Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,984 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! (30140 Views)

Soldiers Nab Bomb Makers In Gombe (see What They Recovered) / Nigeria History Makers In Pictures / New Cbn Report Catalogues Mess In Power Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by professore(m): 11:35am On Jun 30, 2016
This is innformative
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by Arsheda(m): 11:46am On Jun 30, 2016
He didnt say 1st to bring islam, he said Jihad!
AndreUweh:
@ no 19, Usman dan Fodio did not introduce islam in Northern Nigeria. Islam was already rooted in the north even before the birth of Fodio. However, well done bro.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by lordkhalifa(m): 11:50am On Jun 30, 2016
tomakint:
Nigeria has come a long way, some personalities and events have shaped the history of this great country, below are some personalities worth mentioning, if you feel there are some individuals worth being on that list you may add them up strictly in the spirit of history of our great country;
(1) Herbert Macaulay was the first Nigerian to own a car.
(2) Bishop Ajayi Crowther was the first Nigerian (African) Bishop. He was also the first man to translate the English Bible into a Nigerian language (Yoruba Language).
(3) Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the first man to introduce Universal Primary Education in Nigeria in the then Western Region in the year 1956.
(4) The name Nigeria was given by Flora Shaw, then girlfriend of Lord Lugard.
(5) Mary Slessor was the first Missionary to stop the killing of twins in Nigeria, she started I Calabar.
(6) The first Aeroplane landed in Kano in the year 1925.
(7) The first indigenous Inspector-General of Police is Mr. Louis O. Edet.
(8 ) The Nigerian Flag was designed by a Nigerian student in London as at then in the year 1960 by Mr. Taiwo Akinkunmi.
(9) The first ever Nigerian National Anthem was written by Miss Lynda U. Williams from Britain. The anthem was composed by Miss Francisca Benda.
(10) The National Anthem was composed by Assistant Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ben Odiase.
(11) Abuja was declared Federal Capital Territory on 4th February,1976 by General Ramat Murtala Mohammed.
(12) Usman Dan Fodio was the first man to launch a Jihad against then Northern Nigeria in 1802.
(13) Formal education started in Nigeria in 1842.
(14) University College, the first standard University in Nigeria was established in the year 1948 at Ibadan.
(15) The first female to drive a motor car was Mrs. Olufunmilayo Ransome Kuti.
(16) The first Eclipse of the Sun by the Moon occurred in Nigeria in 1947.
(17) The first hospital in Nigeria was established in Abeokuta, Ogun State on 27th January 1895.
(18) The first Psychiatric Hospital was established in Calabar, Cross Rivers State of Nigeria in the year 1903
(19) Shehu Usman Dan Fodio introduced Islamic religion to the northern part of Nigeria in the year 1804.
(20) The first Nigerian (and the first black-skinned African) to win a Nobel Laureate was Professor Wole Soyinka, he won the coveted Nobel Laureate in Literature in the year 1986.
(21) Chief Emeka Anyaoku was the first Nigerian to become the Secretary-General of Commonwealth of Nations and the first African to be President of World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
(22) Professor Chike Obi was the first Nigerian Professor of Mathematics.
(23) Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe was the first indigenous President of Nigeria.
(24) Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was the first Prime Minister of Nigeria.
(25) General Aguiyi Ironsi was the first military Head of State of Nigeria.
(26) Dr Teslim Elias was the first Attorney-General of Nigeria.
(27) Dr Clement Isong was the first Governor of Central Bank of Nigeia.
(28) Professor Grace Alele Williams was the first female Vice-Chancellor in Nigeria.
(29) Flora Nwakpa was the first female author in Nigeria.
(30) Chinyere Onyemachara was the first female pilot in Nigeria.
(31) Dr Elizabeth Abimbola was the first female doctor in Nigeria.
(32) Mrs. Latifat Okunnu was the first female deputy Governor in Nigeria.
(33) Mrs Dorothy Miller was the first female Commissioner in Nigeria.
(34) Mrs Efunroye Tinubu was the first female to buy a car in Nigeria.
(35) Sapara Williams (a Nigerian) was the first Black Lawyer in Africa.

(12) Usman Dan Fodio was the first man to launch a
Jihad against then Northern Nigeria in 1802.
Usman the father of Nigeria modern terrorism...

Chioma ajunwa became the first athlete in
Nigeria to win an Olympic gold medal at the
1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, and to date
remains Nigeria's only individual Olympic gold
medalist....
Ojukwu was the first graduate to join the
Nigerian army
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by RingimKabir(m): 12:02pm On Jun 30, 2016
AndreUweh:
@ no 19, Usman dan Fodio did not introduce islam in Northern Nigeria. Islam was already rooted in the north even before the birth of Fodio. However, well done bro.

Exactly what I wanted to say. Thanks bro!
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by omolola15(m): 12:12pm On Jun 30, 2016
Arsheda:
He didnt say 1st to bring islam, he said Jihad!

