Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack (13254 Views)

Akiolu Slams Obasanjo, Denies Endorsing Buhari / PDP Governors Prostrate For Obasanjo Over Jonathan / NLC Boss Slams Buhari, Obasanjo Over Muslim-muslim Ticket Row (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by Idokojimmy: 6:57am On Nov 23, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan got a big backer yesterday in his row with former President Olusegun Obasanjo over the government’s approach to the Boko Haram insurgency.
To former Head of State Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Obasanjo’s criticism of the Jonathan administration’s handling of Boko Haram is “highly irresponsible”.

The doyen of accounting, Mr. Akintola Williams, also lashed out at Obasanjo.
Both spoke in Lagos on the sideline at the launch of a book, “Stay at the top”, authored by a fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountant of Nigeria (ICAN), Mr. Omoniyi Komolafe.
Other eminent Nigerians at the book launch included the Head of the Interim National Government, Chief Ernest Shonekan, the former Chief Medical Director, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Prof. Samuel Olowe, the Vice Chancellor of Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU), Prof. Sola Fajana and representatives of Lagos, Osun and Ogun governors.

Speaking to The Nation, Gen. Gowon said: “Obasanjo is highly irresponsible to have made such comments about the present government.
“Many people have condemned what he (Obasanjo) did in Odi and Zaki Biam.
So, it was irresponsible for him to defend it or accuse the present administration.”

Gen. Gowon urged Nigerians to support the government so that the current challenges can be tackled collectively.
He said: “I know people are concerned about the security situation in the country, but I can assure you that the government is doing everything possible to tackle the situation.
“I remember during my time as Head of State, when we also had grave challenges. Some people said it was impossible to unite Nigeria and that we could not achieve it. Some also said we could not move the state capital from Lagos to another city.

“But, eventually, we were able to subdue the security challenges. I can tell you, we would not have been able to do it, if we did not enjoy the support of Nigerians.
“I urge our people to love and defend the unity of this country at all times. The government should be given the needed support so that it will be able to function.

“I am not saying government should not be criticised when it is doing wrong, but we should not say or do things that will cause more tension and confusion in our land.”
In Williams’ view, Obasanjo should be more circumspect.

“I am sure if he considers his statements, he would not say such things.
“When I was in practice, I had confrontations with him, but we grew to respect each other.
“I would have expected him to observe complete silence, especially commenting on offices now held by somebody else other than himself.”
Obasanjo, speaking in Warri last Thursday at one of the events, marking the 40th anniversary of Rev. Ayo Oritsejafor, President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), said President Jonathan’s response to Boko Haram’s insurgency is tepid.

Obasanjo said when faced with such a situation, he nipped it in the bud, saying Dr. Jonathan should have tackled the insurgency at the outset.
“My fear is that when you have a sore and you don’t attend to it early enough, it festers and becomes very bad. Don’t leave a problem that can be bad unattended,” Obasanjo said.
But President Jonathan chose the occasion of his Media Chat on Sunday to respond to Obasanjo’s criticism, saying Obasanjo’s administration’s military attack on Odi in 1999 after some policemen were killed, was a disaster, which failed to achieve its objective.
Jonathan alleged that contrary to Obasanjo’s claim, no militant was killed in the invasion.

He said as the Bayelsa State Deputy Governor at the time, he and (then) Governor Dipreye Alamieyeseigha visited Odi. They saw “some dead people, mainly old men and women and also children. None of those militants was killed. So, the bombardment of Odi was to solve the problem but it never solved it.”
Obasanjo’s former Adviser, Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, On Tuesday replied Jonathan on behalf of his principal.
He said: “The truth is that the killing of security agents and soldiers with impunity by Niger Delta militants virtually stopped after the operation in Odi.”
Gen. Gowon, in his address as chairman of the book launch, said he was fascinated by the title of the book, adding that trust and transparency are qualities a good leader must possess.
“As Head of State, I religiously ensured that I reached out to people across all strata through contacts and visits in order to determine how government was perceived or to see how government fared.

Shonekan, who was the guest of honour, said the book was devoted to value reorientation.
He said the author had also brought to the fore the fact that it is never easy for anybody to get to the top in any field of endeavour. It requires a lot of humility, sagacity, commitment to duty and diligence to realise such lofty dreams.
“From experience, I can say that staying at the top is more difficult because for a number of factors, those at the top often lose their staying power. Their successes often get into their heads, their values become warped and sometimes, they cannot move with the dynamics of the time and in the process, they are overtaken by other contenders for the top position.”

