Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,956 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey (4242 Views)

Nigerian Billionaire Folorunsho Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman / Lagos Socialite, Gbenga Islander In Hot Romance With Ex Senator, Folashade Bent. / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by ajetunde: 4:04pm On Dec 05, 2012
Oprah Winfrey has lost her long-held title as the richest black woman in the world to a Nigerian oil tycoon, according to a report by an African business magazine.

Edging out Oprah is Folorunsho Alakija, a 61-year-old woman from Nigeria who is reportedly worth at least $3.2 billion, or roughly $500 million more than Oprah's $2.7 billion net worth, Ventures Africa reported.

Alakija is the founder and owner of Famfa Oil, which owns a 60 per cent interest in OML 127, an offshore oil field that produces roughly 200,000 barrels of oil per day and is worth an estimated $6.44 billion.

Also a fashion designer and philanthropist, Alakija is married and has four grown sons, as well as one grandchild. She owns at least $100 million in real estate and $46 million private jet, Ventures Africa reported.

Born into a wealthy Nigerian family, Alakija started out as a secretary in the mid 1970s at the now defunct International Merchant Bank of Nigeria.

Source - http://liveofofo.com/entertainment/celebrity/folashade-alakija-now-worlds-richest-black-woman-beating-oprah-winfrey/

Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by k2039: 4:26pm On Dec 05, 2012
How come we never heard of her before now.

It's really a good news for her(not really a good news for the masses, lol), congratulations.
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 05, 2012
^^I know. She just seems to have appeared out of nowhere. This oil business can make somebody stinking rich in the blink of an eye. cool
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Mobinga: 4:49pm On Dec 05, 2012
Eating that money on the low.

1 Like

Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by soundtruth(m): 5:09pm On Dec 05, 2012
is she not a front for one of them corrupt thieving leaders?
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Lasinoh: 11:08pm On Dec 05, 2012
I always knew that MARRIED hookers were more gutsy than SINGLE hookers! cheesy

Born into a wealthy Nigerian family, Alakija started out as a secretary in the mid 1970s at the now defunct International Merchant Bank of Nigeria.

Only in Yoruba land will we have 'hairdressers' and 'secretaries' rise to billionaire status! grin

Even wiki does not have anything on this 'billionaire rockette'!
How did she do it? wink
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 12:28am On Dec 06, 2012
Lasinoh: I always knew that MARRIED hookers were more gutsy than SINGLE hookers! cheesy

Only in Yoruba land will we have 'hairdressers' and 'secretaries' rise to billionaire status! grin

Even wiki does not have anything on this 'billionaire rockette'!
How did she do it? wink

Don't forget Stella Oduah!!!
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Lasinoh: 1:27am On Dec 06, 2012
0lumide:

Don't forget Stella Oduah!!!

What about her? undecided
Did GEJ make her a 'billionairess' too? shocked
At least she was neither an hair-dresser like 'Madam Etteh' nor a secretary like 'yours truly'!
The Yoruba women seem to be the 'alatas' of the pile.
Which kain 'babalawos' dem dey use? grin
From secretary to billionaire? shocked No 'school cert'? grin
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 1:30am On Dec 06, 2012
Lasinoh:

What about her? undecided
Did GEJ make her a 'billionairess' too? shocked

Did GEJ make Mrs Alakija rich? lmao!!! You are so clueless

Mrs Alakija and Stella Oduah are both oil "moguls" or is Stellah Oduah innocent now? hahahahahaha
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Lasinoh: 1:32am On Dec 06, 2012
0lumide:

Did GEJ make Mrs Alakija rich? lmao!!! You are so clueless

Mrs Alakija and Stella Oduah are both oil "moguls" or is Stellah Oduah innocent now? hahahahahaha

You seem to know more than I do.
Please, what is her background?
How did she do it? wink
All we know is that she was born into 'money' and at 61, we are just knowing this? grin
Only Jonathan can 'catapault' women to such celestial heights! cheesy

