On Feb 08, 2008
There is a difference between religious beliefs and the culture of a place. People have combined/confused the two in Africa with the result that even our way of dressing, eating and doing things have now been classed as "unholy". Absolute stupidity if you ask me. A whole tradition that survived for hundreds of years before the first white man came to Africa is now paganism and "coming not from above". Its a shame some of us cannot even speak our native dialect without adding English.
What is wrong with Afrcan Religion? Its been abused and grossly misrepresented.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by RDynamite(f): 11:36am On Feb 08, 2008
Sweet Lord! Please, what's "African religion" and "Foreign religion"? embarassed
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by parislomo(f): 11:41am On Feb 08, 2008
Stillwater I kinda like your response. Hilarious I most say.
Well, African Traditional Religion (ATR), formed a major part of my electives in the Uni; and I observed the all course was taught from a defensive angle (still wondering why).
But as for me and my house we will worship God and we strongly believe in the messiah called JESUS.
I never was a part of religion-transfer anyway. So bless the Lord oh my soul.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by sayso: 11:49am On Feb 08, 2008
If your origin is Africa Pls stand up and be counted.Obama is doing it with great force.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by edatika(m): 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2008
Albato:

There is a difference between religious beliefs and the culture of a place. People have combined/confused the two in Africa with the result that even our way of dressing, eating and doing things have now been classed as "unholy". Absolute stupidity if you ask me. A whole tradition that survived for hundreds of years before the first white man came to Africa is now paganism and "coming not from above". Its a shame some of us cannot even speak our native dialect without adding English.
What is wrong with Afrcan Religion? Its been abused and grossly misrepresented.

i quite agree with you.

we say christianity is frm above?
when did christianity start?
how did the early christians worship?
how did Jesus christ worship his father?
howdo the Isrealites (Jews) worship till date?

mind you, i'm a christian
before you start thinking otherwise.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by conda00410(m): 12:27pm On Feb 08, 2008
The truth still remains that, the white man came with his religion and forced it on us. over the years we embraced it in the course of civilization, we dropped our ways of life and adopt the white mans means of life in the name of colonization.
But the fact is our fore fathers that worship there local gods had there prayers answer, they still find fulfillment in there lifetime compare to what we get this days.
Christianity and Arab Religion are both foreign religion that both contradict in some aspect, same as our traditional religions. Am sure a Moslem can point to more than one default in Christianity, same vice versa, so nobody can say his religion is superior to the other.
As far as am concern, your personal belief should hold more ground than religion.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by ahmed002: 12:34pm On Feb 08, 2008
Is the Navy short service course out? Please let me know. I want to apply for the course.

send me a e-mail: olaahmed002@yahoo.com or call 07028006068.

On your question, you must be a graduate and must have completed ur NYSC B4 u can apply. Sorry bro wait for ur time.

Thank you.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by ahmed002: 12:34pm On Feb 08, 2008
Is the Navy short service course out? Please let me know. I want to apply for the course.

On your question, you must be a graduate and must have completed ur NYSC B4 u can apply. Sorry bro wait for ur time.

Thank you.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by mazaje(m): 12:56pm On Feb 08, 2008
ahmed002:

On your question, you must be a graduate and must have completed your NYSC B4 u can apply. Sorry bro wait for your time.

Thank you.

You don miss road abi na wetin be dis?
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by oziomatv(m): 12:59pm On Feb 08, 2008
na im I bi wan sey.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by oziomatv(m): 1:06pm On Feb 08, 2008
Am still to find out the usefulness of religion if not for war, disunity, oppression, cheating to crown it all BLIND FOLDING.
AM STILL BELIEVING ON MY IGBO MYTHOLOGY.

CHRIST THIS MOHAMED THAT are all bull shit.

As an african living in europe and discovered the secret behind Christianity I'll never follow their path any more.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by jintujinta(m): 1:09pm On Feb 08, 2008
What is wrong with African Traditional Religion is that it has many gods; god of thunder, god of iron, river goddess, god of divination, etc. Too many gods cause confusion, no focus.

The gods demand blood. Blood of human beings. Blood of the innocent. What a god to worship! Despicable!