Please read no 19 again.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by mfm04622: 12:33pm On Jun 30, 2016
tomakint:

I mean who actually brought the religion to the northern part of this country? Any clue?

No single person can be singled out for that honor. Islam came to present day Nigeria through trade contact. There are Muslims far down as Yoruba land even before the Jihad! Islam even came to Yoruba land before masquerades worship was introduced!

1 Like

Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by weezii(m): 12:36pm On Jun 30, 2016
Real history.

Back in the days when nairaland was Nairaland.
Thanks mods
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by tomakint: 1:01pm On Jun 30, 2016
mfm04622:

No single person can be singled out for that honor. Islam came to present day Nigeria through trade contact. There are Muslims far down as Yoruba land even before the Jihad! Islam even came to Yoruba land before masquerades worship was introduced!
Really? I am really learning a lot here.......but can you tell me the date Islam was introduced to us here and by whom.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by Okpueze1(m): 1:11pm On Jun 30, 2016
24. Sir Louis Ojukwu was the first West African black Millionaire.

25. Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu was the First military graduate in Nigeria. He was also the First African Undergraduate to own and drive a Rolls Royse as a student.

26. Major Gen. Ifeajuna was the first black African to win an Olympic gold medal in high jump.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by fairheven: 1:11pm On Jun 30, 2016

True... The CV of some of the major players in the first republic is quite scary... Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, LSE, Imperial College, MIT, Kings College, Warwick etc. and most of them graduated with 1st class degrees... If those people at that time in our history could be so brilliant(and they overachieved, to be honest) - how come this generation is so messed up?? angry angry

they never laid a solid foundation for the next generation
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by AminuRano87(m): 1:54pm On Jun 30, 2016
tomakint:

I mean who actually brought the religion to the northern part of this country? Any clue?
Islam was introduced to northern Nigeria since 14th century by Arab traders from North Africa I.e Egypt, Morocco etc coming to Kano to buy slaves, Groundnut, Horses etc
What Usman Fodio did was establishment of Islamic government of emirs through war I.e JIHAD
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by geez18(m): 2:14pm On Jun 30, 2016
i'm still trying to understand the sixteenth entry on your list. is it that the eclipse occured for the very first time in Nigeria or that it was first recorded at that date? either way,i don't see how an eclipse may not have occured in this region for a thousand or five hundred or even say a hundred years prior!
i think that entry,(16),has to be rechecked and corrected.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 30, 2016
Buhari is the first person to become president without a WAEC certificate...
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by semitunde: 2:18pm On Jun 30, 2016
Okpueze1:

25. Dim Chukwuemeka Odimegwu Ojukwu was the First military graduate in Nigeria. He was also the First African Undergraduate to own and drive a Rolls Royse as a student.

26. Major Gen. Ifeajuna was the first black African to win an Olympic gold medal in high jump.

I think No 24 was deemed a myth by mayoroflagos and his crew. The thread went with the Nairaland hack.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by OlivetBen(m): 2:28pm On Jun 30, 2016
tomakint:

Really? I never knew that! But who introduced the religion then? Any clue?

Based on what I read and what I've been taught so far, it was usman dan fordio that conquered the hausa's who were the original occupant of the north and introduced islam there. After that, they staged war also @kwara and conquered there partially and introduced Islam there also. Though I don't know the guys version of the story. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by omonla555: 2:36pm On Jun 30, 2016
AndreUweh:
The first Nigerian indigenous university established in Nsukka in 1960.

These Ibos and tribalism. What is indigenous University? Cow be informed that UI is the first Nigerian University.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by tomakint: 2:44pm On Jun 30, 2016
AminuRano87:
Islam was introduced to northern Nigeria since 14th century by Arab traders from North Africa I.e Egypt, Morocco etc coming to Kano to buy slaves, Groundnut, Horses etc
What Usman Fodio did was establishment of Islamic government of emirs through war I.e JIHAD
The questions now is, who are these Arab traders? What is your source? Any documentation to prove the validity of your claim? What we were thought those days is that Uthman Dan Fodio a Fulani Jihadist from Mali conquered the Pagan Northern Nigeria and thereby installing Islamic Caliphate across his conquered territories which in return spread Islamic teachings that eventually across Nigeria.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by udorwhite(m): 5:51pm On Jun 30, 2016
Chioma Ajunwa was d first female 2 win olympic Gold medal in nigeria
Strong black women - kiss kiss kiss

(28) Professor Grace Alele Williams was the first female Vice-Chancellor in Nigeria.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by DobleO7: 6:35pm On Jun 30, 2016
tomakint:

I mean when he pen down that move at a time Lagos was still underpopulated and needing more attention that befits a City at that time. It was actually a move that cost the young country then tons and tons of funds, which were massively wasted trust me Katz that was the Genesis of Nigeria's debt problem. that guy (Murtala) would have made a mincemeat of this great country if he had stayed a little bit longer cool

I read through your post and that of the person you quoted above and I saw sense of history. This same Murtala Mohammed was honored by being the only military leader to have his image on Nigeria currency.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by tomakint: 6:42pm On Jun 30, 2016
DobleO7:

