Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,256 members, 7,807,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

What Has NYSC Done For You? - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / What Has NYSC Done For You? (10834 Views)

Has Nysc Outlived It's Purpose??? / Has NYSC Batch B Been Cancelled? / Has Nysc Outlived Its Purpose ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by tosrich(m): 11:30pm On Dec 26, 2012
kodkovski: NYSC isn't a waste if time it might not give u job thogh but it definately will tech u the basic thing u need to know. So don't miss out from this great experience

Like what?

the few months I spent before I delibrately stoped NYSC was a complete waste of time. I spent 4 good month in a local government in Ondo state without doing a single work or responsibility.

I understand it used to be fun back in those days, but now that the policy has changes which limits posting to EDUCATION AND AGRICULTURE sectors only, the whole things is boring and killing too.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by tosrich(m): 11:34pm On Dec 26, 2012
Naija_pikin 1: if your eyes cannot read clearly,then ask your grand-son to read for u. Didnt u see wer i said i gained dis, more, and national certificate. Anyways i was a CLO and if ur brain is calculative enuff, u‘d knw dat being a CLO coms wit touchin money. Dont eva misquote me again, eva!

you must be rich now. CLO, what a title, did you get a good job with it after service? now I understand.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by dljbd1(m): 11:57pm On Dec 26, 2012
KwoiZabo: I hate it when ppl say NYSC is a waste of time. U're meant to serve ur country & not to make money. Later they'll be d 1st to criticize our leaders when they've failed 2 contribute their quota. SMH

Story

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by bikokwe(m): 1:05am On Dec 27, 2012
Mr Poster doesn't sound like a UK graduate at all, perhaps he is trying to find out for a friend or smth grin
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by xandy84: 1:31am On Dec 27, 2012
Do you have a problem with that?.... He asked a question and reply him if you have answer or just walk pass nah.....

bikokwe: Mr Poster doesn't sound like a UK graduate at all, perhaps he is trying to find out for a friend or smth grin
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by GboyegaD(m): 2:20am On Dec 27, 2012
pDude: Bla bla bla bla bla!!! angry angry angry angry

Why all of una dey lie give the guy naw? As if I didn't do NYSC.

OP, let me give you a quick breakdown of NYSC: First you will be posted to a state you never imagined you would ever visit (that is if you don't have a friend or relative to runz it for you). Then you will start going from bus park to bus park trying to inquire on how the hell to get there. Thereafter, you will make numerous phone calls and browsing to know all the things you will need to survive camp.

In camp you will experience hardship of unknown proportions (since you claim to be a UK guy) and some of these include filthy bathrooms, inedible camp chow, continuous sweating it out on the parade ground, soldiers that wake you by 5am not caring that you went to bed just 4 hours ago. Also being a UK guy (as you claim) i am sorry for you because you will fill forms manually and queue for allowee. No computerized anything tongue. If you are not sharp, you can be on the queue all day long.

After camp, you will be posted to one hinterland secondary school where even their principal doesn't understand a word of english. Also get ready to start eating local foods that you can never imagine in your wildest imagination. Also stay away from the female indigenes of the place you are posted to. They see NYSC males as a means to an exit from poverty and oblivion in which they live in. You better take a lot of antibiotics and condoms with you because you can't tell the manner of plagues that will befall you. Also beware of female corp members because most of them are looking for husband and once you (as a UK guy) impregnate them, na marriage and UK green card them don get o!

A word is enough for the wise. JUst make the best of your service year and stay safe. Also shine your eyes and get ready to run at the slightest hint of tribal or religious uprising in your location.

Sorry if you had a terrible experience but some of us had a memorable experience that cannot be traded for any other thing in the world.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by aleeu299(m): 3:12am On Dec 27, 2012
i just can't point one conviciable reason.

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by engrfcuksmtin(m): 4:52am On Dec 27, 2012
I was retained after my service in the establishment where I served 7 years ago, still in the job till now. I also met friends that matters from different part of the country, I have friends from the six geo-political zone of the country.
Although the scheme has been bastardized especially with their policy on posting corp members to Education and Agriculture oriented estabs, I believe one can still benefit something out of the scheme. The present DG of NDLEA happen to be GEJ's friend during their NYSC at Ondo State.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 6:04am On Dec 27, 2012
^^GEJ served in Osun State
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by pastormmadu(m): 7:00am On Dec 27, 2012
ednut1: does NYSC help
with getting jobs in London - nah, if u wanna settle or work in a good comp, have political ambitions it good to do it, if not ur wastin ur time, am currently servin in a sh:it hole in abia state, u wudnt wanna face wat am facing, i adapt to anytin, did alevels in birmingham, in uk dey hv no business wit nysc, if u gt a job in uk stay

