Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,768 members, 7,806,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:41 AM

Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? (44391 Views)

Do Pregnant Women Fart So Much? My Wife Is Driving Me Nuts... / Why Do Pregnant Women Spit Out Saliva Continuously? How Can They Be Helped? / Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by lumeneng22: 9:48am On Dec 11, 2012
To stop amebos from asking too many quaishin.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Whymee: 10:25am On Dec 11, 2012
mollytinrox: The belief is that evil children(malformed, retards, cretins, abiku, ogbanje) cannot stand the pinch of the pin if they try to enter the womb.

Its not all the time, just when they want to go out in the sun.
Also, in the absence of pins, stones are used.

Scientifically, pregnant women are advised not to walk in the sun because of the dangers of UV rays to the fetus.

How come we then have ( malformed, retards, cretins, abiku, ogbanje, witches, wizards, etc) in our midst, especially religious gathering accusing innocent children of possessing these characters.

The last time I checked, safety pin was introduced and became common, when baby napkin was introduced to Nigerian mothers, perharbs one should ask, which items is been use for such supposed protection before safety pin.

There is a saying that says,
Hater create rumour
Spread by fools, accepted by idiots

All these belief, idea, jargons, hallucinations, etc are created by unexpose minds then.
Spread by media, especially African movie.
Accepted and believe by gullible minds.

Be wise.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Olumogun: 11:11am On Dec 11, 2012
You think this is practiced by the Yoruba alon, the get to Benin, Owerri, Eket, Auchi, Okene, Otrukpo, etc
The case is even more among the religious north where certain "tira" is made for this.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 12:18pm On Dec 11, 2012
sunky644:
Interesting, so nairalanders could be this serious with a particular topic to the extent of forgetting the grammatical error in it or I should say The Wole Soyinkas and Patrick Obahiagbons ve not yet commented.
To the topic, was told the reason is to prevent the fetus from evil spirit hovering around.

bushmeat... Chech ur dico.. Fetus is d sametin as foetus..
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by OILOFGLADNESS: 12:41pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: Have been wondering why our pregnant women always attached safety pin(s) to their clothes/wears...

It is commonly practiced among the yorubas bt i don't know weda this also applicable to other culture/tribes..

According to an elderly man who pleaded annonimity pointed out that "Safety pin" is usually attached to their clothes/wears so as to protect the fetus from evil spirit/deamon expecially @ noon and night!

I don't know weda u too have witness this in a pregnant women's clothes...

How do you reciprocate to this...?Nairalanders...

What is the meaning and how true is it?

I will appreciate your good response...
Thanks!

my dear thanks for this post, i ahve been wondering why too,
i had knowledge of this superstitious believe cos i am fond of putting safety pin on my cloths so that i wont misplace them, on one occassion someone called me and told me that she respects me so much and believe that i am so principled, what happend, i never understood, she now asked me why i put pin on my cloth funny enof very close to my stomach
i told her nothing, that was when she told me the implication, since then i become so conscious of it.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by OILOFGLADNESS: 12:49pm On Dec 11, 2012
harlos: igbos too do it, and i've seen it daadaa... They say its pursue evil away from the pregnancy.

this is a chronic lie, its yoruba, it was even a yoruba girl that told me, that was in university,

even if ibos does it , they were influenced by their yoruba friends.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by cisse7575(m): 12:50pm On Dec 11, 2012
greatgod2012: I dont know its relevance on pregnancy, funny enough, some dont know d relevance too, yet they use it out of fear that has been planted in them, but i heard that its used against d attack of evil ones on d pregnancy or d foetus, forgetting that it is what God allow to happen that will happen. I have discovered in this life that if u fear God, u have nothing to fear again.

take your mat or bed, lay it on the expressway and then sleep on it. If truly everything that occur is God willingly. A son whom is the only son of his parents coming back home from NYSC and was shot on the process, did God do that??
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by cisse7575(m): 12:53pm On Dec 11, 2012
Olumogun: You think this is practiced by the Yoruba alon, the get to Benin, Owerri, Eket, Auchi, Okene, Otrukpo, etc
The case is even more among the religious north where certain "tira" is made for this.

