Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes - Religion (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes (208685 Views)

Poll: Tithe-paying is

An old-testament law: 55% (74 votes)
A new-testament requirement too: 44% (60 votes)
This poll has ended

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U / What Apostle Paul Had To Say About Tithes And Other Heretic Teachings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 2:32am On Aug 15, 2018
You keep on talking that tithing ought to be done, but you haven't produce the scripture to back up your theory.
The law on tithing, was the Mosaic law! Which today it doesn't exist, not in Israel..nor does the old tithing law-exist with you, not your Church, in this day and age name any Church that actually tithes Old testament of herbs, stocks crops, and mechanise yearly..
The Pharisees asked Jesus do we pay taxes, Jesus said to them, “give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.
This is simple enough to understand-Render your tax money to the Government, render our flesh back to God..
You claim you are not under the law to tithe-you are deafeningly under Church law every week, they preach tithing, they practice tithing, you sit under them and tithe, practicing tithing the way they teach tithing!
I don't care if you refuse the Word of God-it's your choice, {The Word of God is not against tithing itself' it's against the corruption the Church brings against tithing for financial gain}
And sadly you are in amongst them, joining in their craftiness against the Word of God. Against God's people-preaching the unbiblical doctrines, praying you will become richer, then you already are through the greed you and your Church have.
{1 Timothy 6:3-5} "If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.
I think this say's it all, Churches asking for money each week in tithes, it is this that causes disputes amongst us, and uses godliness for their means to gain.
{This is enough for me, to realise the Church isn't interested what God said: their focus is all about the cash, time and time again more evidence is flying in all direction, the Church is not old news, it continual's its rampage all over the world}
God's people are sick, they are sick of Churches ripping them off, the Church is no-longer a safe haven for the lost sheep, the broken hearted, the poor, the hungry. Sad isn't it?
{Ezekiel 34:1-6} ‘Thus says the Lord God to the shepherds: “Woe to the shepherds of Israel who feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flocks?
They eat the fat and clothe themselves with the wool; they slaughter the fatlings, but they do not feed the flock. The weak they have not strengthened, nor have they healed those who were sick, nor bound up the broken, nor brought back what was driven away, nor sought what was lost; but with force and cruelty they have ruled them. So they were scattered because there was no shepherd; and they became food for all the beasts of the field when they were scattered.
My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and on every high hill; yes, My flock was scattered over the whole face of the earth, and no one was seeking or searching for them.
Even thru Jesus said: withdraw ourselves-obviously He is warning us-and I take this into account the tares among the wheat are plenty, and the Word of God is known to the believers that realise-many are called, but few are chosen..I don't know about you, but I seek the Lord as much as I can, and I believe His Word, well enough to obey His commands, there is no way do I want to believe anything I hear without testing the Word of God..
Image123:

i am not under the law, neither are you. So stop this obsession about the law. The Bible does not in any place talk about or divide tithe into law, it simply calls/qualifies it tithe, both before and during the law. And all your talk about hypocrites makes no sense because many of Jesus important messages were equally addressed to Pharisees and their likes like John 3v16 and Render to God the things that are God's. It will be ignorant if not myopic to think in this way you are attempting to and say it does not apply to all. Jesus never said it ought to be done by hypocrites, He simply stated that it ought to be done.

You have just opined that judgment, mercy, and faith are of the law all in your bid to dissuade people from tithing. i will continue to do justice, mercy, faith and to tithe as long as God grants me life. He has in no place said it should stop. People gave tithes of all that they possessed. i will give tithes of what i possess too. If God does not like it, He will say. Your opinions are inconsequential.

i guess you would have personally gone to stop them if they did. A centurion built a synagogue, you think they would stop him from giving tithe. smh.

Glory be to God, i am not under the law. Your point is mute.

i was not taught the way you were, sorry. The Word of God says tithing ought to be done, i do it. Simples. It does not bring the condemnation of God for i am justified by faith not by works.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 8:05am On Aug 15, 2018
Image123:

1. i can't say, his name is Abram. Why do you ask?

2. Yes, Abraham and Jacob for instance. Why?

3. Tithing was before the law.There was no instructions like the ones you recalled before the first recorded tithe. What is your point again?

1) So you mean that Abram giving a tithe of war spoils automatically means giving a tithe of all he had? Did he also tithe from his personal income?

2) So the Bible states Jacob and Abraham are not Jews? This is really interesting...

3) Circumcision, burnt offerings and fruit offerings also preceded the Law... What's the basis for not doing these but sticking to tithing?

Bear in mind that male circumcision is done these days on health grounds with no spiritual connotations...
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 1:02pm On Aug 15, 2018
brocab:
You keep on talking that tithing ought to be done, but you haven't produce the scripture to back up your theory.

You know the scripture and you already quoted it. Why are you asking for it again? Do you think that the many times it is quoted is what matters or knowing the truth? Well, it is Matthew 23:23 in case you somehow do not still get it.

The law on tithing, was the Mosaic law! Which today it doesn't exist, not in Israel..nor does the old tithing law-exist with you, not your Church, in this day and age name any Church that actually tithes Old testament of herbs, stocks crops, and mechanise yearly..

How is tithing Mosaic and not existing when Jesus clearly said that mercy and faith are weightier parts of that said law? If you say that tithes today is not Mosaic in pattern, what exactly is your problem when people give it? Your confusions are indeed profound.

The Pharisees asked Jesus do we pay taxes, Jesus said to them, “give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.
This is simple enough to understand-Render your tax money to the Government, render our flesh back to God..

Can we do same today, or it is only pharisees and hypocrites that should?

You claim you are not under the law to tithe-you are deafeningly under Church law every week, they preach tithing, they practice tithing, you sit under them and tithe, practicing tithing the way they teach tithing!
I don't care if you refuse the Word of God-it's your choice, {The Word of God is not against tithing itself' it's against the corruption the Church brings against tithing for financial gain}

If your church preaches tithing every week, mine does not. So stop using your church to make hasty generalisations. The Word of God does not say that we should not tithe, so i do not refuse it. You are not the Word of God or are you?

