Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,708 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:51 PM

Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 (27871 Views)

Bishop David Oyedepo, The "Money Man" / I Gave Oyedepo The Powers He Is Using- (rejoinder) / Bishop David Oyedepo The Richest Pastor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by eldoradoxx: 9:59am On Dec 08, 2012
Bishop Oyedepo last night again floored those accusing him of riping off church members through tithes and offering to live in affluence while cruising in private jets.

He said,"The last time Church paid my salary was December 1987, nobody heared it, not even the Ministers in the church until 1997 and church members didn't hear this until 2007".

Again he said "In January of 1988 my wife asked me of money for feeding and I told her I had give my salary to God, and that was the last time she ever had to ask for feeding til date"

He aagin queried whether anybody has ever been approached by him for any form of financial assistance? Again he shocked the people accusing him and church of using poor people's money to build universities that themselves can't afford to send their kid when he said;

"Covenant university was built within 7 months without any collection of any one naira tithes and offerings or donation of any kind from anywhere"

8 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by yemikush: 10:16am On Dec 08, 2012
Front page pls!
Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 10:20am On Dec 08, 2012
Dangote we know, Otedeola we know, Oyedepo??

if its not from church fund, then kindly tell us the source of your stupendous wealth!

abeg sir spare us the tortoise stories - e no fit u! . . undecided

109 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Joagbaje(m): 10:25am On Dec 08, 2012
Kuns and other church enemies should read this and repent

4 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by eldoradoxx: 10:26am On Dec 08, 2012
greateros: Dangote we know, Otedeola we know, Oyedepo??

if its not from church fund, then kindly tell us the source of your stupendous wealth!

abeg sir spare us the tortoise stories - e no fit u! . . undecided
Here him again, " I have personal accountants managing funds from my businesses so that I don't miscalculate my tithe" .
Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 08, 2012
eldoradoxx: Bishop Oyedepo last night again floored those accusing him of riping off church members through tithes and offering to live in affluence while cruising in private jets. He said,"The last time Church paid my salary was December 1987, nobody heared it, not even the Ministers in the church until 1997 and church members didn't hear this until 2007". Again he said "In January of 1988 my wife asked me of money for feeding and I told her I had give my salary to God, and that was the last time she ever had to ask for feeding til date" He aagin queried whether anybody has ever been approached by him for any form of financial assistance? Again he shocked the people accusing him and church of using poor people's money to build universities that themselves can't afford to send their kid when he said; "Covenant university was built within 7 months without any collection of any one naira tithes and offerings or donation of any kind from anywhere"

Good morning,
I really do think he has a right to his own opinion but the question still remains:

1) In the year he mentioned was the church as affluent as it is today?

2) When he gave all his salary to God, how did he feed and if he was fed by the members is it not the same as collecting salary; afterall the salary comes from the members contributions?

3) If the University was not built with the money of his church members, where did the money come from. We know certainly that God did not come down from heaven to build the school.

4) Even if the school was built using money from God knows where, is this a justification for some of the members not to be able to afford the tuition?

Please, I am not trying to discredit him but since he has decided to speak up, it's about time I asked the questions too. There are more questions but they would be too controversial. Let's make do with the ones above.

Thank you!

80 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 08, 2012
Where then did you get your billions from? f u c k i n g masonic soul hunters disguised in evangelism. "Give all men your ear, but few your heart" we know there are good pastors in the world, but unfortunately, there are sorry, perverted, liars and thieves, who have made christianity an object of mockery, they have made christianity to depend on their own(pastor's)charisma.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" ___ Mahatma Gandhi.

24 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by ijawkid(m): 10:40am On Dec 08, 2012
All this one na story....

Let him tell us how he got all his wealth today??.....was he working in SHELL??.....or what??....

This guy funny sha.....only olodo's would listen to this story and go home refreshed.....smh!!!......

11 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by odumdesmond: 10:52am On Dec 08, 2012
I heard him say exactly those words and even more. He has said it times without number that he has never begged for anything since he became a MOG. He obviously has interest in so many thriving businesses, remember he is a prolific writer whose books sells in millions of copies. I heard him also talk about the private jets. He said that he has become blessed so much that he could afford jet at a click of fingers. How he bought them, how he maintains it, the Church does not know, no dime of church fund goes to his upkeep and maintenance.

