Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,551 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? (28377 Views)

Poll: Evolution or Creation? vote!

Evolution: 23% (27 votes)
Creation: 66% (75 votes)
Something Else: 9% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Evolution Or Creationism,which Sounds More Logical? / Evolution Or Intelligent Design / Did Anyone (DEAD/LIVING) Witnessed Evolution Or The Big B@ng? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Fluffy(f): 1:34pm On Apr 24, 2006
Do you believe in what scientist say, that we just evolved (came from nowhere)

Or do you believe the bible that states how this world came about and that we were created by God?

Let me know your reason's for what you believe wink
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by nferyn(m): 1:47pm On Apr 24, 2006
Fluffy:

Do you believe in what scientist say, that we just evolved (came from nowhere)
That's not what the scientists say, but if you're really interested in the subject, you can read the debate on evolution here.

Fluffy:

or do you believe the bible that states how this world came about and that we
were created by God?
No, as only the Bible points in that direction. There is no evidence in favor of creationism.

Fluffy:

Let me know your reason's for what you believe wink
Because of the overwhelming evidence in favor of the Theory of Evolution.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Fluffy(f): 2:22pm On Apr 24, 2006
The[b] overwhelming evidence [/b] in favor of the theory of evolution does not neccessarily mean it is real.

Evidence can be made! For example I can add a gun with someone's fingerprints on it to a crime scene and claim the person to which the fingerprints belong committed the crime, plain and simple and does that make it true?

I don't think so! tongue
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by jagunlabi(m): 2:29pm On Apr 24, 2006
I believe in both.
But not necessarily the creationist version of the bible,which is just one version out of many.The jewish version,to be precise.
God created through evolution.Elegantly linked together,no? wink smiley

2 Likes

Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by KAG: 2:55pm On Apr 24, 2006
Evolution.

Fluffy:

The[b] overwhelming evidence [/b] in favor of the theory of evolution does not neccessarily mean it is real.

Well, in that case, the overwhelming evidence for the theory of gravity does not necessarily mean it is real, excuse me while I fly out the window.

Evidence can be made! For example I can add a gun with someone's fingerprints on it to a crime scene and claim the person to which the fingerprints belong committed the crime, plain and simple and does that make it true?

I don't think so! tongue

So there's a worldwide conspiracy involving almost all biologists, and the vast majority of scientists, many of whom are christians/muslims/theists?
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by nferyn(m): 3:41pm On Apr 24, 2006
Fluffy:

No, but it does make it the most reasonable explanation. When there are everal lines of evidence, coming from different scientific angles, using different methods all point in the same direction, the chance of it not being true becomes extremely small. Don't forget that most of the evidence plainly contradicts the other explanation (creationism).

To use an analogy similar to yours, suppose you enter a crimescene. The perpetrator is still one the scene. Two living people are present, a 2 year old baby and a gangster with a huge crime record. The gun contains the fingerprints of the gangster, the gangster has got gunpowder on his sleeves and a burnmark on his hand caused by hot metal and consistent with the shape of the barrel of the gun.
You can say that it is not 100% certain that the gangster shot the dead man, but the likelyhood of the baby doing the killing is very small. It's reasonable to assume the gangster did it, while it is unreasonable to suspect the baby.

Fluffy:

I don't think so! tongue
When you're talking science, you've got tens of thousands of crime scene investigators all trying to find faults in each others evidence. The evidence they can't find faults with will be very solid, wouldn't you think?
To date, there has been not a single piece of evidence found that contradicts [/b]the [b]Theory of Evolution, while there have been hundereds of thousands pieces of evidence in it's favor.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Fluffy(f): 4:29pm On Apr 24, 2006
Isn't the bible proof enough of creation? Or don't you believe in the holy bible?
I would rather believe in the bible book called Genesis rather than believe that
we just came from nowhere. Correction monkeys,apes, the sun moon and
stars just popped up from nowhere and then the apes started changing into humans

Why did they stop changing and why would you believe such nonsense people?
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by KAG: 4:41pm On Apr 24, 2006
Fluffy:

Isn't the bible proof enough of creation?

No. Is the Avesta proof enough for creation?