And sadly you are in amongst them, joining in their craftiness against the Word of God. Against God's people-preaching the unbiblical doctrines, praying you will become richer, then you already are through the greed you and your Church have.
{1 Timothy 6:3-5} "If anyone teaches otherwise and does not consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which accords with godliness, he is proud, knowing nothing, but is obsessed with disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, useless wranglings of men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain. From such withdraw yourself.

i wish you would listen attentively to the verse you just quoted. It says to "consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ". i clearly remember Him saying that tithes OUGHT TO BE DONE, and that faith, mercy and judgement should not be left undone. i folow Him, not you. Hear another one, maybe you may change.
1Jn 2:6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. 

I think this say's it all, Churches asking for money each week in tithes, it is this that causes disputes amongst us, and uses godliness for their means to gain.
{This is enough for me, to realise the Church isn't interested what God said: their focus is all about the cash, time and time again more evidence is flying in all direction, the Church is not old news, it continual's its rampage all over the world}
God's people are sick, they are sick of Churches ripping them off, the Church is no-longer a safe haven for the lost sheep, the broken hearted, the poor, the hungry. Sad isn't it?
{Ezekiel 34:1-6} ‘Thus says the Lord God to the shepherds: “Woe to the shepherds of Israel who feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flocks?
They eat the fat and clothe themselves with the wool; they slaughter the fatlings, but they do not feed the flock. The weak they have not strengthened, nor have they healed those who were sick, nor bound up the broken, nor brought back what was driven away, nor sought what was lost; but with force and cruelty they have ruled them. So they were scattered because there was no shepherd; and they became food for all the beasts of the field when they were scattered.
My sheep wandered through all the mountains, and on every high hill; yes, My flock was scattered over the whole face of the earth, and no one was seeking or searching for them.
Even thru Jesus said: withdraw ourselves-obviously He is warning us-and I take this into account the tares among the wheat are plenty, and the Word of God is known to the believers that realise-many are called, but few are chosen..I don't know about you, but I seek the Lord as much as I can, and I believe His Word, well enough to obey His commands, there is no way do I want to believe anything I hear without testing the Word of God..

It does not have to cause disputes for you, just follow Jesus and please Him more by living a victorious life would be a better option. If you have a problem with your church or with some denominations, don't hang it on the tithes. Asides tithes, i want to guess that those denominations also preach prosperity and healing. Why not react by deciding to live in penury and sickness, why is it only tithe you choose to abstain from? Because of convenience i guess. Think it through and face the message, not the messenger.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 1:22pm On Aug 15, 2018
OkaiCorne:

1) So you mean that Abram giving a tithe of war spoils automatically means giving a tithe of all he had? Did he also tithe from his personal income?

Ask the Bible that recorded that he gave tithes of all. The point i simply made was that he gave tithes of more than just vegetables and mangoes(agro-produce) that you hitherto assumed that tithes must be.

2) So the Bible states Jacob and Abraham are not Jews? This is really interesting...

What is interesting is that you do not know. It is common knowledge that jews are descendants of Israel. Jacob and Abraham were not descendants of Israel were they? i would be gracious enough to enlighten you anyway.
Jews are (people of Judea). This name was properly applied to a member of the kingdom of Judah after the separation of the ten tribes. The term first makes its appearance just before the captivity of the ten tribes. 2Kings16:6. After the return, the word received a larger application.
Partly from the predominance of the members of the old kingdom of Judah among those who returned to Palestine, partly from the identification of Judah

3) Circumcision, burnt offerings and fruit offerings also preceded the Law... What's the basis for not doing these but sticking to tithing?

Bear in mind that male circumcision is done these days on health grounds with no spiritual connotations...

Now you know that tithing precedes the law, GOOD of you, very good. Please don't go back again to assuming otherwise. Circumcision, burnt offerings and fruit offerings can be done by anyone for any reason. Nobody is hindered from doing so if you so desire. So stop condemning people for guilt tripping people that for any reason do them. Once you have purpose driven life, and a good purpose for that matter, i say FIRE ON. i clearly remember incidences when members of our little church have offered fruits to the church and no one batted an eyelid.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 1:28pm On Aug 15, 2018
Image123:

Ask the Bible that recorded that he gave tithes of all. The point i simply made was that he gave tithes of more than just vegetables and mangoes(agro-produce) that you hitherto assumed that tithes must be.

What is interesting is that you do not know. It is common knowledge that jews are descendants of Israel. Jacob and Abraham were not descendants of Israel were they? i would be gracious enough to enlighten you anyway.
Jews are (people of Judea). This name was properly applied to a member of the kingdom of Judah after the separation of the ten tribes. The term first makes its appearance just before the captivity of the ten tribes. 2Kings16:6. After the return, the word received a larger application.
Partly from the predominance of the members of the old kingdom of Judah among those who returned to Palestine, partly from the identification of Judah

Now you know that tithing precedes the law, GOOD of you, very good. Please don't go back again to assuming otherwise. Circumcision, burnt offerings and fruit offerings can be done by anyone for any reason. Nobody is hindered from doing so if you so desire. So stop condemning people for guilt tripping people that for any reason do them. Once you have purpose driven life, and a good purpose for that matter, i say FIRE ON. i clearly remember incidences when members of our little church have offered fruits to the church and no one batted an eyelid.

Please where in the Bible was it stated that Abram gave a tithe of all?

You also stated that the Bible mentioned we ought to tithe...now that would be disobedience if people don't tithe right?

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 11:35pm On Aug 16, 2018
OkaiCorne:

Please where in the Bible was it stated that Abram gave a tithe of all?

You also stated that the Bible mentioned we ought to tithe...now that would be disobedience if people don't tithe right?

Let's not get distracted here. Again, "The point i simply made was that he gave tithes of more than just vegetables and mangoes(agro-produce) that you hitherto assumed that tithes must be."

Jesus mentioned that tithes OUGHT TO BE DONE. He also mentioned to watch and to pray always i.e it ought to be as well. i hope you get the point and correlation as you attempt to go further.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 12:26am On Aug 17, 2018
Image123:

Let's not get distracted here. Again, "The point i simply made was that he gave tithes of more than just vegetables and mangoes(agro-produce) that you hitherto assumed that tithes must be."

Jesus mentioned that tithes OUGHT TO BE DONE. He also mentioned to watch and to pray always i.e it ought to be as well. i hope you get the point and correlation as you attempt to go further.

