Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:00 PM

Farmers In The House - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Farmers In The House (7540 Views)

Farmers To Earn N101bn Annually From Perishable Cargo / Young Farmers Cooperative Society In Abeokuta / Database Of All Farmers In Nigeria Commences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farmers In The House by Chudoify: 8:36pm On Nov 27, 2012
We are considering starting a poultry farm and pig farm.please,which one who you advice us to venture into.please we need your advice and suggestions.thanks
Re: Farmers In The House by delaruh(m): 10:16pm On Nov 27, 2012
The risk involved in pigery is incomparable to that of poultry ,so in my personal opinion I will say u shud go for pigery but I am majorly into catfish biz ,I produce fingerlings and juvenile....08168686345 is my number.
Re: Farmers In The House by ogbongenet: 11:12pm On Nov 27, 2012
i will advise you to go into pigry as a fresher and later you can incorporate poultry farmin into it.i have you heard about quail farmin,try and make some research on google,its an amazing bizness...a lot of profit within short period of time.
Re: Farmers In The House by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:33pm On Nov 27, 2012
Poultry business is good,but let me invest a little with this information about the comparison.Poultry can be seperated into Broilers,Layers,Sales of point of Lay,Cockerel etc.In as mush that within 7-9weeks or a bit less you can get your broilers to market size(depends on the breed),you have to get a ready market because feeding after this period reduces your profit.For layers,where do you intend to start i.e is it from day old or you are buying point of lay.If the latter get from a reliable source.100 layers when producing will gives an average of 70 eggs daily.You need cages.You can decide to raise poultry birds from day old and 15 weeks sell as point of lay to intending farmers for replacing their spent layers.Cockerel takes 5-6 months and can be presume as seasonal.All this is capital intensive and needs a lot of monitoring.About piggery,they are rugged,highly prolific i.e produces large offspring numbers(piglets).You can start with 1 male to about 10 females.The weaned ones are 2500 naira each or you go to a 6-7 months pig at ratio of 1 male to 7-10 females and in a year the numbers can be a marvel eg a pig can produce up to 14 or more piglets at 1 pregnancy.From i choose pigs.Consider fish and vegetables in future,they are good agric ventures
Re: Farmers In The House by Chudoify: 3:19am On Nov 28, 2012
Thanks to those that have contributed.we are grateful.please,we are still hoping for more suggestions.thanks
Re: Farmers In The House by Chudoify: 3:25am On Nov 28, 2012
Please,like how much will it cost us to feed a pig of two months for six months?thanks and God bless you.
Re: Farmers In The House by excelsiorfarm(m): 12:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
to save a lot of money,feed them boiled cassava,well dried cassava & yam peels,vegetables,palm kernel,wheat offals to mention a few.what differentiate cost is experience & insights.dont worry pigs are great converter of food to meat(weight)
Re: Farmers In The House by innocentchuks(m): 3:14pm On Dec 15, 2012
both are good, but pig farming has high gain with more work. the question u need to answer urself is; 'what did i know about either of the business?' that will guide u better, dig dip about it before u invest both of them has good potential as for me i am into fish farming and it might interest u to know that i spend 7month learning practically and gathering information before i invest. i am not suggesting u will spend the same time but to let u know the importance of knowing ur business well.
Re: Farmers In The House by Zhedoga: 3:24pm On Dec 15, 2012
pig farm can feed poultry farm but the former cannot do that.
Re: Farmers In The House by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:50pm On Dec 15, 2012
[quote author=innocent chuks]both are good, but pig farming has high gain with more work. the question u need to answer urself is; 'what did i know about either of the business?' that will guide u better, dig dip about it before u invest both of them has good potential as for me i am into fish farming and it might interest u to know that i spend 7month learning practically and gathering information before i invest. i am not suggesting u will spend the same time but to let u know the importance of knowing
Re: Farmers In The House by Chudoify: 7:01pm On Dec 15, 2012
May God bless all of u
Re: Farmers In The House by saltimmy: 2:21am On Dec 16, 2012
[quote author=excelsiorfarm][/quote]
Pls I have interest in pig farming and I really nid ur help... U cn send me. D details here adeboxy@gmail .com
Re: Farmers In The House by adelegan1: 12:06pm On Dec 16, 2012
I will advise you to into vegetable farming. It depend on your location. if you have a secure land that you can manage at least 2 plot of land then good. you need to get a sprinkler and well. efo take between 21 to 30 days it depend on the type. if is local or hybrid. A kilo of efo goes for between 30 to 70 naira you job is to make sure grow very well and you dont have any problem uprooting the them the buyer will do that and you will weigh with pocket scale. it is not a matter of large your land is but how you manage the little thing one. I have been a arable farmer for a long time and i can tell you the only farming that is less stress with and ready market and bring more profit is efo farming.