Prof. Fajana reviewed the book.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/gowon-slams-obasanjo-over-attack-on-jonathan/

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by Idokojimmy: 7:21am On Nov 23, 2012
I'm happy OBJ is in this alone. No responsible Govt can order the military to massacre innocent citizens in the name of tracking down militants, knowing that these terrorists hit and run.Gej is gradually winning the war, he should be supported.

10 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by ochukoccna: 9:46am On Nov 23, 2012
I expect Gowon to know better
No sane nation on this planet negotiates with terrorists
You can't kill security representatives of a state even if you are a member of that state& expect a pat on the back
In America, cop killers are hunted down viciously
I'm not a fan boy of OBJ but he got the Odi and Zaki Biam calls right
True, the military were heavy handed in their response [they should be better trained on how to flush out insurgents in communities without collateral damage for we see similar tactics in the BH areas]but did you hear soldiers or policemen been killed in those places afterward?
Ebele should go shut up and sit down
Was it not after the the military came to Odi he and his then boss [Alams] were able to enter the town?
Let him stick to eating his fish peppersoup till May 2015 cool cool

19 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by juman(m): 9:55am On Nov 23, 2012
Gen. Gowon deserve a gift of a private jet. grin

6 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by ceejay80s(m): 9:56am On Nov 23, 2012
All dis one na class act, make we think say dem dey quarrel, if u see where all of dem sidon 2gether dey drink xpesive wine, dem go say, "see dis mumu nigerians"

5 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by chuksmad(m): 9:57am On Nov 23, 2012
ochukoccna: I expect Gowon to know better
You can't kill security representatives of a state even if you are a member of that state& expect a pat on the back
True, the military were heavy handed in their response [they should be better trained on how to flush out insurgents in communities without collateral damage for we see similar tactics in the BH areas]but did you hear soldiers or policemen been killed in those places afterward?
Was it not after the the military came to Odi he and his then boss [Alams] were able to enter the town?
i don't think you get it right my friend.Sending soldiers to massacre innocent people at Odi is barbaric and unjustified. If it is your village, will u support the invasion? Hypocrites

7 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by GentleNaaz(m): 10:01am On Nov 23, 2012
Gurock Ebeye Jolatan n Oyuchegu Abayanjo, i tohught btoh are mnsaet man
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by almajiri101: 10:03am On Nov 23, 2012
We are not far from reckoning day wia ebele and his cohorts shall be brutalized

1 Like

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by usmanyaro17: 10:03am On Nov 23, 2012
No right thinking person will support OBJ's approach of tackling insurgency,past leaders like OBJ must be mindful of their statements in public glare.
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by usmanyaro17: 10:04am On Nov 23, 2012
almajiri101: We are not far from reckoning day when ebele and his cohorts shall be brutalized
Kai Mallam,we are talking abt something serious here and you are misfiring,pls go back to the topic at hand.
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by Teejayphillip(m): 10:05am On Nov 23, 2012
Make Gen Gowon go pack well jaare... No b jonathan fault,if OBJ had not fought th Odi's community den,nah only God knw wetin our dearest country 4 b 2day...

Why dint Boko Haram show face during OBJ's regime? I so much trust by now dey'll ave turn 2 d tins of the past....

Gowon is an old man,he shuld continue enjoying his PENSION

17 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by lightheart(m): 10:06am On Nov 23, 2012
And Oga Gowon did not send soldiers to massacre innocentis during the Nigeria-Biafra fiasco baa?
All this double standards sha.

11 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by ochukoccna: 10:08am On Nov 23, 2012
chuksmad:
i don't think you get it right my friend.Sending soldiers to massacre innocent people at Odi is barbaric and unjustified. If it is your village, will u support the invasion? Hypocrites
Phool,I'm not your friend cool cool
Like the same is not happening in the North now i the name of tackling BH?
Did I not point that out the NA was heavy handed in my post?
Read the quote below from my initial post dunderhead and understand save you have issues with comprehending stuff grin grin

True, the military were heavy handed in their response [they should be better trained on how to flush out insurgents in communities without collateral damage for we see similar tactics in the BH areas]
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by dewize01(m): 10:13am On Nov 23, 2012
I think i buy the principle of 'take an action and let posteririty judge'. Not taking any action at all is an attribute of a coward.

5 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by Melancholy(m): 10:16am On Nov 23, 2012
It obvious that gej is sluggish.So for jonathan not to accept a constructive criticism, am afraid gej administration is going to be the poorest tenure in nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by elpatch(m): 10:23am On Nov 23, 2012
If the benefit outweighs the risk,why not?
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by paranorman(m): 10:27am On Nov 23, 2012
I kept tinkin,if votin PDP outta power will solve our major problems: corruption,insecurity,ill circulation of wealth n lack of electricity?! But den,another questn arises:can PDP actualy b voted outta power? On a federal level,they control many tins;even d judiary arm! He who lives in a glass house shuldnt throw stone! Obasanjo is in no position ta critisize Jonathan. Only a miracle wil save nigeria. Naija has fallen 4rm grace to grass.
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by vislabraye(m): 10:28am On Nov 23, 2012
GEJ hasn't handled this BH issue properly. OBJ wouldn't mind wiping out a whole community to install peace. So who's better?
May be Abacha would have done better who knows?