Everything is wrong with it!
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by Gwazah(m): 1:22pm On Feb 08, 2008
@post.
if not for the coming of Christianity where u would have been is only God would have know.
is either they would have sacrifices u for their gods now.
what kind of worship that requires blood not of Ram nor Goat or any of the domestic animals but human.
not the god of neat but dirty, making u to wear dirty clothe rub ashes on ur body, not to wear harmless clothe but harmful (snake skin or camel, or leopard skin)
throwing thunders at bothers hood.

not training children in schools but training them how to inherit the will of the gods
don't u know is the coming of christianity that makes u to school?
don't u know is the coming of christianity that send u to school & the school has killed the blight of superstitious believe in u?
why our culture that most requires if a renounce man died they should buried him with a young guy.
why killing life soul for the dead.
alot is to talk just forget this ur thread is no sense!
i swear.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by kolaoloye(m): 1:48pm On Feb 08, 2008
THE RELIGION HAS NO PROVISION FOR GRACE AND FORGIVENESS.
IT LACKS VISION, LACKS ETERNAL MENTALITY,LACKS MANY THINGS.
IT DOES NOT GLORIFY THE CREATOR OF THE HEAVENS AND THE
EARTH.
PLEAAAAAAAAAAASE JUST 4GET IT.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by basorunZ(m): 2:05pm On Feb 08, 2008
Hi all,

its really made a great reading about this debates on Afcrican Religion.
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong in African Religion. Nothing whatsoever!
The problem is Africans themselves, always wanting something that does not belong to them. We are very quick at accepting anything that promises us whatever we want.

It is completely wrong to think that all African religion teaches evil or are evil. To say that is perhaps due to all the misconceptions we get from the media, or lack of knowledge of what a frue African religion is!
If you look closely at everything christia, it has all old paganism written all over it! the catholics claim Africans worship stautes, well tell me what the staute os christ and the image of mary represents.

In truth, the African religion, as it is, in not different from any other religion.
Ifa never preached destruction or war, being a sango worshipper does not say you have to destroy your community, far from it! These religions preached hamony and peace among neighbours.

Africans have a problem that they prefer, as we have seen it, whatever is foreign. Its shows in our ways of life, in our dressing, in our food. In Africa today, anyone will choose a whiteman over a black man; We just most of the time feel inferior!

Living in Europe does have lots of advantage, in the sense that they, unlike us, are open minded! You are able to ask questions you dread to ask Africans. No one will bother your life even when you claim you don believe in God. Dare say in Nigeria that you doubt the existence of God, hell will let loose.

Someone mentioned that there are too many gods in African religion, what do you call the saints in christainity, what are all the prophets in Islam?

Until we Africans start cherishing what is ours, start believing in what we have, start embracing what is good in Africa, instead of allowing others to tell us what is not good in us, we will keep being the backward race!!

There is nothing wrong in african religion, there is nothing wrong in African culture, Embrace what is good, purify what is bad!!!
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by Nellyf: 2:08pm On Feb 08, 2008
The truth is that Christianity is a way of life and not a religion. That's why people like Edatika can claim to be christians and ask some funny questions. It's a perfect way that teaches that LOVE is the Supreme. It tells you to do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. That's all.

Now, the African religion is not like that because it  tells you to bring someone for sacrifice but you wouldn't like to be sacrifriced. It tells you to maltreat a widow as if she killed her husband. It doesn't know the word mercy or grace.

Its a matter of CHOICE.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by basorunZ(m): 2:23pm On Feb 08, 2008
Nellyf:

Now, the African religion is not like that because it tells you to bring someone for sacrifice but you wouldn't like to be sacrifriced. It tells you to maltreat a widow as if she killed her husband. It doesn't know the word mercy or grace.

Its a matter of CHOICE.

Nelly,

As much as I completly agree with you that christainity is a way of life, every way of life, like the African religion way of life, has its shortcomings,

You are siting African religion asking for human sacrifice, I think we take too many things we see in movies as reality!, and while we are on this, how do youy explain all the killings that took place during the crusade, what about all the witch burning in europe all in the name of christainity? Does christainity not teach and accept slavery? Are women not subjugated in christain religion?

Its all in the bible. that is documented.
Ifa religion never asked anyone to be sacrified! God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son!

Exodus Chapter 11:5 And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.

