Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,689 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:39 PM

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes (208047 Views)

Poll: Tithe-paying is

An old-testament law: 55% (74 votes)
A new-testament requirement too: 44% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Apostle Paul Had To Say About Tithes And Other Heretic Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 2:58pm On Feb 29, 2008
To all my people that have been following this string, i am sorry i had to chane the topic while retaining the contents of the topic so it expresses the article in it's true perspective. Also it would give other readers the opportunity of knowing the truth. Happy reading!!!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by joshjosh(m): 3:02pm On Feb 29, 2008
I am not seeking advice on this topic, i am actually sharing biblical truths with my fellow christian which certain pastors have found very convinient to hide. If you are in any doubt as to my position go and read all my posts on the subject, in fact at the risk of being accused of being arrogant, i can say i am a sort of authority on the subject because i have researched the topic extensively.

mmmmmmmm i don't know what to say but seeing you said you are not arrogant i am going to ask a question i always ask brilliant "God showed me so i can't be thought minds" like yours.

[size=8pt]how do you think churches should be funded[/size]?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 4:22pm On Feb 29, 2008
Churches should be funded by free will offerings.
There are no mandates for tithing,we are not uinder the law.
Enigma:

All the above shows is the foolishness of "tithing" and the legalism that it brings back when Christ had done away with legalism.

Food for thought:

1. Did Jesus ever tithe? Probably did not tithe because there was no need; He was a carpenter; carpenters were not required to tithe. Only if he had been a farmer or herdsman was he required to tithe.

2. In the old testament if you were a herdsman who had 9 cattle, were you required to tithe? Answer NO -- because it was specifically the tenth cattle that was supposed to be tithed.

Read your Bible and understand it rather than relying on paganistic superstition masquerading as a "christian doctrine of tithing"!

Tithes are just a way for some pastors to scare their congregants.
God is not cursing anyone,people should not live in fear.
Give what you have and can afford,if it's 10% good,if 2% good,if 20% good too.
Give as you've been blessed.
God loves a cheerful giver.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by TheSly: 4:30pm On Feb 29, 2008
Stingy people. . . .

When u go to the church to worship . . u would see electricity, many workers, clean environment and all
have u ever thought about how those church instruments are maintained and how their workers are paid?

U can eat everything that u r earning ok? wink
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Lady2(f): 6:37am On Mar 01, 2008
@ KunleOshob

Trust me I agree that no one should be coerced to paying tithe just as no one should be coerced into christianity. Am also not out to find any flaws in u so please don't go that route with me because u have no idea my level of education on tithing and I don't care to go showing off my knowledge.
But please don't ridicule the church. I don't agree with the tactics used by many pastors today, I do see what your saying in the church and it's a shame, but only God can deliver us from the hands of thieves. With that being said, i do beg to differ in your interpretations of the Bible. Just my two kobo. but carry on

I do admire u giving to the needy, I definitely encourage that too, but also keep in mind that God's place must also be kept up.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 10:04am On Mar 01, 2008
Will God kill you or watch you die if you dont "pay" your 1/10 to your Pastor?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 10:08am On Mar 01, 2008
God, i keep on asking, what has the Church really done,really done for those in the streets, for example the lepers along the warri-benin route and a couple of deranged homeless peeps if the Governemnt doesnt care
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 1:48am On Mar 02, 2008
and in the latter days shall much wisdom be increased among men, but who is wise that the may search out the mind of God.
think i will refer you pips to spiritlessoncom .to read the live experience of 7 columbian youths that had an encounter in hell.it will shock you to know that tithe defaulting was a reason for being hell bound
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Enigma(m): 8:39pm On Mar 02, 2008
olrotimi:

and in the latter days shall much wisdom be increased among men, but who is wise that the may search out the mind of God.
think i will refer you pips to spiritlessoncom .to read the live experience of 7 columbian youths that had an encounter in hell.it will shock you to know that tithe defaulting was a reason for being hell bound

Honestly, if you know the Bible well, you won't believe these kinds of things; more importantly, you won't be ruled by fear: "God has not given us a spirit of fear , "
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by MCUsman(m): 10:34am On Mar 03, 2008
MONEY
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Horus(m): 10:46am On Mar 03, 2008
The[b] tithe scam[/b] has given rise to the proliferation of Churches today and most appalling of all is that the proliferation of Churches has in turn given rise to "Social Crimes" in the name of God. Example of this could be seen in the manner Christians are converting Christians from other Churches to boost the number of tithe payers in their own Church.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by dafidixone(m): 11:42am On Mar 03, 2008
Will God kill you or watch you die if you don't "pay" your 1/10 to your Pastor?

