Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,617 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? (43605 Views)

Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job / Linguistics And Mass Communication, Which Is More Relevant To The Society? / Political Science/international Relations, Which Is A Better Course??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Donaldmike(m): 6:47am On Dec 14, 2012
I have been thinking about this two courses. Which is the better between the two and which one has more job prospect in Nigeria.

Nairalanders, your insight is needed
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by ajayioluwatobi(m): 12:29am On Dec 16, 2012
lol..... Lipstick and mass fornication

7 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by lolaluv1(f): 12:05pm On Dec 16, 2012
The two are inter-related.
But I have a bias for linguistics because I feel the opportunities are endless...Forensics, Syntax, Psycholinguistics etc, are all hot cakes.

And as a linguist, you still fit into the mass media as an editor, writer or newscaster.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by DorcasKaruana: 2:31pm On Dec 17, 2012
Linguistics is broader than Mass Communication. You learn the writing, speaking, and reading. There are various disciplines such as: social linguistics, phonetics, phonology, Semantics, Pragmatics, Syntax e.tc. For Career wise, you can diversify to fields in communication such as writing, editing, reporting e.tc.

For Mass Communication it is a bot specialized and restricted to Communication alone. Journalism, media, editing e.t.c

www.careerpointkenya.com

5 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by linsa01(m): 12:00pm On Dec 19, 2012
As good as Linguistics is, Nigeria does not appreciate it. i am a graduate of Linguistics and i know what I'm talking about. the market value of this course is still very low in Nigeria. Media houses in Nigeria still prefer mass communication to Linguistics. some will even ask you what Linguistics is all about as if its a new course in Nigeria universities. The school you want to attend also matters. I am about to start my master's programme in Linguistics (for academics purposes anyway). You can inbox me for further advice owoslibrary@yahoo.com

3 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Donaldmike(m): 11:10am On Dec 25, 2012
So, you mean since ur graduation,u haven't secure any job with linguistic?@linsa01

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Donaldmike(m): 4:41pm On Sep 13, 2013
. the market value of this course is still very low in Nigeria. Media houses in Nigeria still prefer mass communication to Linguistics. some will even ask you what Linguistics is all about as if its a new course in Nigeria universities. The school you want to attend also matters. I am about to start my master' I want to change my course to english.Will that be a gud idea?
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Mubby4luv(m): 8:20am On Sep 14, 2013
Non ov them is better. too much people are on the field. its alwys hard to secure a job with those. #Just passing
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Tekzyflex(m): 8:23am On Sep 14, 2013
In Nigeria it doesn't matter what you read in school that determines your success. I will advice you to go for "Connection" as a course

14 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by lifestyle1(m): 8:25am On Sep 14, 2013
I think the OP has already made up his/her mind, thread created since 2012.

7 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by OkwaIfugo(m): 8:25am On Sep 14, 2013
Being a Linguist always sounds better than a communicator.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by IamAthens(m): 8:27am On Sep 14, 2013
First page please.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by ARico(m): 8:27am On Sep 14, 2013
Dude, go for linguistics

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Nobody: 8:27am On Sep 14, 2013
Donaldmike: I have been thinking about this two courses. Which is the better between the two and which one has more job prospect in Nigeria.

Nairalanders, your insight is needed
Geography is the best

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by charlsecy4(m): 8:28am On Sep 14, 2013
life_style: I think the OP has already made up his/her mind, thread created since 2012.

The thread will still help others in a similar position...

3 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by mployer(m): 8:28am On Sep 14, 2013
Are they not the same undecided
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by ARico(m): 8:28am On Sep 14, 2013
Linguistics is better but u must be brilliant and good reader to succeed

2 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 14, 2013
I don't really know much about Linguistics, but as an under grad and a student of mass communication, I can say mass comm. Is a great discipline. People who don't really know much about it tend to limit it. Once they hear mass comm, the only thing that crawls into their mind is news casting and journalism, but mass comm. Is a lot broader than that. There are endless possibilities in mass communications too, for those who feel mass comm is limited, I feel they should get their facts straight. If you ask me, I'd say Mass Comm has a wider job prospect in Nigeria than Linguistics.

14 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Emmyk(m): 8:29am On Sep 14, 2013
Dorcas Karuana: Linguistics is broader than Mass Communication. You learn the writing, speaking, and reading. There are various disciplines such as: social linguistics, phonetics, phonology, Semantics, Pragmatics, Syntax e.tc. For Career wise, you can diversify to fields in communication such as writing, editing, reporting e.tc.

For Mass Communication it is a bot specialized and restricted to Communication alone. Journalism, media, editing e.t.c

carrier opportunities as mass communicators: Journalists, broadcasters, editors, advertising practitioners, advertising and public relations consultants, public affairs analysts, corporate affairs or corporate communication managers, script writers, reporters, news/film directors, communication researchers, information officers, press secretaries, civil servants, lecturers, photographers, book publishers.