Or don't you believe in the holy bible?
I would rather believe in the bible book called Genesis rather than believe that
we just came from nowhere.

There are many christians who accept evolution, evolution and religious beliefs are not mutually exclusive.

Correction monkeys,apes, the sun moon and
stars just popped up from nowhere and then the apes started changing into humans

Are you still talking about evolution?

Why did who stop changing? By the way, human beings are apes, we share a common ancestor with other apes.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Fluffy(f): 4:48pm On Apr 24, 2006
Yes I am still talking about evolution coz according to evolution everything just evolved including sun,moon or earth itself!

Why did the apes stop changing into humans as evolution would have us believe? lipsrsealed

I'm sorry, but I was formed by God in my mamma's belly and believe me there where no apes involved cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by nferyn(m): 4:49pm On Apr 24, 2006
Who created the creator? Did he come out of nowhere?

It seems that you have made up your mind already and are just looking for confirmation. Why are you even asking the question?

Fluffy:

Isn't the bible proof enough of creation? Or don't you believe in the holy bible?
No on both counts.

Fluffy:

we just came from nowhere.
Indeed, you [b]want [/b]to believe in it. That's a correct observation. I would also want to believe that all people are good, caring and beautiful, unfortunately, reality proves that my wishes are just idle.

Fluffy:

Correction monkeys,apes, the sun moon and
The Theory of Evolution only deals with life, not with the universe as a whole, and yes, apes and humans share a common ancestor that was more apelike than humanlike. Mountains of evidence in favor of that observation. Just go through the thread I linked to before and start studying [u]before [/u]you make up your mind.

Fluffy:

They didn't stop changing at all. Where did you get that idea?
It has absolutely nothing to do with what I [u]want [/u]to believe. In face of the overwhelming evidence, there's only one possible conclusion.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Fluffy(f): 5:02pm On Apr 24, 2006
nferyn:

Who created the creator? Did he come out of nowhere?

They didn't stop changing at all. Where did you get that idea?
It has absolutely nothing to do with what I [u]want [/u]to believe. In face of the overwhelming evidence, there's only one possible conclusion.

Your first question answers itself, the creator can not be created because He is the one that creates get the picture?

Second question, so why is birth taking place today while there are apes changing into humans? and how come we never see the actual event of evolution taking place, while everyone has seen birth?
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by KAG: 5:46pm On Apr 24, 2006
Fluffy:

Yes I am still talking about evolution because according to evolution everything just evolved including sun,moon or earth itself!

Good grief, no! According to evolution, the theory of evolution to be exact, life evolved. According to astronomy/cosmology/physics/whatever, the Sun, moon, and Earth formed like other body in space, differnt occurences long after the big bang.

Why did the apes stop changing into humans as evolution would have us believe? lipsrsealed

Did you read anything nferyn and I posted? Because it is clear you know next to nothing of what evolution would have us believe. Apes, as in modern apes examples of which include chimps, gorillas, etc, did not evolve into humans. We share a common ancestor with them

I'm sorry, but I was formed by God in my mamma's belly and believe me there where no apes involved cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Good to know.

On another tangent, here's a question for you. If Americans originally came form England, why are there still Englishmen?
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by nferyn(m): 6:10pm On Apr 24, 2006
Fluffy:

Your first question answers itself, the creator can not be created because He is the one that creates get the picture?
Quite clearly, thank you cheesy Where does the creator come from, from nothing?

Fluffy:

Second question, so why is birth taking place today while there are apes changing into humans? and how come we never see the actual event of evolution taking place, while everyone has seen birth?
Inform yourself first about what evolution really is, instead of projecting your prejudices about it. Evolution takes place over geological timeschales before it has much visible effect. An ape (as in non-human) giving birth to a human would [b]contradict [/b]evolution, not prove it.
An yes, we have seen evolution taking place, several times. I urge you to read the thread I linked to before you ask more questions out of ignorance. [b]First [/b]inform yourself, [b]then [/b]make up your mind. You have no idea what evolution is, so don't reject something you don't even know.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by my2cents(m): 6:26pm On Apr 24, 2006
Fluffy,

Preface: I am a christian grin

When you say that evidence was made up by evolutionists, one can also argue that evidence was made up concerning the bible. You accept the happenings of the bible by faith I presume.

