Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. (2821 Views)

How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? / ***You Can Actually Get A Cheap, Good Car At Salvage Auction*** / How To Know A Stolen Car When U See It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by BizBooks(m): 5:05pm On Nov 29, 2012
In the past one month, I have done VIN checks for several people here on NL. Apart from the
fact that the reports indicate salvage or other serious mechanical problem in almost all
cases, they all had one other thing in common and that is: each person expressed shock at
the result. They tell me that the car was spotless when they inspected it. They also say
nobody can tell the car has been involved in accident. Well, that is the point.

You are not supposed to know that a car has been involved in an accident after it has been
repaired. Mechanics here in the US and even in Nigeria have perfected the art of turning a
salvage car into a sparkling, beautiful ride. As I have said in the past, salvage cars have
become a fact of life in Nigeria. So don't be shocked when you run a VIN check and discover
the car you are about to buy is salvage. 90% of tokunbo cars brought into Nigeria are salvage.
Some people may dispute this figure but I believe it to be very close to the truth.

Shipping salvage cars is the only way some car dealers can make a profit. So nothing will
make them change. All in all, some salvage tokunbo cars are better than brand new cars
used in Nigeria. So buying a salvage car is not too bad if you know what you are doing.

P.S: If you definitely do not want a salvage car, there are car dealers here on Nairaland
that can get you a truly clean car at an affordable price. Those dealers include myself,
Inspired, Fhemmmy, Viperman, Dantitiki etc.

2 Likes

Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by calculusx(m): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2012
BizBooks: In the past one month, I have done VIN checks for several people here on NL. Apart from the
fact that the reports indicate salvage or other serious mechanical problem in almost all
cases, they all had one other thing in common and that is: each person expressed shock at
the result. They tell me that the car was spotless when they inspected it. They also say

You are not supposed to know that a car has been involved in an accident after it has been
repaired. Mechanics here in the US and even in Nigeria have perfected the art of turning a
salvage car into a sparkling, beautiful ride. As I have said in the past, salvage cars have
become a fact of life in Nigeria. So don't be shocked when you run a VIN check and discover
the car you are about to buy is salvage. 90% of tokunbo cars brought into Nigeria are salvage.
Some people may dispute this figure but I believe it to be very close to the truth.

Shipping salvage cars is the only way some car dealers can make a profit. So nothing will
make them change. All in all, some salvage tokunbo cars are better than brand new cars
used in Nigeria. So buying a salvage car is not too bad if you know what you are doing.

P.S: If you definitely do not want a salvage car, there are car dealers here on Nairaland
that can get you a truly clean car at an affordable price. Those dealers include myself,

At times i don't blame dealers that ship severe accidented cars into Nigeria. I blame buyers offering ridiculous prices with the usual saying 'my neighbor bought his own so so amount why is ur own so expensive' our people like cheap cars.
There is a case of someone offering me 1.4m for 2005 Honda Accord LX,he told me he saw one for 1.4m,i told him its impossible. I requested for the Vin which he sent to me,after showing him the pre-purchase picture of the accord he saw for 1.4m {White},he was speechless.
Despite showing him pre-purchase and after repair picture of my own 05 accord below{Silver},he still insist he can get 05 accord for 1.4m. If you must buy a salvage car, ensure the repair was properly done.

Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by calculusx(m): 1:27pm On Nov 30, 2012
grin

Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by emmanjo: 9:40am On Aug 05, 2013
Hello Bizbooks, I have been sending you mails since yesterday but no reply. Pls check and let me have your input. It is urgent too.
Thanks.
Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by BizBooks(m): 1:09pm On Aug 05, 2013
emmanjo: Hello Bizbooks, I have been sending you mails since yesterday but no reply. Pls check and let me have your input. It is urgent too.
Thanks.

You have mail.
Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by mishooo(m): 9:59am On Aug 07, 2013
Very true. I think the ones repaired in the US would be better because of the finesse and they do not panel beat the body most times. They simply replace the damaged parts. One must get people that would do good work on the repairs.
Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 08, 2013
Transparency is just the key,not all salvaged are bad.
Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by Gee2728(m): 2:42pm On Aug 12, 2013
Pls can u check this VIN for me.....WDBHA24G6YA828626?? Pls mail 2 gudalawrence@yahoo.com. Tnx
Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by Fhemmmy: 8:35pm On Aug 13, 2013
Another great thread . . . Keep our people educated
Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by kc007(m): 1:44pm On Aug 14, 2013
BizBooks: In the past one month, I have done VIN checks for several people here on NL. Apart from the

Please can you send me ur e-mail into my email address. I recently bought a car from dealer based in US,as it came, there were issues like oil dropings underneath the engine, i also noticed dent on the chasis and the dealer's attitude after delivery became unfriendly. Chinwekings@yahoo.com is my email. Just to help me run a VIN check of the car. Thank u.
Re: You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. by kc007(m): 1:54pm On Aug 14, 2013

(1) (Reply)

60's Ford Mustang Shelby Gt500 V 20's Ford Mstang Shelby Gt500 / Highlander 2006 Vs Lexus RX 330 / Toyota Avalon Vs Toyota Camry Vs Lexus ES350

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.