And you say christainity is just?
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by wedu01(m): 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2008
Nothing wrong with our faith It is lack of exposure that lag us behind. African religion is the best, The foreign religion is a borrowed faith, If we african can educate ourself on the local religion we shall rank high aboive those white people religion; Becasue of our illiiteracy and poverty they easily sold us their political religion , sebi we know the history. Do you know Jesus Christ is an african.? Those white peole are jeolousy of we africans. They have blindfoled our 4father by deliberately sold their culture and merschandise for them. Do u know that this oyinbo people are still call us monkey. if we annoyed them. I have respect for african religion. Let educate our self to do research of all our 4fathers; and about old method of medicine, cure and cultureof our people.
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by jagunlabi(m): 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2008
Basorun,you have said it all!Touche!
basorunZ:

Hi all,

its really made a great reading about this debates on Afcrican Religion.
In my opinion, there is nothing wrong in African Religion. Nothing whatsoever!
The problem is Africans themselves, always wanting something that does not belong to them. We are very quick at accepting anything that promises us whatever we want.

It is completely wrong to think that all African religion teaches evil or are evil. To say that is perhaps due to all the misconceptions we get from the media, or lack of knowledge of what a frue African religion is!
If you look closely at everything christia, it has all old paganism written all over it! the catholics claim Africans worship stautes, well tell me what the staute os christ and the image of mary represents.

In truth, the African religion, as it is, in not different from any other religion.
Ifa never preached destruction or war, being a sango worshipper does not say you have to destroy your community, far from it! These religions preached hamony and peace among neighbours.

Africans have a problem that they prefer, as we have seen it, whatever is foreign. Its shows in our ways of life, in our dressing, in our food. In Africa today, anyone will choose a whiteman over a black man; We just most of the time feel inferior!

Living in Europe does have lots of advantage, in the sense that they, unlike us, are open minded! You are able to ask questions you dread to ask Africans. No one will bother your life even when you claim you don believe in God. Dare say in Nigeria that you doubt the existence of God, hell will let loose.

Someone mentioned that there are too many gods in African religion, what do you call the saints in christainity, what are all the prophets in The Great Religion?

Until we Africans start cherishing what is ours, start believing in what we have, start embracing what is good in Africa, instead of allowing others to tell us what is not good in us, we will keep being the backward race!!

There is nothing wrong in african religion, there is nothing wrong in African culture, Embrace what is good, purify what is bad!!!

The indoctrination is still pretty strong in the new african generation.Still very effective.
basorunZ:

Nelly,

As much as I completly agree with you that christainity is a way of life, every way of life, like the African religion way of life, has its shortcomings,

You are siting African religion asking for human sacrifice, I think we take too many things we see in movies as reality!, and while we are on this, how do youy explain all the killings that took place during the crusade, what about all the witch burning in europe all in the name of christainity? Does christainity not teach and accept slavery? Are women not subjugated in christain religion?

Its all in the bible. that is documented.
Ifa religion never asked anyone to be sacrified! God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son!

Exodus Chapter 11:5 And all the firstborn in the land of Egypt shall die, from the first born of Pharaoh that sitteth upon his throne, even unto the firstborn of the maidservant that is behind the mill; and all the firstborn of beasts.

And you say christainity is just?
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by EOA(m): 3:26pm On Feb 08, 2008
There is no African god/religion/diety that does not emphasise the worship of satan. I have considered many, and in practise they direct one to worship (Appease) satan. The understanding is that God did not create man to worship the devil, the command is that "we should resist the devil". Search for yourself and you will find this to be true
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by jagunlabi(m): 3:29pm On Feb 08, 2008
Excuse me,but this is nonsensical.How much knowledge do you have of african religions to make such blanket negative assertions?
Most probably none whatsoever.
EOA:

There is no African god/religion/diety that does not emphasise the worship of satan. I have considered many, and in practise they direct one to worship (Appease) satan. The understanding is that God did not create man to worship the devil, the command is that "we should resist the devil". Search for yourself and you will find this to be true
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by EOA(m): 3:40pm On Feb 08, 2008
@ jagunlabi,

Mention any that does not request that satan be appeased
Re: What's Wrong With African Religions? by basorunZ(m): 3:51pm On Feb 08, 2008
EOA:

@ jagunlabi,

Mention any that does not request that satan be appeased

Hmm,

Give unto Ceaser what is to Ceaser, I think there is more meaning to that statement,

And I thought the entire christain religion is base upon God sacrificing his own son. To appease what??
To wipe away our sins, which Satan made Eve commit. Or else why was Jesus sacrificed??

This is of course to trivialize things. But if we are discussing on face value, please explain why God sacrificed Jesus,

Read Romans 3:25:
"Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

God Is Good, He Has Done Me Well, / Don't Name Your Kids Shadrach, Meshach And Abednego / Grace : The Power Of The Gospel - Andrew Wommack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.