Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava (4159 Views)

Nigeria Seeks Secret Trial For Nnamdi Kanu. / 32 SANs Accompany Rickey Tarfa To Court, Sues EFCC For N2.5billion / Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by koruji(m): 3:17am On Dec 07, 2012
Can someone else please explain to the house what is wrong with this deal?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-06/nigeria-seeks-1-5-billion-from-china-for-rice-cassava.html
By Elisha Bala-Gbogbo - Dec 6, 2012 6:01 PM ET

Nigeria is holding talks with the Export-Import Bank of China for a $1.5 billion loan to boost processing of rice and cassava in Africa’s most populous country, Agriculture Minister Akinwunmi Adesina said.
The loan is being sought on “concessionary terms at a 2 percent interest rate with a repayment period of 20 years,” Adesina said in an interview yesterday in Abuja, the capital. “We want to reduce our import dependency.”
Part of the loan will fund the procurement of 100 large- scale rice mills, with a combined capacity to process 2.1 million metric tons of rice a year, from Chinese companies, Adesina said. The rest will be devoted to expanding capacity for processing cassava into flour to substitute wheat flour and reduce imports, he said.
Nigeria, which has more than 160 million people, spends $10 billion annually importing rice, wheat, sugar and fish, according to the Agriculture Ministry. While the country grew enough food to feed itself in the 1960s, it is now the world’s largest importer of rice and sub-Saharan Africa’s biggest importer of wheat and sugar.
The government will provide “single-digit interest rates for all agriculture loans” from next year, Adesina said. At least 10 million mobile phones will be distributed to farmers in 2013 to provide weather and market information as well as extension services on the use of inputs including seeds and fertilizer, he said. Nigeria’s annual inflation rate rose to 11.7 percent in October.
Investment Commitments
Africa’s top oil producer is also expecting an additional $500 million in funding from the World Bank, at least $250 million from the African Development Bank and an $80 million loan from the International Fund for Agricultural Development to fund agriculture next year, according to the minister.
The government’s strategy is to help small-scale farmers, who produce most of the country’s food, with access to credit and improved farming methods while encouraging private investments in large-scale farming. At least $8 billion worth of investment commitments in agriculture were secured by President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration this year, Adesina said.
Food production rose by about 8.1 million tons, or 41 percent of its 20 million-ton four-year target, this year, creating a buffer food stock against floods, he said.
In September, Nigeria experienced its worst flooding in decades leaving farms, food stores, highways and oilfields inundated. At least 363 people died and 2.2 million were displaced, according to figures from the National Emergency Management Agency.
The government started a dry-season rice farming program last month, helping farmers cultivate 330,000 hectares (815,000 acres) of land with an estimated output of 1.8 million tons expected, Adesina said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Elisha Bala-Gbogbo in Abuja at ebalagbogbo@bloomberg.net

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Callotti: 3:41am On Dec 07, 2012
This keeps getting better and better!
God bless my sweet America jare!
Thank my Agnostic God!
Wharrrra USELESS CU/NT-RY! cry

See debt being raked up for thieves to loot?
Kai!!!!
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Nobody: 4:05am On Dec 07, 2012
We cannot even afford to buy rice without resorting to a loan and mortgaging our future?

Nigeria I hail you !! angry
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 07, 2012
GenBuhari: We cannot even afford to buy rice without resorting to a loan and mortgaging our future?

Where did all the money spent on agriculture all these years go?

They will ruin it for the next president that comes in to fix things...

I think we need to sack this administration and have a new election!!!!
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by slimghost(m): 9:33am On Dec 07, 2012
This is the most incompetent Government in Nigeria's history. jesus!!!
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by taharqa: 11:12am On Dec 07, 2012
GREAT moves, Adesina....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 07, 2012
VERY VERY LAZY C0UNTRY ALWAYS IMPORTING NEVER MAKING THEIRS AND EXPORTING
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by black9jaberry: 11:36am On Dec 07, 2012
CHINA pls dont give em oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Na thief dem bi ooooooooo

dis Guflack sef>>>>>>>
hisssssss in spanish

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by babyboy3(m): 11:38am On Dec 07, 2012
0lumide:

That was a loan some years ago into agriculture!!
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by demelza: 11:43am On Dec 07, 2012
This would be laudable if the money will be used exactly as it is budgeted but.... Na Naija we dey.
We keep borrowing and extending the repayment plan into the future when most of this doofus will be taking the deep sleep.
This is how unborn generations are enslaved.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by lacasa: 11:45am On Dec 07, 2012
Why clowns dey complain cheesy

