Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,388 members, 7,781,116 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:12 AM

Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? (14576 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Urgent advice needed; Which Course Should I Do BOSIET OR IWCF? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Alaafialoro(m): 6:27pm On Dec 19, 2012
Messilo: go back to ss1 and change to science. after secondary school read medicine in order to secure job with good pay easily bye
Obviously,you are one of the kids roaming NL. NL needs to be verifying WAEC result(or any equivalent result) before registration.
@op... My kid can study anything as long he/she is passionate about it. I won‘t even object skipping college/university as long as I know it‘s not as a result of irresponsiblity.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Allurefunky(f): 6:33pm On Dec 19, 2012
What about fine & applied arts, no one mentioned it.

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by kalufelix(m): 6:34pm On Dec 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Yes, really.
It's their life to live, not mine. I am already living mine.
So long as I am able to teach them how to be responsible and make something of their lives. How they go about it is going to be entirely up to them.
oh how i love this...this is wat ah blive in
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by realsammie(m): 6:37pm On Dec 19, 2012
Islamic studies and aboki language... I swear i will poison his food. cool

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by elrony(m): 6:47pm On Dec 19, 2012
Omosivie,:
I can never let my child study CRK, music, phillosphy or anything under d faculty of education!!!
Lol action mama...anywaiz i aint gona be holdin back ma kidz frm doin wah they deem fit, so long they turn out responsible...anywaiz lemme wait till they come sef lol
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Liverpoolfc(m): 6:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
In Nigeria, i will not advice anybody not to talk of my child to study Basic Medical Science Courses except he/she want to be a lectural
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by gendebs(m): 6:55pm On Dec 19, 2012
Agric, Medicine, Engineering, Law are the only courses i'll recomend to my children. Any course aside this four is a no go area. This are courses one can easily start up a career with little capital, one can also make extra cash for himself while still working for someone

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Iaz93: 6:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
realsammie: Islamic studies and aboki language... I swear i will poison his food. cool
Lmao!
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Liverpoolfc(m): 6:57pm On Dec 19, 2012
realsammie: Islamic studies and aboki language... I swear i will poison his food. cool
still laughing.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Iaz93: 6:59pm On Dec 19, 2012
KiksAsso:

Definitely it is good to allow our kids choose their courses but my point is this, the kind of course that when choosen, u will wish deep within u for a change.
Philosophy ..
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
You guys are arguing about what is right 4 our kids to study in Nigeria not considering the fact that universities in Nigeria always give people courses they didn't apply for. Is it right to remain at home and keep fighting to get admission into Medicine or Law when its almost an illusion considering the way admission into such courses are competitive and highly influenced by the upper class in our society. I will like to conclude by saying that no profession is an assurance of success rather success is dependent on the individual

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by chessguru1(m): 7:15pm On Dec 19, 2012
Don't ave a son. But my younger bro wants 2 b a chopper pilot (aviator)... I think I successfully used dis azizi mishap 2 scare d living shi*t outter him.
J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ asked nd I heard he filled somtin on computer in his jamb form
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Dec 19, 2012
I won't support anything but what he knows how to do best.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Cwhyte(m): 7:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
Wallie:

A child of mine that refuses to go to college will get written off and ignored. That’s how strongly I believe in education.

mark zuckerburg
bill gates
Steve jobs

this guys didnt finish school and yet very successful at what they do.

allow your child to decide his future after the basic education
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by chexyincx(m): 7:36pm On Dec 19, 2012
Who cares, as long as s/he is talented and creative, I will support them all the way.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by sundaybam(m): 7:46pm On Dec 19, 2012
I can't discourage my kid on any course. instead I will keep on praying for them to prosper in any course they choose.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by V3dash(m): 7:49pm On Dec 19, 2012
mine is banking & finance.. Cos presently, der is no more good position to earn good money in most of the bank now... Mostly all d bank collect contract staff in other to pay lower amount as salary.. No any allowance attache..

D only post u can earn good money start from permanent staff, even though is d lowest staff..

Dey use d contract staff as if dey collect huge amount... D full staff receive d money dat can pay 7 of d contract staff at once..

And d risk is high.. But u bear all it alone...
Paying of shortage u know not of..
Fraud cheque
acct owner denyin of withdrawin.. Since der is no proof..
Paying customer wen no network.. Y costumer go and re-withdraw behinde
all is paying of shortages
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Cool83(m): 7:51pm On Dec 19, 2012
Omosivie,:
I can never let my child study CRK, music, phillosphy or anything under d faculty of education!!!
who taught you in school? We can never have quality education in this country,if we still have this attitude toward education.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by runskid(m): 7:52pm On Dec 19, 2012
i prefer medical or vocational courses like home economics, agric, u can be self employed and make gud money
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Freezle(m): 8:03pm On Dec 19, 2012
What a nice topic to stomp on, To me I don't think I would discourage my child on any course, If he or she like french self then he/she should go ahead.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by maxibrainz: 8:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
gendebs: Agric, Medicine, Engineering, Law are the only courses i'll recomend to my children. Any course aside this four is a no go area. This are courses one can easily start up a career with little capital, one can also make extra cash for himself while still working for someone
As for Agric you can send your child to the village to farm or rear chickens, as for medicine did u say it require little start up capital or you want your child to turn your house into a quack hospital, Law did u say little start up capital for law hmm chicken lawyers

