Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet (266819 Views)

Google Glass Project: Browse The Web As You Walk Around! / Browse On Your Pc Using Your BlackBerry As A Modem / How Can I Configure My Pc To Browse Using Phone As A Modem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 6:58pm On Nov 29, 2012
For the benefit of those who don't know how to use their blackberry as a modem for their laptop to browse the internet, i will post this short tutorial.

First of all, Download the blackberry desktop manager here if you dont have the CD that came with your phone:

http://uk.blackberry.com/software/desktop.html

After installing, Just connect your blackberry to your laptop using a usb
cable, open the bb desktop manager and make sure it has
connected (it will show the picture of your bb device when
connected and "Sync all" at the bottom right).

After it has connected: Click on the "Tools bar" at the top
Left of the bb manager, then click on "mobile internet
settings", then click on the "Add custom" button, A Box will
appear for filling settings.

For Mtn: Account/profile name: MTNWAP
Username:web
Password:web
Access point:blackberry.net
Dont put anything again, just click on ok and save.

For Airtel: Profile name: AIRTEL NG
Username: internet
Password: internet
Access point: internet.ng.airtel.com
Leave the rest blank and click on ok and save

Now go back to click on the tools bar, then click on "start
mobile internet, it will ask you to connect, do so. Or
alternatively click on "mobile internet" at the bottom left of
the software and connect.
Goodluck..you can check your data balance for airtel by
pressing *123*10# to monitor your data usage and make sure your Bis is on..thanks.

Let me know if it helped or if you all have any questions.

21 Likes

Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by hayplus: 9:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
That was very good of u.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 11:01pm On Nov 29, 2012
hayplus: That was very good of u.

Thanks bro..
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by RICHIEBOI1(m): 11:48pm On Nov 29, 2012
@Haibe, thanks for the settings. but my problem is that my Bold 5 cant connect with the BB desktop software. it shows connecting for along time continuosly without getting connected. pls what am i doing wrong? Regards
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 29, 2012
Has anyone tried it and it worked?
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 11:50pm On Nov 29, 2012
haibe: For the benefit of those who don't know how to use their blackberry as a modem for their laptop to browse the internet, i will post this short tutorial.

First of all, Download the blackberry desktop manager here if you dont have the CD that came with your phone:

http://uk.blackberry.com/software/desktop.html

After installing, Just connect your blackberry to your laptop using a usb
cable, open the bb desktop manager and make sure it has
connected (it will show the picture of your bb device when
connected and "Sync all" at the bottom right).

After it has connected: Click on the "Tools bar" at the top
Left of the bb manager, then click on "mobile internet
settings", then click on the "Add custom" button, A Box will
appear for filling settings.

For Mtn: Account/profile name: MTNWAP
Username:web
Password:web
Access point:web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net
Dont put anything again, just click on ok and save.

For Airtel: Profile name: AIRTEL NG
Username: internet
Password: internet
Access point: internet.ng.airtel.com
Leave the rest blank and click on ok and save

Now go back to click on the tools bar, then click on "start
mobile internet, it will ask you to connect, do so. Or
alternatively click on "mobile internet" at the bottom left of
the software and connect.
Goodluck..you can check your data balance for airtel by
pressing *123*10# to monitor your data usage and make sure your Bis is on..thanks.

Let me know if it helped or if you all have any questions.
what of settings for glo?

2 Likes

Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 5:00am On Nov 30, 2012
RICHIE BOI: @Haibe, thanks for the settings. but my problem is that my Bold 5 cant connect with the BB desktop software. it shows connecting for along time continuosly without getting connected. pls what am i doing wrong? Regards

Try using another Usb cord, maybe the Usb you are using isnt connecting enough power to the system that is necessary 4 the desktop software to load.

If that doesnt work, try updating the bb desktop software and are you sure your Usb mass storage is on? If no please enable it.

It works fine on bold 5, i still configured it for my bro recently
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 5:13am On Nov 30, 2012
blink182: what of settings for glo?

Profile name: GLO
Password: wap
Username: wap
Acess point: glosecure

Leave "additional commands" blank and save, then connect.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by olempe(m): 7:35pm On Nov 30, 2012
blink182: Has anyone tried it and it worked?

After following the above instruction, it connected. But it didn't browse. It shows internet access and 33kbs, but it didn't browse. It couldn't connect my Skype and refused to load webpages.

I'm on Bold 2 and MTN.

So did it work? Yes and No. But Kudos to the op.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by femi4: 8:08pm On Nov 30, 2012
olempe:

After following the above instruction, it connected. But it didn't browse. It shows internet access and 33kbs, but it didn't browse. It couldn't connect my Skype and refused to load webpages.

