Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff (13744 Views)

Addax Retrenches Over 90% Of Its Contract Staff / Pls I Heard Union Bank Is Recruiting Presently / Etb Lays Off Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by greenoak: 5:02am On Dec 11, 2012
Pathetic really pathetic bt all d. Same dats d beginning of greatness for some of them.it. Is well
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by ifyalways(f): 5:32am On Dec 11, 2012
Was there a breech of contract?

I'm afaraid but contracts are what they are: temporal.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 5:49am On Dec 11, 2012
ifyalways: Was there a breech of contract?

I'm afaraid but contracts are what they are: temporal.

Its 'breach' and 'afraid'. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 6:15am On Dec 11, 2012
wealth123:

The beauty of this company which has its presence in over 200 countries is that you can also earn N4000 OR $25 and above using only your mouth to introduce the business. All you need is the initial registration fee of N55000 to become a distributor.

Forever Living abi? You are also looking for dpownlines after what you were promised in your seminars are not what you are seeing! And your uplines will tell you that you are not doing the right thing, brainwashing you again and again. Let me tell you the fact: the chances you will make it in MLM is 1 out of 3000. You see how slim that is? Go and create your own business and stop making your uplines richer. Go*t
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Bellozicobichi: 6:28am On Dec 11, 2012
linsa01: Lord have mercy. 1000 people became jobless overnight even with the present rate of unemployment. Nigeria is heading towards a direction. Dont ask me the direction.
its either somsali land or simply 2 ward hell god forbides bad things
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by cyril83(m): 6:36am On Dec 11, 2012
wealth123: My advice to those affected is not to cry but to take a look at the opportunity below:

It is now possible to become a distributor of many companies with only N55,000 registration.

After registration you will have access to buy goods at distributor prices and sell at retail prices and keep the difference. This company will allow you to buy goods from companies like: Dangote Cement, WAPCO LARFARGE, SAMSUNG, LG and many other items like ipads, phones even recharge cards from MTN, AIRTELL, GLO and Etisalat at dicount prices.

If you dont have a start up capital, you can look for anybody that wants to buy these products, they pay the company directly and the company will give you the goods and your mark-up or commission/cash back.

The beauty of this company which has its presence in over 200 countries is that you can also earn N4000 OR $25 and above using only your mouth to introduce the business. All you need is the initial registration fee of N55000 to become a distributor.

This is not a get rich quick scheme. You will work but the reward is great.

Call me: 08082083126.
You can also go to the company on your own. it is located off Toyin street at Ikeja. Call me for description. You are not paying to me but the company.

In addition to the above, the company also has a Cooperative Society duly registered by LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT (you can verify) that can give you loan to start your own business after some time with interest as low as 1%p.a and just one Guarantor.

YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY EXCUSE TO BE JOBLESS AS WE ENTER INTO THE NEW YEAR 2013.
thief ole carry am go....scammer drop d description here and don't expect anyone to call you....OLEEEEE
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by kabaka1: 6:41am On Dec 11, 2012
Osama10: Too many wrongs with this country.

Our labor laws are a big shiit.

Don't be so hard on naija labor laws. This kind of thing happens frequently in developed countries like the US.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 11, 2012
Osama10: Too many wrongs with this country.

Our labor laws are a big shiit.
they are contract/agency workers. I am sure its written somewhere in their letter of appointment that they can be terminated anytime their services are no longer needed. This is obtainable in the UK as well. In the UK, they are not even paid an extra penny when terminated.

I feel sorry for them though.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by bibelo: 7:12am On Dec 11, 2012
Anoda 1000 joins the number of the unemployed as casualisaton of workers reign supreme among banks.I was expecting to see all Funke Osibodu's praise singers sing her name to the high heavens. Abeg which award dem wan give am now cos d woman just dey sack any how. All those who were sacked and got the 'N75,000'should thank God cos that self righteous woman took pensioners of the bank to court just to avoid paying them their entitlements which had already been provided for. At least una suppose guess the money dey now dey rest. Naija!!
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by 80million1: 7:30am On Dec 11, 2012
*Speechless*

Streets are already filled with Hustlers,now an extra 1000 peeps are in the mix.
It's a beautiful Tuesday morning here in Lagos, BUT is it a beautiful tuesday for the Sacked 1000?
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by rman: 7:45am On Dec 11, 2012
goldfish80: a neighboor of mine was affected, she's been crying , there replacements Hªv£ already started working this Monday monrning.what a way to treat Nigerians in their own country, so sad
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by rman: 7:46am On Dec 11, 2012
goldfish80: a neighboor of mine was affected, she's been crying , there replacements Hªv£ already started working this Monday monrning.what a way to treat Nigerians in their own country, so sad

Were they replaced with foreigners?
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Arcard(m): 7:47am On Dec 11, 2012
As far as theres salaried job thre wl b sack letters, so no blame naija it happns every where.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Fyssy(f): 7:49am On Dec 11, 2012
Any employee can be sacked at anytime.