15 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by odumdesmond: 11:10am On Dec 08, 2012
striktlymi:

Good morning,
I really do think he has a right to his own opinion but the question still remains:

1) In the year he mentioned was the church as affluent as it is today?

2) When he gave all his salary to God, how did he feed and if he was fed by the members is it not the same as collecting salary; afterall the salary comes from the members contributions?

3) If the University was not built with the money of his church members, where did the money come from. We know certainly that God did not come down from heaven to build the school.

4) Even if the school was built using money from God knows where, is this a justification for some of the members not to be able to afford the tuition?

Please, I am not trying to discredit him but since he has decided to speak up, it's about time I asked the questions too. There are more questions but they would be too controversial. Let's make do with the ones above.

Thank you!
Is Covenant University really expensive compared to quality of facilities and teaching going on there? Baze University , Abti American Uni Yola, etc charge excess of N1.5 million yet cannot compete with Covenant. Igbinedion University, Afe Babalola Uni etc charge way above btw 450-600k that Covenant charges, why are they not dishing similar quality as Covenant? See, University education is expensive, all Federal University students are subsidized annually by Fed Govt to the tune of about 300-400k in form grants and hundreds of millions of monthly subventions, they also get research grants, get ETF /TET fund interventions . Private unis get no dime, so how do they survive? Covenant is charging that low fee because according to Prof Obayan, the church stil gives it subvention for running. People shud stop complaining, how much does school fees even by local student in Ghana universities cost? What of Europe and America? Is Covenanat supposed to be because church has poor members? Well let them take opportunity of their brains and get scholarship, the school offers that too.

38 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 08, 2012
odum desmond: I heard him say exactly those words and even more. He has said it times without number that he has never begged for anything since he became a MOG. He obviously has interest in so many thriving businesses, remember he is a prolific writer whose books sells in millions of copies. I heard him also talk about the private jets. He said that he has become blessed so much that he could afford jet at a click of fingers. How he bought them, how he maintains it, the Church does not know, no dime of church fund goes to his upkeep and maintenance.

Selling books is lucrative especially when you have a ready market for it. But can one make so much money from selling books alone? Frankly his coming out to make comments that imply that he does not touch the funds of his church is still a source of worry. If not through his church, where then does he make his money from? I know a number of successful business men with their own companies but none of them can afford to buy Jets and build a University without feeling the pinch. Note that buying a jet has running costs. And this is not 10 kobo maintenance o. If not from his church then where? I don't think the sale of books alone is where he gets money from.

6 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by eldoradoxx: 11:27am On Dec 08, 2012
striktlymi:

Selling books is lucrative especially when you have a ready market for it. But can one make so much money from selling books alone? Frankly his coming out to make comments that imply that he does not touch the funds of his church is still a source of worry. If not through his church, where then does he make his money from? I know a number of successful business men with their own companies but none of them can afford to buy Jets and build a University without feeling the pinch. Note that buying a jet has running costs. And this is not 10 kobo maintenance o. If not from his church then where? I don't think the sale of books alone is where he gets money from.
when he talked about having personal accountants managing his funds, he said funds from his businesses. He obviously runs businesses. A man of God should show us by his life that he did not run into church as an escape route from frustration of life, that without church, he would ve also amounted to somebody in life. That is what he is doing. Infact his decision to give God all his salary as a pastor way back in 1987(orchestrated by divine encounter) has paid off. When a man is preaching knowing that he has no salary to earn or tiithe and offering to pocket, he is committed, that is the greatest level of dedication to God.

14 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 08, 2012
odum desmond: Is Covenant University really expensive compared to quality of facilities and teaching going on there? Baze University , Abti American Uni Yola, etc charge excess of N1.5 million yet cannot compete with Covenant. Igbinedion University, Afe Babalola Uni etc charge way above btw 450-600k that Covenant charges, why are they not dishing similar quality as Covenant? See, University education is expensive, all Federal University students are subsidized annually by Fed Govt to the tune of about 300-400k in form grants and hundreds of millions of monthly subventions, they also get research grants, get ETF /TET fund interventions . Private unis get no dime, so how do they survive? Covenant is charging that low fee because according to Prof Obayan, the church stil gives it subvention for running. People shud stop complaining, how much does school fees even by local student in Ghana universities cost? What of Europe and America? Is Covenanat supposed to be because church has poor members? Well let them take opportunity of their brains and get scholarship, the school offers that too.