1 Like

Re: Farmers In The House by i1: 12:49pm On Dec 16, 2012
Adelegan1 we need †☺ talk sir. Pls can I have your number, mine Ȋ̝̊̅§ 08093779782, 08053779782.. Thanks. I want †☺ ask questions on farming
Re: Farmers In The House by BasseyJ(m): 4:08pm On Dec 16, 2012
Wow, have been googleing for info on pig farming for a long time. Thank you all for this. Okay, i heard someone talk about this(pig farming), and how it brings much profit. We have a very big fenced land, with lot of space. I'm not going into it full time, cos i'm still in school, just doing it as a part time something. With the land, please i need ideal from those well versed in this area on how to go about it. I have heard that i need to build a shed, and dig something like a pond for hem to soak up when it's too sunny and to leave much grasses where they are. Are all these neccessary?? Thanks
Re: Farmers In The House by Chudoify: 5:46pm On Dec 16, 2012
I still very grateful for all that have contributed.
Re: Farmers In The House by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:43pm On Dec 17, 2012
@saltimmy i will send you an email after this writeup,@ adelegan 1 vegetable farming is better than most crop farming,but i will suggest you move up to ugwu than efo,you get better return on space,investment & time.This dry season if you have water,there is a goldmine to hit & have u ever thought of okro. @bassey J what is worth doing is worth doing well.shelter is important.
Re: Farmers In The House by femiseun1: 3:51pm On Dec 17, 2012
I will advise u to go into pig farming :
1. Considering the huge resources required to maintain a poultry in terms of feeding, vaccination, building and casualty management.
2. The risk involved in piggery is far lesser than poultry except for ASF which is a major pig killer which does not happen often.
3. Environmental and feeding conditions affect poultry a lot in terms egg production.
4. As a fresher you will require the services of a full time consultant for your poultry or else u might run into problems while piggery will need a part time or visiting consultant

If u want go into piggery, its better u go and acquire lands at the piggery estates or areas not far from them because of marketing and easy access to information from experienced farmers.

Piggery and poultry are both capital intensive. If u want to make profit from it then u will have to pump money into the business and increase the number of stocks u have. or else u are just subjecting your self to hard labor.

Remember that cost of Land and infrastructure is not considered as part of the business. It is a standard requirement that u most have to start.

Those are some of my pigs in the pic and they eat mercilessly (PKC, bread and gala) grin

