Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,990 members, 7,806,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:03 AM

Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts (23709 Views)

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / Why Did Christian Missionaries Claim That The Panare Indians Killed Jesus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by modicum: 8:57pm On Dec 10, 2012
Bishop David Oyedepo may be right altogether in his assertion that the Covenant University was not built with tithes and offerings of parishioners. There are some possible scenarios and some very impossible ones in considerations here. Let's start with the impossible ones first

1.) He couldn't have raised the funds to build the university from the royalty he gets from his books
2.) He couldn't have done same from any form of income he makes that are legitimate (I will like to be taken up on that).
3.) He couldn't have done it with any partner(s) from abroad known or unknown.

The possibilities could be any or combination of the following
1.) Such huge funds could only be raised by investors that do not want to be named, which means it is a venture or an investment that pays dividends. That possibility is remote but could be advanced.
2.) He could have raised money from Capital market to do it, but no data to back up that argument publicly or secretly.
3.) Or is it possible that Oyedepo is being used to front private University by some powerful entity who doesn't want to be seen or known. Very remote possibility.
4.) Such huge funds can also be easily sourced if Oyedepo is into Oil deals and collecting subsidies (we just heard about one Folorunso Alakija topping Oprah's money as the richest woman in the world). There is huge money in the Nigeria Oil sector to be made, and I remember Obasanjo calling the prominent Nigerian Pastors contractors in religious cloak. Very high possibility if what Oyedepo claim is true
5.) The only other possibility is that Oyedepo is lying about his story. That's about 90% possible with me.

If you disown the people at a critical time like this then something is startegically wrong somewhere. Every missionary institution that I was born to see in Nigeria claim they built everything with donations and offerings of people elsewhere. This case is very different and we need to critically examine it.

21 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by baby124: 9:26pm On Dec 10, 2012
You dont even need to analyse this deeply. You can tell when someone is lying. And in this case, Oyedepo is clearly lying. I wonder who gave him money? He should sha make sure he gives at least 10 students free scholarship every year from his church. They deserve it. They paid for the school. wink

7 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by k2039: 10:22pm On Dec 10, 2012
Op, your claims are laughable, you trying to defend and justify his statement.

You dont need to really stress your brain and imagination, you only need to interview people going to that church and you will certainly get your facts.

All you wrote are just hypothesis that will never become a law, because theyy are false.

4 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Joagbaje(m): 3:10pm On Dec 11, 2012
If the man of God , said he didn't use church money that should settle it. He couldnt have said so openly if it's not so. People over there would have taken him up on it if it were not so. We like to believe wrong report about ministers. But We doubt truths . Its sad.

11 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Nobody: 4:12pm On Dec 11, 2012
Good afternoon Mr Agbaje,

I bellieve firmly that this topic is really getting out of hand. I quite agree that people need to voice out when they sense that things are going awfully wrong in the community of God's people but I believe a number of threads have been opened for this purpose. If we need to voice out, why not make use of the existing threads?

I didn't want to comment on this issue, till I saw your post, which I think is a bit biased. I understand your position on the matter and frankly I think you deserve some commendation for trying to stand up for our "men of God". But really Mr. Agbaje, have some of these "men of God" given you much to fight for?

Making comments like:

Joagbaje: If the man of God , said he didn't use church money that should settle it. He couldnt have said so openly if it's not so.

is really not how you should approach this. Note that the only person that is incapable of lying is God. Every human has the capacity to lie. In as much as I cannot conclude that Bishop Oyedepo lied, it is also not proper to say that he is telling the truth. The fact that he said something doesn't make it true. I admire your trust and loyalty but such "blind" trust and loyalty should be giving to God alone.

Also, the quote:

Joagbaje:
People over there would have taken him up on it if it were not so.

demonstrates how "innocent" your thoughts are. Mr. Agbaje, note that the "blind loyalty" of the "good" Bishop's flock is legendary. Some of them are ready to put their lives on the line for him. Their love, admiration and respect for him is something admirable, hence no one would dare challenge him in public. So I honestly do not expect the members of his flock to speak up when he made those comments. I assure you that a good number of his church do not know where the money came from. Is this not rather disturbing?