Good afternoon,

I guess your post was meant to address the fourth question I raised. No one is in doubt that University education is very expensive but this does not really answer the question. The question was a response to what the OP posted:

eldoradoxx:
Again he shocked the people accusing him and church of using poor people's money to build universities that themselves can't afford to send their kid when he said; "Covenant university was built within 7 months without any collection of any one naira tithes and offerings or donation of any kind from anywhere"

If he claims that the members did not build the church does this justify the high tuition? At least claiming that he did not get any one naira tithe etc is effectively saying he got the money from elsewhere which is yet to be disclosed.

Now continuing the issue of tuition, I quite agree with you that it costs a lot of money to run a University and frankly the quality of education that Covenant offers is worth the tuition they charge. But does this mean that the current tuition is the best that can be offered? My answer is NO!. The United states boasts of one of the best educational system in the world but sadly this comes with a prize as the average tuition you can get in the US is above the 20 thousand dollar mark. But despite this, the Mormon University has a Tuition that is less than 5 thousand dollars for international students, let alone their members.

I don't know if the Mormon church has private jets to maintain but yet their tuition is very affordable to almost all their members. You might want to argue that the Mormon University also receives donations but this can be countered, as the donations this church receives here in Nigeria alone is more than enough to maintain their jet. Instead of spending money on buying a jet and maintain it, can't that money go into the school in order to further bring down the tuition of the school?

I would also appreciate it if you would provide plausible answers to the other questions I asked. At least you have been able to justify the tuition they charge even though I believe this can be imrproved on.

Thank you!

10 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by tpia1: 11:54am On Dec 08, 2012
he really has time to be responding to all these greedy people.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 08, 2012
Good afternoon once again,

eldoradoxx: when he talked about having personal accountants managing his funds, he said funds from his businesses. He obviously runs businesses. A man of God should show us by his life that he did not run into church as an escape route from frustration of life, that without church, he would ve also amounted to somebody in life.

I quite agree with you on the above quote. "Men of God" should not use "Church" as an escape route from the challenges and difficulties of life. I am very pleased that he has "businesses" that he runs. This too I am sure Apostle Paul would be pleased with, cause he also believes in the dignity of labour.

But really you can't be absolutely sure that he owned those businesses before he became a pastor. Because in order to effectively prove that he did not use church as an escape route from the difficulties of life, you need to demonstrate that those businesses were in existence before he became a pastor and the businesses were thriving. Remember that you made the following comment:

eldoradoxx:
Again he said "In January of 1988 my wife asked me of money for feeding and I told her I had give my salary to God, and that was the last time she ever had to ask for feeding til date"

Doesn't the above quote show that at the time he was pastor there was no business venture? Or at best the business he might have had, was not that profitable? If the business was profitable there won't be any need to deny the wife money cause he gave his salary to God.

Now, can't we safely assume that if he got the businesses after he became pastor, he actually had the business empire via the church's fund? Yes, there has to be a business empire for someone to be a billionaire. Again, if there is a business empire, which enabled him build a university within 7 months, how come we have no knowledge of it? If you know any of his companies, please post it here and let's verify the claims. Or are we saying that the businesses are:

1) The church
2) The University

Like I said, I am not trying to discredit him but really since he wants to talk about it, then I think we have a right to ask some questions too in order to have a better understanding.

Thank you!

9 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 08, 2012
tpia1: he really has time to be responding to all these greedy people.

Good afternoon,

There is really no need to take this too personal. But if you talk about greed, one might tempted to ask who the greedy one is.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by ijawkid(m): 12:51pm On Dec 08, 2012
striktlymi: Good afternoon once again,

I quite agree with you on the above quote. "Men of God" should not use "Church" as an escape route from the challenges and difficulties of life. I am very pleased that he has "businesses" that he runs. This too I am sure Apostle Paul would be pleased with, cause he also believes in the dignity of labour.