As for my opinion, both theories co-exist. God created all things and over time, these things have evolved grin
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Cactus(m): 10:29pm On Apr 24, 2006
the issue of creationism and evolution i do believe will never be answered. Though i am a christian, some questions are yet to be answered. what happened Before Christ. at least people were in existence long before christ came, were there any religions in existence, prehistoric times (before any , , evolution has definitely played its part in our existence.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Free(f): 11:13pm On Apr 24, 2006
I dont believe in Evolution!!!
it dont really make sense to me
especially the ones about humans being descendants of Monkeys!!!
how??
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by dakmanzero(m): 11:40pm On Apr 24, 2006
Please, eh, people!

Poor fluffy just wanted us to come reassure her that she's not a walking talking ape, like Uncle shege grin

Dont worry, fluffy, you're fearfully and wonderfully made in the everlasting image of our beloved creator lord and saviour! You are a wonderful and unique snowflake! You are special! You are beautiful! Just look at those lovely eyes. smiley

Dont mind all those cold-hearted scientists and their evolution talk, joooooo. *hiss*. nonsense people.

However, Uncle shege and George Bush are different. They evolved from Muuunkeys, see? And they didnt just pop out of nowhere, but the monkeys were just, like, the 1,000,000th step in a very very long process that began with the formation of basic Amino acids in the primordial soup, a process that can be observed today.

Uncle Bonzo the Orangutang u see in the ZOO is not the thing that evolved into uncle shege and georgie bushy. Rather he has a common ancestor with them. And evolution is still taking place today, witness the changing lifespans, brain densities among human beings, and the changing colours of common dragonflies as they adapt to an industrial environment.

please all u wicked people, don't ruin my darling fluffy's day by claiming she is a glorified monkey. Maybe u are, but I certainly am not! See, I can use the internet. How many monkeys do u see that can use the Internet. *hiss*. Nonsense people.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Nobody: 12:56am On Apr 25, 2006
hey darkman, monkeys use the internet too!

Those that search using any search engine besides "ask.com" are all monkeys! Just watch the tv advert!
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by dakmanzero(m): 1:15am On Apr 25, 2006
but, but, I use google!

does, does that make me a monkey too? A simian cousin of the orang-utang gang?!?!?!?!!! shocked

Nooooooooooooooooo!

damn you davidylan! damn you to hades!!!!!
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Nobody: 3:40am On Apr 25, 2006
dakmanzero:

but, but, I use google!

does, does that make me a monkey too? A simian cousin of the orang-utang gang?!?!?!?!!! shocked

Nooooooooooooooooo!

damn you davidylan! damn you to hades!!!!!

Darkman, take it easy. Obviously you live in Nigeria and have never seen the new "ask.com" adverts. they use monkeys to simulate those who use other search engines. The advert has been running on tv for a month now.

It's just an advert bro. Be careful with your language!
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Fluffy(f): 8:52am On Apr 25, 2006
KAG

Please retrace your steps and you will see in aprevious post you clearly stated humans are apes and afterwards that we share a common ancestor with them. So stick to your answers!

I am still not convinced about sharing a common ancestor with apes, baboons, gorrilas or whateva all my ancestors were humans CREATED by God and I don't have monkeys,apes for ancestors. 

So KAG and Nferyn you both  believe you are apes or that you have the blood of APES running in your veins

Where do your parents fit into this picture, or where they just used as vessels to bring you into the world by the APES?  cheesy
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Fluffy(f): 9:02am On Apr 25, 2006
my2cents:

Fluffy,

Preface: I am a christian grin

When you say that evidence was made up by evolutionists, one can also argue that evidence was made up concerning the bible. You accept the happenings of the bible by faith I presume.