Never mind them jare....
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by luminousbohry: 12:57pm On Dec 11, 2012
So it was actually done for all of you here during ur pregnancy.....see what ignorance can cause
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Dec 11, 2012
Never seen or heard of any preggie attaching pins to their clothes,for those who practise that,i think the answer is cos they LOVE PRIC.KS
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 1:34pm On Dec 11, 2012
OILOFGLADNESS:

i had knowledge of this superstitious believe cos i am fond of putting safety pin on my cloths so that i wont misplace them, on one occassion someone called me and told me that she respects me so much and believe that i am so principled, what happend, i never understood, she now asked me why i put pin on my cloth funny enof very close to my stomach
i told her nothing, that was when she told me the implication, since then i become so conscious of it.

I do that sometimes but dont place the pins where they can be seen.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by salolo(m): 1:40pm On Dec 11, 2012
cry cry cry shocked shocked shocked sad sad sad sad grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by coogar: 1:40pm On Dec 11, 2012
tpia1:

common among the yoruba, i should think.

kind of routine, not unusual.

not sure what the actual underlying reason is though.

so will you be attaching one to your cloth when you get preggers? if a woman travels abroad while pregnant, can she also ward off the evil spirit or are these foul spirits only present in nigeria?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 2:36pm On Dec 11, 2012
OILOFGLADNESS:

Could u pls share d implications wit us...?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 2:37pm On Dec 11, 2012
coogar:

so will you be attaching one to your cloth when you get preggers? if a woman travels abroad while pregnant, can she also ward off the evil spirit or are these foul spirits only present in nigeria?

I doubt it matters if i do or dont, since its not your business, is it?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 2:39pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ask4bigneyo:

Could u pls share d implications wit us...?

The "implications" are what was discussed earlier on the thread, namely the beliefs attached to it.

SHE didnt say she adhers to them, only that she has safety pins on her occasionally for when she needs some.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 11, 2012
harlos: igbos too do it, and i've seen it daadaa... They say its pursue evil away from the pregnancy.

I guess we learn something new everyday
Never heard of it till this thread
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 11, 2012
Osisi?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Dec 11, 2012
jennykadry: Osisi?

Jenny nwa nma
U still hia?
Good to see you again
How life?
How oga dey?
Please where is thiefofhearts,I have been searching for her
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Dec 11, 2012
babyosisi:

Jenny nwa nma
U still hia?
Good to see you again
How life?
How oga dey?
Please where is thiefofhearts,I have been searching for her

Osisi ooooo. kiss kiss kiss

Infact I dey vex, where have you been since? You know your type is well needed in this family section?

TOH is on sabbatical

Oga is foine and In Naija rocking my mothers plate of ogbono soup as he stated yesterday
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by coogar: 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2012
tpia1:
I doubt it matters if i do or dont, since its not your business, is it?

oh shut up you hypersensitive hag....
why do you always carry a constipated aura around? i was asking a genuine question since you said you sometimes attach voodoo pins to your cloth. sheeesh, i think you need to take life easy before you blow your gasket. damn! on a second thought, i think you need to get laid.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Ask4bigneyo(m): 5:14pm On Dec 11, 2012
babyosisi:

I guess we learn something new everyday
Never heard of it till this thread

really? And u dey dis our obodo naija..!
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 5:15pm On Dec 11, 2012
@ coogar

do you ever get tired of doing drugs!!!! Your mood swings will improve when you're in menopause, i hope. undecided

if you know how to read, two separate matters are being discussed on the thread.