I read through your post and that of the person you quoted above and I saw sense of history. This same Murtala Mohammed was honored by being the only military leader to have his image on Nigeria currency.
It is a common knowledge that Murtala is not fit to be a soldier let alone a Commander in the Army going by his antecedents during the Civil War....Obasanjo the cunning General was Murtala's boy hence he named an International Airport and a currency N20 as a way to honour his friend and Oga out of fear to pacify the ruling North. That is Nigeria for you.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by sharpchap: 6:57pm On Jun 30, 2016
Dame Virgi Etiaba, first female governor in Nigeria.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by Twy: 7:24pm On Jun 30, 2016
19 and 27 are wrong, the Abimbola bit is technically correct, she was the first to practice medicine in the country but not the first Nigerian female dcotor.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by mattyboy007(m): 7:28pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nyc one
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by DobleO7: 7:42pm On Jun 30, 2016
tomakint:

It is a common knowledge that Murtala is not fit to be a soldier let alone a Commander in the Army going by his antecedents during the Civil War....Obasanjo the cunning General was Murtala's boy hence he named an International Airport and a currency N20 as a way to honour his friend and Oga out of fear to pacify the ruling North. That is Nigeria for you.

He actually lead the counter coup that ousted Aguyi Ironsi and his plan initially was to pull the North of Nigeria.
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by AdiscoPele: 8:16pm On Jun 30, 2016
Okpueze1:

@26, 1st, Emmanuel Ifeajuna was never a Major General but a Major, and 2, he was NEVER the 1st African Undergrad to win an Olympic gold medal, but instead he won a COMMONWEALTH GOLD MEDAL.

1 Like

Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by akinyetun(m): 8:16pm On Jun 30, 2016
The NYSC Anthem was composed by Prof. Oluwole Adetiran (MON).
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by AdiscoPele: 8:19pm On Jun 30, 2016
tomakint:
Nigeria has come a long way, some personalities and events have shaped the history of this great country, below are some personalities worth mentioning, if you feel there are some individuals worth being on that list you may add them up strictly in the spirit of history of our great country;
(2) Bishop Ajayi Crowther was the first Nigerian (African) Bishop. He was also the first man to translate the English Bible into a Nigerian language (Yoruba Language).
(3) Chief Obafemi Awolowo was the first man to introduce Universal Primary Education in Nigeria in the then Western Region in the year 1956.
(5) Mary Slessor was the first Missionary to stop the killing of twins in Nigeria, she started I Calabar.
(8 ) The Nigerian Flag was designed by a Nigerian student in London as at then in the year 1960 by Mr. Taiwo Akinkunmi.
(9) The first ever Nigerian National Anthem was written by Miss Lynda U. Williams from Britain. The anthem was composed by Miss Francisca Benda.
(10) The National Anthem was composed by Assistant Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ben Odiase.
(11) Abuja was declared Federal Capital Territory on 4th February,1976 by General Ramat Murtala Mohammed.
(12) Usman Dan Fodio was the first man to launch a Jihad against then Northern Nigeria in 1802.
(14) University College, the first standard University in Nigeria was established in the year 1948 at Ibadan.
(17) The first hospital in Nigeria was established in Abeokuta, Ogun State on 27th January 1895.
(18) The first Psychiatric Hospital was established in Calabar, Cross Rivers State of Nigeria in the year 1903
(19) Shehu Usman Dan Fodio introduced Islamic religion to the northern part of Nigeria in the year 1804.
(20) The first Nigerian (and the first black-skinned African) to win a Nobel Laureate was Professor Wole Soyinka, he won the coveted Nobel Laureate in Literature in the year 1986.
(21) Chief Emeka Anyaoku was the first Nigerian to become the Secretary-General of Commonwealth of Nations and the first African to be President of World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).

Sir Adetokunbo Ademola was the 1st Indigenious Chief Judge in Nigeria
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by ABAMOWA: 8:54pm On Jun 30, 2016
tomakint:

So, Fodio was the first Nigerian Terrorist

1 Like

Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by Ritchiee: 9:23pm On Jun 30, 2016
mfm04622:

Yes,exactly 600 and something years before the arrival of Christianity.......NA WAH O grin
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by meforyou1(m): 9:37pm On Jun 30, 2016
Op, 27 is wrong. 1st indigenous governor of CBN is Mai-Bornu
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by akigbemaru: 11:51pm On Jun 30, 2016
nigerian history
Re: Catalogues Of History Makers In Nigeria! by tolababa(m): 1:07am On Jul 01, 2016
tomakint:

Albert Lutuli (won in 1960) was the first African to win a Nobel Laureate and not my uncle WS but he was the first African and black person to win in literature category. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ruga: Ooni Of Ife, Wole Soyinka Tell Nigerians To Defend Their Ancestral Lands / Atiku V Tinubu: Presidential Elections Tribunal Reserves Judgement / Ngige's Threat To Banks; See Labour Acts Breached By Banks: Know Your Right!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.