Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,926 members, 7,803,007 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:15 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? (13375 Views)

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. / The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion / Top Ten Indications That You’re Over-obsessed With Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by cold(m): 1:13am On Dec 13, 2012
I have often wondered if Karl Marx had a vision of present day Nigeria when he postulated that religion is the opium of the masses
Seriously,Nigeria is probably the most religious nation on earth. Every nook and cranny is dotted with spires,domes and turrets. Churches and Mosques undulate to calls to prayer and evangelical music.A pilgrimage to Mecca or Jerusalem is a badge of religious devotion sought after with great zeal alongside the much needed appellations like Bishop,Pastor,Alhaji,Deacon etc.
Today in Nigeria being born again is now socially acceptable and even politically correct in certain quarters.as a matter of fact,there are more churches and mosques in Nigeria today than industries and schools put together (disprove me if you dare)

One would expect with this spread of churches,mosques and prayer houses that there should be an accompanying growth in morals in the society but alas this is not the case.The religious boom has been paralleled by a growth of a far less desirable kind.A decline in moral values creating an intriguing spectacle of more religion and less morality.Take Nigeria's abysmal rating on the global corruption index or the uncontrollable levels of insecurity for instance and paradoxically compare it with its rating as the most religious nation on earth.There is a profound dissonance between the spread of religion and the moral decline that has promoted corruption from a malaise confined to the epochal heights of governance to a full blown social plague.For all the religious fervour in the nation,faith has little or no social expression

But why is this important at all?Like Nairalanders are wont to ask.
In truth,religion has become Nigeria's greatest problem.A religious movement can develop a narcissistic obsession with its own mythology.Its adherents can become blinded by a creed of materialistic self involvement to the problems of a society which they are meant to heal.Religion as we have come to know it today,for the most part,has become an impediment to culture change.Its ways and its means have become obsolete.
At the risk of sounding off,let me pause here but not before I state that the Nigerian religious establishment is ripe for a reformation as is the society as a whole. The much touted recovery envisaged in the political and economic spheres cannot be attained without a recovery of values.A reform of existing religious strains could be the much needed springboard for a mass mobilisation of civil society to protest the many ills plaguing our society

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 1:23am On Dec 13, 2012
Are you new to the religion section?

cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by cold(m): 2:02am On Dec 13, 2012
I see your point but i had to get this off my chest
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 2:05am On Dec 13, 2012
cold: I see your point but i had to get this off my chest

I agree with your write up but this issue has been addressed many times on this section.
https://www.nairaland.com/1091996/atheists-more-moral-than-christians
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by cold(m): 2:31am On Dec 13, 2012
Logicboy03:

I agree with your write up but this issue has been addressed many times on this section.
https://www.nairaland.com/1091996/atheists-more-moral-than-christians
I know right. One just has to continually bring this issue to the fore. Because there are certain things i see or read and can't simply believe it was said by a sane human
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 2:41am On Dec 13, 2012
cold:
I know right. One just has to continually bring this issue to the fore. Because there are certain things i see or read and can't simply believe it was said by a sane human

Welcome to the suffering of the unbeliever. I have been arguing here for almost a year now. The nonsense I have seen could send some rational people to the hospital.

The mental gymnastics done just to shield religion from the scrutiny of logical inquiry is quite appalling from religious peeps here.

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by AtheistD(m): 8:35am On Dec 13, 2012
cold:

I believe that some of those ppl arguing are somewhat mentally unbalanced.

I think there is a rise in the number of schizos and mentally unbalanced ppl im Nigeria.

All due to the churches that preach generational curses, prophets with visions etc.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by advocate666: 2:31pm On Dec 13, 2012
It is poverty and illiteracy combined my brother.

Europe went through it a few centuries ago. We are going through it now. But even this cup will come to pass. Thanks to the internet, religion is dying.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by bittyend(m): 8:46am On Dec 18, 2012
Small brains having Africans, the white man is your God. Worship him and kill one another over him, o ye savages. See you in church on sunday.

Pictures don't lie, check out the picstory below

[img]http://us.altermedia.info/images/races_skulls.jpg[/img]
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by GeneralGaricks: 8:50am On Dec 18, 2012
.bump. cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Wendyslim(f): 8:50am On Dec 18, 2012
Hmmmm the holy books Now have diff meanings. May GOD help us with the fake prophets dat are all over the place cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:51am On Dec 18, 2012
..[b]@ OP THE BIBLE EXPLAINS IT WELL IN THE BOOK OF PROVERBS 22:6 Train up a child in the way he shoud grow, and when he is old, he will never depart from it. What you are seeing is the result of upbringing. Its easier to train a child than to repair an Adult

Religion to Nigerians is not so much abouts its content, but about an identity. A girl who spent all Saturday night in the club or even having sex with her boyfriend/aristo will wake up by 7am, have her bath, dress up and she is in church. That Muslim chap that hides his alcohol inside his prayer kettle would do his Abulution and head for the Mosque on friday. Its now a part of what they do. It has no real meaning to them. Thats why a convicted felon would go straight from the prisons to a church for thanksgiving.

