Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,224 members, 7,807,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD (1200 Views)

Ogun To Generate Electricity From Sawdust / Lagos Generates N2.433trn In Eight Years, Spends N2.7trn / PARASTATAL States:only Lagos Generates Enough Independent Revenue To Stay Afloat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by omosexy1: 5:12pm On Dec 10, 2012
The Lagos State Waste Management Authority, LAWMA, has begun electricity generation from refuse under its waste to energy programme, an official said.
The Managing Director of the LAWMA, Ola Oresanya, said this on Monday in Lagos.
“We have waste to energy where we commission electricity from our wastes at one of our markets, Ikosi market. Then we have recycling plants all over that we’ve established. Right now, for plastic recycling centres, we have four centres up and running. The tyre shredding plant is also going on to manufacture rubbers from (used) tyres and apart from that we have several other things that are really going on in that regard.’’
Mr. Oresanya said the waste to energy project would be expanded to cover more markets in 2013.
He also highlighted the activities of the authority in the out-going year, saying that the year had been eventful for the authority.
“Our core area or new ground has been in the area of recycling that we are pushing and that has been our core focus for the development of Lagos and I think that is one key area where we’ve been creative.
“We’ve been able to evolve new strategies to make people recycle in Lagos; to change the perception of people and not to see wastes as waste, so that they will see it as resource and that (buying-back), we’ve been able to do through the introduction of recycling banks all over the city. We have the buying-back programme where people bring wastes and we pay them for bringing the wastes.
“That is assorted materials like pure water sachets. Right now, you bring it we pay N30 per kilogramme – paper, pet (broken) bottles and many other things like that. We have the wastes to food programme where we encourage children to bring recycle materials and we exchange that for food packs during holiday.”
He said that the core challenge of the authority in the outgoing year was the bad attitude of Lagos residents toward waste disposal.
“Lagosians still have this bad habit of throwing wastes from their cars and dumping wastes in unauthorised areas though this has been reducing but it’s been a major challenge and we are addressing it.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/110504-lagos-generates-electricity-from-waste-says-lawma-md.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=lagos-generates-electricity-from-waste-says-lawma-md
Re: Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by apoti(m): 5:17pm On Dec 10, 2012
Nice one from Lagos State. We generate tons of waste in Nigeria, if we could recycle some and convert others to energy, that will generate some income and preserve our environment as well
Re: Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by omowolewa: 5:37pm On Dec 10, 2012
I thought it will be the usual political promise but thank God its a done deal.

If Lagos state can have Economic plans and are sure of next plans of action at every point in time than the entire nation,it a shame on Nigeria.

I wonder whether we have strategic plan in Nigerian (maybe in Ministry of Agric). We only react and enact laws so as to perform short term project that gives immediate personal gain.

Its high time we gave Lagos more allocation or special status as a state to do more.
Re: Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by Omexonomy: 5:41pm On Dec 10, 2012
@op Is it the two megawatt of electricity you are talking about. Ask ur self if genrating such thing is right why not at least ten megawatt. Please let our governos be serious and stop taking us for a ride. NOTE(CAVEAT) i am not a fidifi member just my sincere observation
Re: Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by Jakumo(m): 5:44pm On Dec 10, 2012
Future Nigerian President Raji Fashola continues to set new benchmarks for sustainable development in Nigeria, with this master-stroke of recycling genius that solves two urban problems at once - trash disposal and power generation.
Re: Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by nameo: 5:47pm On Dec 10, 2012
THIS IS GOOD NA
Re: Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by apoti(m): 5:59pm On Dec 10, 2012
Omexonomy: @op Is it the two megawatt of electricity you are talking about. Ask ur self if genrating such thing is right why not at least ten megawatt. Please let our governos be serious and stop taking us for a ride. NOTE(CAVEAT) i am not a fidifi member just my sincere observation

I don't know where you got the 2MW from, but what I commend here is the concept. Instead of the usual waste burning, that pollutes the air with CO and other noxious gases, we are having a cleaner environment and also generating some money. BTW if they can produce 2MW now, they can generate 10MW or even more as they improve wink
Re: Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by Boss13: 6:10pm On Dec 10, 2012
Guys for those of una wey dey throwey pure water sachet anyhow una fit mek money oh.
Re: Lagos Generates Electricity From Waste, Says LAWMA MD by geez1: 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2012
Seriously, each time I say the Yorubas lead, people scream that I am a tribal bigot but just let the scales if tribalism fall off your eyes and take an objective look at this. Seriously I just wished we were a separate country on our own

(1) (Reply)

All Those Beautiful Years We Spent In Nigeria-a Ghanian Perspective / Is There Any Billionaire In Nigeria Who Has Not Stolen Public Funds? / Photo: Al Mustapha Visits TB Joshua Immediately After Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.