Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (6041) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10826464 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6038) (6039) (6040) (6041) (6042) (6043) (6044) ... (7728) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmasoft(m): 7:11pm On Oct 25, 2020
Pee2Jay9:
Hello everyone, great job y'all are doing here. Pls can someone kindly explain this stock business to me? I've been reading from page 6000 and I can only infer that it's buying and selling. Is it all to it?
How do one know when to buy?
How are the purchases done?
I know that experience will teach me which shares to buy or not buy, but kindly educate a lay man like me that is new to all this. Thanks alot

Stock investment is a marathon not a sprint. With those questions you put up there, you have not read enough. Read earlier pages and other materials to get the basics. Don't rush the market is always there anytime you are equip enough you can start and keep learning while at it. That you are not there now doesn't mean everyone there will make more money than you. Investment in stocks is all about your objectives and sticking to a strategy that works for you.

There is what we called first principle in calculus it works also in stocks. Go to first principle no short cuts.
for stockbroking account and more click the link on my signature.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 7:15pm On Oct 25, 2020
onegentleguy:

Yes, its a fine improvement considering where they are coming from.
It's important to note that Q2 and Q3 are usually tough for the sector. ...a time when operating margin is affected by a combination of lower vol and variable cost, yet the company has done quite well within the said period this yr.
However there is need to improve more on certain efficiency and profitability lines.

That said, the company's balance sheet remains robust and when u match the current earnings stand and cash position to the coys present mkt price of N17.90 adjusting for risk, WAPCO still offers a near 58% reward expectation.
...it's a N28.15 stock.

HOLD !!
lexy2lexy:
It will be interesting to know what is driving the higher technical fees. How will the merger with ready mix drive an increase in technical fees without corresponding increase in revenue. Usually technical fees are a percentage of revenue. The 3Q result was poor in my opinion, the quarter EPS dropped significantly compared to the earlier quarters in the year.

BTW, really appreciate the depth and quality of your analysis. Maximum respect bro!

Without a corresponding increase in revenue? ...which report are u looking at bro? wink cheesy grin
Wapco' revenue Nos actually grew both QoQ and YoY.

Again, it would be blurring the figures comparing Wapco' Q3 2020 PAT MARGIN to that of 2019 Q3 when infact, there was a one-off item/line of earnings in Q3 2019.(discontinued operations from sale of S.A business arm)
Where there had been an extraordinary/one-off line, u should discount it before comparing a coys QoQ print. ...otherwise a YoY guide should be used instead, to better mirror a coys operating margin and check in on overall performance.(EM and EPS in view)
That would be a more effective way to interprete an income statement.

In retrospect, NPM should be the PAT margin from continued operations... and from there u can see that the coy did book a positive growth in that line(npm), EM and EPS.

On their COSG, it was a mixed performance.
While they did try to cut down on certain cost line which hitherto had been a course of concern, they underperformed in a few others.
In retrospect, cost of distribution and maintenance went down by circa 4,200pbs and 2,600pbs respectively.
However, the coys variable cost and production cost shot up by over 60% and 66% in that order. While the former cost line could be attributed to seasonal-related factors(see the 1st part in bold from post above), the 66% top-up in production cost is a thing of concern.
The company has a fully owned subsidiary(Wapsila Nig ltd) through which it generates and sells power, so one would've thought that the part about energy expense(part of production cost) should be trending down.
Personal expense(also part of production cost) should've also trended down, especially when u consider the drop in cost of distribution and factor in the economic surrounding(post covid-19) in the period under review.
The only logical explanation for the increase under this line(prod cost) would be that of by-product cost given previous corona-induced slowdown in economic activities. ...but then again, they did better in Q2... a period which saw the peak of economic purse, so why couldn't they repeat similar feet in Q3?

A critical review of the changes in cost line shows that it wasn't the result of a struggle to push vol(growing gross in view), but that of efficiency.
While it appears they did gain some margin of mkt share, they need to be more prudent with managing available resource.
This was why I said that there's need to improve more on their profitability and efficiency lines.