God will not rebuke devourer for you. You may not make heaven because you are a robber ib the view of God.
smiley
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Enigma(m): 12:02pm On Mar 03, 2008
It is biblically ignorant to link payment or non-payment of "tithes" to salvation - utterly pathetic.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 4:47pm On Mar 03, 2008
@ Pastor dadifixone
Haba pastor, how long are you going to continue preaching this scam despite all the biblical evidence against it? Go and read Malachi 2 : 1 - 8 it is very evident there that it was the levite priests that were being accused of robbing God and leading the people astray just as pastors like you are doing today.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 4:56pm On Mar 03, 2008
@all the other "priests" reading this post
Passage Malachi 2:1-8:

Malachi 2
Admonition for the Priests
    1 "And now this admonition is for you, O priests. 2 If you do not listen, and if you do not set your heart to honor my name," says the LORD Almighty, "I will send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not set your heart to honor me.

3 "Because of you I will rebuke [a] your descendants I will spread on your faces the offal from your festival sacrifices, and you will be carried off with it. 4 And you will know that I have sent you this admonition so that my covenant with Levi may continue," says the LORD Almighty. 5 "My covenant was with him, a covenant of life and peace, and I gave them to him; this called for reverence and he revered me and stood in awe of my name. 6 True instruction was in his mouth and nothing false was found on his lips. He walked with me in peace and uprightness, and turned many from sin.
    7 "For the lips of a priest ought to preserve knowledge, and from his mouth men should seek instruction—because he is the messenger of the LORD Almighty. 8 But you have turned from the way and by your teaching have caused many to stumble; [b]you have violated the covenant with Levi," says the LORD Almighty.[/b]   

I hope all our pastors are reading, if you are guilty of the above please turn back to God Today. the above passage was also written by Malachi whom you love to misquote so much. Even in the time of Malachi the bible says that the priest were already violating the covenant of the tithe, and those were people ordained to collect it in form of produce of the land. you can imagine how God would feel about pastors who are not descendants of levi and have no mandate to collect it and are now collecting it in an abused from of money.
PS: those who rob God that malachi was talking about in malachi 3 : 10 were the levites and not the people of israel if you are in doubt read Numbers 18 25 - 28
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 5:04pm On Mar 03, 2008
@to all others who are interested in sharing the truth about tithes
I am pleased to inform you all that this article "the truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes as been published in the current edition of THE NEWS magazine. you may wish to buy it and share the truth with fellow christians who are being fleeced of their hard earned income. How ever please remember that christ encouraged us to give freely out of the goodness of our hearts to the poor, needy and the church. We also have a resposibility as christians to support the church in what ever capacity we can financially and otherwise. so we should not use this excuse that we are not expected to tithe not to contribute to God's work. May we all remain steadfast in Christian faith. Amen
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by detruth: 8:14pm On Mar 03, 2008
@ Poster
I heard you mention "truth", I believe that must be a mistake! Your location is millions of mile far from truth. I am not surprise when I see people who simply choose to be confusionist? Surely a sinking man will always hold on to anything/anybody to sink with him.
The just is meant to live by his faith. If you see it that way, fine! Why try to make others believe your concocted fables by force? Why not stop being like that "thing" that spoke to Eve in the garden of Eden that what God said is not true!
If you think Jesus never support tithing, please shine your eyes at these scriptures, and try all you again to confuse us again:

Matt 23:23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. (KJV)
Luke 11:42
But woe unto you Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and every herb, and pass over justice and the love of God: but these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone (American Standard Version)
Luke 11:42
"But woe to you Pharisees! For though you are careful to tithe even the smallest part of your income, you completely forget about justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave these other things undone. (The Living Bible)

In conclution Jesus said in Mark 13:37
And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch! (KJV) Let all readers watch what they read from different "minds". Not all men are from God! There are many wolves in sheep's clothings.

Mr Poster! if you are not a tither you under a serious curse unknowingly. There is this thing about a curse, things may be fine now, but be careful!
Trees that will last generations doesn't grow up quickly like corn
To hell with the "NEWS" magazine, even witches and wizards use it to advertise their products.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Femi13: 9:24am On Mar 04, 2008
It's no longer new we interpret our bibles in our own way and though you made some brilliant comments, your article may be seen as a way to justify your decision not to pay tithe. Cant really begin to comment on al issues raised but my question to you is this. If we say tithin was directed to the isrealite/ levites as at that time, does it mean the teachings of Jesus was also directed to those he was addressin as at that time?
========================================================================

Pls go to this verse in the bible where you will see those whom jesus was sent to.matthew 15:24, a cross refrence jesus told the diciples not to go preach beyond isreal.matthew 10:5-6.
So therefor jesus was not sent to you,but to only lost sheep of isrealites.