After all, u guys voted Gej not Pdp

Abeg! Kp collecting the FRESH AIR grin
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by slimming: 11:46am On Dec 07, 2012
Those who could manage our revenue should not be trusted to oversee the loan affair.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by mkmyers45(m): 11:48am On Dec 07, 2012
WTF? So we have to borrow to feed? Now, that's a shame.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by joshuaidibia(m): 11:59am On Dec 07, 2012
CASSAVA? so we re running short of g@rr! ? nawa o
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by jigajanded: 12:03pm On Dec 07, 2012
God pls help dis country cos we d masses r dying in d hands of wicked leaders, so it has gotten 2 d extend of borrowing again. Nt after d previous ones were cancel, rubbish country fill wit rubbish n chiquiod leaders.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Britzdon(m): 12:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
My goodness! What in life is wrong with our leaders in Nigeria? Always borrowing either from swiss bank or from Chinese bank.
Quote me right,this loan will help pile up our debt and also may devalue our currency(NAIRA)
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Clemzy16(m): 12:13pm On Dec 07, 2012
Is the world still going to end this year?! Seems like Nigeria is coming to an end this year.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by pekelepekele(m): 12:28pm On Dec 07, 2012
chai . Eyin oyinbo ewa funmi ni Visa . iya yi poju ewa funmi ni visa! grin
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by NSNA: 12:29pm On Dec 07, 2012
Useless
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by wasiudvd(m): 12:39pm On Dec 07, 2012
cry
so this GEJ administration want to enslave my unborn generation to those asian tigers!
The result of the partial subsidy removal we never see.
They should try and donate to farm rice na, the way dey donate to build mosque/church.
God pls, divide this country.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 07, 2012
lacasa: Why clowns dey complain cheesy

After all, u guys voted Gej not Pdp

Abeg! Kp collecting the FRESH AIR grin
All your life and all your thoughts are about ELECTIONS. Is election all there is to life? Left to some persons like you, election should be an EVERY DAY EVENT. You think, eat, talk, speak and breath election. Shouldn't election be a MEANS TO AN END? Give us a break pls
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 07, 2012
wasiudvd: cry
so this GEJ administration want to enslave my unborn generation to those asian tigers!
The result of the partial subsidy removal we never see.
They should try and donate to farm rice na, the way dey donate to build mosque/church.
God pls, divide this country.
No sir! The loan was meant to built rice milling plants and cassava flour processing plants so that YOUR UNBORN generation will a place to work and NOT be jobless like you

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by markus1133: 12:50pm On Dec 07, 2012
incredible..
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by lacasa: 12:53pm On Dec 07, 2012
Sincere 9gerian:
All your life and all your thoughts are about ELECTIONS. Is election all there is to life? Left to some persons like you, election should be an EVERY DAY EVENT. You think, eat, talk, speak and breath election. Shouldn't election be a MEANS TO AN END? Give us a break pls

You must be one of the shoeless disciples

Guilty conscience dey cach u

And No, its about the Retardeen's FRESH AIR. grin
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by malele(m): 12:58pm On Dec 07, 2012
Clemzy16: Is the world still going to end this year?! Seems like Nigeria is coming to an end this year.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by agbariojukwu: 1:00pm On Dec 07, 2012
for jonathan's family and the presidency.the rice will dissapear in aso rock
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 07, 2012
Please my people, make una click this thread go vote abiL or ItsModella. God will bless you as you do so!! You can type; I vote abiL or you can also type, I vote ItsModella!
https://www.nairaland.com/1124978/miss-nairaland-grand-finale/24
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by BeraBera(f): 1:06pm On Dec 07, 2012
Na wa oh. I thought we produce these things. Do we still have to borrow money to process them? Ha!
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by Queen58: 1:09pm On Dec 07, 2012
...And yet the National Cultural Centre and Millennium Tower project was awarded at N69.3billion. Only in naija! The good thing is no one will go to his grave with shishi
Re: Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava by PapaBrowne(m): 1:10pm On Dec 07, 2012
Callotti: This keeps getting better and better!
God bless my sweet America jare!
Thank my Agnostic God!
Wharrrra USELESS CU/NT-RY! cry

See debt being raked up for thieves to loot?
Kai!!!!

GenBuhari: We cannot even afford to buy rice without resorting to a loan and mortgaging our future?

0lumide:

black9jaberry: CHINA pls dont give em oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Na thief dem bi ooooooooo

dis Guflack sef>>>>>>>
hisssssss in spanish

mkmyers45: WTF? So we have to borrow to feed? Now, that's a shame.

If reading the posted article were an exam, you all would have failed woefully.

This is some excellent policy. They wouldn't give the loans to the Nigerian Government. Rather, payments for the equipment for the rice mills and Cassava processing would be given directly to the Chinese manufacturers by the Chinese and these would be supplied to the FG who would in tuirn pay it back as a loan.

Nigeria would save billions of dollars from this. This is the best way to take loans. No cash. Just equipment and infrastructure.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sir Mr. President GEJ, Its Time To Shelve Your 2015 Ambition / 36 State Govt. Debt Debate - Reloded / BREAKING NEWS!!! Bomb Blast In Gombe, Many Feared Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.