You mentioned Abram gave a tithe of all...whereas what he tithed were from the spoils of war. He tithed only once... which was never from his income. Please where was it stated in the Bible that he gave a tithe of all? Please show us the Bible verse.

And by the way, who was tithing mandatory for that they ought to tithe? Wasn't it the Jews?

Gentiles were never under any obligation to tithe... either in the old or new testament.

Please show us where in the Bible Abram gave a tithe of all...as opposed to tithe of war spoils...

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 8:08am On Aug 17, 2018
I quoted the scripture the right way, but you refuse to acknowledge it!
How you interpret the verse has a completely different meaning to {Matthew 23:23}
Image123:
If your church preaches tithing every week, mine does not. So stop using your church to make hasty generalisations. The Word of God does not say that we should not tithe, so i do not refuse it. You are not the Word of God or are you?
{1-This is a strange question to ask-If I am preaching against tithing-then I wouldn't be involved in any unbiblical Church that tithes.
You preach on tithing every week-while your Church don't preach on tithing every week, are you not disciplined enough to follow suit with your Church {2-And then you ask am I the Word of God-do I sound to you I am the Word of God-or does it sound I bring to you the Word of God? {3- And the Word of God does not say we should not tithe, where does it say in Word we the Gentiles should tithe? It doesn't say it at all..
You are not tithing {Matthew 23:23} this verse is to the Pharisees-are you now a Pharisee-do you tithe spices, just like the Pharisees done-which again, just like you, you refused to tithed the way God commanded the farmers to tithe.
Hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone!
Jesus was not talking to His disciples-He was talking to the scribes and Pharisees these were the ones sitting in Moses’ seat, not his disciples. They were the ones interpreting the Law, not his disciples. The scribes and Pharisees are the hypocrites, not Jesus’ disciples. They were the ones who had exaggerated the Law to make it a burden. Not the disciples! And they were ones who refused to obey the laws they had exaggerated! {Jesus is not disciplining his disciples!}
“For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cumin” woe is you scribes and Pharisees”! As interpreters of the Law they had exaggerated it to include ordinary garden spices which the Law had never included.
The Pharisees prided themselves with scrupulous obedience to circumcision, Sabbath-keeping and tithing. They wanted the Jews to think that they could observe these three rites even better than what was expected of the Law. Meticulously counting micro-small spice seeds was their way of boasting. Just like the Church today-you boast how well you are blessed, through forced giving, while in the mean time, it rips off the poor..
While quoting this very text to prove that Jesus taught tithing to the Church, there is probably no church on earth which tells its members to literally bring tithes of garden spices. Instead you prefer to demand money from those who find it hard to survive.
“And [you] have omitted the weightier matters of the law -- judgment, mercy, and faith.”
Jesus is telling the scribes and Pharisees that judgment, mercy and faith” are more important “matters of the law” than is tithing.
It is incredible how often Christian tithe-teachers quote this verse and omit “of the law.” Then you tell us that Jesus taught tithing and omit the historical context of the verse, the chapter and the covenant. In fact, ALL of {Matthew 22 and 23} is in the context of “matters of the law.” The Herodians had asked, "Is it lawful to give tribute to Caesar, or not?" {Matt. 22:17}
In the next discussion Jesus rebuked the Sadducees by quoting from the law {Matt. 22:32, Exod. 3:6} next, one of the Pharisees asked, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?" {Matt. 22:36}
{Matthew 23}" continues the discussion of “matters of the law. “These you ought to have done, without leaving the other undone.” Again I have never heard of a church which required its tithers to bring tithes “of mint and anise and cumin” and demand that they “ought to have done” so in obedience to Jesus’ command in {Matthew 23:23}
If this verse is supposed to be interpreted as Jesus’ command for Christians to tithe money (which the text does not state) then it should also be interpreted as Jesus’ command for the church to tithe garden spices according to the Law (which the text does clearly state).
Image123:
1Jn 2:6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. 
In fact, Jesus could not have told Gentile Christians to tithe-when Jesus didn't tithe, so without reason the Gentile Christians are walking just as Jesus walked. Jewish tithers walk on the other side of the road..
“These you ought to have done” because Gentiles were not allowed to bring tithes and tithes would not have been accepted even it they attempted to bring them! In order to be legitimate, tithes must only come from Israelites and only from inside Israel!
Jesus only commanded Jews to observe the Mosaic Law and present themselves to the priests. He did not command non-Jews to do this because their lives were not governed by the Mosaic Law. It was not possible under the Law for non-Jews to be circumcised or tithe.
Image123:

You know the scripture and you already quoted it. Why are you asking for it again? Do you think that the many times it is quoted is what matters or knowing the truth? Well, it is Matthew 23:23 in case you somehow do not still get it.

How is tithing Mosaic and not existing when Jesus clearly said that mercy and faith are weightier parts of that said law? If you say that tithes today is not Mosaic in pattern, what exactly is your problem when people give it? Your confusions are indeed profound.

Can we do same today, or it is only pharisees and hypocrites that should?

i wish you would listen attentively to the verse you just quoted. It says to "consent to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ". i clearly remember Him saying that tithes OUGHT TO BE DONE, and that faith, mercy and judgement should not be left undone. i folow Him, not you. Hear another one, maybe you may change.

It does not have to cause disputes for you, just follow Jesus and please Him more by living a victorious life would be a better option. If you have a problem with your church or with some denominations, don't hang it on the tithes. Asides tithes, i want to guess that those denominations also preach prosperity and healing. Why not react by deciding to live in penury and sickness, why is it only tithe you choose to abstain from? Because of convenience i guess. Think it through and face the message, not the messenger.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 9:38am On Aug 17, 2018
@image123

Jesus said tithes "ought to be done" and that's for those who were under the Mosaic Law which made tithing OBLIGATORY. Moreover, tithing was never monetary per the requirement of the Mosaic Law.

Using Matthew 23 v 23 as a basis to validate tithing which was at a point in time when the Mosaic Law was still in force clearly contradicts what Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 9 v 7 (written after the Mosaic Law was fulfilled through the death and ressurection of Jesus)
"Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver"

You cannot say tithing ought to be done when giving must not be done under compulsion under the new covenant.