Immorality is very high in Nigeria right now, corruption, crime and all sorts of vices.. Yet every Sunday, the churches are filled to capacity.

To the Rich/upper middle-class Nigerians, Church is nothing but a social gathering where they can come into contact with the poor and subconciously oppress them. Thats why its easier for a rich man to see the pastor than it is for a Poor Church Usher to even enter the Pastors office, let alone see him. They dont pray as hard as the poor, they come late and leave early, they get choice seats in church, they get special invites to every occasion and the pastor always answers their calls personally. This classonly attend church on SUNDAYS!!

To the lower-middle class/independent enterprenuers, Church is nothing but another avenue to meet potential clients. These ones get access to the pastors, but not as easily as the rich folks. They can get a Pastor to pray for them, but cant get a pastor to come to their houses. This class would attend Church on Sundays abd are always at house-fellowships (as this is where they c=get to interact with the rich).

The Poor, To them, Church represents hope. This class are the most dedicated members of the church. they sweep the church, they make up over 75% of the churches workers, they are very loyal to the pastors, they pray the hardest, loudest and longest. They are the first to arrive in church and the last to leave. To them, they really do believe that if you pray hard enough, manna will fall from the skies. They are the most committed. This class can never see the pastor at will. Infact, they will be lucky if they can get the pastors number let alone speak to him one on one. They come to church every sunday hoping for a miracle. They dress their best but always come short. They eat at the feet of the rich & upper middle class who use them as they like.

The Politicians need religion for control. They use it for election purposes and to keep the masses under control. A christian wouldnt kill a Politician that is stealing him blind because of religion. And he is so shackled bythe religion that he cant even fight the system, so he prays to God for a solution to a problem that is within his control.

Religion is not important to Nigerians, its now a habit.

Sadly, we have chosen foreign gods like the Jewish god and the Persian god. Abandoning our local gods. If we still actively worshipped Amadioha, by now, someone would have dragged their governor before Amadioha and made him swear with his life if he stole our money during his tenure or not.. By now, a Yoruba man would have dragged his council man before Sango to swear if that fake road was truly tarred with 15 billion Naira. INFACT, ALL OATHS OF OFFICES WOULD BE TAKEN IN FRONT OF AN ORACLE.. Maybe, just maybe, things would not have been this bad. [/b]

47 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by sylve11: 8:56am On Dec 18, 2012
@ op, I feel u. cool
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Revolva(m): 8:58am On Dec 18, 2012
I also keep asking myself Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? Always ...the question sef don tire me
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by mysticgal(f): 8:59am On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03: Are you new to the religion section?
the reason he speaks like that he's ignorant,period:/

cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by AtheistD(m): 9:00am On Dec 18, 2012
cold: I have often wondered if Karl Marx had a vision of present day Nigeria when he postulated that religion is the opium of the masses
Seriously,Nigeria is probably the most religious nation on earth. Every nook and cranny is dotted with spires,domes and turrets. Churches and Mosques undulate to calls to prayer and evangelical music.A pilgrimage to Mecca or Jerusalem is a badge of religious devotion sought after with great zeal alongside the much needed appellations like Bishop,Pastor,Alhaji,Deacon etc.
Today in Nigeria being born again is now socially acceptable and even politically correct in certain quarters.as a matter of fact,there are more churches and mosques in Nigeria today than industries and schools put together (disprove me if you dare)

One would expect with this spread of churches,mosques and prayer houses that there should be an accompanying growth in morals in the society but alas this is not the case.The religious boom has been paralleled by a growth of a far less desirable kind.A decline in moral values creating an intriguing spectacle of more religion and less morality.Take Nigeria's abysmal rating on the global corruption index or the uncontrollable levels of insecurity for instance and paradoxically compare it with its rating as the most religious nation on earth.There is a profound dissonance between the spread of religion and the moral decline that has promoted corruption from a malaise confined to the epochal heights of governance to a full blown social plague.For all the religious fervour in the nation,faith has little or no social expression

In truth,religion has become Nigeria's greatest problem.A religious movement can develop a narcissistic obsession with its own mythology.Its adherents can become blinded by a creed of materialistic self involvement to the problems of a society which they are meant to heal.Religion as we have come to know it today,for the most part,has become an impediment to culture change.Its ways and its means have become obsolete.
At the risk of sounding off,let me pause here but not before I state that the Nigerian religious establishment is ripe for a reformation as is the society as a whole. The much touted recovery envisaged in the political and economic spheres cannot be attained without a recovery of values.A reform of existing religious strains could be the much needed springboard for a mass mobilisation of civil society to protest the many ills plaguing our society

While that is true, the politicians are smart enough to cosy up to the religious leaders in order to guarantee that there will be little opposition from that quarter. Our salvation will have to come from somewhere else unfortunately.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Bearshare(m): 9:02am On Dec 18, 2012
Humans are by design religious. What is religion? A set of belief.

To a christian, he believes there is God that controls existence

To a muslim, he believes there is a God he knows better than the Christian

To the Atheist, he believes there is no God.