Can someone show me please where God or Jesus said we should pay tithe every month in the new testerment because the old testamernt says we should it once in every third year and God did not command us to give it to the pastors, he (said) said give it to the ophans,foreigners and widows. Deuteronomy 14:28

Na waooooo that is why pastors got nice cars,houses, etc while you poor will still be giving them the little you suppose to use sustain yourself and your family, Make una wise up oooooooooooooo.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by simmy(m): 11:22am On Mar 04, 2008
first of all its practical t o pay ur tithes to ur church and pastor, u shldnt be attending his church if u cant trust him with ur moni, running a chuirch costs moni.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Femi13: 6:33pm On Mar 04, 2008
first of all its practical t o pay your tithes to your church and pastor, u shldnt be attending his church if u can't trust him with your moni, running a chuirch costs moni.

============================================================
Hey simmy: where was it written in the bible to pay tithe to your pastors, ?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by seguno2: 6:44pm On Mar 04, 2008
simmy:

first of all its practical t o pay your tithes to your church and pastor, u shldnt be attending his church if u can't trust him with your moni, running a chuirch costs moni.

I thought God owns the church
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 11:04am On Mar 06, 2008
Why should a pastor depend on tithes to run his church?? i am sure free will offerings should be able to take care of running a church (at least the basics not the pastor's excesses) and if that is not enough he can appeal to the congregation to offer more. Besides are we not taught to have faith in God in churches and God shall provide our needs? so why can't pastors have fatih in God to provide for the running of the church? why do some of them have to resort to lies, manipulations and deceit which is contrary to the will of God to raise funds to run his church? If a pastor can not have faith in God to provide for the running of the Church while he preaches to the congregation to have faith in God and he has to resort to deceit to extort money from the congregation, he has no moral right to pastor a church.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by simmy(m): 12:36pm On Mar 07, 2008
oga femi
if ure paying your tithes to the church your [pastor runs, arent u paying to your pastor?
and its only fair to pay to the church u attend,  nobody says its a must! but ure consuming from that church and so its fair to bless that church1 since God is a god of fairness it can be assumed that his will is for you to pay tithes to your church

part of the pastors faith in God to provide money to run the church comes into effect when the holy spirit convinces u to pay tithes
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by weebee(f): 4:27pm On Mar 07, 2008
It is a matter of choice. God has given us free will so if you like take any part of the bible that suits you and reject the ones you feel are not meant for you. Some of us quote promises of God from d scripture and believe it will happen in our lives why would you do that since the blessings are not directly yours. Now its time to give just 10 percent of the lot we now realised its not directed to us but to d levites. Na wa o. If you have experienced the reward that comes from it you wont hesitate next time you are asked to pay. Even if its not compulsory we all know dat the only avenue for receiving is through giving why cant you just give and wait for your blessings afterall its not a sin to give.It is well with us and our modern day christianity
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 3:52am On Mar 13, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Kunle,femi1,seguno,horus,mc usman
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 4:06am On Mar 13, 2008
@Kunle@seguno
why do you guys have to come and try to discourage people from doing good.If you're not convinced about paying tithes,then keep that to yourself and seek counsel,instead of treating the tithe payers like they are blasphemers.We have so many people doing vividly wrong things even here on nairaland,why not go show those people some truth instead of drawing people away from their bible based beliefs.The Word says
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
So beware
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 4:59am On Mar 13, 2008
KunleOshob:

@ Pastor dadifixone
Haba pastor, how long are you going to continue preaching this scam despite all the biblical evidence against it? Go and read Malachi 2 : 1 - 8 it is very evident there that it was the levite priests that were being accused of robbing God and leading the people astray just as pastors like you are doing today.
There you go again,Why is it many of us find it easy to claim scriptures like Psalms23 and 91 and keep saying it.Nobody says Paul was refering to the pholippians when they quote Philippians 4v19.But when the carnal flesh sees something it doesn't like then we begin to hear 'thats old testament,he was addressing the women in corinth at that time,he was speaking to levites'etc.I pray you mature spiritually to the level when you understand that every word of God is pure and profitale.
By the way,who told you that the book of Malachi was written to the Levites only.Tell me,did you hear it,did you read it yourself in the bible or some magazine(the news,ovation,tell,citypeople) told you?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 5:15am On Mar 13, 2008
Permit me to help you.In many ways, you are wrong but I 'll show you two.
Firstly;all christians in the Christ Jesus are priests and Christ is our high priest,so God is addressing you directly in Malachi,
1Pet 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:
also see
Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
So my bro priest,pay your tithes.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 7:26am On Mar 13, 2008
Secondly and quite importantly for you.The Jews don't believe that Malachi is written to just one tribe,but to them all.Infact,the book says it is addressed to Isreal.It however gives some specific instructions to Levi,Judah and then the whole house.And each instruction affect us as new testament believers because technically,we are
1.The Isreal of God
2.Priests(seperate unto God with our high priest Jesus leading us)
3.Kings(of the house of Judah with the lion of the tribe leading us)