1. pregnant women being told to put pins on their person to ward against evil

2. pins on person in order to have some handy when needed.

do you get it now, or you need to sniff some more crack to focus?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by abouqi(f): 5:20pm On Dec 11, 2012
I sincerely believe if some of your mums have used these safety pins the children they were blessed with by God won't have been changed to some of you Nairalanders going by your comments; the way you reason, the way to talk to men of God,....you guys definitely are not God's original plans for your parents.
This is why some call the use of safety pins all manner of names. My advice: when your wives are pregnant, allow them to walk at anytime of the day or night; they shouldn't use any safety pins ooo, you should not forget to take them out to clubs, right? The results (babies) you will get will show that AFRICA TRADITION ARE INCONSEQUENTIAL!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by coogar: 5:22pm On Dec 11, 2012
tpia1:
@ coogar
do you ever get tired of doing drugs!!!! Your mood swings will improve when you're in menopause, i hope. undecided

what has my drugs or lack of it gotta do with this? i asked you a simple question and the next thing was for you to raise your shoulders like you have got a dozen boils in both of your armpits! lighten up and stop PMSing...

if you know how to read, two separate matters are being discussed on the thread.
1. pregnant women being told to put pins on their person to ward against evil
2. pins on person in order to have some handy when needed.
do you get it now, or you need to sniff some more crack to focus?

so your cognitive reasoning cannot detect these 2 events are not mutually exclusive? if a woman who loves to carry pins on her person suddenly gets pregnant - would she still carry the pins to ward off evil spirits or not? that's the question i asked you before your brain did the usual 21-fart salute!
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by harlos: 5:28pm On Dec 11, 2012
OILOFGLADNESS:

this is a chronic lie, its yoruba, it was even a yoruba girl that told me, that was in university,

even if ibos does it , they were influenced by their yoruba friends.
i don't know if they were influenced or not all i know is that i use to see it on igbos too cos many people are saying its among the yorubas only lyk say igbos no dey do am...
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 6:14pm On Dec 11, 2012
abouqi: I sincerely believe if some of your mums have used these safety pins the children they were blessed with by God won't have been changed to some of you Nairalanders going by your comments; the way you reason, the way to talk to men of God,....you guys definitely are not God's original plans for your parents.
This is why some call the use of safety pins all manner of names. My advice: when your wives are pregnant, allow them to walk at anytime of the day or night; they shouldn't use any safety pins ooo, you should not forget to take them out to clubs, right? The results (babies) you will get will show that AFRICA TRADITION ARE INCONSEQUENTIAL!

i think there's something about walking at night too, but i dont recall what it was.

pregnant women shouldnt go out at night, or something like that.

however, that one is easy to interpret- obviously, why would a pregnant woman in nigeria be walking around at night anyway?
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 11, 2012
To whomever said this must be a Yoruba thing, I'm Yoruba and I've never heard of it.

No woman in my family has ever worn a pin for "safety".
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 6:36pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ask4bigneyo: Have been wondering why our pregnant women always attached safety pin(s) to their clothes/wears...

It is commonly practiced among the yorubas bt i don't know weda this also applicable to other culture/tribes..

true its common among yorubas, but i dont know the prevalence in other tribes.

its just a superstition, same as everywhere in the world has theirs.

eg people touching a pregnant woman's belly, etc etc.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
To whomever said this must be a Yoruba thing, I'm Yoruba and I've never heard of it.

No woman in my family has ever worn a pin for "safety".

or used a nigerian toilet either, no doubt.
Re: Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? by tpia1: 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2012
@ topic and the ones "opening mouth"

probably as a source of iron, in some way.

lack of folic acid [iron] leads to neural tube defects in the baby.

prenatal vitamins are fairly recent.

http://blogs.babycenter.com/community_buzz/05202012pregnancy-and-solar-eclipse-superstitions/

http://forumhealthcare.org/wearing-a-safety-pin-while-pregnant-t175897.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Anyone Here Knows The Ifediora Family Of Umudioka? / Only Introverts Will Understand These / 7 Things You Should Learn To Do In Your 20s To Avoid Regrets In Your Later Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.