Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,830 members, 7,806,335 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:58 PM

Dual Channel Ram Vs Unpaired Ram (what Do They Mean, Anyway?) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Dual Channel Ram Vs Unpaired Ram (what Do They Mean, Anyway?) (4322 Views)

Hp 255 G4 Amd Dual Core-1.4ghz (2gb,500gb Hdd) Laptop ₦ 87,700 / Best Isp Provider - Fibre Optic Channel / What Does "poke" Mean On Facebook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dual Channel Ram Vs Unpaired Ram (what Do They Mean, Anyway?) by Nobody: 4:06pm On Feb 11, 2008
i took possession of a preconfigured dell precision m90 laptop sometime last year. it came with 2gb of ram. as a result of 'chook eye' i decided to upgrade to 3gb of ram-  since the system can support 4gb of ram(actauly any sys running a intel 945 v chipset will only see 3.25gb of ram - but thats another story)

in typical murphy fashioon, it was after i bought 1 gb of ram at pc village, got home and opened my system that i found that the laptop only has 2 DIMM slots ( i'd assumed that it came with 4 DIMM slots)which means if i want to upgrade to 3gb i need to buy a 2gb ram stick .which brings me to my question-

it appears there something called dual channel mode, which implies that ram must be paired ie 512 to 512, 1gb to 1gb, 2gb to 2gb .

it appears there may be some issues in using 1gb of ram with 2gb of ram(unpaired mode) . i haven't found that much info on the net.

dakmanzero, r u there?

anyway, i'd appreciate if anyone could confirm if my system will not support unpaired ram, or if it will take a performamnce hit if i choose to use it. thanks
Re: Dual Channel Ram Vs Unpaired Ram (what Do They Mean, Anyway?) by gregstar: 5:30pm On Feb 11, 2008
I have only experienced that with a Dell Server. i have never experienced it with a laptop. I think your best bet would be to take ur PC to PC Villa so they can test.
In the case od servers, if the RAM modules dont match, it will notify at bios. So i gues it should be the same for Laptops. If it wont work, it wont boot.
Hope this helps
Re: Dual Channel Ram Vs Unpaired Ram (what Do They Mean, Anyway?) by Maleeq(m): 12:02am On Feb 12, 2008
Well, your systems would. . .should still work just fine with the unpaired memory. Memory pairs are necessary when you want to operate the memory modules in dual channel mode. Benchmark tests have shown that there's almost no significant improvement in running dual channel mode over single channel mode.

In your case, the 1GB + 2GB memory modules would result in 3GB in single channel mode. Within the bounds of my knowledge, there's should be no adverse effect in this pair.

You could read some more about these on this site: Memory Architecture
Re: Dual Channel Ram Vs Unpaired Ram (what Do They Mean, Anyway?) by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 13, 2008
@ maleeq,

thanx. . .

now if i can just convince the dude who sold me the 1gb ram to take it back. . .( sort of like a camel going thru the eye of a needle. . . )
Re: Dual Channel Ram Vs Unpaired Ram (what Do They Mean, Anyway?) by Maleeq(m): 11:51am On Feb 13, 2008
If the dude is reasonable, that should not be much of an issue. . .atleast, since you'll be getting another memory module from him still.

(1) (Reply)

I'm Having A Problem Signing In To My Yahoo Mail Account On My Laptop,help Plz / **SOLD SOLD**||Newly Arrived From The United States (hp Elite X2 1012 G1) / CLEAN US USED 7TH GEN CORE I5 HP LAPTOP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.