Wђy not abandon tђє national service aηϑ yσυ aя̩̥̊ε here running yøúř mouth...wђα̲̅t yσυ don't knw, don't say it. As long as yσυ aя̩̥̊ε a Nigerian, National Service ıs a must if yσυ must work in any multi-national coy acroSs tђє world no matter its location. Na̶̲̅ yøúř type that we pray not to have in tђiƨ̣̇̇ country, yσυ aя̩̥̊ε currently serving, yet yσυ aя̩̥̊ε discouraging sum1.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by baba11(m): 7:08am On Dec 27, 2012
Profidada: Well am currently serving in ekiti state. In my view i think it worth serving. It is a very vital tool for the federal government to promotes is policies and programmes through its various agencies such as mdgs, naca, nema etc. It gives you an opportunity to acquire skills, you learn the culture and traditions of others of which you may not have had such opportunity, you have access to loans provided by the scheme and its partner agency. Though there are challenges but the advantages far outweighed the disadvantages.
where are you serving in ekiti state because i also is serving there.
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by chigerald: 7:33am On Dec 27, 2012
I finished service october dis year too, with nysc still owing me 6 months allowee
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Chrisjane(f): 7:37am On Dec 27, 2012
Pls wot are d professional courses u re talkin about
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Cmeo(m): 7:45am On Dec 27, 2012
That 1 year thing called NYSC is a waste of time for exposed people including for thos who studied abroad. However, if u must serve, influence ur posting to ur place of interest, that way you will be add value to that 1 year of ur life. If not, exposed individual usual regret taking that one year out. Why I didn't regret so much of that one year is that I influenced my service to a place I had wanted to develop my interest although I wasnt a foreign student but I am exposed to some level (as a Founder/CEO of a company right from my days in school and international traveling expenrience). As some suggested, if u plan to work or take a political job, go for it as suggested above only, if not, do better thing with ur 1 year in UK instead
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by perrychocks(f): 7:50am On Dec 27, 2012
BodyKiss:

Why you dey lie like this?
lolz @ y u de lie like dis
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Chokolee(m): 7:53am On Dec 27, 2012
C me o: However, if u must serve, influence ur posting to ur
place of interest, that way you will be add value to that
1 year of ur life. If not, exposed individual usual
regret taking that one year out.
This english no be here o

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by paparazzi1987(m): 8:33am On Dec 27, 2012
slyfoxxjoe: Adele if ur still in d uk, give me ur number let me call and advice you. I'm in a similar position
YOU BE THIEF,WETIN U NEED THE GUY NUMBER FOR? Y U NO ADVICE AM HERE SO THAT OTHER PEOPLE WILL ALSO LEARN? undecided
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by busybee24: 9:26am On Dec 27, 2012
So what I gather is that the only point so far is to "gain experience of other cultures"- cute but ultimately worthless financially
and patriotism- again cute but at the expense of ones health and safety.
I also heard that there was a decree and most corpers are working now as teachers.. which if true is absolutely pointless as if you trained in anything but teachers college it is a disservice to the youth you are teaching.
Also heard that firms/govt arent retaining people anymore
also there is a lag in the payment of renumeration
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by bayowhoelse: 9:42am On Dec 27, 2012
Served smwia in nassarawa,finished ds oct..2me its a pure waste of time except U̶̲̥̅̊ wana learn abt D̶̲̥̅̊ culture finz
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by sunkoye: 10:05am On Dec 27, 2012
BodyKiss:

1000 likes grin

1 Like

Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by topearos(m): 1:55pm On Dec 27, 2012
my hands on my face for u, though, u need improvement on ur grammar...
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Pamperme: 2:05pm On Dec 27, 2012
Met my partner... grin grin grin

And boy, we had fun! I love you baby, if you reading my post wink kiss

Apart from that, one year of my precious life wasted doing that rubbish called "serving"! angry
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by tallfish145(m): 3:29pm On Dec 27, 2012
Jaidey-one:
Yet to experience it. looking forward to it though.

2nd to comment smiley
Me too
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by afm4ever(m): 9:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
grin Very interesting
Re: What Has NYSC Done For You? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 28, 2012
BodyKiss:

wot exactly z the lie?
Gettn opporunities, makin friends, needin d cert in nigeria? Which..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ebonyi State Batch B'14 Let's Meet Here / Can NYSC Grant A Permit For A Wedding? / 10 Important Things All 2017 Batch A Stream II Should Make Available Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.