Joagbaje:
We like to believe wrong report about ministers. But We doubt truths . Its sad.

Mr. Agbaje you are quite right with the above quote. So many people enjoy to see "Men of God" fall. They are also quick to believe falsehood spread against them. We are very quick to condemn but not quick to praise. I believe firmly that one who condemns at a moments notice should be quick to praise too. But Mr. Agbaje there is no way you can tell if the "good" bishop is telling the truth. His words are scarcely enough to prove that what he said is true. If he did not use the funds from his flock to build the school, why doesn't he come out clean, and tell us where he got the funds from. This wouldn't have been necessary if he had decided not to speak, but he spoke, and since he has decided to talk, he should also tell us where the money came from.

Mr. Agbaje, from the little I have noticed in some of your comments, I believe you are a respectable fellow but some of the utterances and actions of our "men of God" are not helping you build an effective defence for them.

Thank you!

30 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by MrAnony1(m): 5:13pm On Dec 11, 2012
modicum: Bishop David Oyedepo may be right altogether in his assertion that the Covenant University was not built with tithes and offerings of parishioners. There are some possible scenarios and some very impossible ones in considerations here. Let's start with the impossible ones first

1.) He couldn't have raised the funds to build the university from the royalty he gets from his books
How do you know this for sure? Do you know exactly how much his royalty is worth?

2.) He couldn't have done same from any form of income he makes that are legitimate (I will like to be taken up on that).
How do you know this for sure? Do you know exactly how many businesses he has and exactly how much income he is making from them? Also this question seems to hint that he also runs illegitimate businesses on the side. How do you know?

3.) He couldn't have done it with any partner(s) from abroad known or unknown.
Again, this is a very bold statement. Why are you so sure?

The possibilities could be any or combination of the following
1.) Such huge funds could only be raised by investors that do not want to be named, which means it is a venture or an investment that pays dividends. That possibility is remote but could be advanced.
2.) He could have raised money from Capital market to do it, but no data to back up that argument publicly or secretly.
3.) Or is it possible that Oyedepo is being used to front private University by some powerful entity who doesn't want to be seen or known. Very remote possibility.
4.) Such huge funds can also be easily sourced if Oyedepo is into Oil deals and collecting subsidies (we just heard about one Folorunso Alakija topping Oprah's money as the richest woman in the world). There is huge money in the Nigeria Oil sector to be made, and I remember Obasanjo calling the prominent Nigerian Pastors contractors in religious cloak. Very high possibility if what Oyedepo claim is true
5.) The only other possibility is that Oyedepo is lying about his story. That's about 90% possible with me.
You have just stated a list of speculations and finally concluded with your bias which is that he is lying. I would really like you to back up your claims though as I have challenged them.

If you disown the people at a critical time like this then something is startegically wrong somewhere. Every missionary institution that I was born to see in Nigeria claim they built everything with donations and offerings of people elsewhere. This case is very different and we need to critically examine it.
I agree, perhaps we should start with critically examining your assertions wouldn't you agree?

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Image123(m): 8:13am On Dec 12, 2012
i don't know for sure if the Bishop exactly said that THE UNIVERSITY wasn't built from TITHES AND OFFERINGS. But whatever, i think if he was lying, his listeners should be very astonished. As in the claim is that he said this openly at Shiloh 2012, in front of the bulk of church members, who are supposed as the contributors to the project. If he lied as alleged, i expect empty seats at the remaining Shiloh messages, or at least some sound of disappointment and unbelief from members.

4 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by petres007(m): 10:41am On Dec 12, 2012
Image123: i don't know for sure if the Bishop exactly said that THE UNIVERSITY wasn't built from TITHES AND OFFERINGS. But whatever, i think if he was lying, his listeners should be very astonished. As in the claim is that he said this openly at Shiloh 2012, in front of the bulk of church members, who are supposed as the contributors to the project. If he lied as alleged, i expect empty seats at the remaining Shiloh messages, or at least some sound of disappointment and unbelief from members.