I'm on Bold 2 and MTN.

So did it work? Yes and No. But Kudos to the op.
Unless you subscribe to a data plan, it won't work
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by olempe(m): 9:05pm On Nov 30, 2012
femi4: Unless you subscribe to a data plan, it won't work

of course my BIS is stil verry active.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 02, 2012
olempe:

of course my BIS is stil verry active.
not BIS, he meant data plan for modems or phones. If your bis worked like that, nobody will buy normal data plan.

1 Like

Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 10:33am On Dec 02, 2012
Olempe it should work except the service in your area is bad, your Bis is what you will use(you are right), Bis is in form of a data plan except the unlimited one, so as long as your bis is active, it will definitely work, i still use mine, i use airtel 1400 and i check my remaining Bis data with *123*10#.. Try again when the service in your area is good, sometimes it fails to connect when the service is bad..thanks

3 Likes

Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 10:35am On Dec 02, 2012
blink182: not BIS, he meant data plan for modems or phones. If your bis worked like that, nobody will buy normal data plan.

I actually meant BIS, your bis is made with data plans and thats why you can check the remaining left except if its unlimited, i use my Bis to browse on my laptop.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 02, 2012
haibe:

I actually meant BIS, your bis is made with data plans and thats why you can check the remaining left except if its unlimited, i use my Bis to browse on my laptop.
Really?
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Chikebrain: 10:59pm On Dec 02, 2012
You could use your MTN BIS to browse unlimited on your PC using a VPN that connects through UDP or ICMP.
You could mail me on chike.louis@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 11:40pm On Dec 02, 2012
Chikebrain: You could use your MTN BIS to browse unlimited on your PC using a VPN that connects through UDP or ICMP.
You could mail me on chike.louis@yahoo.com

Thanks
thanks, no one is interested.

13 Likes

Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 6:01pm On Dec 03, 2012
blink182: Really?

Sure..just try it.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 7:47pm On Dec 03, 2012
haibe:

Sure..just try it.
my BB didn't come with a CD so will try to get one and try this ASAP.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by pcnwamadi(m): 8:38pm On Dec 04, 2012
tanks for dis wonderful info...
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by olempe(m): 9:32am On Dec 05, 2012
haibe:

At last, it connected and worked! But it was my credit that was deducted, not my data plan
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 05, 2012
olempe:

At last, it connected and worked! But it was my credit that was deducted, not my data plan
haven't tried this, but I doubt bis would support it. Just have to wait till I try it.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Csc42554: 1:09pm On Dec 05, 2012
Etisalat nko
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Rexyl(m): 4:04pm On Dec 07, 2012
olempe:

There are two settings for glo, one works on the data plan the other shorts the credit
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 9:59am On Dec 08, 2012
pcnwamadi: tanks for dis wonderful info...

U welcom
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 10:00am On Dec 08, 2012
olempe:

What line did u say u are using please?
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 10:10am On Dec 08, 2012
@Csc try this for ur Etisalat

. Account/Profile Name = Etisalat Internet
• Username = (Please leave it blank)
• Password = (Please leave it blank)
• Access Point Name (APN) = etisalat

Leave the additional command space blank also..thanks.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 10:20am On Dec 08, 2012
blink182: haven't tried this, but I doubt bis would support it. Just have to wait till I try it.

I thought i told you i use my airtel bis to browse on my laptop(its very fast), my sister uses mtn and my bro uses glo..all working fine with BIS.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 10:59am On Dec 08, 2012
haibe:

I thought i told you i use my airtel bis to browse on my laptop(its very fast), my sister uses mtn and my bro uses glo..all working fine with BIS.
please can you provide the settings that does not short credit instead uses data plan.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2012
blink182: please can you provide the settings that does not short credit instead uses data plan.

Just re-read my posts above.
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by Nobody: 1:37pm On Dec 08, 2012
haibe:

Just re-read my posts above.
lol, no mind me jor, I was thinking it was OP that posted that glo settings, didn't bother to read poster name.

Will get the CD soon as I can't risk wasting all my data to download 120mb. Thanks
Re: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem To Browse The Internet by haibe(m): 3:57pm On Dec 08, 2012
blink182: lol, no mind me jor, I was thinking it was OP that posted that glo settings, didn't bother to read poster name.

Will get the CD soon as I can't risk wasting all my data to download 120mb. Thanks

I did post the glo settings and it works without taking your credit..av u tried it and it took ur credit? Olempe was talking about Mtn i guess but i still doubt it takes credit becos av tried it myself and it did not..Just get the bb desktop software disk and follow the settings for glo, it will surely work..thanks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Windows 10 Problems And Solutions (official Microsoft Windows 10 links added) / Ubuntu Linux / Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.