How come 'Stella' is not a billionaire?
Is this oil 'mogulship' conferred in the bedrooms or on top of RIVER CONGOS? wink

Me sef wanno be a 'mongol' o! How do I qualify? tongue
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by djustice: 2:06am On Dec 06, 2012
Lasinoh:

How did she do it? wink
All we know is that she was born into 'money' and at 61, we are just knowing this? grin

Is this oil 'mogulship' conferred in the bedrooms or on top of RIVER CONGOS? wink

She was born into old, quiet, but overwhelming money. She is a daughter of the late Alhaji Lamidi Ogbara, a multi-billionaire from Ikorodu. Ibukun Awosika is one of her sisters. The family is quite wealthy, with property interests once rumoured to encompass more than half of Lagos Island!! Her father was also an avid player in the stock market and was a substantial shareholder in quite a large number of companies, including the former Eko International Bank. She'd already had a stellar career herself as a fashion designer with her Supreme Stitches label, before persuading IBB through the late Maryam Babangida to award her company an oil block.

That her siblings like Ibukun Awosika and people like Razak and Hakeem Ogbara were already billionaires in their own right before their father's demise a few years ago is testament to the work ethic and business acumen of the entire Ogbara family.

Don't hate, guys. Emulate. Work hard! Work smart.
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 2:10am On Dec 06, 2012
djustice:

She was born into old, quiet, but overwhelming money. She is a daughter of the late Alhaji Lamidi Ogbara, a multi-billionaire from Ikorodu. Ibukun Awosika is one of her sisters. The family is quite wealthy, with property interests once rumoured to encompass more than half of Lagos Island!! Her father was also an avid player in the stock market and was a substantial shareholder in quite a large number of companies, including the former Eko International Bank. She'd already had a stellar career herself as a fashion designer with her Supreme Stitches label, before persuading IBB through the late Maryam Babangida to award her company an oil block.

That her siblings like Ibukun Awosika and people like Razak and Hakeem Ogbara were already billionaires in their own right before their father's demise a few years ago is testament to the work ethic and business acumen of the entire Ogbara family.

Thanks you ooo!!!

Lasinoh:

How did she do it? wink

Now tell us about Stella Oduah!!!!!!!! Note any lie you tell will be brought out! I have her nephew in my apartment right now!!! Now lie let me catch you!
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Lasinoh: 2:45am On Dec 06, 2012
djustice:

[b]She was born into [size=20pt]old, quiet, but overwhelming money.[/size] She is a daughter of the late Alhaji Lamidi Ogbara, a multi-billionaire from Ikorodu. Ibukun Awosika is one of her sisters. The family is quite wealthy, with property interests once rumoured to encompass more than half of Lagos Island!! Her father was also an avid player in the stock market and was a substantial shareholder in quite a large number of companies, including the former Eko International Bank. She'd already had a stellar career herself as a fashion designer with her Supreme Stitches label, before persuading IBB through the late Maryam Babangida to award her company an oil block.

Don't hate, guys. Emulate. Work hard! Work smart.[/b]

What?
Do you think you are addressing a 'free education' recipient/drunk illiterate from Ikorodu? cheesy
I asked you for her qualifications and you go on to tell me of her father's this and her siblings that!
HOW DID SHE BECOME A BILLIIONAIRE? By jumping from secretary to 'fashion' designer. . . to being a 'lobbyist' for an OIL BLOCK FROM MARYAM IBB? undecided
By inheritance and lobbying? shocked YOU NOR DEY SHAME TO TELL THE WORLD THIS KAIN RUBBISH? angry

WHAT KIND OF BILLIONIARE IS THAT? cheesy
Who are you supposed to impress with all these 'my father handed me down' old money jazz with? ONLY AN IKORODU INDIGENE FOR SURE. When Dangote dies. . . we can call all his children billionaires too abi?
You are funny o! Satan save Nigeria from hopelessness!God has since failed Nigerians with faulty reasoning!
LWKMD!!!!!! grin

0lumide:
Thanks you ooo!!!
Now tell us about Stella Oduah!!!!!!!! Note any lie you tell will be brought out! I have her nephew in my apartment right now!!! Now lie let me catch you!