This in addition to Acts 15 explains why tithing was not practiced in the early church.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 12:45pm On Aug 17, 2018
I find it strange with most organisations, different denominations, it's never complete-tithers believe tithe's came before the law, because of Abraham tithed once of stolen goods-Jacob made a promise, I wonder 'while they are reading the Word of God, are they really seeking the truth, or do they skip through the pages-expecting their priest, pastors to fill in the gaps between the lines on money.
It's a matter of training ourselves, setting a goal to finish our race, asking God into our lives, asking Him to teach us all truth-concerning the Word of God as protestants do.
It's a matter of believing-its simple to the believer, non believers don't believe, and yet so called believers refuse to believe!
Everything I hear about God, I test it, we won't learn if we don't try to learn, how can anybody understand anything if we don't ask God first!
{Matthew 7:7} Seek and you will find, knock and it will be open, ask and it will be given.
How many times have we asked somebody other then God to fill in the gaps we wanted to hear? How many times have we refused to hear the truth, and how many times have we walked away from God, because we find ourselves lazy to ask Him for anything concerning any truth that actually concerns the Word of God.
All is needed, test the Word, it's a matter of truth 'find your answers through it-forget tradition-don't rely on Church rules and regulations-rely on bible truth's, the Word of God, and nothing but the truth, it's the truth that set's us free.
Many are called but few are chosen-"Ask yourselves is your lives changing for God, does the Word of God flow out of your mouths like milk and honey, is the anointing pouring through you 'like a wine glass filling it to the brim, is God's blessings supplying you abundantly, and are you saved to know the above?.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 6:31am On Aug 19, 2018
This video is a great example how far the Church had lost it's way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNlgEg8TL14
From what was once the Church of God-Man had given the Pastors the authority to stand alone up in the pulpit, expecting the Church to pay and listen!
{Ephesians 4:11-16} And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ: that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ—from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
Sadly we don't use our gifts to edify the body, we are not allowed to use our gifts to edify each other in Church, unless it is
orchestrated with tradition rules and regulations, order in the court room, traditions had separated themselves from the body of Christ, just around the corner, and around the next corner, and the next.

Rule number one, thru shalt sit while Pastors have full authority over Church building!
Rule number two thru shalt not speak up preaching nor sharing the Word of God to others, while Pastor is in pursuit!
Rule number three, thru shalt pay amounts of money before Pastor speaks in Church!
Do people really expect the Church to be this simple, when we ourselves don't take care of it, I suppose asking somebody other then God, would make life a little easier-who really cares as long as the Pastor tells me I am going to heaven, as long as he reads my bible, he prays for me, he preaches to me, as long as I follow Church traditions every week and pay tithes, as long as my Pastor feeds the hungry, cloths the poor and the needy, as long as my Pastor serves and love the Church I attend, as long as I believe God-I have nothing to worry about-I am going to heaven!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:02am On Aug 22, 2018
OkaiCorne:

You mentioned Abram gave a tithe of all...whereas what he tithed were from the spoils of war. He tithed only once... which was never from his income. Please where was it stated in the Bible that he gave a tithe of all? Please show us the Bible verse.

And by the way, who was tithing mandatory for that they ought to tithe? Wasn't it the Jews?

Gentiles were never under any obligation to tithe... either in the old or new testament.

Please show us where in the Bible Abram gave a tithe of all...as opposed to tithe of war spoils...

The point clearly made was simply that Abraham gave tithes of more than just vegetables and mangoes(agro-produce) that you hitherto assumed that tithes must be." Whether it is recorded once or hundred times is besides the point. Your point was that tithe has to be agro-produce, and i show you someone who gave tithe of non-agroproduce and the Bible calls it TITHE. The Holy Spirit calls it TITHES both in Genesis and in the Hebrews. But you say it cannot be tithe.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 12:35am On Aug 22, 2018
Image123:

The point clearly made was simply that Abraham gave tithes of more than just vegetables and mangoes(agro-produce) that you hitherto assumed that tithes must be." Whether it is recorded once or hundred times is besides the point. Your point was that tithe has to be agro-produce, and i show you someone who gave tithe of non-agroproduce and the Bible calls it TITHE. The Holy Spirit calls it TITHES both in Genesis and in the Hebrews. But you say it cannot be tithe.

Where is the Bible verse that states Abraham gave a tithe of all?

And my point on tithing was that God demanded tithes in form of agro-produce from the Jews... when He made it mandatory for them to tithe.

You mentioned Jesus said "we ought to tithe"...but you ignored the fact that tithes were done on agro-produce by the Jews back then even when money existed!

You're also ignoring the fact that when Abram tithed, there were no stipulated rules on tithing, neither was Abram under any form compulsion to tithe... Now that there is a stipulated rule on tithing outlined by God in the Mosaic Laws...why do you want to ignore that?

Is there anywhere in the Bible God demanded money as tithe?

Please show us where in the Bible Abram gave a tithe of all as opposed to war spoils...

Isn't it interesting that tithes featured in the book of Hebrews... But not in other letters addressed to the gentile churches? e.g. Corinthians, Galatians, Romans, Ephesians...etc
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:38am On Aug 22, 2018
OkaiCorne:
@image123

Jesus said tithes "ought to be done" and that's for those who were under the Mosaic Law which made tithing OBLIGATORY. Moreover, tithing was never monetary per the requirement of the Mosaic Law.

Using Matthew 23 v 23 as a basis to validate tithing which was at a point in time when the Mosaic Law was still in force clearly contradicts what Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 9 v 7 (written after the Mosaic Law was fulfilled through the death and ressurection of Jesus)
"Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver"

You cannot say tithing ought to be done when giving must not be done under compulsion under the new covenant.

This in addition to Acts 15 explains why tithing was not practiced in the early church.

Jesus said tithes "ought to be done". He NEVER classified His statement as for only some selected ones. His Words do not pass away. Just the next chapter.
Mat 24:35  Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. 

Tithing was BEFORE the Mosaic law as we have seen from Abraham, it is not subject to Mosaic law. Abraham did not need the Mosaic law to tithe, neither do i. Paul's writings do not supersede the words of Jesus. By the way Paul himself gave under necessity and told people to.
Rom_12:13  Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
He also counted preaching the gospel as a necessity.
1Co_9:16  For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
And to crown it, tithing does not have to be by compulsion as you imply. Ought as used in Matthew 23 is an indication of what SHOULD be done, not the force you are mistaking it to be. it is right for you to do these, is the simple meaning of what is said.