But really you can't be absolutely sure that he owned those businesses before he became a pastor. Because in order to effectively prove that he did not use church as an escape route from the difficulties of life, you need to demonstrate that those businesses were in existence before he became a pastor and the businesses were thriving. Remember that you made the following comment:

Doesn't the above quote show that at the time he was pastor there was no business venture? Or at best the business he might have had, was not that profitable? If the business was profitable there won't be any need to deny the wife money cause he gave his salary to God.

Now, can't we safely assume that if he got the businesses after he became pastor, he actually had the business empire via the church's fund? Yes, there has to be a business empire for someone to be a billionaire. Again, if there is a business empire, which enabled him build a university within 7 months, how come we have no knowledge of it? If you know any of his companies, please post it here and let's verify the claims. Or are we saying that the businesses are:

1) The church
2) The University

Like I said, I am not trying to discredit him but really since he wants to talk about it, then I think we have a right to ask some questions too in order to have a better understanding.

Thank you!

Very good questions.....

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Akshow: 1:07pm On Dec 08, 2012
Tory Tory...

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 1:08pm On Dec 08, 2012
Got an info from a reliable source( a pastor) that the bishop has an oil well(Nigeria) and a gold mine(Ghana) given to him by members willingly(he never compelled them). I believe that is one of the secret to his prosperity.
Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by eldoradoxx: 1:25pm On Dec 08, 2012
Bidam: Got an info from a reliable source( a pastor) that the bishop has an oil well(Nigeria) and a gold mine(Ghana) given to him by members willingly(he never compelled them). I believe that is one of the secret to his prosperity.
Thank u so much, I heard that too. You see, he has interest in series of businesses both in and outside Nigeria. People who don't really understand will always criticize what they don't know. As a man of God, why would his business become subject of publicity?

5 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2012
Bidam: Got an info from a reliable source( a pastor) that the bishop has an oil well(Nigeria) and a gold mine(Ghana) given to him by members willingly(he never compelled them). I believe that is one of the secret to his prosperity.

Good afternoon

I don't think that it's about compulsion. I believe firmly that none of his church members are being compelled to donate money. At least, I have friends who attend the church and they are ready to "die" for him if need be.

Whether his members gave him all the oil wells in Nigeria, is really not the issue. He claimed that he did not use his members "one naira" when he built the school. If he did not get this from the members, where then did he get it? Note that those pastors who got those gifts you mentioned, could be said to have gotten it from the church cause the members make up the church and not the physical structure.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 1:32pm On Dec 08, 2012
eldoradoxx: Thank u so much, I heard that too. You see, he has interest in series of businesses both in and outside Nigeria. People who don't really understand will always criticize what they don't know. As a man of God, why would his business become subject of publicity?

Hello,

But you also do not KNOW, you onlly HEARD which at best could be tagged "speculations". And really, you also do not know where he got the money to invest in the business (if there is a business apart from Covenant and the church). Did the funds for the business come from the church or not? If the fund is from the church, why then is he saying that he did not use "a naira" of church funds to establish the University?

I am trying so hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 08, 2012
let's leave it to God. i hate blasphemy but let God judge them
Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by bigmaut: 2:08pm On Dec 08, 2012
The q/s i wuld like to ask bishop oyedepo if i see him,he said he gave his salary 2 God, i still ask where does d money go?did God stretch his hand frm heaven & collected d money?selling his books alone cannot make him much money to build university or buy a private jets abi na him write harry potters books?it an insults on his sheepish followers if he deny their contributions,sweats & efforts 2 build a business empire 4 him,i need answers pastors

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 08, 2012
sergio-zlatan:
let's leave it to God. i hate blasphemy but let God judge them

Good afternoon,

Hmmm...leave it to God? Don't you think that sometimes God actually want's us to speak up and ask some questions?

Check the abolition of slave trade as an example. It happened because some persons decided to speak up and even give their lives for the cause.

