Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? (5731 Views)

Make Likes Public (re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful?) / Did You Make Nairaland Frontpage In 2012? / Nairaland More Beneficial Than Facebook? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Seun(m): 2:24pm On Dec 05, 2012
Dear Webmasters,

How can we make Nairaland more beautiful without changing the structure? I'm looking for simple design tricks & tweaks to apply using CSS with only minor changes to our HTML structure to make Nairaland more beautiful on both personal computers and mobile devices.

Thanks in advance!
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by maclatunji: 2:30pm On Dec 05, 2012
Use more tabs instead of word links.

2 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Afam4eva(m): 2:32pm On Dec 05, 2012
maclatunji: Use more tabs instead of word links.
Tabs tend to make the site heavier and slower.

I just think until Nairaland started diversifying to other products then the boring header can be changed then. But for now it should be left the way it is.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by sisqology(m): 2:33pm On Dec 05, 2012
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Seun(m): 2:34pm On Dec 05, 2012
maclatunji: Use more tabs instead of word links.
Hmmm. What would that look like?
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by FreeGlobe(f): 2:34pm On Dec 05, 2012
I think its good like this most especially on mobile devices. The double ads each before and after is reaching though. one a piece is decent and will be more effective. The color on mobile too is cool. ve not really studied the web version because I don't use Nairaland on my laptop but from the times ve used it, I think it definitely needs some touchings.
BTW, The only design tricks and tweaks we need is for you to caution mukina2 or relieve the dictatorial and biased moderating job from her/him.
my 2 shillings

2 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by maclatunji: 2:36pm On Dec 05, 2012
Upgrade the profile page to make it customizable for Nairalanders. I am sure many people would like their profile page to be more of an expression of their taste and style. People like me might keep it mundane but others should be allowed to be expressive. I would also like to see people allowed to bookmark/highlight/favourite some of their posts and organise them as they see fit here.

2 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by okeyxyz(m): 2:40pm On Dec 05, 2012
I personally don't see anything wrong with the structure and look of nairaland. What you should tackle are your moderators.They just keep promoting the silliest of topics to front page. They seem to be collaborating with their friends to push topics of their own tiny interest. Nairaland is steadily turning into a forum of secondary school crowd.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:41pm On Dec 05, 2012
maclatunji: Upgrade the profile page to make it customizable for Nairalanders. I am sure many people would like their profile page to be more of an expression of their taste and style. People like me might keep it mundane but others should be allowed to be expressive. I would also like to see people allowed to bookmark/highlight/favourite some of their posts and organise them as they see fit here.

In addition:

-I need to know who likes my posts. grin

-I need to see date and time a quote was originally posted.

7 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by maclatunji: 2:45pm On Dec 05, 2012
Seun:
Hmmm. What would that look like?

You can have a look at http://www.digg.com. Simple unobtrusive tabs.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
Seriously now, I think the mobile version is still too plain. The main site loads well on mobile devices though.

If you introduce a personal mail box, will it affect the structure in anyway?

2 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:49pm On Dec 05, 2012
maclatunji:

You can have a look at http://www.digg.com. Simple unobtrusive tabs.

U are right. Tabs will make it look neater and more beautiful. Probably just the upper links should be changed.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Afam4eva(m): 2:50pm On Dec 05, 2012
Tgirl4real:

In addition:

Your head dey there.

But i think this thread is more about beauty than anything else.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 2:53pm On Dec 05, 2012
afam4eva:
Your head dey there.

But i think this thread is more about beauty than anything else.

Thanks.

Personally, I interpret "more beautiful" for NL as more user-friendly, more engaging and more appealing.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Freiburger(m): 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2012
Tgirl4real:

The number of likes a user can give should be limited to maybe 5 in every 24 hours. what do you guys think? and there should be a way other users can see the number of likes a member have in his/her profile.

3 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by dont8(m): 2:54pm On Dec 05, 2012
In addition, I need to dislike some posts here, so give us a dislike button.

Tgirl4real:

In addition:

3 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by ayobase(m): 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2012
''Mobile's view and settings'' is very okay for me.
Unless u wanna add some buttons, like dislike, slap, whip and the likes....IM SERIOUS!