Again, Acts 15 has nothing to do with tithes. There are a host of other things that christians do asides Acts 15. We should not take only Acts 15 as scriptures and appear blind to other scriptures. Prayer, fellowship, giving are not in Acts 15, yet we do them. Why is it only tithes that you think we should not do after Acts 15? Because you think tithe is under the law, yet it has been clearly shown that it was before the law. Anise and Cummin are not mentioned in the Mosaic law, but the pharisees and scribes tithed of it. Jesus didn't condemn it, instead He mentioned that they ought to do it and not leave the weightier matters. Again, do you show mercy, faith or judgement? Or they are not for you?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 2:02pm On Aug 22, 2018
Image123:

Jesus said tithes "ought to be done". He NEVER classified His statement as for only some selected ones. His Words do not pass away. Just the next chapter.

Tithing was BEFORE the Mosaic law as we have seen from Abraham, it is not subject to Mosaic law. Abraham did not need the Mosaic law to tithe, neither do i. Paul's writings do not supersede the words of Jesus. By the way Paul himself gave under necessity and told people to.
1Co_9:16  For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
And to crown it, tithing does not have to be by compulsion as you imply. Ought as used in Matthew 23 is an indication of what SHOULD be done, not the force you are mistaking it to be. it is right for you to do these, is the simple meaning of what is said.

Again, Acts 15 has nothing to do with tithes. There are a host of other things that christians do asides Acts 15. We should not take only Acts 15 as scriptures and appear blind to other scriptures. Prayer, fellowship, giving are not in Acts 15, yet we do them. Why is it only tithes that you think we should not do after Acts 15? Because you think tithe is under the law, yet it has been clearly shown that it was before the law. Anise and Cummin are not mentioned in the Mosaic law, but the pharisees and scribes tithed of it. Jesus didn't condemn it, instead He mentioned that they ought to do it and not leave the weightier matters. Again, do you show mercy, faith or judgement? Or they are not for you?

Very good... Let's look at the Bible in its entirety.

Can you show us where tithing was practiced in the early church?

Have you done any research on the origin of tithing in the church?

Please also show us where in the Bible Abram gave a tithe of all...

I'm baffled as to how a voluntary one-off transaction from the spoils of war now becomes a basis for giving a tenth of one's monthly income into a church's treasury...

Also looking at Matthew 23 v 23, where you mentioned Jesus said tithing "ought to be done" shows that it was mandatory for the Jews (farmers) who were under the Mosaic Law. Tithing never applied to the gentiles...

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 2:01pm On Aug 23, 2018
It doesn't matter how many times the Lord had told us we can't worship Mammon and God at the same time-I have read page after page on this forum from you-and by your fruit it clearly shows your heart is where your treasure is, 6 threescore and 6 in Gold..Solomon's wisdom how to gain large amounts of finances, quickly! {1 Kings 10:1-13; 2 Chronicles 9:1-12}. .
Your arguments is about how you were taught, not by scripture-you are taught to use scriptures like {Matthew 23:23} this doesn't concern your argument, nor does it concern the way the Church nowadays tithe.
If {Matthew 23:23} had any meaning to the Church today, and you were reading your bible then you would know that tithing is not for the gentiles-nor for the Jew's today!
And if you choose to tithe, and not give as Jesus commanded us-then you would know the scriptures, and you will bring your tithes just as the Pharisees brought their tithes of herbs into the storehouse, God granted the farmers with plenty of rain each year, blessing them abundantly, in return-their duty was to feed the poor!
If the Church had focused their thoughts on looking after the poor-as expected-instead of relying on money to build Church buildings, from the four corners of the earth-everybody would know how to accept God-and accept God's Church!
"There wouldn't be starvation, the poorest countries around the world would live for God, We wouldn't need to rely on government support, nor any other support that stands outside the Church-because we will have each other-we would come together and pray in one accord and know God-just the way God had planned us to know Him!
{Matthew 4:8-10} Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. “All this I will give You, he said, “if You will fall down and worship me.” “Away from me, Satan!” Jesus declared. “For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve Him only.’”…
Image123:

