Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,904 members, 7,802,932 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Would You Donate Blood? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Would You Donate Blood? (6935 Views)

Yola Blast: Hospital Urges Public To Donate Blood / Would You Donate Your Vital Organs? / Nigerians Can't Donate Blood In The US? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by biolabee(m): 7:17pm On Nov 28, 2012
jigawatts:

I'm sorry, its a horrible experience, don't wanna talk abt it ..........

All I'm saying is ...... IF anybody in needs of blood at the moment, even if its a Stranger .... I will donate.... BUT for me to donate, so they can keep ........... NO WAY

ok thanks for d response.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 28, 2012
firestar:
There are alternatives to blood transfusions. For all my loved ones and strangers, its recommended to use
bloodless medicine.
Risks from blood is NOT worth it.
what are the alternatives?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by firestar(f): 7:23pm On Nov 28, 2012
aweleokolo: I donate blood as often as I can. There's a restriction on female donors but its just one pint so I don't mind cheesy

I feel great knowing I'm helping someone or saving the life of a child or loved one. smiley

It isn't against Christianity to donate blood and if you are a Jehovah witness, please don't even reply this post. yall have some serious issues. undecided

Freedom of speech my friend.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by sylva1(m): 7:25pm On Nov 28, 2012
I would only donate to a close relative, besides, why is blood sold to patients even when such blood was donated freely by the donors? #just asking#

1 Like

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Joeblis(m): 7:26pm On Nov 28, 2012
This is fuc.king annoying why do they sell blood donated freely at a very high price?i remember vividly when i donated blood only what they gave me was maltina and peak milk huh?some of them goes for as much as 100k what do you call that?

1 Like

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Joeblis(m): 7:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
sylva#:
I would only donate to a close relative, besides, why is blood sold to patients even when such blood was donated freely by the donors? #just asking#
my brother,the tin dy pain me
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by bory09(m): 7:28pm On Nov 28, 2012
I can so far they give me ten million naira for thank you gift
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by jigawatts(m): 7:29pm On Nov 28, 2012
sylva#:

HELP ME ASK THEM ooooo ...... When I was small, I use to think Blood Banks manufacture blood .....
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by richeyy(m): 7:34pm On Nov 28, 2012
Caracta: Why not? How many litres?
20 litres. grin grin
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by gnykelly(m): 7:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
That was the greatest thing i ve ever done. It was on 29th of june 2009 at sickle cell home LAGOS UNI TEACHING HOSPITAL. I was 18 then and that has been my greatest achievement in my life. Hope to do more in future

1 Like

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 28, 2012
Joeblis: This is fuc.king annoying why do they sell blood donated freely at a very high price?i remember vividly when i donated blood only what they gave me was maltina and peak milk huh?some of them goes for as much as 100k what do you call that?

Actually its no where as much as that. I think the money is for the cost of testing the blood and storing it as a lot of equipments and manpower is involved in getting the blood from the donor to the recipient.

1 Like

Re: Would You Donate Blood? by gnykelly(m): 7:49pm On Nov 28, 2012
That was my greatest achievement till date it was at LUTH yaba, sickle cell centre. I was 18yrs in my ND1 then. Still hope to do more in future( my mama never know else she is gonna burst)
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 28, 2012
tatiana009:

Actually its no where as much as that. I think the money is for the cost of testing the blood and storing it as a lot of equipments and manpower is involved in getting the blood from the donor to the recipient.
you're right
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by GeneralGaricks: 7:57pm On Nov 28, 2012
masterpiecer: I can still remember how happy and i satisfied i felt the day i donated a pint of blood to a blood bank, i didn't plan to do it but i went to the hospital that particular day for check up and a thought came to me to run a HIV test to assertain my status so i went to the lab attendant and told him i would like to donate blood knowing fully well that before i would be allowed to donate blood, they would have to run a HIV test on me, he checked if i was healthy enough to donate, after that he ran the test and it came out -ve, in d result, hepatitis B was also tested and i eventually donated some blood, I was so happy.

That was about 2 yrs ago, i'm thinking of re-visiting for another donation, i know its against the belief of some religion, but would u donate ur blood to save a life?

You dont even know who you donated the blood to. You get mind, you sold your blood for free HIV test. Chikeena.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Nov 28, 2012
@topic I have a few times.