I love mass communication.

Tho my dad did Linguistics, and he worked with with a media house for many years, but when it comes to media professionalism, give it up for mass communicators, it's not only impeccable English that is needed in media house tho.

9 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by dheaven: 8:32am On Sep 14, 2013
Linguistics is better because anyone can claim to be a mass communicator but when it comes to linguistics you dare not claim what you are not.

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by lifestyle1(m): 8:32am On Sep 14, 2013
charlsecy4:

The thread will still help others in a similar position...

Okay, if you say so...
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Nobody: 8:33am On Sep 14, 2013
even SOCIOLOGY, can somebody help me what this course is all about and the job opportunities.. Please please
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by donphilopus: 8:35am On Sep 14, 2013
Just passing by..
I don't know anything concerning these Art Courses
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 14, 2013
Both courses are great but if I am to choose I would most likely go for linguistics, though it might be a bit more difficult. If you aint good with languages then go for masscom...
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Emmyk(m): 8:40am On Sep 14, 2013
R2bees1: even SOCIOLOGY, can somebody help me what this course is all about and the job opportunities.. Please please

it's a good course too. Sociologists study social change, social life, the causes and consequences of our behaviour.

So, they work everywhere. It's really wide. Sociology of masscomm, sociology of genrontology, criminology, sociology of medicine, sociology of Law. And many more

3 Likes

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Gialmine(f): 8:43am On Sep 14, 2013
linsa01: As good as Linguistics is, Nigeria does not appreciate it. i am a graduate of Linguistics and i know what I'm talking about. the market value of this course is still very low in Nigeria. Media houses in Nigeria still prefer mass communication to Linguistics. some will even ask you what Linguistics is all about as if its a new course in Nigeria universities. The school you want to attend also matters. I am about to start my master's programme in Linguistics (for academics purposes anyway). You can inbox me for further advice owoslibrary@yahoo.com

U ARE DAMN RIGHT! Linguistic is as good as masscom but mass communication gets more attention. In Nigerian, Linguistic is hardly recognized. Am studying Masscom and I think the reason for T̶̲̥̅ђΐ§ is that Masscom is more specialized. We have Broad Casting, News casting, Journalism etc
Ʊ get †̥ be an expert I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ your area of specialization. Buh wen it comes †̥ linguistic, it aint specialized. Ʊ got alota ideas...can work anywhere...you have many knowledges; buh you ar master of NONE. IMO!
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by LeftRebel(m): 8:43am On Sep 14, 2013
The only relevant courses are d ones that can put food on my table

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by amiskyberry(f): 8:47am On Sep 14, 2013
Well..ild say linguistics have better oppportunity,n endless possibilities...great linguists!!!unizik

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Katieposh(f): 8:54am On Sep 14, 2013
Sorry, but mass com is 'pure water'. It takes some1 with a broad thinking and mind 2do linguistics. Quack media houses are d ones seekin m.c over linguistics. Though mass comm got its own areana but limited. It baffles me when u say 'linguistics' and most Nigerians open their mouth and be like 'rollin eyes'. Great minds rollin bbc, al-jazera etc read this course. Peace out!

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by DONMAYOR19(m): 9:00am On Sep 14, 2013
Please is linguistic the Same thing as electrical/electronic engineering? If Yes Then go for it, But if no you better start running.......just passing by.
Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by coldgate(f): 9:02am On Sep 14, 2013
Go for Linguistics. I studied. English and Linguistics in both undergraduate and postgraduate levels and I can tell you that the oppourtunities are endless. I have been in Banking since graduation 7 yrs ago. There is virtually no place you can't fit into. You could even take Psycholinguistics and work in hospitals.

1 Like

Re: Linguistics And Mass Communication: Which Is The Better Course? by Fresia01(f): 9:04am On Sep 14, 2013
B4 i got admission, neva knew dia waz a course called linguistics n comm. I wntd 2 study masscom, buh i was given linguistics, as tym went on, i realized dat linguistics and comm graduates had more advantage ova graduates of masscom. U dnt jux learn d core facetz of language, u also have comm courses 2 add up 2 it. Though masscom have already made a name n gained recognitn, i tink linguistics is a beta option, they make gud communicatorz! In ma skul abia state uni<Absu>, masscom is nufin 2 write home with. Linguistics rocks! Did i make it 2 front page? If yes 2moro wil b ma tnks giving day! Oshee!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Car Painter, Oguntunbo Dies While Sleeping Inside A Car Parked In An Oven / Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss / Photo Of A Disabled Man Plastering A Wall That Shows Nobody Should Beg For Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.