Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,111 members, 7,779,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:12 AM

Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. (2543 Views)

What Do You Think Of This Program I Wrote / Please Help Me Test And Give Feedback On An Application I Just Wrote / MESA Compile? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by adewsteve: 12:01pm On Feb 11, 2008
My Fellow nairaander please am writing a java program and am having a problem with the application when i was about to compile all the file with the command "javac Welcome1.java" in the command prompt it was giving me an error message javac is not an inter or external command and i was told in the book that if i get this message that means my sys JSE 5.0 Development kit is not instaled proparly that i should change the path. That is where am facing problem am using windows vista i tried doing that but it was still the same thing anybody know the way out, My Email is adewsteve@yahoo.com I have Ebooks on diff Program topic.
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by Bossman(m): 4:57pm On Feb 11, 2008
You need to add the location of your JDK to your path.
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by my2cents(m): 6:36pm On Feb 11, 2008
Ade:

In case you don't know how, go to your desktop, right-click on "my computer" and make sure your set up is similar to these screenshots. When I last installed the JDK, I was impressed that the wizard set up the class path for me automatically. I guess this isn't the case with you.

p.s.
1) I use Windows XP professional, so what you see on Vista may not the same as these screenshots (I don't use Vista)

2) Forgive my photoshop "skills" - I am not much of a designer cool

I hope this helps.

Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by adewsteve: 6:48pm On Feb 11, 2008
Bossman:

You need to add the location of your JDK to your path.

This is what was at the system path C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_<version>\bin
This is my java file directory c:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14\bin
Could it be where the problem is i await a reply from you.
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by my2cents(m): 6:49pm On Feb 11, 2008
what exactly is in "<version>"?
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by adewsteve: 10:35pm On Feb 11, 2008
my2cents:

Ade:

In case you don't know how, go to your desktop, right-click on "my computer" and make sure your set up is similar to these screenshots. When I last installed the JDK, I was impressed that the wizard set up the class path for me automatically. I guess this isn't the case with you.

p.s.
1) I use Windows XP professional, so what you see on Vista may not the same as these screenshots (I don't use Vista)

2) Forgive my photoshop "skills" - I am not much of a designer cool

I hope this helps.
my2cents:

what exactly is in "<version>"?

Am sorry for disturbing you guys i have change the path to "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14\bin" because that is the directory you can find javac application but yet after re-starting the computer all effort remain the same please do i need to add it like this ", ;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_14\bin"please reply me back the right way to add it, Thanks And God Bless.
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by adewsteve: 10:39pm On Feb 11, 2008
If you don't mind me calling you please paste your phone number as well, i ill give you a call.
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by Bossman(m): 10:42pm On Feb 11, 2008
Read and follow this carefully. If after doing so you still have problems, I would reinstall the JDK. Also, make sure you have ; at the end of your path.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-windows.html
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by my2cents(m): 5:56pm On Feb 12, 2008
This might help clear up some air:

Though a temporary fix, you can avoid the classpath thing altogether by, in DOS, going to where you have your Java installed (probably in the C drive and in java/bin) and doing the following:

1) Type java -version: if something comes up, you are in the right place
2) Either type next "javac (path to java file)" or move the file to the bin folder and run javac *.java for example
3) Then run java (class name, without the .class extension)

NOTE: This is a temporary fix and should only be used if you are doing your regular "hello world" type app. For more serious apps, you gotta set ur classpath man.
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by mimohmi(m): 3:55pm On Mar 03, 2008
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by darth: 2:34am On Mar 07, 2008
Ehm, dude's instead of all this command line wahala why don't you just download netbeans free online at www.netbeans.org.

Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by donjava(m): 11:23am On Mar 07, 2008
cool
Another answer to your problem could be as a result of the CD-ROM,or right click on the My Computer icon on your Desktop,and a dialog box will appear,after that click on the Advanced link of the Dialog box,you will see a Startup and Recovery label on the Dialog box,click on the Enviroment Variables,click on New to set the Class path:jdk1.5.0\bin,make sure that the version that you are using has been properly burned into the CD-Rom.As for Vista that OS sucks,this is one Microsoft failed projects,they should borrow a leaf from OSS.

Keep it Real!
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by candylips(m): 11:18pm On Jul 26, 2008
smiley
Re: Javac Welcome1.java Could Not Compile The Application I Wrote,please Help. by npang(m): 8:41pm On Jul 27, 2008
To test if your path has been properly set just type 'javac' at the command prompt, it should display the list of switches you can use in compiling your code.
Then another thing to configure is the CLASSPATH.
Follow the procedure in setting your path create a new variable 'CLASSPATH' and enter ".;, ;" and add any folder you wish to be storing your java codes.

What exactly is the message at the command prompt when you attempt to compile your Welcome1.java

(1) (Reply)

Anyone That Know Python Programming Should Help Me To Check The Eorr This / Best Programming Language / Books For Kids (Nursery & Primary School Books)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.