. . . AND WHO IS THIS? undecided
You think this is your 'usual' YORUBA VS IGBO NL rubbish here? Who has time for that CYBER GYM FOR RABID, ETHNIC-JINGOISM/BUFFOONERY? undecided

I never heard of Stella Oduah in my life or dreams. . .till trust our 'president'. . . I COULD CARE LESS!!!!
All I ask is why is she not a billionaire too if 'AlakiOkija' is one. . . with "oil mongolism".
We now know she inherited her the 'so-called' wealth. . . .SHE NEVER USED HER BRAINS LIKE OPRAH DID.
Which one is lie again?
At least Stella Oduah is educated. . . (pending verification of all those HARVARD DEGREES)!
Where did AlakiOkija go to school? undecided

Abeg! You semi-illiterates should stop disgracing Nigeria! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Many apologies to Oprah! cry

WHO ARE THESE NAUSEATING YORUBA 'FOLLOW-FOLLOW',INTELLECTUAL-ALMAJIRI/HERO-WORSHIPPERS ON THIS NAIRALAND? angry

2 Likes

Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by tpia1: 4:23am On Dec 06, 2012
djustice:

you may be right, but in her interview she said she's from the Olowu family of Ikorodu.

are they the same as the Ogbaras.
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by demmy(m): 4:37am On Dec 06, 2012
soundtruth: is she not a front for one of them corrupt thieving leaders?

No she is not.

Alakija acquired an OPL 216 way back in 1993 which is just now yielding her big money after years of oil prospecting. In 1998 this oil block was found to have huge oil and gas reserve so FG tried to take it from her. She went to court and won.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/supreme-court-voids-fg-s-acquisition-of-oml-127/115697/
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Lasinoh: 4:46am On Dec 06, 2012
We now know how 'some' Nigerians become MILLIONAIRES AND BILLIONAIRES! The same IBB wey dem go dey cuss all over NL! grin

Mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!

I pity the 'BLACK' race!

Tufiakwa!

The money kpa kpa. . . you nor go see for dem body! Still as 'local' as touts! With all the money. . . 61 years old. . .NO SCHOOL CERT! embarassed

Anyway. . . who we blame? Na Ibori brothers for South-South I blame.

Shioooooooooooooooor!!!!

Next topic please. . . .
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by Nobody: 5:47am On Dec 06, 2012
The socio economic status of Nigeria is at it blink of no where..yet we have the worlds richest billionnaires dats sarcasm....talk of dangote africas richest now the claimed woman...these prsons ar frm dsame country unemployment is rising to 75% wen u remov subsidy na war u dy cause so..notin jst sims to work here...wake up people this peopl made it @ d expense of da masses...However Emulation of Good deeds is far better than Envy..
Re: Folashade Alakija Now Worlds Richest Black Woman Beating Oprah Winfrey by djustice: 12:03am On Dec 10, 2012
tpia1:

you may be right, but in her interview she said she's from the Olowu family of Ikorodu.

are they the same as the Ogbaras.

Nigerian journalists are monumentally stupid. I know this woman, and the entire Ogbara family quite well. Her father was a legendary Scrooge-like character, never eager to part with money. However, where it concerned his children, he spared no expense on their training, sending most of them abroad for the best available education, including Folorunsho. Her father was also legendary in his ways with women. I think he ended up with 68 children or so!

(1) (Reply)

Obi Of Anambra Delivers Quality rural Roads (photo) / Buhari Vs Jonathan (spot The Difference) / US Report: Nigerian Military Tipped Off Boko Haram About Chibok Girls Rescue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.