This is a lesson to everyone. Where ever you find yourself (oil, bank, govt, private sector) just keep doing something. Develop yourself, do professional certifications or do side business so that if it comes your way, you will be able to survive.

For those affected, take heart and think of another thing to do. God bless you!
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by mrkels(m): 8:08am On Dec 11, 2012
My friend started work yesterday morning and I was so happy for her. Wow see what happened for her to become happy, o no, I ll tell her to continue the job hunting jare.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by doctokwus: 8:16am On Dec 11, 2012
baby_123: I hope some of these people were not among those sowing quadruple seeds at the last jamboree. Anyway sha. undecided
Of course,some were;but u wudnt hear of such failed seed sowing frm d money guzzling churches,only wen a member out of maybe 1000 comes into a coincidental fortune wud u hear dem shouting dat its d "seed dey sowed" dat brought dem such favor.
@topic,its pathetic
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by annastacie: 8:22am On Dec 11, 2012
sack letter by yhis time dat wan na die oh
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Okijajuju1(m): 8:30am On Dec 11, 2012
Welcome to the world of contract staffing..

Sadly, the bank owes them no explanations.. Contract staff are temporal staff. The idea behind contract staffing is to remove the burden of unionism and severance benefits/pension when they decide to fire you..

I am only sad in had to be at christmas.. However, this is business not personal.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 11, 2012
Now i am afraid and keep thanking God. I am a contract staff of Mainstreet bank for over three years. I went for phillips outsourcing interview for this same Union bank but was not given the branch i chose which is Dopemu. I was later offered another branch in Lekki or V.I but i turned them down. Funniest thing is that about four of my colleagues have resigned and taken up this Union bank job. What lies their fate after five years? Even, i am getting worried as i am still a contract staff with Mainstreet bank. Does it man that same fate awaits all of us here as contract staff? I even heard that GTB plans to sack all their contract staff that have spent five years with them from next year. This country is doomed. What is the Ministry of labour doing about this? I need to fasten my belt and start looking elsewhere.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by goldfish80(m): 8:47am On Dec 11, 2012
rman:

Were they replaced with foreigners?
What a Callous response, assuming ur friend/sibling/dependant was affected by this, will Hªv£ asked ths silly question? Theres a thin line btwn being funny απϑ plain stuidity & Most people don't knw when they cross that line.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 11, 2012
wealth123: My advice to those affected is not to cry but to take a look at the opportunity below:

It is now possible to become a distributor of many companies with only N55,000 registration.

After registration you will have access to buy goods at distributor prices and sell at retail prices and keep the difference. This company will allow you to buy goods from companies like: Dangote Cement, WAPCO LARFARGE, SAMSUNG, LG and many other items like ipads, phones even recharge cards from MTN, AIRTELL, GLO and Etisalat at dicount prices.

If you dont have a start up capital, you can look for anybody that wants to buy these products, they pay the company directly and the company will give you the goods and your mark-up or commission/cash back.

You can also go to the company on your own. it is located off Toyin street at Ikeja. Call me for description. You are not paying to me but the company.

In addition to the above, the company also has a Cooperative Society duly registered by LAGOS STATE GOVERNMENT (you can verify) that can give you loan to start your own business after some time with interest as low as 1%p.a and just one Guarantor.

Sharrap!
Nonsense!
angry
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 8:49am On Dec 11, 2012
...Life goes on...
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by BE811APP: 8:50am On Dec 11, 2012
U called it Contract ryt??
Der sack was eminent na.....der bags are supposed to be packed by one side at all tyms.....
Even as a staff if u havnt bin confirmed..... U can be sacked wen d coy wants dat and ders nuthng u can do abut dat.....

Why we r all making noise here is jst 1 thng: its hard to get a gud Job in dis country....VEERRRYYYY hard.....
In order countries..u will jst pick a news paper make some calls and u r back with a Job....