This really should be the case but only if the "legendary" blind loyalty of his church members were not a factor to be considered in this matter.

Sadly, it is.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Joagbaje(m): 11:14am On Dec 12, 2012
striktlymi: Good afternoon Mr Agbaje,
Mr. Agbaje you are quite right with the above quote. So many people enjoy to see "Men of God" fall. They are also quick to believe falsehood spread against them. We are very quick to condemn but not quick to praise. I believe firmly that one who condemns at a moments notice should be quick to praise too. But Mr. Agbaje there is no way you can tell if the "good" bishop is telling the truth. His words are scarcely enough to prove that what he said is true. If he did not use the funds from his flock to build the school, why doesn't he come out clean, and tell us where he got the funds from. This wouldn't have been necessary if he had decided not to speak, but he spoke, and since he has decided to talk, he should also tell us where the money came from.

Mr. Agbaje, from the little I have noticed in some of your comments, I believe you are a respectable fellow but some of the utterances and actions of our "men of God" are not helping you build an effective defence for them.

Thank you!

Before this thread came out. I have said it several times that a pastor is only a steward . No real man of God will use church money to buy plane and so on. Im glad he confirm this . We commit a lot of sin by assumptions . Many Christians have a lot to be judged by God for all the lies we have peddled against ministers .

I'm aware Oyedele has oil rig which he received as gift . Apart from other doors of wealth open to him. Can we just think for a moment "what if I'm wrong " we have spread false information without fact . Those who say he use church money, where did they get the fact from. Did they investigate to know he used church money.

It is believed that among every 12 people there will be a judas or a disloyal fellow . So no matter the degree of what you refer to as blind followership , if its true that the man of God lied there will still be a disgruntled or disloyal person inside who will seize opportunity like this to destroy him by exposing him.

If the man say he didn't use church money. We should take his word for it. Any one with contrary opinion should prove it.

Lastly , saying the man of God should disclose where he got his money from doesn'take sense. He doesn't owe anybody such information. Either it's from bank or foreign partners and investors , it's not anyone's business.

Let's not forget Satan has not stopped his work as accuser of the brethren. He also labelled Jesus as a dupe .

John 7:12
And there was much murmuring among the people concerning him: for some said, He is a good man: others said, Nay; but he deceiveth the people.

6 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by aribisala0(m): 11:57am On Dec 12, 2012
Joagbaje: If the man of God , said he didn't use church money that should settle it. He couldnt have said so openly if it's not so. People over there would have taken him up on it if it were not so. We like to believe wrong report about ministers. But We doubt truths . Its sad.
But "men of God" have come out OPENLY to claim curing AIDs and no one in their church spoke out naa
These "men of God" have been lying in public for ever.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by stagger: 12:02pm On Dec 12, 2012
The issue with many Nigerians is that they bother themselves with irrelevant stuff. Covenant University was not built with tithes and offerings.

As at June 2009 when ASUU was trying to get the government to honour their 2001 agreement, Covenant University was paying Professors N13million per annum. I am not sure any university in Nigeria pays salaries to the degree CU pays. Not to talk of amenities, etc.

Bishop Oyedepo has many income sources he will never come out to say and he is not obliged to explain to anybody. I know a year he received so many car gifts that they were eventually auctioned to church members because they were too many.

God's blessings cannot be quantified in Naira and Kobo and certainly not by the workings and calculations of mere mortals like us.

11 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by pictures: 12:03pm On Dec 12, 2012
Are his followers complaining? Na wa for busy bodies . The man
has done more than the federal government . If he really built that
university within 7 months and Nigerian government cannot build our roads and provide
stable light with trillions at their disposal.This man ought to be given an award.
Personally it's not my business where he got his money from , don't muzzle the
Ox that tread the vine . Abi is that not in your bible ? Deuteronomy 25vs4

17 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by coogar: 12:04pm On Dec 12, 2012
Joagbaje: If the man of God , said he didn't use church money that should settle it. He couldnt have said so openly if it's not so. People over there would have taken him up on it if it were not so. We like to believe wrong report about ministers. But We doubt truths . Its sad.

i couldn't have said it better....
if the pastor says the university wasn't built with tithes and offerings, so be it. however, i think they should be using the funds they get more judiciously. instead of buying jets, they can build a large factory for the unemployed youths in the church. the wealth should be spreading down the pyramid!