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 7:53am On Aug 25, 2018
"Gold, Money and The Mark of the Beast 666!
One of the most convincing characteristics that suggests that the Mark of the Beast is a physical object is its requirement to buy and sell.
In contrast, it's very difficult to imagine how a spiritual symbol could be used for such purposes, "There's an important verse in the Old Testament that supports the Mark of the Beast's close connection to money and 666.
{Now the weight of gold that came to Solomon in one year was six hundred threescore and six talents of gold, 1 Kings 10:14}
The law of first mention gives a special significance to the first use of a word or symbol, a significance that is carried throughout the entire Bible [1].
This is the first occurrence of the number 666 in the Bible-"Many scholars have attempted to link 666 to Solomon or the Queen of Sheba but the plain fact is that the direct context of 666 in this verse is gold, six hundred threescore and six talents of gold to be exact.
Another verse directly related to gold is found in the book of Daniel. This verse describes an idol that represents a succession of worldly powers, the first of which is described as a head of gold. The last kingdom, represented by the idol's feet, will rise in the last days to be ultimately destroyed by Jesus Christ Daniel's Statue, head of gold (the stone that was cut without hands.)
{Daniel 2} Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible. This image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay, "Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.
The chapter goes on to explain that the head of gold belongs to the then current king, Nebuchadnezzar {Daniel 2:37-38}
Nebuchadnezzar was later transformed into something of a beast to graze in the field (Daniel 4:15-16)
Not only do we have a link to gold but also to a kingdom and a beast. {For more info on Nebuchadnezzar and idolatry see Lucifer Has Fallen}
There's also another "image" in Daniel that's made of gold and shares similar characteristics with the Mark of the Beast and 666. These characteristics include the numbers six and sixty as well as idolatry and punishment for those that refuse to worship the image {Revelation 13:15}
Nebuchadnezzar the king made an image of gold, whose height was threescore cubits, and the breadth thereof six cubits: he set it up in the plain of Dura, in the province of Babylon. {Daniel 3:1}
Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up? {Daniel 3:14}
But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. {Daniel 3:18}
And he commanded the most mighty men that were in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, and to cast them into the burning fiery furnace. [color=#990000]{Daniel 3:20}
The New Testament also contains a verse that hints at the Mark of the Beast's close relationship to gold. [/color]
Acts is the only other book that uses the word charagma, the same Greek word translated as mark in Revelation. It's only used once, translated as "graven," and like 1 Kings is used in the same context as gold.
Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. {Acts 17:29}
The Church is fallen down this very same road, everything about the Church it's focused on money..
Gold as a Modern Currency-gold bars Gold is looked at as the de-facto standard for money.
It's been used for millenia in trade and is what many currencies have been weighed against to hold their value. When a currency is backed by gold its called a gold standard [2]. The economy of the United States was based on a gold standard from 1944 until 1971.
During the last few decades an interesting phenomenon has taken root in Digital Gold [3]. e-Gold and e-Bullion, among others, had gained ground as popular currencies before being shut down by the US Treasury due to their criminal adoption [4].
The touted benefits of such a currency include security, stability, anonymity, and low fees. Altogether Digital Gold is an attractive form of payment and a logical alternative for paper money, but it will never succeed widely until it can overcome the same problems of cash - accountability and traceability. It needs to be tied to identity. Bitcoin shares the same problems.
Started in 1996, e-Gold was the first provider of Digital Gold, a full four years prior to any of its competitors [5]. e-Dinar was later founded in 2000 and is unique in its support of an Islamic gold standard.
Islamic gold DinarIslamic law strictly forbids the use of paper money like the American dollar to pay zakat [6], "which is similar to the Christian tithe. This has caused some Muslim leaders to encourage the exclusive use of Islamic currency to pay zakat.
An Islamic gold standard calls Muslims to use an Islamic based currency such as the gold Dinar not just for zakat but whenever and wherever possible.
When the US gave up it's gold standard it needed to ensure that the dollar would continue to hold value. "They did this by striking a deal with Saudi Arabia to trade oil (black gold) exclusively for American dollars.
In exchange the US would provide weapons and military backing. Other oil producers soon followed. To this day most countries must first buy dollars in order to purchase oil. This system is collectively known as the petrodollar.
It has been theorized that a switch from the petrodollar to the gold Dinar would cause the US economy to collapse. Whether or not that theory actually holds weight is anyone's guess, but it's been suggested that Gaddafi was killed for pushing that exact agenda [7].
Saddam Hussein had also started accepting the Euro for oil before being captured, tried, and hanged for crimes against humanity. Iran and Russia have recently abandoned the petrodollar and the US is no position to attack either by conventional means.
A Euro w/ 666 on back and a Greek 2 Euro coin w/ a woman on a bull (a beast)The Euro could completely replace the exclusive use of the dollar to purchase oil. If you take a look at any Euro coin there's a distinct 666 on the back, blazened right across Europe. It's also very interesting that the Greek two Euro coin depicts a woman riding a beast (Revelation 17:3).
The Euro will continue to grow stronger and could very well play a supporting role for the Mark of the Beast.
If there was ever a stable world-wide currency, gold is it. If digital currencies continue growing in popularity they could easily become the backing for microchip payment formats like the Verichip. The number 666 and the Mark of the Beast do hold spiritual significance, but held alone such interpretations do not support a requirement to buy and sell. The physical associations with gold, money, and 666 are very clear.
It is quite scary when we know the Churches main menu is focused only on money!
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Nobody: 11:22am On Aug 25, 2018
Image123:

It appears to me that you are missing something. That Jesus while alive was subject to the law of Moses. He hadn't given his body as sacrifice. It was after his death that the law was out of the way as a yardstick for righteousness, not before. So you are right. Jesus didn't condemn tithing while he was yet alive. But when he died, his flesh and blood brought something new. Christ is the end of the law said Rom 10:4, there was a change of the law after Christ's sacrifice, even law on tithing, see Heb 7:11,12 (also compare col 2:15). Does that make any sense to you?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 11:34pm On Aug 27, 2018
JMAN05:

It appears to me that you are missing something. That Jesus while alive was subject to the law of Moses. He hadn't given his body as sacrifice. It was after his death that the law was out of the way as a yardstick for righteousness, not before. So you are right. Jesus didn't condemn tithing while he was yet alive. But when he died, his flesh and blood brought something new. Christ is the end of the law said Rom 10:4, there was a change of the law after Christ's sacrifice, even law on tithing, see Heb 7:11,12 (also compare col 2:15). Does that make any sense to you?

Tithing is not subject to the law as it was before the law, that is the point. The tithing which people say is of the law is not the tithe being practicd today, that is what most of the people aginst tithe say here. So there is absolutely no problem with the tithe given today as it is not even the definition of "tithe under the law".
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:09am On Aug 28, 2018
OkaiCorne:

Where is the Bible verse that states Abraham gave a tithe of all?

We've been through this [url=already]https://www.nairaland.com/113108/truth-pastor-not-tell-tithes/33#70298859
[/url]. And i immediately explained that "The point i simply made was that he gave tithes of more than just vegetables and mangoes(agro-produce) that you hitherto assumed that tithes must be." But seeing you still need it for whatever confidence, here it is. Try not to twist it to say something else.
Gen_14:20  And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

And my point on tithing was that God demanded tithes in form of agro-produce from the Jews... when He made it mandatory for them to tithe.

Nothing shows that He rejected otherwise. The man in Christ's illustration said he gave tithes of all.
Luk_18:12  I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

You mentioned Jesus said "we ought to tithe"...but you ignored the fact that tithes were done on agro-produce by the Jews back then even when money existed!
For the umpteenth time, we do not give tithes as under the law. Also, there should be no problem with you guys if what we give is not(does not qualify) tithe.

You're also ignoring the fact that when Abram tithed, there were no stipulated rules on tithing, neither was Abram under any form compulsion to tithe... Now that there is a stipulated rule on tithing outlined by God in the Mosaic Laws...why do you want to ignore that?
How can i ignore that when i say that we are in similar condition? We are not under the law as Abraham was not under the law.

Please show us where in the Bible Abram gave a tithe of all as opposed to war spoils...
Please show me where i said so. i repeated it several times that i made a point that Abraham's tithe was more than agro-produce. Yet you think i said he gave something opposed to spoils. Are spoils the same as agro-produce or is it the same spelling?