Let's Pray we get Gud Jobs..
Amen!!!!!
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Okijajuju1(m): 8:53am On Dec 11, 2012
topefisayo: Now i am afraid and keep thanking God. I am a contract staff of Mainstreet bank for over three years. I went for phillips outsourcing interview for this same Union bank but was not given the branch i chose which is Dopemu. I was later offered another branch in Lekki or V.I but i turned them down. Funniest thing is that about four of my colleagues have resigned and taken up this Union bank job. What lies their fate after five years? Even, i am getting worried as i am still a contract staff with Mainstreet bank. Does it man that same fate awaits all of us here as contract staff? I even heard that GTB plans to sack all their contract staff that have spent five years with them from next year. This country is doomed. What is the Ministry of labour doing about this? I need to fasten my belt and start looking elsewhere.

[b]This country is not doomed...

Contract staffing is everywhere in the world..

If companies where to hire only permanent staff, then their workforce would have to be reduced and the workload of the few staff there would be astronomical..

The truth is that similar fate awaits you at Mainstreet bank.. Thats why your contract has an expiration date (Go grab a copy and read it).. Even with that date, a clause is always there that reads like this; Company reserves the right to terminate this contract at its convinience..

The reason why IOCs, OSCs, Banks, Telecoms and all like contract staff is simply the little baggage that comes with it.. No unionism, no pensions, no severance pay, you cant sue them for wrongful termination, no car allowance, no housing, non of the perks that comes with permanent staff. Thats why you dont get a promotion.. just a change of job description which most times never affect your pay..

If you are a permanent staff, consider yourself there to accuire some experience and keep looking for a permanent job until you find one.. Or better yet, look within the company you work for and find out how you can become a vendor to them and start your own business. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by nkirulucky: 9:01am On Dec 11, 2012
olaoluyincah: Then the new contract staffs shouldn't relent in job hunting as well, same can be done to dem at a future date.
definately it WIill be done to them when most of them must have been out of employable age. Tell me where they start from by then as freshers or as what?
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by dafman10(m): 9:23am On Dec 11, 2012
bestower: No matter what the nature of their job in the company they should at least be informed forthnite to the scenario either contract staff or permanent staff....this is total rubbish.No job security in this country at all,u get hired today and tomorrow u get fired.I hate salary jobs.

Inform dem Lol u tink say bank no get sense? Inform dem b4 sacking and see how smart d ones go defraud both bank n customers b4 bn laid off.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 11, 2012
nkirulucky:
definately it WIill be done to them when most of them must have been out of employable age. Tell me where they start from by then as freshers or as what?
Its just too sad. Now, i dont have the zeal to work effectively again. Its so sad, so so sad.
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by tunapawizzy: 9:49am On Dec 11, 2012
Adesiji77: This is serious! There is nothing that beats having your own business...
absolutely nothing
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by Nobody: 9:53am On Dec 11, 2012
I know its not easy to get a job in this country, being a contract staff for an organisation for five years, is not the best unless such organisations a good salary. I think they have tried, if they ave spent five years as tellers, they would have outgrown the positions in the bank, and its high time they shift for others who don't have a job now, someone would be giving thanksgiving in the church, if he has N75000 in his bank account this month. The advice I have for the new intakes is that, they should expect the same thing in few years to come, that is why they said "contract staff".I hope u all understand, I don't mean to hurt anybody, or add insult to one's injury. I have a friend that something like this happened to with intercontinental bank, but d bank's decision made him a better person now, event better than those he left in the bank. As you are lamenting now, some are happy that, they now have a job...such is life. At times this things happen, to us, so that there will be a way for a better one. God has bigger plans.

1 Like

Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by bibelo: 10:38am On Dec 11, 2012
Make GT no do their own o,cos I get plenty friends for there o,make dem no spoil something for my paddy o. Very soon contract staffs will be committing a lot of fraud to beat their employers to the game
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by pawpawguy: 11:03am On Dec 11, 2012

Another way of dubing people...advance robery! 55000 multiply by 1000 people....9ja i hail ooo
Re: Union Bank Secretly Lays-Off 1000 Contract Staff by ucheheart(m): 12:10pm On Dec 11, 2012
menix: After 5yrs of faithful service? Jst 75k? Dis got mii weepin.. Bleep our labour leaders!!!
your labour leaders are only interested in fuel subsidy removal. They are warning up for january

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

60K Job Offer after 5,000 Applications and 2 Interviews | What Would YOU do? / Management Trainee At Tropical General Investments (TGI) / ICS Limited Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.