Overall, risk(even with a high premium and zero growth) is still well below feasible reward in view of the the coys current equity price.
The coy still holds a great prospect in value accretion for those whose investment horizon tags along the mid term.(see 2nd part in bold above)
Like I always tell folks:

In the stock market world, a cheap/undervalued asset isn't just one whose price is low in terms of VALUE or high in REWARD... but broadly one whose price is low in terms of RISK and high in PEACE OF MIND.
...a wining investor must know how and when to relate in between !!

~Sinclair
This Nugget is KEY !!

On a side note, its very possible that this coy might be a future candidate for acquisition/buy out. ...in which case, one could well book a near 80% return(ROI) from the current mkt price.

It is well.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by OBAGADAFFI: 7:21pm On Oct 25, 2020
Any news on law union and rock buyout and payoff yet?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmasoft(m): 7:56pm On Oct 25, 2020
OBAGADAFFI:
Any news on law union and rock buyout and payoff yet?

Investors already getting alert for the consideration payment of 1.23/share since Friday.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by cucumbar: 8:02pm On Oct 25, 2020
ojeysky:

Maybe Intbrew, Guinness or Eti?
please which one is ETI?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by cucumbar: 8:03pm On Oct 25, 2020
Danniee:

Expectation is high here, 50%+ is expected.
for which of them, please?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by zimams: 8:23pm On Oct 25, 2020
ETI is Ecobank.
And that is the one I feel might do N8+ with market sentiments. They don't pay dividends so I approach it strictly for capital gains.

This is my thinking ... I may be wrong. Please do you due diligence.

cucumbar:
for which of them, please?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by megawealth01: 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
ukay2:

To where?
Above #30
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by OBAGADAFFI: 10:01pm On Oct 25, 2020
emmasoft:

Investors already getting alert for the consideration payment of 1.23/share since Friday.

Really, did fill any form before payments.

What is the process for getting paid.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmasoft(m): 10:24pm On Oct 25, 2020
OBAGADAFFI:

Really, did fill any form before payments.

What is the process for getting paid.

No filling of any form. Since it was a resolution passed in the meeting once you are a minority shareholder, you will be paid. I want to believe it's in batches. However, After COB tomorrow if you didn't get yours you can contact

CardinalStone Registrars
335/337, Herbert Macaulay Way, Sabo, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
01-7120090
registrars@cardinalstone.com
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 6:56am On Oct 26, 2020
ojeysky:
Maybe Intbrew, Guinness or Eti?
I think this type of stocks are better recommended to those already in the system and knows their ways around the stocks/market.

As for newbies, dividend paying stocks are always advised.
@cucumbar in my opinion, I think you should look the way of Zenith, try and see if you could get around 20 region and below 20 will be much better.
Also see if you could get Wapco around 16/17 region.

Sometimes ago, one guy bought GTB at circa 28 before covid issue, he later came here to seek advice on what to do when the price of GTB fell below 20 and he was advised to leave it as it was, that GTB will erase the loss. If he didn't panic sell later, he must have recovered the loss and be sitting on profit by now, together with interim dividend chopped.

In essence, what I'm driving at here is that fundamentally sound/dividend paying stocks will benefit newbies mostly.....moreso, that market also has a mind of its own.

cc: @ololufemi

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 7:00am On Oct 26, 2020
BullBearMkt:
Hello my Sister, I hope you are better now? Peace!!!
grin grin grin grin grin
Yes boss. Thanks sir.
Thanks Doc Ukay2.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by OBAGADAFFI: 8:50am On Oct 26, 2020
emmasoft:

No filling of any form. Since it was a resolution passed in the meeting once you are a minority shareholder, you will be paid. I want to believe it's in batches. However, After COB tomorrow if you didn't get yours you can contact

CardinalStone Registrars
335/337, Herbert Macaulay Way, Sabo, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria
01-7120090
registrars@cardinalstone.com

Thanks for this informatiom.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ojeysky(m): 9:12am On Oct 26, 2020
Mcy56:

I think this type of stocks are better recommended to those already in the system and knows their ways around the stocks/market.

As for newbies, dividend paying stocks are always advised.
@cucumbar in my opinion, I think you should look the way of Zenith, try and see if you could get around 20 region and below 20 will be much better.
Also see if you could get Wapco around 16/17 region.