Lets hear Malachi
Mal 1:1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.
This book is addressed to Isreal,not only Levi.Then chapter 2v1 says somethings to the priests which all of the tribes and all God's children can gain from.v10begins to talk to the people of Judah and then includes the whole nation as the message continues.
Mal 3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.
Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.
There is promise of reward for defaulters watever tribe and he says ye sons,not just levi.Notice the pronouns that follow.The 'we s and ye s'.
Mal 3:9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even[b] this whole nation[/b].
not just levi,the whole nation.The blessings that follow say 'nations shall call you blessed'.Thats talking to the whole nation,not one tribe and it goes on and on tillthe last verse of the book.The promise to send the messenger,thats to not just one tribe.
I pray God will open your eyes and heart and ear.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by bums: 4:00pm On Mar 13, 2008
[b]onetenth of ur income belongs to GOD period![/b]its nt as if GOD is hungry or in need, its simply an avenue to bless u.if u av nt bin payin ur tithe u ar simply stoping GOD 4rm blessing u finacialing.lets stop living lives of convenience as believers.tithing is nt part of the old testament law, it was practiced far before the law was given.see gen 14:20.stop aving the mindset that pastors ar set to defraud u anytime they preach about tithing .whether u believe it or nt we al pay our tithe s one way or the other .its either u ar paying it to GOD or d devil.check out all those unforseen expenses lik medical bills,suddenbreakdown of ur car or electronics,police case,and al sort of accident that wil require spendin of moni etc these ar al the devourers GOD refers to in mal 3:11.stop the arguement ,pay ur tithe and see if there will nt b a difference in ur financeial life shalom!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 4:21pm On Mar 13, 2008
@Pastor image 123
I see you fancy your self as someone who knows the bible well, well the fact still remains that i have been able to establish beyond reasonable doubt biblically that tithing as no place in christianity. i have also been able to establish and prove that tithing as it is being practised today is a gross manipultion of the biblical tithing to suit the purpose of those collecting it. with reference to Malachi what i meant was that the part pertaining to tithes was directed at the Levites and not the people of Israel. Besides we don't have any Levites (descendants of Levi) today in the christian world as some pastors would like us to believe. My friend if you have been following my this thread from the beggining, you would know that i have a very good divine understanding of what tithes is and is not, so stop trying to fool me like you fool others who don't read there bibles well. any body who studies his or her bible well would be able to discern the truth and that is why i quoted all those scriptures to prove my point. On why i am writing this, it is because i am embarassed as a christian that a false doctrine is preached in a lot of churches to day and a lot of faithful christians are being deceived in to parting with ten percent of their income, this deceit is totally against what christianity stands for. And we as christians should always tell the truth even when it is not convient for us as pastors. As i have always said i would continue to encourage and promote free will offerings to the church and the needy as directed by Jesus christ, but un srciptural forceful tithes haba!!!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by KunleOshob(m): 5:07pm On Mar 13, 2008
@Bums
please quote the place in the bible that says that one tenth of your salary or income belongs to God. If you can't please quote the biblical definition of tithes! How does it compare with the mordern day definition?? (stop robbing people in God's name via tithes it is a very grave sin) Also i am yet to see any eveidence that people who tiithe are better blessed or protected from devourers than none tithers. in fact i know loads of faithfull tithers who go through a lot more financial difficulty than those of us who never tithe. The only people who are blessed a thousand fold from tithing are the unscrupoulous pastors that keep it for themselves when they collect it becos they collect from hundreds if not thousounds of people and they would answer to God one day for it. You want to know why you would never be blessed via tithing? go and read Malachi2: 1-8 there you would see that biblical tithes is a covenant between God and the descendants of Levi. note the word covenant, not promise. this was because the levite had a part to play for them to be worthy of collecting tithes( they were not allowed to own any property). I don't know how many so called mordern day levites are keeping this covenant. besides the bible was very clear that only the descendant of Levi could benefit from this tithes. i don't know how our mordern day pastors got to be levi's descendant. Please go and study your bible very well and let no man deceive you. if you need any clarification, pls feel free to ask i would give you some bible passages to go and reflect on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

The Doctrine Of The Ufos / Must Read!!why And How I Became A Satanist / Post Yoruba Christian Hymns Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.