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by stagger: 12:05pm On Dec 12, 2012
baby_123: You dont even need to analyse this deeply. You can tell when someone is lying. And in this case, Oyedepo is clearly lying. I wonder who gave him money? He should sha make sure he gives at least 10 students free scholarship every year from his church. They deserve it. They paid for the school. wink

What evidence do you have to back up this ridiculous claim of yours? I believe you went to school, so drop us three piecs of evidence to show he is "clearly lying".
Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by ypzilanti: 12:09pm On Dec 12, 2012
We live in a country where the authorities cannot and do not verify sources of wealth. In more developed climes, every single cent you make is accounted for, and anything not traceable can be seized by the tax authorities. There is nothing to hide when it comes to hard earned money.

If you are stupendously rich, you would have to inherit it, steal it, or many people would have had to use something you are selling.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by penzino(m): 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2012
Who gives anybody a right to judge anybodi talk less of a man of God? God is all knowing, leave everything to HIM to decide who is and who is not.......

4 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by cold(m): 12:10pm On Dec 12, 2012
This is a no-brainer! Bishop Oyedepo is lying through his teeth & this much is as clear as daylight. Can someone please point me in the direction of a business or businesses Oyedepo was running before the establishment of his church. Nigerians are so gullible it's mind boggling. Sheesh!

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by etymology: 12:16pm On Dec 12, 2012
@baby123: SHUT UP! who told you he's lying. for ur info, C.U has a sister university called Landmark university and more than 60 percent of its students are on scholarship!!!! so dont you come up here talking trash! aho are you to judge a man of God? have u judged ur self?!!!!! angry angry[color=#990000][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 12, 2012
if there is no transparency, how do you know it is not money laundering?

all these institutions need to be audited.

who knows who the mysterious donors are and what it is they do?

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 12, 2012
coogar: .
if the pastor says the university wasn't built with tithes and offerings, so be it.
I have a problem with this kind of thinking.
I am God.
Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by SisiKill1: 12:19pm On Dec 12, 2012
Don't know why some would rather look into the butt of a chicken to come up with excuses to justify Papa's truth circumvention.

That school was built using two types of resources. ..both harnnesed from his congregation. ...

1) Members who pledged their man power. ..giving up their Saturdays and Sundays to go carry pompom, blocks and mix cement.

2) Pledges - When it comes to Oyedepo you have look deeper than the surface. When he says they didn't collect donation or use tithes and offering, he is not lying. Dude has perfected the art of circumventing the truth.

Donation implies seeking help for something and having people give towards that cause. However Oyedepo does not seek help in doing anything. ..Whaaaaa? Don't you know who he is? Yeah, that is why the money collection has to be wrapped in a way that gives the congregation the impression that being able to give is a privilege and giving is for their own good. So they use names like Covenant with God pledges or Challenging God pledge or something equally stupid.

This is why the congregation does not remember donating for the schools, the bakeries, the printing press, the pure water business, the private jets etc. In their minds, they gave to God....Some of them will even tell you that as soon they kept their part of the convent they got their reward back in one way or the other. ..never mind that they still would have gotten it without giving anything because the process for whatever they got had been in the works way before the whole giving or that event would have happened anyway.

Seriously how can someone who is working say as soon as they paid their covenant, the next day they got paid their salary or someone who applied for a job, went for an interview say they got a job after keeping up their end of the bargain with God? How does someone who's been looking to buy a car say after he paid his covenant he was able to buy one.