As for my opinion, both theories co-exist. God created all things and over time, these things have evolved grin

I am glad to hear hat you are a christian, but it bothers me that as a child of the living God you would still believe in evolution. In my opinion evolution is something that goes against everyhting that God stands for. It teaches against the fact that we came from Adam and Eve and the whole process that took place in the garden of Eden which is actually very sad.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by nferyn(m): 9:17am On Apr 25, 2006
Fluffy:

KAG

Please retrace your steps and you will see in aprevious post you clearly stated humans are apes and afterwards that we share a common ancestor with them. So stick to your answers!
We are apes. We are part of the family (biological classification) Hominidae (great apes). Our cousins within that faily are the chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans. Witin that family, you've got the subfamily Homininae, with the tribe Hominini that includes chimpanzees and humans. Under that tribe there are two genuses, pan (chimps) and homo (humans).

KAG is right. We bot are [/b]apes and [b]share a common ancestor with the other living apes.

Fluffy:

I am still not convinced about sharing a common ancestor with apes, baboons, gorrilas or whateva all my ancestors were humans CREATED by God and I don't have monkeys,apes for ancestors.
You do [/b]have apes for ancestors, but none of the living apes. Our ape ancestors were quite different from the living apes. If you want to believe you were created by God, why can't you accept that God created you through evolution. Most Christians accept that answer.

Fluffy:

So [b]KAG
and Nferyn you both believe you are apes or that you have the blood of APES running in your veins
I do. As I am an ape (a very peculiar one for that matter), I do have ape blood in my veins.

Fluffy:

Where do your parents fit into this picture, or where they just used as vessels to bring you into the world by the APES? cheesy
As my parents and their ancestors were apes as well, this question is mute. Why is it so difficult to believe that all living things are related through a common ancestory? It's quite remarkable and wonderful to think about the fact that, the further you go back in time, the broader our relationship comes with all living things. We are all connected, even with the viruses that give you the flu.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by nferyn(m): 9:20am On Apr 25, 2006
Fluffy:

[SNIP]
It teaches against the fact that we came from Adam and Eve and the whole process that took place in the garden of Eden which is actually very sad.

That is either and allegory to explain the relation between God and humankind or it is a fairy tale for children. It is certainly not factual.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by lioness(f): 9:46am On Apr 25, 2006
I believe in the biblical creation.
Its alright if you dont believe. Its just that the scientific evolution crap doesnt convince me "half bit".
There are issues that scientists still cant explain.

If they say humans came from Apes and evolution crack-up.
How come there are no more apes evolving to humans anymore.

I BELIEVE IN GOD AND NO CRAP IS GONNA CHANGE IT.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by Fluffy(f): 9:51am On Apr 25, 2006
@Nferyn

Creation is no fairytale. God did not need apes to create human beings.
Animals were created seperately, dogs were created as dogs, cats as cats,
apes as apes.

But we humans were created very different from animals, we were created in
the very image of God Himself. That is why I feel it is so wrong to compare humans
to something like apes.

@Lioness

You go girl!!!!! kiss kiss kiss
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by dakmanzero(m): 9:55am On Apr 25, 2006
davidylan:

Darkman, take it easy. Obviously you live in Nigeria and have never seen the new "ask.com" adverts. they use monkeys to simulate those who use other search engines. The advert has been running on tv for a month now.

It's just an advert bro. Be careful with your language!

laughs!!!!!  cheesy

davidylan, i was just pulling your legs! do u actually believe I'd damn you to hades?

"Damn you, saffron!!!! Damn you to Hades!!!! I, I shaved off my BEARD for you!!!! Devil woman!!!!!!!"

cheesy

but, but, as for me being a Munnunnunnnnkeiiiiii, what I still say is,

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

cheesy

On a serious note:  thats the only problem people REALLY have with evolution. They refuse to accept the fact that they are descended from lowly apes despite the overwhelming evidence all over their not-particularly-divine and very-certainly-animalistic bodies. Not any logical reason. Its just that when someone looks at you and says:

"You Are An Ape"

it sounds like an insult! cheesy

personally I'd put it this way. your SOUL, which makes you a Child Of God (TM) was made by GOD himself (which is why u cant see it, duuuuuh) and put inside a fleshy vessel (with selfish needs and desires that drive you to SIN) that was descended from Apes. So the FLESH was descended from apes, but the SPIRIT is a creation of GOD! afterall its created in GOD's divine image, and since we cant see God the fact that we cant see the soul follows suit.