Isn't it interesting that tithes featured in the book of Hebrews... But not in other letters addressed to the gentile churches? e.g. Corinthians, Galatians, Romans, Ephesians...etc

Is it not interesting that the Bible warns not to cut out any scripture. What you are telling me here is that the book of Hebrews is not scriptures for you.
Rev 22:19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:17am On Aug 28, 2018
OkaiCorne:

Very good... Let's look at the Bible in its entirety.

Can you show us where tithing was practiced in the early church?

Have you done any research on the origin of tithing in the church?

Please also show us where in the Bible Abram gave a tithe of all...

I'm baffled as to how a voluntary one-off transaction from the spoils of war now becomes a basis for giving a tenth of one's monthly income into a church's treasury...

Also looking at Matthew 23 v 23, where you mentioned Jesus said tithing "ought to be done" shows that it was mandatory for the Jews (farmers) who were under the Mosaic Law. Tithing never applied to the gentiles...

do you show mercy, faith or judgement? Or they are not for you? You dodged that artfully. Please answer.
Have you seen where they had their bath in the early church? Do you see where they cooked or where they clapped or beat drums? Does it mean these things must not be done or were not done, in case you did not see it recorded? That something is not recorded does not automaticlly mean it did not happen. That is why i ask you continuously to show us if/where it is condemned.
Joh 21:25  And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

The origin of tithing is seen in the practice of great men like Abraham and Jacob. Any other thing after is mere story.

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 12:29am On Aug 28, 2018
Image123:

do you show mercy, faith or judgement? Or they are not for you? You dodged that artfully. Please answer.
Have you seen where they had their bath in the early church? Do you see where they cooked or where they clapped or beat drums? Does it mean these things must not be done or were not done, in case you did not see it recorded? That something is not recorded does not automaticlly mean it did not happen. That is why i ask you continuously to show us if/where it is condemned.
Joh 21:25  And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

The origin of tithing is seen in the practice of great men like Abraham and Jacob. Any other thing after is mere story.

You are the one dodging an obvious fact here...

What exactly made the Jews to tithe in the first place? Was it not the Mosaic Law that made it compulsory for the Jews to tithe?

Or are you insinuating tithing was not compulsory for the Jews vis-a-vis the discussion between Jesus and the Pharisees in Matthew 23 v 23?

Or did you see anywhere in the Bible Jesus admonished the gentiles to tithe too?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:35am On Aug 28, 2018
brocab:
It doesn't matter how many times the Lord had told us we can't worship Mammon and God at the same time-I have read page after page on this forum from you-and by your fruit it clearly shows your heart is where your treasure is, 6 threescore and 6 in Gold..Solomon's wisdom how to gain large amounts of finances, quickly! {1 Kings 10:1-13; 2 Chronicles 9:1-12}. .
Your arguments is about how you were taught, not by scripture-you are taught to use scriptures like {Matthew 23:23} this doesn't concern your argument, nor does it concern the way the Church nowadays tithe.
If {Matthew 23:23} had any meaning to the Church today, and you were reading your bible then you would know that tithing is not for the gentiles-nor for the Jew's today!
And if you choose to tithe, and not give as Jesus commanded us-then you would know the scriptures, and you will bring your tithes just as the Pharisees brought their tithes of herbs into the storehouse, God granted the farmers with plenty of rain each year, blessing them abundantly, in return-their duty was to feed the poor!
If the Church had focused their thoughts on looking after the poor-as expected-instead of relying on money to build Church buildings, from the four corners of the earth-everybody would know how to accept God-and accept God's Church!
"There wouldn't be starvation, the poorest countries around the world would live for God, We wouldn't need to rely on government support, nor any other support that stands outside the Church-because we will have each other-we would come together and pray in one accord and know God-just the way God had planned us to know Him!
{Matthew 4:8-10} Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. “All this I will give You, he said, “if You will fall down and worship me.” “Away from me, Satan!” Jesus declared. “For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve Him only.’”…

Which one is give and which one is tithe? Tithing is a form of giving, what is your problem with words?
Heb_7:4  Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

Like i have said several times. If what we are giving is not tithes, why are you having headaches again?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by Image123(m): 12:36am On Aug 28, 2018
OkaiCorne:

You are the one dodging an obvious fact here...

What exactly made the Jews to tithe in the first place? Was it not the Mosaic Law that made it compulsory for the Jews to tithe?

Or are you insinuating tithing was not compulsory for the Jews vis-a-vis the discussion between Jesus and the Pharisees in Matthew 23 v 23?

Or did you see anywhere in the Bible Jesus admonished the gentiles to tithe too?

The words of Jesus are not tribalistic. You are seriously dodging here. Address the issues.
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 12:38am On Aug 28, 2018
Image123:

We've been through this [url=already]https://www.nairaland.com/113108/truth-pastor-not-tell-tithes/33#70298859
[/url]. And i immediately explained that "The point i simply made was that he gave tithes of more than just vegetables and mangoes(agro-produce) that you hitherto assumed that tithes must be." But seeing you still need it for whatever confidence, here it is. Try not to twist it to say something else.
Gen_14:20  And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Nothing shows that He rejected otherwise. The man in Christ's illustration said he gave tithes of all.

For the umpteenth time, we do not give tithes as under the law. Also, there should be no problem with you guys if what we give is not(does not qualify) tithe.

How can i ignore that when i say that we are in similar condition? We are not under the law as Abraham was not under the law.

Please show me where i said so. i repeated it several times that i made a point that Abraham's tithe was more than agro-produce. Yet you think i said he gave something opposed to spoils. Are spoils the same as agro-produce or is it the same spelling?

Is it not interesting that the Bible warns not to cut out any scripture. What you are telling me here is that the book of Hebrews is not scriptures for you.
Rev 22:19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

And I've asked you why you shave or why you don't see tassels at the corners of your clothes...or why you don't also obey the Mosaic Laws on not planting two different seeds in a garden or not wearing clothes of mixed materials...

What were your answers again? Keep on dribbling yourself.

When it comes to those requirements I mentioned earlier... you now remember you are not under the Mosaic Law. But when it comes to monetary tithing (which was never in the scriptures)... You are quoting Rev 22 v 19.

And don't tell lies to make your point. Where exactly did I mention Hebrews is not part of the scriptures?

