Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,891 members, 7,806,597 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers (514 Views)

Horrifying Brutality Of Pro-morsy Protesters In Egypt - Killing POLICE!!! / Breaking News- Egyptian Military Overthrows Morsy / Army Gives Egypt's President A 48-hour Notice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by Siga: 2:18am On Nov 23, 2012
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy has issued an order preventing any court from overturning his decisions, essentially allowing him to run the country unchecked until a new constitution is drafted, his spokesman announced on state TV Thursday.

Morsy also ordered retrials and reinvestigations in the deaths of protesters during last year's uprising against strongman Hosni Mubarak. That could lead to the reprosecution of Mubarak, currently serving a life prison term, and several acquitted officials who served under him.

To read more :http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/22/world/meast/egypt-morsy-powers/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

The question remains.....is President Morsy going to be another Mubarak?
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by Nobody: 5:36am On Nov 23, 2012
Hipocrites...jst lyk the Libyan rebels. It pains me dat AU aint doing anything to check diz western xcesses. 1st 2 commen...
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by k2039: 6:05am On Nov 23, 2012
Another dictator in the making who is already drunk with power
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by ochukoccna: 9:53am On Nov 23, 2012
k2039: Another dictator in the making who is already drunk with power
True that
When someone belongs to a party called the Moslem Brotherhood, is it not an Islamic agenda he'll pursue embarassed embarassed
All the acclaimed Arab Spring did was push Islamists into the foreground from the background
Look @ Libya and Algeria too angry angry
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by ektbear: 11:27am On Nov 23, 2012
ochukoccna:
True that
When someone belongs to a party called the Moslem Brotherhood, is it not an Islamic agenda he'll pursue embarassed embarassed
All the acclaimed Arab Spring did was push Islamists into the foreground from the background
Look @ Libya and Algeria too angry angry

+1

I guess the Western world knew what they were doing by backing strongmen like Mubarak in the past. The alternative seems to be worse.

Democracy is a good idea in theory, but bad in practice when the electorate can't be trusted to make good decisions.
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by seanet01: 11:50am On Nov 23, 2012
ekt_bear:

+1

I guess the Western world knew what they were doing by backing strongmen like Mubarak in the past. The alternative seems to be worse.

Democracy is a good idea in theory, but bad in practice when the electorate can't be trusted to make good decisions.
Hypocrite. So you actually do not want Egyptians to have their way because they are not going to do your biddings? The era of Neo colonialism is coming to an end. Let everybody mind his or her business. Egyptians are happy with Morsi simple
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by Nobody: 12:06pm On Nov 23, 2012
seanet01: Hypocrite. So you actually do not want Egyptians to have their way because they are not going to do your biddings? The era of Neo colonialism is coming to an end. Let everybody mind his or her business. Egyptians are happy with Morsi simple

happy ?
ppl from that area keep revolving around like ball, so confused bunch of edddiot. give them another few years and you will see how happy they are by overthrowing the govt and then the new guy will bring real dictatorship then another 10 -15 yrs the citizen will arm up against themselves and claim they fighting western powers or maybe then it will br eastern powers china lol.. Its just sad that their mentality lived in some nigeruans.
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by ektbear: 12:19pm On Nov 23, 2012
seanet01: Hypocrite. So you actually do not want Egyptians to have their way because they are not going to do your biddings? The era of Neo colonialism is coming to an end. Let everybody mind his or her business. Egyptians are happy with Morsi simple

Well, democracy there doesn't seem to serve my own interests...so I'm not sure why I should be rooting for it in Egypt or the Arab world more generally.

Btw, are you sure that Egyptians are happy that he has given himself nearly supreme powers in the country? I doubt this is what they wanted when they initially voted for him...
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by Arosa(m): 12:21pm On Nov 23, 2012
It's a shame that the Arab spring is all in vain, this is like jumping from frying pan to fire. Sad!
Re: Egypt's President Morsy Gives Himself New Powers by Siga: 12:29pm On Nov 23, 2012
What amazes me is how fast this Morsi guy sprung into action and gave himself ultimate power....now, he can kill all his critics without any question....steal all the foreign aid money....will Africa come out well with all these guys ruling....

(1) (Reply)

Hillary Clinton In Hospital With Blood Clot After Fall / Iran Willing To Resume Nuclear Talks With World Powers / France Advises Expats To Quit Mali, Prepares For Military Action

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.