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by fellowben(m): 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2012
Fredrick909: Please Great Scholars help me i have a problem. I need your advice...
In my Wassce Result. i had the following grades. English Language C, Economics C, Government C, Commerce B, Agric Sci. C, Biology C then Maths i had D7....and i wanted to study either Accountancy or Bank/fin or BizAdmin. But since i didnt make my maths. I decided to switch courses to either public Administration or Political science coz i heard these courses dont need maths. ... now i heard if i am given admission with this result in my final year i will be asked to go back to 100L that my result is not complete. Please is this really true

Candid advice! do go and re-write your SSCE or GCE ensure you make your maths give it all your best, you could also improve in the other subjects. go for the Accountancy of your choice, losing a year is no big deal, you'll understand after you graduate and in the labour market. it's not who graduated first that makes it first in life, at a point it will not matter anymore. avoid the temptation of reading just any course.
I've been there and worn the shirt! after my secondary school, I couldn't bear not gaining admision imediately so I put in for Pub Admin/Pol Science so I would avoid maths. did some arts courses. God mercifully did not grant me the admision even when I tried the second time. at the third trial I angrily put in for Accountancy and got it. I added ICAN and ACIT to it. and today I am very well, mind you, many folks who rushed in to read some irrelevant courses and graduated quite early are very much in the labour market. to God be the glory, I've never really searched for jobs, as I make my pick and choice. be wise. write your GCE again.

2 Likes

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Wallie(m): 8:21pm On Dec 19, 2012
C. whyte:

mark zuckerburg
bill gates
Steve jobs

this guys didnt finish school and yet very successful at what they do.

allow your child to decide his future after the basic education

Zuckerburg dropped out of Harvard while studying computer science.
Bill gates dropped out of Harvard but didn't have a definite plan. However, he spent a lot of time on computers even developing an algorithm.
Steve Jobs dropped out of college but was a tinkerer.

Almost every single college drop out that made billions without the govt was technically an "engineer". Why don't you show me an example of a self-made no-government-intervention college drop out billionaire?
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by AjanleKoko: 8:29pm On Dec 19, 2012
Wallie:

Bill gates dropped out of Harvard but didn't have a definite plan. However, he spent a lot of time on computers even developing an algorithm.

Almost every single college drop out that made billions without the govt was technically an "engineer". Why don't you show me an example of a self-made no-government-intervention college drop out billionaire?

Seems like most people want their kids to be rich undecided
A bit ironic, considering that we also want to be rich. I'm just wondering, since the likes of Gates and Zuckerberg are already really rich, would they need to lean on their kids, push them in any particular direction?
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 19, 2012
Wallie:

come to eastern 9ja. Lets start with Orji Uzor bfr he re-entered sch n joined politics.

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by indoorlove(m): 8:39pm On Dec 19, 2012
Inasmuch as i will like to support my children to make their choices, i ll still find it difficult to accept the following: library and information sciences, social study, music, etc

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by djeezy(m): 9:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
A lawyer is not paid to know the truth. A lawyer is paid to defend his client(s). This is done through conciliation, findings of fact and findings of law. Both counsels canvasses the law vis-à-vis the case at hand and this is done before an impartial arbiter who is the Judge who presides over the case. I'm a lawyer and I see nothing wrong in the profession. @topic, any course I don't want my kids to study, I'll give them my reasons why I don't want them to study it and if they are still obstinate and recalcitrant as to that effect, then I'll let them study whatever they wish forthwith and let them exercise their volition. There's a misconception I'll love to address, it is forsooth as a result of sheer ignorance, NOT all lawyers are LIARS, we have true christian lawyers.. saying that all lawyers lie will amount to a fallacious statement.
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Wallie(m): 9:05pm On Dec 19, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Seems like most people want their kids to be rich undecided
A bit ironic, considering that we also want to be rich. I'm just wondering, since the likes of Gates and Zuckerberg are already really rich, would they need to lean on their kids, push them in any particular direction?

I want my kid to be comfortable and to be able to stand toe-to-toe with anybody. Have you ever been in the midst of old friends and the conversation gets weird when career/achievements got brought up? I've seen it happen to people and it’s not a pretty sight. I actually refuse to talk about certain things with some of my friends because it would seem like I’m bragging or trying to show off.

Most super rich people actually try to instill hard work into their kids. Bill Gates is on record that each of his kids will only inherit about $10 million from him. He said "he'll pay for education and health issues, but his children are expected to find careers and support themselves while making a contribution to society."

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/financing/wealth/what-will-gates-children-inherit/#ixzz2FWuzDTyk

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by danikik7: 9:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
Its all about talent and intrest;most illitrate parents cant identify instinctivey their chidren creative talents,genius are born not made and most whites know or

discover on time and guide their kids intelligently to it
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Wallie(m): 9:14pm On Dec 19, 2012
ngozievergreen:
come to eastern 9ja. Lets start with Orji Uzor bfr he re-entered sch n joined politics.

I surely have no doubt that such people do exist but they're few and far between; however, I can't speak to Kalu's wealth in particular. I think I read an article awhile ago that said he got his start from commodities just like Dangote?
Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by NoQualms1(f): 9:42pm On Dec 19, 2012
chess guru: Don't ave a son. But my younger bro wants 2 b a chopper pilot (aviator)... I think I successfully used dis azizi mishap 2 scare d living shi*t outter him.
J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ asked nd I heard he filled somtin on computer in his jamb form

That's unfair. You should have allowed the young man go for his choice.

1 Like

Re: Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying? by Buchianom(m): 10:07pm On Dec 19, 2012
Law.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FAAN Reverses Reduction In Staff Salary For May / Opinion-#osunpaytheworkers... OsunWorkers Are Suffering! / Career Change: Is It Wise To Change My Career Path At This Stage????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.