JallowBah: I can`t.

In my country, if you have piercings in your tounge, or have had s*x with an african the last 12months, you can not donate.
So, since I am married to an african, and have the piercing...

( They are trying to change the law regarding the african thing, though.. )

it's the same way in the United States.
I think it's a life time ban, not sure though.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 28, 2012
gny kelly: That was the greatest thing i ve ever done. It was on 29th of june 2009 at sickle cell home LAGOS UNI TEACHING HOSPITAL. I was 18 then and that has been my greatest achievement in my life. Hope to do more in future

Amen!
I donated twice in 2007 and once in 2008.
I even signed up to donate bone marrow. tongue

But it is an awesome feeling knowing that you are helping to save lives.
Very beautiful thing. The first time I did it, it was scary. I almost passed out grin
But it was rewarding still.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Dozieson(m): 8:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
i donated blood last week to a patient i dont even know. am please to hear he is fine now.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 28, 2012
MsDarkSkin: @topic I have a few times.

yeah it's for twelve months. But you have to get tested
after the year. This also applies if you have s*x with
someone who has traveled to Africa. Not even sexually active
g@y men are allowed to donate without thorough screening.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by kemiola89(f): 8:34pm On Nov 28, 2012
I cant even stand the sight of a needle talk more of allowing it pierce through my skin! Hell to the NO...
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by iheanyi4u(m): 8:34pm On Nov 28, 2012
Yes I have and yes I would gladly donate again. The 1st time was in camp during nysc and I felt great (though I was a lil scared cos of the HIV testing but it was -ve sha). Its great knowing u re helping someone u have never met and would never know.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by ndukwooduyahoocom: 8:55pm On Nov 28, 2012
[color=#006600][/color] yes, i will give my blood 4 good
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by ndukwooduyahoocom: 8:59pm On Nov 28, 2012
[color=#990000][/color] my blood o i dn't do sex. I dn't hv hiv am ok
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
No i de fear
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by agohavivi(f): 10:35pm On Nov 28, 2012
JallowBah: I can`t.

In my country, if you have piercings in your tounge, or have had s*x with an african the last 12months, you can not donate.
So, since I am married to an african, and have the piercing...

( They are trying to change the law regarding the african thing, though.. )
What country is that?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by ajadudu: 10:47pm On Nov 28, 2012
agoha_vivi: What country is that?
Common practice in a lot of western countries, US, Canada for one..
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by mcevans1(m): 10:52pm On Nov 28, 2012
richeyy: 20 litres. grin grin

LWTMB grin grin. You go stilll dey alive so?
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by gentlesoul25(m): 12:10am On Nov 29, 2012
it is good but be prayerful because ur blood can be used to hurt u.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by sylvagiva(m): 12:41am On Nov 29, 2012
What you give out you don't suffer. Am a confirm donor, i donate every three months and i look good and better than those that are not donating. What is a essence of having a thing without giving it out more especially, the one that was received freely. For me it gives me the opportunity to allow new blood to be produced.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 1:16am On Nov 29, 2012
I have donated blood many times before.. and I am thankful for those that donate as well. My children have been the recipient multiple times and I am not a match for them, so its personal issue for me. I donate platelets as well.

Some of the questions asked in the US to donate blood are just silly, Along with the "have you ever slept with an African" there are many more. (Have you traveled outside the country since 1980. Ever had sex with a member of the same sex. Do you have any tattoos.) Everytime I answer the African questions with "yes" the attendants have to search and make sure the country my African guy is from is Okay. Even having donated many times, they still have to look it up.

They always test the blood anyway and can reject it for whatever reason, so I think some of the questions are just r3tarded (like the tattoo one.. if you have an infection the bloodwork can show it).
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Nobody: 1:17am On Nov 29, 2012
MsDarkSkin: @topic I have a few times.

Depends on where the African is from. Certain countries are allowed, while others are a big fat NO.
Re: Would You Donate Blood? by Idowuogbo(f): 1:20am On Nov 29, 2012
I wish! Phobia of needles. embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Medical Experts Say Nigeria Loses Over ₦576 Billion Yearly To Medical Tourism / Anambra State Wins World Bank Award On Immunization-photo / Jang Plans World-class Hospital To Check Foreign Medical Trips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.