I believe in speaking up constructively. If something is happening that we do not understand or we feel is wrong then I see no reason why we should not ask questions or speak up in a bid to correcting it.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by bigmaut: 2:15pm On Dec 08, 2012
if he has a goldmine & oil well why did he not distribute his wealth among his poor members like TB abi na chop alone he only mouth it yu are bless,even his village is retched no pipe born water.
Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by ijawkid(m): 2:37pm On Dec 08, 2012
eldoradoxx: Thank u so much, I heard that too. You see, he has interest in series of businesses both in and outside Nigeria. People who don't really understand will always criticize what they don't know. As a man of God, why would his business become subject of publicity?

You know its a lie naaaaaa.........

If it is true you should know those guys were coerced......

I don't think you really know how much an oil well is worth and also a gold mine so as for individuals to give it off as a gift to oyedepo "" willingly"".................

Make ona dey shine ona eyes ooooo...............

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by eldoradoxx: 2:48pm On Dec 08, 2012
striktlymi:

Good afternoon

I don't think that it's about compulsion. I believe firmly that none of his church members are being compelled to donate money. At least, I have friends who attend the church and they are ready to "die" for him if need be.

Whether his members gave him all the oil wells in Nigeria, is really not the issue. He claimed that he did not use his members "one naira" when he built the school. If he did not get this from the members, where then did he get it? Note that those pastors who got those gifts you mentioned, could be said to have gotten it from the church cause the members make up the church and not the physical structure.

Thank you!
Hahahahaha, my friend why do u keep changing the goal post? There is a difference between Church money and voluntary gift to a man of God. The bible talks several times about giving to the man of God. The widow of Zeraphath in the bible gave her last meal to the prophet and she was miraculously sustained through famine by the presence of the prophet. There are many more verse that talks about sowing seed in the life of a man of God. So don't see it as a burden pple giving to "genuine" men of God. Talking about "compulsion"in giving u accused him of, here him last night " If you are not a willing giver, you are a loosing giver,if anybody compells you to give to God, forget it, God will not accept your giving"

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by tpia1: 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2012
striktlymi:

Good afternoon,

There is really no need to take this too personal. But if you talk about greed, one might tempted to ask who the greedy one is.

I think the greedy ones are the bad belle folks who are always greedily eyeing other people who God has blessed.

They cant ask for their own blessing due to their evil hearts, but must constantly try to pull down others who dont fit their criteria of " if you're a minister you must be poor"

4 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by eldoradoxx: 2:59pm On Dec 08, 2012
bigmaut:
if he has a goldmine & oil well why did he not distribute his wealth among his poor members like TB abi na chop alone he only mouth it yu are bless,even his village is retched no pipe born water.
TB Joshua is actually contravening the scriptural law of giving as expoused by Jesus in Matthew were he said, If you give, do no even allow ur left hand to knwo what your right hand has given out in charity. True christain giving is done privately. Who told you that these MOG do not give even more of TB Joshua but privately. I am not a member of Redeemed Church, but during my service year, I saw and was told of houses bought by Adeboye in several cities in 36 States of Nigeria where Corpers could live free of charge to ameliorate accommodation needs of pple serving Nigeria. Did anyone hear that on radio or tv? You can never hear that, that is why churches don't have PRO. Now quantify it in monetary terms and tell me how many tens of million that he spent personally(mind you), to get this done. Oyedepo has thousands on scholarships at all levels but the first rule is that it is done privately.

11 Likes

Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by Wendyslim(f): 3:09pm On Dec 08, 2012
Ok we don hear. Next cry cry cry cry
Re: Oyedepo: The Church Last Paid Me In 1987 by TableLeg(m): 3:13pm On Dec 08, 2012
O.T.I.S:
Where then did you get your billions from? f u c k i n g masonic soul hunters disguised in evangelism. "Give all men your ear, but few your heart" we know there are good pastors in the world, but unfortunately, there are sorry, perverted, liars and thieves, who have made christianity an object of mockery, they have made christianity to depend on their own(pastor's)charisma.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" ___ Mahatma Gandhi.
GBAM!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

4 Kids Dumped At Abak Bridge, Akwa Ibom After Pastor Branded Them Witches(Pics) / David Yong-gi Cho, Founder Of South Korea's Yoido Megachurch Dies At 85 / Help! I Always Dream Of Snakes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.