1 Like

Re: Farmers In The House by BasseyJ(m): 6:46pm On Dec 17, 2012
@excelsiorfarm, thanks, what's your take on the water thing?? Also can i drop my mail for you to send me details on how to start up the farm?? The input of other guru's would also be much appreciated
Re: Farmers In The House by excelsiorfarm(m): 7:58pm On Dec 17, 2012
BasseyJ: @excelsiorfarm, thanks, what's your take on the water thing?? Also can i drop my mail for you to send me details on how to start up the farm?? The input of other guru's would also be much appreciated
Bassey J the water thing is important also because pigs dont have sweat pores & they tend to overheat.When ever you see pigs wallowing in muds or water it is because they are feeling heat.Also there is no all knowing,if you choose send your email
Re: Farmers In The House by saltimmy: 9:52pm On Dec 17, 2012
@ excelsiofarm...tanx ...am still waitin for ur mail.
Re: Farmers In The House by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:35pm On Dec 17, 2012
i already sent a mail to adeboxy@gmail.com.do check pls & let me know
Re: Farmers In The House by Manutd19: 6:57am On Dec 18, 2012
Nice discussion going on here. Will like more info on the vegetable farming. And about marketing, will like someone to hint
Re: Farmers In The House by Chudoify: 7:41am On Dec 18, 2012
I am very happy seeing meaningful comtributions here.please,lets keep the ball rolling.someone ask me to invest 250k in plantain plantation,that in 1year i will be making minimum of 1million naira.please,i will like to know if it is true.thank u.luv u all
Re: Farmers In The House by karlxavier(m): 8:45am On Dec 18, 2012
@everyone,i like hw dis thread is moving. I must applaud everyone that has contributed to this thread. Pls i want u pple to shed more light on the plantain plantation and also the vegetable farm cos i'm considering going into the investment. Thanks
Re: Farmers In The House by saltimmy: 9:32am On Dec 18, 2012
excelsiorfarm: i already sent a mail to adeboxy@gmail.com.do check pls & let me know
Jes saw ur mail nw ...I want to knw all d basic requirement I nid to put in place including d best breed of pig to start with..
Re: Farmers In The House by BasseyJ(m): 10:10am On Dec 18, 2012
excelsiorfarm: Bassey J the water thing is important also because pigs dont have sweat pores & they tend to overheat.When ever you see pigs wallowing in muds or water it is because they are feeling heat.Also there is no all knowing,if you choose send your email
here's my mail, johnebassey@gmail.com. I'm new to all this, would need info on pig farming. Thanks
Re: Farmers In The House by femiseun1: 10:17am On Dec 18, 2012
BasseyJ: @excelsiorfarm, thanks, what's your take on the water thing?? Also can i drop my mail for you to send me details on how to start up the farm?? The input of other guru's would also be much appreciated

U cant do livestock farming without water. That is what they drink. U can dig a borehole or well and have a storage tank.

Water is the backbone of farming for day-to-day operations: drinking, cleaning, bathing and at times for giving medication

My money making machines grin

Re: Farmers In The House by femiseun1: 11:21am On Dec 18, 2012
I am currently constructing a 60 x 30 feet 10 room pen house in ikorodu area to expand my farm. I will show u the pics so that u will have an idea of the construction.
Materials:
blocks 6 inches = 2000 @ 130 Naira
cement = 25 bags @ 1800 (For block setting and foundation)
10 tonnes of sharp sand = 25000
digging of foundation :8000 Naira
Labor Daily pay: 4000k for 100blocks (Labor and bricklayer)

I forgot to take the pic on the first day

DAY 2

Re: Farmers In The House by BasseyJ(m): 12:35pm On Dec 18, 2012
femi_seun: I am currently constructing a 60 x 30 feet 10 room pen house in ikorodu area to expand my farm. I will show u the pics so that u will have an idea of the construction.
Materials:
blocks 6 inches = 2000 @ 130 Naira
cement = 25 bags @ 1800 (For block setting and foundation)
10 tonnes of sharp sand = 25000
digging of foundation :8000 Naira
Labor Daily pay: 4000k for 100blocks (Labor and bricklayer)

I forgot to take the pic on the first day

DAY 2

Thanks and God bless you. Please keep the pics coming, looking forward to your posts.
Re: Farmers In The House by femiseun1: 1:31pm On Dec 18, 2012
BasseyJ:
Thanks and God bless you. Please keep the pics coming, looking forward to your posts.

Construction of the entrance and overview of the inside. That is my neighbor's pen over there and its a small scale farm

U can supervise your project yourself, no big deal

Thanks Will send more pics tomorrow

Re: Farmers In The House by femiseun1: 11:21am On Dec 19, 2012
DAY 3

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Join Our Whatsapp Bitcoin Group / Maduabuchi Mere Bags 2018 WHO IS WHO Award In Jos (Photos) / Watch DSTV And IPTV Channels Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.