Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Would You Donate Blood? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Would You Donate Blood? (6934 Views)

Yola Blast: Hospital Urges Public To Donate Blood / Would You Donate Your Vital Organs? / Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 6:59am On Nov 27, 2012
I can still remember how happy and i satisfied i felt the day i donated a pint of blood to a blood bank, i didn't plan to do it but i went to the hospital that particular day for check up and a thought came to me to run a HIV test to assertain my status so i went to the lab attendant and told him i would like to donate blood knowing fully well that before i would be allowed to donate blood, they would have to run a HIV test on me, he checked if i was healthy enough to donate, after that he ran the test and it came out -ve, in d result, hepatitis B was also tested and i eventually donated some blood, I was so happy.

That was about 2 yrs ago, i'm thinking of re-visiting for another donation, i know its against the belief of some religion, but would u donate ur blood to save a life?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Caracta(f): 8:03am On Nov 27, 2012
Why not? How many litres?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 27, 2012
Caracta: Why not? How many litres?
a pint equals 450ml of blood. You're adviced to donate one pint at a time. But one can donate up to 3 times or more in a year.

1 Like

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 11:18am On Nov 27, 2012
I can`t.

In my country, if you have piercings in your tounge, or have had s*x with an african the last 12months, you can not donate.
So, since I am married to an african, and have the piercing...

( They are trying to change the law regarding the african thing, though.. )
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 11:30am On Nov 27, 2012
JallowBah: I can`t.

In my country, if you have piercings in your tounge, or have had s*x with an african the last 12months, you can not donate.

That's kinda funny and appears like racism. What is the implication of having s3x with an african? Science is meant to be objective...you test the donor,gather data from the tests to determine if he or she is eligible.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 12:26pm On Nov 27, 2012
JallowBah: I can`t.

what country is dat?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 27, 2012
masterpiecer:

what country is dat?
norway
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 12:55pm On Nov 27, 2012
centje: norway

How did u know?, i need @Jallowbah to confirm it
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 12:59pm On Nov 27, 2012
I know. It`s crazy..and it is and old, old law. Many countries tend to be like that; they have old laws from when they did not know better, and never seem to change them. I live in Norway.

But, edit: They have changed that one!
cheesy

It was there just two years back.

But, people who have lived more than 5years south of Sahara can not give blood, and people who have been in a country that have malaria for more than 6months. ( After 6months back home, they can do a test. )
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 1:00pm On Nov 27, 2012
They have also taken away the one about piercings, so I can actually give blood now. Woop!
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 1:07pm On Nov 27, 2012
JallowBah: They have also taken away the one about piercings, so I can actually give blood now. Woop!

I think its a honourable thing to do, d last time i did, the lab attendant said i had alot of blood even after i had donated, and i was just wondering what i will be doing with so much blood when it could actually save someone else's life

1 Like

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 1:13pm On Nov 27, 2012
masterpiecer:

I think its a honourable thing to do, d last time i did, the lab attendant said i had alot of blood even after i had donated, and i was just wondering what i will be doing with so much blood when it could actually save someone else's life

Very true. I have given once, but one of the problems for me, is that my veins are "hiders". They have to stick the needle in and search, and search and search..the pain in..crazy. And they have to use the kid-needle as well, so to get one tube of blood from me takes about 40min, every single time.

They told me it might get better when I am a little bit older, so I might give later.

And, I do know how important it is..my husband got thiefed here in Norway, and beaten so bad that they had to give him blood for a few hours.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 1:28pm On Nov 27, 2012
JallowBah:

Very true. I have given once, but one of the problems for me, is that my veins are "hiders". They have to stick the needle in and search, and search and search..the pain in..crazy. And they have to use the kid-needle as well, so to get one tube of blood from me takes about 40min, every single time.

They told me it might get better when I am a little bit older, so I might give later.

And, I do know how important it is..my husband got thiefed here in Norway, and beaten so bad that they had to give him blood for a few hours.

yeah, searching for veins with a needle in one's skin can be really painful,but some people have phobia for needles (like my gf) and when its time to pierce them, they just seem to disappear, i have long ago over come that phobia, when i was a kid i fell ill alot of time and i became use to needles and sometimes my veins pop out of my skin really visibly.

sorry abt ur hubby's ordeal
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 1:30pm On Nov 27, 2012
masterpiecer:

yeah, searching for veins with a needle in one's skin can be really painful,but some people have phobia for needles (like my gf) and when its time to pierce them, they just seem to disappear, i have long ago over come that phobia, when i was a kid i fell ill alot of time and i became use to needles and sometimes my veins pop out of my skin really visibly.

sorry abt ur hubby's ordeal

I have the same, and it is insane every time I take a blood-test. Lol. And it is not easy to control that fear either..

And thank you. Luckily, my country have free medical help. 24 hours in the hospital, and we did not have to pay anything.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by dominique(f): 4:20pm On Nov 27, 2012
JallowBah: I know. It`s crazy..and it is and old, old law. Many countries tend to be like that; they have old laws from when they did not know better, and never seem to change them. I live in Norway.