Sometimes ago, one guy bought GTB at circa 28 before covid issue, he later came here to seek advice on what to do when the price of GTB fell below 20 and he was advised to leave it as it was, that GTB will erase the loss. If he didn't panic sell later, he must have recovered the loss and be sitting on profit by now, together with interim dividend chopped.

In essence, what I'm driving at here is that fundamentally sound/dividend paying stocks will benefit newbies mostly.....moreso, that market also has a mind of its own.

cc: @ololufemi

Right but he/she gave a 3months window and there will be no dividends on zennith within that time frame.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 10:09am On Oct 26, 2020
ojeysky:
Right but he/she gave a 3months window and there will be no dividends on zennith within that time frame.
Lol. He can only get to do that when market is moving.
He should know these things doesnt work like that o......3 mths may become longer sometimes.
One of the reasons I said he should go for dividend paying stock, at least he can have some peace of mind if things doesnt go according to his plan, make he no come back come dey blame anybody.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ojeysky(m): 10:36am On Oct 26, 2020
Mcy56:

Lol. He can only get to do that when market is moving.
He should know these things doesnt work like that o......3 mths may become longer sometimes.
One of the reasons I said he should go for dividend paying stock, at least he can have some peace of mind if things doesnt go according to his plan, make he no come back come dey blame anybody.

Absolutely!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Tvegas(m): 10:40am On Oct 26, 2020
Mcy56:

Lol. He can only get to do that when market is moving.at least he can have some peace of mind if things doesnt go according to his plan, make he no come back come dey blame anybody.
Let's consider this scenario for the newbie

If he buys Zenith at N20 and we assume that Zenith is N21 on markdown date. After mark-down let's assume Zenith Loses another 10%. The actual return may be close to nil.

Of course you've balanced things by advising him on a low entry price.

A major issue will remain if Zenith will likely go down or up after Dividend declaration and by what margin?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Danniee(m): 10:59am On Oct 26, 2020
JapaupOil on full offer.......
No single bid at 20K. God dey ooooo.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by jideflash(m): 11:17am On Oct 26, 2020
i don reload on caverton at 1.80 and fbnh 5.9 last week. cool
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ojeysky(m): 11:18am On Oct 26, 2020
Danniee:
JapaupOil on full offer.......
No single bid at 20K. God dey ooooo.

JP and it's occasional moves eh
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Audacius: 11:26am On Oct 26, 2020
Pee2Jay9:
Hello everyone, great job y'all are doing here. Pls can someone kindly explain this stock business to me? I've been reading from page 6000 and I can only infer that it's buying and selling. Is it all to it?
How do one know when to buy?
How are the purchases done?
I know that experience will teach me which shares to buy or not buy, but kindly educate a lay man like me that is new to all this. Thanks alot

There are a lot of resources online. You can’t hack it without researching and reading. Keep reading, here and other sources.
The idea is not to start trading immediately. Like someone indicated, the market is going nowhere. When you are ready, it’s there. I started following the market as far back as 2003 and could only get actively involved from 2011.

However, summarily from me:
All companies you see are either privately owned (Ltd) or publicly quoted (Plc)
Publicly quoted companies allow anyone so interested to be a part owner (shareholder)
A shareholder becomes an owner by buying shares of the company after it has been broken down into shares.
Shares are units of any public quoted company.
The stock exchange (NSE) is the only Ladipo market for shares trading, where you can buy shares and sell those shares if no longer interested.
Shareholders profit from companies by 1) taking their share of profits(dividends) which can be once a year or two times.
2) by selling the shares they have whenever the price goes beyond the purchase price.
The dynamics of the above is why books have been written and we have over 6000 pages of rich insights, jokes, camaraderie, fights and insults on this thread. (Mind you very many other pages were lost during a glitch sometime ago).

I wonder if this counts as a summary though. Just my own way of providing answer to your question.