In case you're having a tough time interpreting a simple question I asked you...let me repeat it again.

Why do you think the issue of tithing was raised in Hebrews alone? Why didn't it feature in other gospels written to gentile churches e.g. Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, Corinthians? etc...

I'm waiting for you to dodge this question or feign ignorance..
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 12:41am On Aug 28, 2018
Image123:

The words of Jesus are not tribalistic. You are seriously dodging here. Address the issues.

Can you show us where the early church gave tithes?

Can you show us where Jesus or the Apostles gave or collected tithes?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 12:53am On Aug 28, 2018
Image123:

@brocab...you can see how image123 is interpreting the scriptures deceitfully...

What did Abram give a tithe of? Or did the whole story end at Genesis 14 v 20?

For goodness sake from verse 21 onwards...it was very clear what was tithed were from the spoils of war...and NOT ALL THAT ABRAM POSSESSED!

Now should a one-time transaction from war spoils become a basis for giving a tenth of one's monthly income to the church purse? What's the connection here?

The only part of the Bible where tithing became regular (annually) was with the introduction of the Mosaic Law to the Jews...if the Mosaic Law is obsolete...then what's the point tithing regularly?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by OkaiCorne(m): 1:01am On Aug 28, 2018
Image123:

Tithing is not subject to the law as it was before the law, that is the point. The tithing which people say is of the law is not the tithe being practicd today, that is what most of the people aginst tithe say here. So there is absolutely no problem with the tithe given today as it is not even the definition of "tithe under the law".

Even the Apostles in the early church knew tithing was before the law. Why wasn't tithing practiced in the early church? Since according to you, Jesus said "it ought to be done"

Why didn't the Apostles go around levying and collecting tithes in the early church? After all, the words of Jesus are not tribalistic na...

1 Like

Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2018
I don't believe you-fast twice a week, and then bring your tenth of all you earn to the Church you attend, I know you don't obey God's rules, you deafeningly don't obey the law on tithing, not the way God commanded the Jewish farmers to tithe.
The Pharisees were lairs too!
{Luke 18:10-12} Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ {A tenth is pretty little when giving is more or less}
“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God.
It's obvious which one is justified, the one that didn't tithe at all, let alone a tenth?
Giving is free will-Giving is not told every week one must tithe into the Church they are attending, "A tither would say-I tithe 10% every week because the Church demands I give 10% to build it's kingdom on earth. "I give my pastor riches-to support his dreams, "not my dreams" to build his kingdom, not my kingdom of mega homes, fancy cars, aeroplanes, Motor bikes, and monies that burns with the wind..
The differences between tithing and giving is this: from my heart I give-but from a Churches prospective, it isn't from my heart I give, I give on demand-its the Churches custom to say-I must give my tithe of just 10% to God every week, while the rest is mine!
{Luke 11:42} "Woe to you Pharisees, because you give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all other kinds of garden herbs, but you neglect justice and the love of God. You should have practiced the latter without leaving the former undone.
Tithing 10% to God once a week, is like sending somebody away without food in the bellies, and saying to them be blessed and warm for the winter, without giving them the things that is needed-giving more or less then 10% to God is giving the things that is needed everyday, Giving is not focused on just money, tithing is, Free will-Giving is from the heart-if you see your brother in need, "give.
I am not complete until I give something to somebody-I say in my heart-bless is he who comes in the name of the Lord, the kingdom of God had come near to you.
And Abraham gave the tenth from the spoils of war-stolen goods, if we tithe from stolen goods once and for all, like Abraham's story-then we can say in our hearts I have given everything to the kings in the Church-so the kings couldn't say they had made me rich, through tithes.
Image123:

Which one is give and which one is tithe? Tithing is a form of giving, what is your problem with words?
Heb_7:4  Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

Like i have said several times. If what we are giving is not tithes, why are you having headaches again?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 4:53pm On Aug 28, 2018
Yeh bro, I can see it, the Word of God is freely given to those who seek, not everybody seeks after the Word of God! Satan said to Jesus bow down before me and I will give you all the kingdoms on earth-Jesus said: get behind Me Satan you shall worship God and Him only you shall serve.
Satan said: bow down before me, and he will give you the desires of the heart.
{Ephesians 4:11} He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Should we say tithing talks while the innocent walks, Will tithing set us free-can tithing bring life, will tithing protect the saints, can tithing edify the body of Christ, can it deliver us from evil, can tithing save us? "What does tithing bring "prosperity of health and wealth, does it not cause disputes and arguments over words, from which come envy, strife, reviling, evil suspicions, tithing causes men of corrupt minds and destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is their means to financial gain!
And yet Jesus said: foxes have holes, birds have nest, while He had no place to rest His head: and the apostles laid amongst the thorns.
Image 123 drives fancy car's, the highways is his home, his life style is his riches, his dreams and his visions are focus on worldly luxuries!
OkaiCorne:

@brocab...you can see how image123 is interpreting the scriptures deceitfully...

What did Abram give a tithe of? Or did the whole story end at Genesis 14 v 20?

For goodness sake from verse 21 onwards...it was very clear what was tithed were from the spoils of war...and NOT ALL THAT ABRAM POSSESSED!

Now should a one-time transaction from war spoils become a basis for giving a tenth of one's monthly income to the church purse? What's the connection here?

The only part of the Bible where tithing became regular (annually) was with the introduction of the Mosaic Law to the Jews...if the Mosaic Law is obsolete...then what's the point tithing regularly?
Re: The truth your pastor would not tell you about tithes by brocab: 1:35am On Aug 29, 2018
It's even safer if we study the Word of God-and find what is truth! If your brother said: to you, I will jump off this bridge, because the Church told him too, would you follow and obey the order the Church told your brother to jump of the bridge-all would you test against the Church-and study the reasons why it isn't safe to jump of the bridge?
This is why it is not wise to chase after everything we hear especially if the information came out of a Church-it is best to test it, wisdom and knowledge from God gives us a better understanding how to live a better life!
atinuke1985:
well am not exactly clear on this, but I think its safer to pay so if it was required its all well and gd …if it wan’t all well and good

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (40) (Reply)

Cultism, The Spiritual Consequences And Deliverance Through Christ / The Doctrine Of The Ufos / Must Read!!why And How I Became A Satanist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 236
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.