But, people who have lived more than 5years south of Sahara can not give blood, and people who have been in a country that have malaria for more than 6months. ( After 6months back home, they can do a test. )

thats still discriminatory. Whats stoping them from crying out simple test to ascertain weather the person has malaria parasite or not? Seems these scandinavian countries still have a long way to go in racial tolerance.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 4:42pm On Nov 27, 2012
dominique:

thats still discriminatory. Whats stoping them from crying out simple test to ascertain weather the person has malaria parasite or not? Seems these scandinavian countries still have a long way to go in racial tolerance.

Well, that is why you can do a test 6months after returning.

On the Sahara-rule: I can`t seem to find the reason as to WHY they say no when you have lived there more than 5 years. They only say "because people from certain areas are more likely, in percantage, to have certain blood-bacterias that we don`t have". And that is not about racial tolerance or not.. the insects that can sting you in many of the countries, are not living up here. Same with the food, water, etc, and bacterias in the air. It`s all different.

Before, like I said, it was even more strict.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by dominique(f): 5:06pm On Nov 27, 2012
Its a good thing they're bending the rules a bit. Me i don't think i can live in those European countries sha.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 6:05pm On Nov 27, 2012
dominique: Its a good thing they're bending the rules a bit. Me i don't think i can live in those European countries sha.

I`m guessing that has to do with more than just the rules on who can give bloodwink
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by monalicious(f): 10:32pm On Nov 27, 2012
I love donating blood,I love the feeling I get,knowing my blood could help save a life,maybe a baby,I love to do it especially when I know d blood is going to someone,who otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford it.however,I hate d way I feel,few weeks after d donation,dat sickness that comes,it seems its perculiar to me.terrible unbearable pains @ my joints and back,hot feet,etc.I advice all who is fit,to donate blood,we don't need d extra luggage,we could use it to save a life.donate blood voluntarily.

1 Like

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 11:07pm On Nov 27, 2012
For the people talking highly about giving blood, how do you stand on organ-donation? When you die, would you let the doctors take the organs that can be used, in order to save someones life?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 6:23am On Nov 28, 2012
JallowBah: For the people talking highly about giving blood, how do you stand on organ-donation? When you die, would you let the doctors take the organs that can be used, in order to save someones life?
sure,while still alive i can even donate one of my kidney or part of my liver

2 Likes

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 6:56am On Nov 28, 2012
monalicious: I love donating blood,I love the feeling I get,knowing my blood could help save a life,maybe a baby,I love to do it especially when I know d blood is going to someone,who otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford it.however,I hate d way I feel,few weeks after d donation,dat sickness that comes,it seems its perculiar to me.terrible unbearable pains @ my joints and back,hot feet,etc.I advice all who is fit,to donate blood,we don't need d extra luggage,we could use it to save a life.donate blood voluntarily.

Concerning the pains u feel after donating, maybe u should see ur GP to give u possible advise on what to do before and after donating.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 10:33am On Nov 28, 2012
centje: sure,while still alive i can even donate one of my kidney or part of my liver

That`s very goodsmiley

Many people do not wish to give their organs away, many due to religious beliefs.
I had one familymember who lived 3 years more with her kids thanks to someone giving her lunges. Many people live 30years with new ones, sadly, her body refused to accept them completely.

I don`t think many people even think about the fact that their organs can save someones life when they die..
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by monalicious(f): 1:09pm On Nov 28, 2012
JallowBah: For the people talking highly about giving blood, how do you stand on organ-donation? When you die, would you let the doctors take the organs that can be used, in order to save someones life?
There's a way one could sign up for this,even before death,that immediately after the person's death,d vital organs should be removed.I would sign up for it,when I know how to go about it
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by firestar(f): 1:18pm On Nov 28, 2012
Never.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Mynd44: 1:24pm On Nov 28, 2012
firestar: Never.
Finally found you.

Why can't you give blood?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Nov 28, 2012
why?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by JallowBah(f): 1:33pm On Nov 28, 2012
monalicious:
There's a way one could sign up for this,even before death,that immediately after the person's death,d vital organs should be removed.I would sign up for it,when I know how to go about it

They have donor-cards in all doctor-offices in Scandinavia, which you can put in your wallet, but it is wise to inform all close family about it as well.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by monalicious(f): 1:52pm On Nov 28, 2012
JallowBah:

They have donor-cards in all doctor-offices in Scandinavia, which you can put in your wallet, but it is wise to inform all close family about it as well.
I don't know if its available in Nigeria,and my family would definitely be aware of it.

1 Like

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by masterpiecer(m): 2:30pm On Nov 28, 2012

even if it would help save the life of a loved one? undecided
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by manny4life(m): 5:16pm On Nov 28, 2012
I can't because I'm Black and African.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by bblacky(f): 5:20pm On Nov 28, 2012
Wit all eagerness i will!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Medical Experts Say Nigeria Loses Over ₦576 Billion Yearly To Medical Tourism / Anambra State Wins World Bank Award On Immunization-photo / Jang Plans World-class Hospital To Check Foreign Medical Trips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.