We all believe on something, that makes us all religious

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 18, 2012
You so right,am not tribalistic or anything,but the yorubas are the winners in this,the skul I attend, OAU is crazy,church,church,church. Am sure there exist more than 300 fellowships on the campus. If you go to the halls of residence in the nite and even in the day,you see people kabashing. You see a fellowship of about 30 members,posters everywhere,the social life sucks,only those off campus might hve a steady social life,once you start going to parties,everyone terms you evil or so. Wait!the skul is not that bad ooo! Its fun ooo,especially when you know the right crowd,you will forever enjoy your stay. Anyway where I stay we go to church but we not that crazy tho,is this info important or wat undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by critic(m): 9:08am On Dec 18, 2012
advocate666: It is poverty and illiteracy combined my brother.

Europe went through it a few centuries ago. We are going through it now. But even this cup will come to pass. Thanks to the internet, religion is dying.

you really made sense here... hmmmm.. food for thought!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by AtheistD(m): 9:09am On Dec 18, 2012
Bearshare: Humans are by design religious. What is religion? A set of belief.

To a christian, he believes there is God that controls existence

To a muslim, he believes there is a God he knows better than the Christian

To the Atheist, he believes there is no God.

We all believe on something, that makes us all religious

No it doesnt grin. It doesnt make us all religious. Not all athesists are religious.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Xeroz: 9:09am On Dec 18, 2012
Atheist:-D:

I believe that some of those ppl arguing are somewhat mentally unbalanced.

I think there is a rise in the number of schizos and mentally unbalanced ppl im Nigeria.

All due to the churches that preach generational curses, prophets with visions etc.
Are you saying there are no generational curses or saying visions are fake?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by AtheistD(m): 9:11am On Dec 18, 2012
Xeroz: Are you saying there are no generational curses or saying visions are fake?

Both wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Ogafid: 9:16am On Dec 18, 2012
cold: I have often wondered if Karl Marx had a vision of present day Nigeria when he postulated that religion is the opium of the masses

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:17am On Dec 18, 2012
It does appear we are going through the same problems the Europeans went through a few centuries ago. My fear is that Nigeria will remain backwards for a long long time.

To the sane minds who are trying to enlighthen our religious brethrens,i believe we all time travelled back in time from the future to educate this miserable generation. It is a difficult task,but can be acheived with time.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by rodeo0070(m): 9:20am On Dec 18, 2012
Jasmine Jetz: You so right,am not tribalistic or anything,but the yorubas are the winners in this,the skul I attend, OAU is crazy,church,church,church. Am sure there exist more than 300 fellowships on the campus. If you go to the halls of residence in the nite and even in the day,you see people kabashing. You see a fellowship of about 30 members,posters everywhere,the social life sucks,only those off campus might hve a steady social life,once you start going to parties,everyone terms you evil or so. Wait!the skul is not that bad ooo! Its fun ooo,especially when you know the right crowd,you will forever enjoy your stay. Anyway where I stay we go to church but we not that crazy tho,is this info important or wat undecided
You are right. OAU, I think is the University with highest number of churches on campus.
Poverty and Ignorance...
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by stephenponti(m): 9:20am On Dec 18, 2012
It's quite disheartening how Nigerians/Africans are engrossed with religion yet they are not truthful to each other.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by AjanleKoko: 9:21am On Dec 18, 2012
Bollocks.
If you, OP, don't like religion, why not free people who do? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:25am On Dec 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: Bollocks.

Did he hold your hand and stop you from being religious or do you love playing the victim?

8 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 18, 2012
Very religious, very prayerful

Yet scared of ember months
Scared of blood sucking demons
Scared of god's wrath
Scared of judgement day
Scared of men of God..

Scared, scared, scared...

We'd rather be docile, rather remain slaves than take risks....

Smh....

Even Indians that are religious are not as dumb as us...
Let's keep building churches and mosques... That's what our children will inherit..

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: Bollocks.

because religion is a cage. You are being programmed to think in a certain way and not for yourself. You need to learn to fly with freedom like a bird.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by tunapawizzy: 9:28am On Dec 18, 2012
Because our men-of-God ( both imams n pastors) are effective marketers
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by nollywood20: 9:28am On Dec 18, 2012
Nigerians are not obsessed with religion.
They are only obsessed with HYPOCRISY AND LIVING IN DENIAL OF THE TRUTH.

Majority of those claiming to be "Christians" are just mere church goers who have no conscience or fear of God, otherwise they would not be so envious, jealous, evil, greedy, dishonest and wicked in their daily lifestyles.
And the so called Muslims are as hypocritical as the so called "Christians".
And among them are majority of the members on Nairaland, including the Administrator and fake moderators.

You see a member preaching on Facebook and Twitter, but is an evil liar and shameless trollop.

Only fools can be fooled by these fake religious legions of hypocrites and parasites in Nigeria.
But they can never fool God.

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.
16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?
17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.
19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
~ Messiah Jesus Christ in Matthew 7:15-20, Holy Bible (NIV).

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FROM FAITH TO Facts:collection Of My Thoughts, Experience & Sojourn In Religion / "What Is The Origin Of The Catholic Church?" / Is Jesus Real Or A Myth? A Challenge For Maxindhouse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.