1 Like

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by usmanyaro17: 10:29am On Nov 23, 2012
Melancholy: It obvious that gej is sluggish.So for jonathan not to accept a constructive criticism, am afraid gej administration is going to be the poorest tenure in nigeria
you are just your name....
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by thelastPope(m): 10:30am On Nov 23, 2012
ochukoccna: I expect Gowon to know better

I am amazed at the level of ignorance Nigerians display sometimes. Please tell me, do you think a band of militants in a village will kill 9 soldiers and then wait in the same village for the military to come and attack them there? I need an answer please. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by usmanyaro17: 10:33am On Nov 23, 2012
thelastPope:

I am amazed at the level of ignorance Nigerians display sometimes. Please tell me, do you think a band of militants in a village will kill 9 soldiers and then wait in the same village for the military to come and attack them there? I need an answer please. Thank you.
This is pertinent question,the us of force is not always the best.
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by thelastPope(m): 10:35am On Nov 23, 2012
dewize01: I think i buy the principle of 'take an action and let posteririty judge'. Not taking any action at all is an attribute of a coward.

Yeah, I support you and pray the action starts from your village with all your cousins, nephews, aunties and uncles at home. That would be nice, isn't it?

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by deols(f): 10:35am On Nov 23, 2012
And they all must talk because OBJ spoke? I just like that he is fearless.

Nipping it by d bud shldnt necessarily mean by d bud. God help us.there are always casualities anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by egift(m): 10:37am On Nov 23, 2012
Look who is talking! Gowon should hide his head in shame and enjoy his loot in "peace".

3 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by MajeOfficial: 10:48am On Nov 23, 2012
one day in Odi will never equate the massacres Gowon oversaw during biafra including the notorious Asaba massacre and strategy of starving women and children.
Does anyone else find it ironic that of all people, Gowon has something to say?

Igbo or not you cant say Gowon has the moral right to speak on using violence to solve problems.

4 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by johndavid1(m): 10:55am On Nov 23, 2012
ceejay80s: All dis one na class act, make we think say dem dey quarrel, if u see where all of dem sidon 2gether dey drink xpesive wine, dem go say, "see dis mumu nigerians"
i dnt tink ur ryt on diz
Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 23, 2012
I think this dude called gowon is broke and seeking favour from gej, the same gowon who sent soldiers to masacre innocent biafrans for 3yrs?

9 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by lacasa: 11:08am On Nov 23, 2012
991: I think this dude called gowon is broke and seeking favour from gej, the same gowon who sent soldiers to masacre innocent biafrans for 3yrs?

U wanted a war u culdnt win and µя here making noise.

Nxt time think twice b4 u call for WARr wink

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by finezlord: 11:15am On Nov 23, 2012
Gowon is an idiot. is it not the same gowon that ordered the massacre of biafrian civilians both women and children? and he is here condemning obj of odi killings.bloody hypocrite old fool innocent blood sucker.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by finezlord: 11:17am On Nov 23, 2012
Gowon is an idiot. is it not the same gowon that ordered the massacre of biafrian civilians both women and children? and he is here condemning obj of odi killings.bloody hypocrite old fool innocent blood sucker of the first order.

1 Like

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 23, 2012
lacasa:

U wanted a war u culdnt win and µя here making noise.

Nxt time think twice b4 u call for WARr wink

Keep off that computer kid! Go wash plates in the kitchen, mom will soon be home.

11 Likes

Re: Gowon Slams Obasanjo Over Jonathan Attack by Idokojimmy: 11:18am On Nov 23, 2012
It is surprising that none has commended GEJ so far for efforts aimed at arresting the prevailing insecurity. Everyone will agree that explosion and suicide attacks have tremendously reduced, owing to the efforts of govt and security agencies.
Again, supporting military action which translates in to massacre, with children and women as casualties is totally unacceptable. While many may support this because it isn't their state, village or women that will be attacked, reasonable people will exploit peaceful avenue which ultimately guarantees long lasting peace.
Gowon has spoken as a leader. Military action will only increase casualties.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Recruitment Scam, A Grand Betrayal Of Change Mantra - Caleb Ayansina / Ganduje: "We Will Drag Buhari To Court If He Refuses To Seek Reelection" / Peter Obi An Iconic Son Of Igboland - Gov. Ugwuanyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.