''Computer view'' of NL2 is not just it at all...too simple and boring to work it. Maybe cos Im used to mobile's.

Lets do more work on ''PC's view and settings''.

To make it more beautiful with those mentioned by other NLers above, lets become strict on NL's rules and regulations....we should start from there!
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by 2sexy(m): 3:13pm On Dec 05, 2012
Well for me, what I would like to see is the names of people who like my comments. We could also have a "thank" button.

Most of the international forum where I hang out have this features and one can be able to see who "thank or like" posts.

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
And please Seun, don't move this thread to the homepage, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by ayobase(m): 3:19pm On Dec 05, 2012
Will the handles of those that 'like' be displayed for everybody to see or for only the 'liked' handle?
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by yusufu16: 3:21pm On Dec 05, 2012
1. I need to be able to recommend a thread to my friend on nairaland and also one who is not on nairaland
2. I want to be able to comment on somebody's post directly with the 'Comment' link or button

Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
Tgirl4real:

In addition:

Yes, I also need to know who like my posts.

But I think in terms of beauty, the current structure isnt that bad.

2 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 05, 2012
Abeg. Nairaland is tight the way it is. I'd suggest you leave it as it is. You've already done a wonderful job.

3 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by kaysy(m): 4:00pm On Dec 05, 2012
1. i need to share a thread i consider useful with my friends on facebook and also twitter
2. Allow for thread delete by the poster if they consider it no more in place
3. if it's possible to allow for thread logo or badge, it will be a nice idea (Thumbnail)
4. We need Niaraland PM without linking to our Yahoo mail
5. Maybe we should add people's age alongside their names [e.g Kaysy(27m)] or [Kaysy(27)(m)] because children here dnt have respect any longer
6. Please teach ur moderators what it takes to be a moderator, some of them don't know the job of a moderator so they're really misusing the admin access granted to them
7. Allow for up to 9 Nairaland Ads on each side of the front page, i know it can take up to that, currently its 5 each side now
8. There are some sub-section that are not necessary at all, i think they should be deleted and the threads in them moved to the main section
9. Give a thread owner some power to rule over his own thread but they can't delete a post from others
10. disable the post hiding ability completely (if there must be pure and real democracy here) people in the politics section can bear me witness
11. Am coming back with more other opinion.... Please wait...

4 Likes

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by TableLeg(m): 4:02pm On Dec 05, 2012
Plant trees and flowers in the land!

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
ayobase: Will the handles of those that 'like' be displayed for everybody to see or for only the 'liked' handle?

For the liked handle of course. U wan cause katakata for NL. Fight go sele if everyone see it o. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
kaysy:
8. There are some sub-section that are not necessary at all, i think they should be deleted and the threads in them moved to the main section

OK. This part really makes sense.

In addition, we need more meaningful sections.

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:12pm On Dec 05, 2012
yusufu16: 1. I need to be able to recommend a thread to my friend on nairaland and also one who is not on nairaland
2. I want to be able to comment on somebody's post directly with the 'Comment' link or button

Thanks

You can do this already. Just click on quote under the person's post instead of using reply.

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by databoy247(m): 5:01pm On Dec 05, 2012
Were are the professional webmasters of this board? I think their opinion matters most. You guys have not really said anything.
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:10pm On Dec 05, 2012
databoy247: Were are the professional webmasters of this board? I think their opinion matters most. You guys have not really said anything.

Thank u. Pls, talk ur own. tongue

1 Like

Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by Tedyk(m): 5:13pm On Dec 05, 2012
I agree with d #fact dat d likes should exposed and known by dos who like d comment but @ same tym both likes and comment should be redirect 2 emails
Re: How Can We Make Nairaland More Beautiful? by OAM4J: 5:33pm On Dec 05, 2012
Tgirl4real: And please Seun, don't move this thread to the homepage, plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz grin grin grin

Why?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 New Breathtaking Difficulties You Won't Escape As A Writer/Blogger[WHAT TO DO] / How To Create A Social Networking Site Like Facebook Using Wapka / Top 30 Reasons Why Students Should Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.