Peace.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Heishere: 11:30am On Oct 26, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

You will get 82 UPDC REIT shares for every 1000 UPDC shares

UACN should have there own court ordered meeting by first quarter of 2021. From my calculation you should be able to get 225 UPDC REIT shares for every 1000 UACN shares

Based on your calculation is it advisable to purchase UPDC shares at the moment?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by needful: 11:37am On Oct 26, 2020
Tvegas:

If he buys Zenith at N20 and we assume that Zenith is N21 on markdown date. After mark-down let's assume Zenith Loses another 10%. The actual return may be close to nil.

A major issue will remain if Zenith will likely go down or up after Dividend declaration and by what margin?

Reason why I always reserve fund to average down. My advice is always to invest 60% and keep 40% incase of market bears.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 11:59am On Oct 26, 2020
Tvegas:

You're right.
Actually, telling anyone to pick now is a risk in itself cos most of these stocks were begging buyers at very low bargain prices sometimes ago, don't know where some of them were around that time.
As for Zee, my choice of it remains that lots of funds are going in here, even at 20 and there's possibility of more upside. So picking at 20 is relatively okay .....with the intention to average down if price goes lower again.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 12:03pm On Oct 26, 2020
Lots of funds are going into GTB.
Lots of cross deals in millions.......this stock and Zenith may likely break out and witness new highs if it continues like this......

*Just my opinion and observation*

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Princkez: 12:09pm On Oct 26, 2020
Mcy56:
Lots of funds are going into GTB.
Lots of cross deals in millions.......this stock and Zenith may likely break out and witness new highs if it continues like this......

*Just my opinion and observation*
even WAPCO already doing #18
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Tvegas(m): 12:14pm On Oct 26, 2020
Mcy56:

As for Zee, my choice of it remains that lots of funds are going in here, even at 20 and there's possibility of more upside. So picking at 20 is relatively okay .....with the intention to average down if price goes lower again.
Yeah it's becoming tougher recommending stocks right now because most of them have done their appreciation. Investors should probably keep their cash and come back by March/April 2021.

If we can have the historical price behaviour of Zenith when dividend was paid between 2017 to 2019, that will be a good option. we may also be able to predict how much price will drop. I won't include 2020 because that Zenith drop was one of a kind.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 12:19pm On Oct 26, 2020
Princkez:
even WAPCO already doing #18
Sold some bargains at below 18 earlier
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ojesymsym: 12:26pm On Oct 26, 2020
Very good presentation skills. I like the reference to Ladipo market, like spare parts market like stock market.
Audacius:

There are a lot of resources online. You can’t hack it without researching and reading. Keep reading, here and other sources.
The idea is not to start trading immediately. Like someone indicated, the market is going nowhere. When you are ready, it’s there. I started following the market as far back as 2003 and could only get actively involved from 2011.

However, summarily from me:
All companies you see are either privately owned (Ltd) or publicly quoted (Plc)
Publicly quoted companies allow anyone so interested to be a part owner (shareholder)
A shareholder becomes an owner by buying shares of the company after it has been broken down into shares.
Shares are units of any public quoted company.
The stock exchange (NSE) is the only Ladipo market for shares trading, where you can buy shares and sell those shares if no longer interested.
Shareholders profit from companies by 1) taking their share of profits(dividends) which can be once a year or two times.
2) by selling the shares they have whenever the price goes beyond the purchase price.
The dynamics of the above is why books have been written and we have over 6000 pages of rich insights, jokes, camaraderie, fights and insults on this thread. (Mind you very many other pages were lost during a glitch sometime ago).

I wonder if this counts as a summary though. Just my own way of providing answer to your question.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by jideflash(m): 12:29pm On Oct 26, 2020
sold at 18.60, after riding from km11. good enough for now based on current EPS. there are other stocks with sweeter PE to plough my loot.

Mcy56:

Sold some bargains at below 18 earlier

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mcy56(f): 12:31pm On Oct 26, 2020
There's a banking stock people are overlooking and it's close to it's year low.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Tvegas(m): 12:34pm On Oct 26, 2020
jideflash:
sold at 18.60, after riding from km11. good enough for now based on current EPS. there are other stocks with sweeter PE to plough my loot.
You are very lucky, I tried selling some it kept dropping. The chances of selling Wapco at 18.80 was slim last week. Volume also matters.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6038) (6039) (6040) (6041) (6042) (6043) (6044) ... (7728) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.