Pastors like Oyedepo make it seem like every single thing soooooo hard to get, every single single thing you can succeed at is sooo hard to achieve....when people do, they believe it had to be due to some supernatural forces. That's why it is easy to fool them into making pledges for money to buy the jets, build the schools, the bakeries, the pure water plants etc and still be able to stand on the pulpit to claim he didn't take any money from the congregation without fear of being called out. The saddest part is those who are being fleeced start believing God can be bought.

I'd like to see a situation where someone who isn't working, has no means of money ever coming to them, paid covenant and was immediately paid salary or someone who didn't apply for any job, did not go for any interview, did not tell anyone he is looking for job but managed to get a job. Now that would be a true sign of mutual covenant keeping....pledging so God can do what seems impossible to others for you

Until then. ...All of this is just playing green light, red light.

17 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Anvaller: 12:21pm On Dec 12, 2012
stagger:
I know a year he received so many car gifts that they were eventually auctioned to church members because they were too many.

God's blessings cannot be quantified in Naira and Kobo and certainly not by the workings and calculations of mere mortals like us.

If he received the cars as gifts, the MOG could also have given the car back as gifts to deserving church members, so why auction? Think about it.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by decode55(m): 12:22pm On Dec 12, 2012
y'all should free these so called "men of God"..

when time comes, we go know who be who

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by nep2ra(m): 12:25pm On Dec 12, 2012
I think he's right when he says CU wasn't built from Tithes and Offerings. I'm aware there were SPECIAL SEEDS sown towards the building of the University. People paid SACRIFICIAL OFFERINGS and paid VOWS. These are different from the regular tithes and offerings.
If he claims none of these went to the building of the University then that means he built it from his own capital and that makes it his university and not the church's own.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by dridowu: 12:25pm On Dec 12, 2012
Only GOD can save us from all SELF CLAIM MAN OF GOD ( PASTORS AND ALFAS ).
Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by sunnshyn(f): 12:26pm On Dec 12, 2012
OP shut up already!

That's what Bishop Oyedepo said and so be it! I'm sure you didn't even contribute a dime to his ministry, but here you are crying more than the bereaved! Maybe we should wait for a genuine member or accountant of LFC to counter such claims with proofs until then please quit poisoning the mind of people with your false claims and let God eventually be the judge!

Enough said...

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 12, 2012
sunnshyn: OP shut up already!

That's what Bishop Oyedepo said and so be it!
And I say I am God. So be it.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 12, 2012
k2039: Op, your claims are laughable, you trying to defend and justify his statement.

You dont need to really stress your brain and imagination, you only need to interview people going to that church and you will certainly get your facts.

All you wrote are just hypothesis that will never become a law, because theyy are false.
he was being objective. Common sense is not common to common people.
Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 12, 2012
Na wa o sisi_kill, u wan kee pesin with laugh ni?

@OP,no be Oyedepo? Abeg leave story o.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by kemoolala: 12:35pm On Dec 12, 2012
sunnshyn: OP shut up already!

That's what Bishop Oyedepo said and so be it! I'm sure you didn't even contribute a dime to his ministry, but here you are crying more than the bereaved! Maybe we should wait for a genuine member or accountant of LFC to counter such claims with proofs until then please quit poisoning the mind of people with your false claims and let God eventually be the judge!

Enough said...

infact i tire for all dis jobless pple on nairaland about Oyedepo, why not go and establish ur own church if u think the man of God is not called really and lets see where u end ur own! useless set of pple! they do not even have any other thing to discuss again on nairaland, today bishop oyedepo tomorrow pastor EA Adeboye, why all dis critisicm sef against all these men of God?

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by Gabrielsylar(m): 12:39pm On Dec 12, 2012
[size=24pt]Abeg make una allow bishop rest joor. [/size]
Re: Oyedepo's Claim That Covenant University Wasnt Built With Tithes - My Thoughts by AdoOloro(m): 12:45pm On Dec 12, 2012
Praise God!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Experience With Fasting / Pastor Nnamdi Akujor Predicts Man's First Class Result Before His Graduation / Are Jehovah's Witnesses Afraid Of Hell/Lake Of Fire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.