Or do u want to tell me that GOD has 2 legs 2 arms, a head with EYES ON THE FRONT (what a terrible location), a TAIL THAT IS COMPLETELY USELESS (except for opening and closing ya butthole so u dont stink up the place when ya farting away, does GOD fart?!?!??!) an Appendix for breaking down chorophyll, which we NO LONGER NEED TO DO (since we no longewr swing about de trees like our simian cousins in teh orang-utang gang) , a ridiculous arrangement where his reproductive organs and TOXIC WASTE DISPOSAL SYSTEM are forced to use the SAME body orifice, Sheeeeeesh!!!!!!

If u really believed in God u wouldnt claim that this fleshy vessel is anything like him. It is an Ape. Or at least it was one before the LORD breathed your spirit into it! rejoice!
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by EddyTells(m): 10:03am On Apr 25, 2006
@ Fluffy, WORD  girl  wink
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by sirwebs(m): 10:38am On Apr 25, 2006
@nferyn keeps pontificating and referring people to the earlier thread in February but even in that thread and in this one too he has refused to answer the question about the specialised organs in the body and how they relate with evolution. Can he tell us how the DNA in the cell came about with the precise information that enables it to design cells? If evolution began in the primordial soup, where did the 'Adamic' DNA derive the information to 'divide', evolve', 'change' etc? Do whatever it is it did?

-sirwebs-
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by nferyn(m): 11:00am On Apr 25, 2006
sirwebs:

@nferyn keeps pontificating and referring people to the earlier thread in February but even in that thread and in this one too he has refused to answer the question about the specialised organs in the body and how they relate with evolution. Can he tell us how the DNA in the cell came about with the precise information that enables it to design cells? If evolution began in the primordial soup, where did the 'Adamic' DNA derive the information to 'divide', evolve', 'change' etc? Do whatever it is it did?

-sirwebs-
What questions about specialised organs? I haven't seen anyone posing any questions about that. Maybe you want to?
DNA doesn't design cells. What exactly do you want to know?
Evolution began from the simple organic replicators. The information was contained within itself. If you want information on how self-replicating systems work, I'd be happy to provide that. One quite interesting non-organic, self replicating system is the formation of hurricanes.

Anyway, sirwebs, what exactly is your point? Every time someone tries to put up a challenge [/i]against evolution, they get refuted. Creationism on the other hand, does not measure up to even the the simplest type of critical examination. Would you care to provide evidence in favor of creationism? Even I, a non-specialist, could easily refute such [i]evidence

Dear sirwebs, I must say I resent your ad hominem slurs as if I refuse to answer questions. If you want to start a below the belt boxing contest, go and search other adversaries.
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by nferyn(m): 11:02am On Apr 25, 2006
Eddy Tells:

@ Fluffy, WORD girl wink
Ah, the famous Eddy Tells has entered the arena. Care to contribute anything of substance, sir?
Re: Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? by dakmanzero(m): 11:15am On Apr 25, 2006
em, nferyn, many of us here dunno teh meaning of 'ad hominem'.

even if you said 'Against the man fallacy' it would still go over all our heads!!!

oh, me so stupid, me velly velly stupid,

On another note, sirwebs, if you want to understand how evolution comes about producing specialised oragns I'd recommend these books:

The selfish gene
and
The blind watchmaker

by Robert Dawkins.

The topic is beyond the scope of this forum, but please understand that the process of evolution is by no means random and haphazard- it is self-ordering in an *emergent* way. I'm sorry I had to use that word, but its the only way I can stuff such a topic into such a small place.

In any case, I think it shouldnt be hard to accept that the spirit is created by God and the fleshy body is akin to that of an ape. Personally I think that it is even more insulting to religious sensibilities to claim that the body is in the image of God. It is the SPIRIT and not this smelly, sinful, blood-and-sweat-suppurating meat sack that is in the image of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Lack Of Manners In Churches These Days / Prophet Shepherd Bushiri Filled Up FNB Stadium In South Africa (Photos) / Father Louis Odudu Dies 4 Days After Escaping Kidnappers' Den

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.