Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,507 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Japan's Ninjas Heading For Extinction - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Japan's Ninjas Heading For Extinction (726 Views)

Five “uncontacted Tribes” Most Threatened With Extinction (photos) / VIDEO: UNBELIEVABLE! A Rape Club In Japan? / Smoking Zones In Japan.(Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japan's Ninjas Heading For Extinction by LordReed(m): 8:38am On Nov 23, 2012
Japan's era of shoguns and samurai is long over, but the country does have one, or maybe two, surviving ninjas. Experts in the dark arts of espionage and silent assassination, ninjas passed skills from father to son - but today's say they will be the last.

Japan's ninjas were all about mystery. Hired by noble samurai warriors to spy, sabotage and kill, their dark outfits usually covered everything but their eyes, leaving them virtually invisible in shadow - until they struck.

Using weapons such as shuriken, a sharpened star-shaped projectile, and the fukiya blowpipe, they were silent but deadly.

Ninjas were also famed swordsmen. They used their weapons not just to kill but to help them climb stone walls, to sneak into a castle or observe their enemies.

Most of their missions were secret so there are very few official documents detailing their activities. Their tools and methods were passed down for generations by word of mouth.

This has allowed filmmakers, novelists and comic artists to use their wild imagination.

Hollywood movies such as Enter the Ninja and American Ninja portray them as superhumans who could run on water or disappear in the blink of an eye.

"That is impossible because no matter how much you train, ninjas were people," laughs Jinichi Kawakami, Japan's last ninja grandmaster, according to the Iga-ryu ninja museum.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20135674
Re: Japan's Ninjas Heading For Extinction by Ramcie(f): 9:02am On Nov 23, 2012
Ayyah. Me I want to become a Ninja o! My first target would be my annoying Landlord grin

1 Like

Re: Japan's Ninjas Heading For Extinction by firestar(f): 10:32am On Nov 23, 2012

Dark colours...
It's not the way artists protray them as.
And their weapons..... lipsrsealed
Re: Japan's Ninjas Heading For Extinction by LordReed(m): 10:52am On Nov 23, 2012
Ramcie: Ayyah. Me I want to become a Ninja o! My first target would be my annoying Landlord grin

Me too! i wish I could be adopted by a Ninja clan.

firestar: ....

Dark colours...
It's not the way artists protray them as.
And their weapons..... lipsrsealed

Well artists tend to elaborate/exaggerate quite a bit.
Re: Japan's Ninjas Heading For Extinction by firestar(f): 11:07am On Nov 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:
Well artists tend to elaborate/exaggerate quite a bit.

...a bit?
Those shuriken for example, multiple that size several times over and imagine a ninja wielding that!
shocked
Although, their exaggerated protrayal makes them even more intriguing along with a make-believe story-line.
Re: Japan's Ninjas Heading For Extinction by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 11, 2012
Thats's sad, although I thought they were long gone lol. I want to be Samurai. Abunai!!!! grin

(1) (Reply)

Gunmen Invade Birningwari Township In Kaduna State,bomb Police Station And Banks / Nigerian Village Square / Criterias For Being A Mod

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.